• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hilarious ER Mishap: My 3 Year Old Gets Pregnancy Test Instead of UTI Check!

In summary, a 3 year old girl did not have a urinary tract infection, but was also not pregnant after an ER test went too far.
Sheila
Gold Member
The ER was supposed to check for a urinary tract infection on my 3 year old last night, but the lab went a little overboard & did an extra test. So not only does she not have a UTI, I'm also pleased to announce that my 3 year old baby girl is NOT PREGNANT! LOL

I keep thinking this would be a good one for Jeff Foxworthy ...
If you have the ER check your 3 year old for pregnancy ... you MIGHT be a redneck!

Wow, these kids today! They keep starting earlier and earlier…

wow.

(i just wanted to just say wow, but i had to add this extra stuff so it would post...lol)

I'd make sure I didn't get charged for that one!

Here's a funny. My husband (who rarely uses the pc) was angry with me b/c the key board wouldn't work and I must have messed things up! He was on my laptop, which sits on the desk in front of the old desk top. He was using the wrong keyboard! When I sat down and started typing on the laptop, he started laughing and said oh, I used the pull out keyboard below the desk. Dough!

Haha! I got one too since we are doing laughs. I moved into a house once and had a bunch of folk help me...some guys hooked up my washer and dryer.Later on, I was doing clothes but had no hot water. I called the plumber thinking something was wrong. He came to the house and turned the hot water spigot on....charged me $75 too! I had no clue!That was the biggest DUH award of my life!

You girls are funny!

Barb, I'm on an overseas military base so all of our healthcare is free. ;)

Thanks for the good laugh this morning! Would have been worse if she was 15 and it said YES!

True! She's lucky she's only 3 and it was negative! ;)

Sheila, do they have babies that young in Japan? Still trying to figure out why they even tested her! Too funny! Or oh boy, what if it said yes??

LOL!! My 9mo was once tested for pregnancy in error, so they had to draw again. I've got a funny one. We were out at dinner with a friend and his new GF. She just started working at a bank and said that the other tellers were so fast typing and she thinks it has something to do with that "NUM LOCK" button. I almost peed my pants. She was using the #'s across the top.

Heather, until the body goes through puberty, it's not possible for a female to carry a child. You have to have the ability to have a menstrual cycle and ovulate to conceive. ;) The human body doesn't allow girls to hit puberty until they are big enough to carry a baby and they have enough body fat to sustain a pregnancy. I was watching something on the Discovery Channel a few years back & they were explaining how teens with more body fat tend to hit puberty at an earlier age than the ones who are super skinny. Thinking back to all the girls I've know, that's so true!!! The really skinny ones were much older when they hit puberty than the girls I knew who were average size and the average sized girls started later than the ones who were heavy set. It was all very interesting!!!

ETA: Oh, and it was the American Military who tested her, not the Japanese. ;)

Sheila, either your doctors are bored out of their minds and need things to do or they need a little lesson on looking at the details in the files! Thank goodness they did not decide to remove something! Amyskitchen, I go to school at a tech school where they also teach medical billing and such. This one lady, and I feel sort of bad for her as I do not think she has ever dealt with a computer before. She was having problems with one of the learning programs as it froze. The instructor told her to shut everything down then restart the computer. Well, she had no idea how to shut it down so she disconnected every possible cord and cable attached to it. The problem, she had no idea where to put anything back! Later the same problem occurred at the same place in the learning program, it turns out the program stops for several minutes, and it says it will, while the student has to do something. Way to funny!

John, the instructions said UTI test. It was the lab who went crazy & did the pregnancy test too. ;)

John, that's like one of the horror stories of someone trying to help another person over the phone for 15 min's to try & solve their computer issues only to find out that their computer is not working due to a power outage. LOL

Oh, me, me!! I have a DOH moment!

A year or so ago our phones stopped working and we could not connect to the internet or cable. All three services were through Comcast, and I happen to have a friend who works there as a trainer. Of course, she's the first person I called, and after she asked a couple of questions she suggested I call Comcast to have a tech come out. She also mentioned if the problem was not due to equipment or line failure, I'd be charged for the visit. Well, of course it was there error! What could I possibly have done to cause this?? So, I called and scheduled a tech to come out the next morning. An hour or so later I called back and cancelled the visit - after realizing my hyper kitten had unplugged the modem! Duh moment, but would have been worse if the tech had discovered it!

That's funny Sarah! Glad you found the source before they came out. ;)

Sheila, Silly I know she couldn't actually have been pregnant, I just was wondering if the Medical Professionals knew that!

It was the lab techs who made the error. Don't get me started on "Governement run healthcare systems" ... I'd change a lot of things if I could! LOL

Oh I needed that laugh Sheila. The stupidity of some people who just don't pay attention, but man oh man...that is funny!

1. Can a pregnancy test really be mistaken for a UTI check at the ER?

Unfortunately, yes. In some cases, the packaging for pregnancy tests and UTI checks can look very similar, leading to mix-ups in busy emergency rooms.

2. How did this mix-up happen in the first place?

It's likely that the person administering the test was in a hurry and didn't carefully read the label on the package. Hospitals and clinics can be very busy places, and mistakes can happen when medical professionals are rushed.

3. Is this a common occurrence at the ER?

While it's not extremely common, mix-ups like this can happen at any medical facility. That's why it's important for patients to double check with their healthcare provider to ensure they are receiving the correct treatment.

4. Was the child in any danger from taking a pregnancy test?

No, pregnancy tests are not harmful to anyone, regardless of their age or gender. The main issue is that the child received an unnecessary test and the parents had to pay for it.

5. How can I avoid a similar mix-up at the ER?

If you have concerns about the treatment you are receiving or if something seems off, don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions. You can also double check with the medical staff to make sure you are receiving the correct test or medication. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Back