• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Should I Make Checks Payable to for My First Show?

In summary, the consultant recommends that guests make their checks payable to the consultant, and recommends that if the host spends the money from the checks, the consultant should get the checks made to the consultant instead.
krhodes74
Good Afternoon, All
I haven't had my first show yet, I just got my kit and I am looking forward to starting next month. But I was wondering who do you make the checks to. Do you prefer the hostes to have all of them made to her so the responsiblity is to her, then she writes you a check. Or is it better to have them make them payable to you. I am swaying with both of them and just wanted some extra input. :D

I preferThat the guests make their checks payable to me. In the event of an NSF I would rather have one customers check come back, instead of a huge check from the host for all guest orders.

Also, sometimes a guest will not fill out their information completely on the order form and you can get contact information from the check.

Just my preference.

I have the guests make their checks out to the host and then the host writes me a check for the whole show. Once your business expands and you start doing shows where you don't even know the host: the customers are less likely to write their friend, the host, a bad check than to you, the consultant, who they will probably never see again.

Also, you shouldn't have to worry about the host writing you a bad check because she has the money to cover it by the checks she has from all her guests. Sometimes I reassure the host that I will not deposit her check until she deposits all the checks from the show.

Bottom line: you do what works best for you ;)

Host spent $$$$$....
jujubug said:
I have the guests make their checks out to the host and then the host writes me a check for the whole show. Once your business expands and you start doing shows where you don't even know the host: the customers are less likely to write their friend, the host, a bad check than to you, the consultant, who they will probably never see again.

Also, you shouldn't have to worry about the host writing you a bad check because she has the money to cover it by the checks she has from all her guests. Sometimes I reassure the host that I will not deposit her check until she deposits all the checks from the show.

Bottom line: you do what works best for you ;)

Unless the hosts spends the $$$ from those checks!! :eek: And I have had that happen twice! So, I also prefer to get the checks made to me!

ExactlyI have had that happen also and on $50 check is much better than a $700 check!

From now on I have everyone make their checks payable to me and I let everyone at my shows know that if at all possible, I prefer debit or credit cards. PC handles them and I do not need to do anything. I have once or twice, even offered to pay shipping if the guest pays with a credit card.

I agree with jujubug on this one. In almost five years, I've received only one NSF check from a Host (I'm knocking on wood right now!) and we were able to resolve the situation. I've always felt that guests are less likely to write a bad check to their friend than to me, a stranger.

So far, so good.

Just the oppositeIn 3 years the only check that has bounced was a show everyone paid the host and the host paid me. It took months to get the $$ from the host and get my checking account back on track. When a $700+ check bounces in your checking account that you barely make it from paycheck to paycheck, it hurts. It really negatively affected my family and household for a long time.

I will never go that route again. It is much easier to collect and re-coup from on small check. If I had everyone write their checks to me in that show, only the hosts check would have bounced, the show would not have been placed on hold, the orders would have arrived timely, the customer would be happy, which they weren't and some I lost for good, and none of my checks would have bounced and my household would not have been affected.

Just my opinion. Better safe than sorry. It's all about what your budget can afford to lose.

I also have guests make checks out to me. I feel that this is my business so I'm responsible for any "money problems" that should happen should someone write a bad check. I would hate it if my host had to deal with a bad check. I feel they are doing a show for me so I don't like to ask more from them than I have to. The hosts might be fine with it if I did have them write me one big check but I've never asked.

Host pays me!If I know the guests really well (once did a show fro a church member and I knew everyone there) I let them write the checks to me.
But in the event that I meet a stranger, do a show, I explain that she is in charge of getting the checks and then writing me one big check. I have never had a problem.
I never have a host give me any trouble about this. I explain how she needs to have all those checks deposited ASAP and that usually works out fine. Hosts understand that I shouldn't have to chase someone for money if they know them better than I do.
For big shows I give a small thank you gift for paying with credit card or I offer them 50 cents off shipping!! I get alot of credit card orders and they really appreciate the fact that they don't have to write a check. It works out better for me and my host.
Debbie

I always prefer debit or credit or cash for payment but if they give me a check I want it made out to me and so do my hosts. If the host collects the payments and a check bounces then her check could run the risk of not clearing. It is embarrassing to her and the guest and a pain for all. It the check is made out to me and it bounces I can call the person directly and she can work it out with me without any embarrassment. In 4 years I have had about 5 checks bounce and everyone was very quick to make good when it happened.

If you have any doubts about funds being in the account or need to get the show submitted before the checks are cleared you can go to THEIR bank and cash the check and then deposit the cash into your account.

BethCooks4U said:
I always prefer debit or credit or cash for payment but if they give me a check I want it made out to me and so do my hosts. If the host collects the payments and a check bounces then her check could run the risk of not clearing. It is embarrassing to her and the guest and a pain for all. It the check is made out to me and it bounces I can call the person directly and she can work it out with me without any embarrassment. In 4 years I have had about 5 checks bounce and everyone was very quick to make good when it happened.

If you have any doubts about funds being in the account or need to get the show submitted before the checks are cleared you can go to THEIR bank and cash the check and then deposit the cash into your account.
Beth:

I like your idea!

Now I live in a small city. It is actually called a village and we have one bank here. In the "bigger" city there is only three different banks. My little trick is that I have the guest write me the check and since the three banks are close to one another I will cash the checks at each bank. This way if there isnt enough in their account I can hold the check and not have it bounce on mine. It works. I have never had a problem. (knocking on wood).

For any outside orders before the show and for all orders at the show, I have them write the check to me. I then deposit all of those immediately the next day.

For orders after the show, I have them write them to the host and then she pays me for theirs and her order when she closes.

I always mention that I take all major credit cards, but have received a lot of checks lately. Just depends on the crowd.

In six months in the biz, I've already had one bounced check. The guest made good on it pretty fast with a money order for her order total PLUS the $10 fee my bank charged me.

1. Who should I make my checks payable to?

You should make your checks payable to the person or entity that you owe money to. This could be a company, individual, or organization.

2. Can I make a check payable to myself?

Yes, you can make a check payable to yourself. This is often done when you need to transfer money from one account to another or when paying yourself as a sole proprietor.

3. How do I know who to make my checks payable to?

If you are unsure of who to make your check payable to, you can contact the company or individual to whom you owe money. You can also check any invoices or bills you have received for the correct payee information.

4. Can I make a check payable to cash?

It is not recommended to make a check payable to cash. This can be risky as anyone who finds the check can cash it. It is best to make checks payable to a specific person or entity.

5. What happens if I make a mistake when writing the payee's name on a check?

If you make a mistake when writing the payee's name on a check, you should void the check and write a new one with the correct information. Using correction fluid or crossing out the incorrect name may make the check invalid.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PCJen
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
chefpenny99
  • chefsteph07
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
caraighan
  • barbara_anne