• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Embracing Change: The Message of Who Moved My Cheese

In summary, the mice in the maze change, so does the cheese. The book is a 30-45 minute read and it is a parable about the relationship between humans and cheese.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, how many have read this book?

It is a book by Dr. Spencer Johnson who wrote One Minute Manager and other business books.

It is a great 30-45 minute read.

"Change can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective. The message of Who Moved My Cheese? is that all can come to see it as a blessing, if they understand the nature of cheese and the role it plays in their lives. Who Moved My Cheese? is a parable that takes place in a maze. Four beings live in that maze: Sniff and Scurry are mice--nonanalytical and nonjudgmental, they just want cheese and are willing to do whatever it takes to get it. Hem and Haw are "littlepeople," mouse-size humans who have an entirely different relationship with cheese. It's not just sustenance to them; it's their self-image. Their lives and belief systems are built around the cheese they've found. Most of us reading the story will see the cheese as something related to our livelihoods--our jobs, our career paths, the industries we work in--although it can stand for anything, from health to relationships. The point of the story is that we have to be alert to changes in the cheese, and be prepared to go running off in search of new sources of cheese when the cheese we have runs out.
Dr. Johnson, coauthor of The One Minute Manager and many other books, presents this parable to business, church groups, schools, military organizations--anyplace where you find people who may fear or resist change. And although more analytical and skeptical readers may find the tale a little too simplistic, its beauty is that it sums up all natural history in just 94 pages: Things change. They always have changed and always will change. And while there's no single way to deal with change, the consequence of pretending change won't happen is always the same: The cheese runs out."--Lou Schuler

In regards to incentives, your cheese just got moved...how are you going to react to it? Like Hem and Haw, not happy with the change and you are going to sit until someone puts it back or like Sniff and Scurry and going after the next incentive.

Change Happens
They Keep Moving The Cheese
Anticipate Change
Get Ready For The Cheese To Move
Monitor Change
Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old
Adapt To Change Quickly
The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese
Change
Move With The Cheese
Enjoy Change!
Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!
Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again & Again
They Keep Moving The Cheese.

My last general manager loved to have us watch motivational movies. Who Moved My Cheese was one of them. Wish I could remember what the others were because while they were all "cheesy" (pardon the pun!) they had great lessons to learn.

Good point Janet. We all have to make that decision in regards to what we want out of our business now. I have not read this book, but my hospitality director recommends it to everyone.

And I want to say thank you for being a motivator.

Janet-
I see why your director thinks you are leader material.
Thanks for the positive motivation.
I've always enjoyed a good maze! :)

Shawnna said:
Good point Janet. We all have to make that decision in regards to what we want out of our business now. I have not read this book, but my hospitality director recommends it to everyone.
Some, like Scott Adams (who I also love - author of Dilbert) criticize this book as another "motivational fable" but I still like it.No matter what, things are going to change..."Change is inevitable, growth is optional."We can choose to like to dislike change and at what level to react. I would prefer to present viable solutions to those who are decision-makers not "Hem and Haw" over things. If the change isn't to my liking, I have to find my own cheese and make myself happy.On the related incentives topic, if I don't like to recruit or don't want to, I'll just try to sell more and save money for a trip. If I sell $55,000 (approx.) of product, I've earned enough to take my own trip! :)

Last edited:
climbercanoe3 said:
Janet-
I see why your director thinks you are leader material.
Thanks for the positive motivation.
I've always enjoyed a good maze! :)
Thank you and thank you too Shawnna...I've actually had a rough week so far at work so compliments are appreciated. :) It is sometimes a struggle to stay positive (especially as women) but it makes a BIG difference at work, at home and out and about.

I got this book as a gift from my supervisor at a job years ago. Totally forgot about it! This is a perfect time to reflect on the lessons in that book! Whether is change regarding recruiting requirements, the focus on building a team, changing to a more interactive show format, etc it's all in the attitude you have about it. It is a fast read. Great thread!!:)

I have carried this book and a couple of the "Fish Tales" books around in my car for a couple of months thinking that one day while in the car rider line I would actually read them again. I really need to! I loved these the first time around, but it has been at least 8 years or so since I have read them. Thanks for inspiring me to actually read them again while I'm in that dreaded car rider line instead of just leaving them sitting in the floor board! :D

I read this book many, many years ago before going through a MAJOR merger at a law firm I worked at and it was actually a requirement for all of us on the conversion team. Anyway, it is a great - and funny read. It sure does bring the point home! :)

janetupnorth said:
Some, like Samuel Adams (who I also love - author of Dilbert) criticize this book as another "motivational fable" but I still like it.
Off topic, but I think you mean Scott Adams. Samuel Adams was a Revolutionary War patriot.

Back on topic:
One of my long-term clients for work was obsessed with the Fish Tales book. To the point that they named the "streets" among the cubicles with names of different varieties of fish. The problem was that they had all these cute little superficial ways to tie things in, but the theories were never implemented deeper than that.

Some, like Samuel Adams (who I also love

After the last day or so on this sight, I immediately thought you meant the beer. lol

I'll have to look for that book. Thanks for the suggestion.

RebelChef said:
After the last day or so on this sight, I immediately thought you meant the beer. lol

I'll have to look for that book. Thanks for the suggestion.

Marisa & Ann - fixed - WAY TOO FUNNY! ...and I don't even drink!

...AND my Dilbert calendar is right in front of me!

My husband read that book. I wasn't the least bit curious about it, but I guess it may be worth a peek.

Thanks!

ThanksJanet,

Thank you for starting a positive thread! I appreciate it!!

:)

Thanks, Janet. I have heard about the book, but haven't read it. I'll have to add it to my reading list.

1. What is "Who Moved My Cheese?"

"Who Moved My Cheese?" is a best-selling book written by Spencer Johnson that uses a fictional story to illustrate the importance of embracing change and adapting to new situations.

2. Why is "Who Moved My Cheese?" relevant for Pampered Chef employees?

As a company that focuses on providing kitchen tools and recipes to make cooking easier, "Who Moved My Cheese?" can help employees understand the importance of adapting to changes in the market and continuously improving our products and services.

3. How can "Who Moved My Cheese?" help me in my career at Pampered Chef?

The book can help you develop a growth mindset, which is essential for personal and professional development. It can also provide valuable insights on how to handle changes and challenges in the workplace.

4. Is "Who Moved My Cheese?" only relevant for employees at Pampered Chef?

No, the book is relevant for anyone in any industry. The lessons and principles in the book can be applied to personal and professional situations in any field.

5. Can I purchase "Who Moved My Cheese?" through Pampered Chef?

No, "Who Moved My Cheese?" is not a Pampered Chef product. However, you can purchase the book through various retailers or borrow it from a local library.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kaiser
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • scottcooks