• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Buys Their Own Ingredients?

In summary, Lee Anne buys the ingredients for her cooking shows, and she always includes a $20 check for the host to cover the cost of their food. She also tells the host and guests at the beginning of her show. She sends out the invitations, pays for the postage, and buys the groceries for the show.
Christa
I am thinking of starting to purchase ingredients and give the host the receipt when I get to her house. Seems like it would be easier if I could do some prep at home and always be sure that I am going to have all the correct ingredients for every show. Anyone do this?

I'm considering this option. It does make it easier. I bought the ingredients for the two fundraisers I did this week and last, and it made the prep so much easier and shorter. It worked out GREAT! Plus, who doesn't like to be saved a trip to the grocery store?!!?

Yes, I usually always buy the indgredients. They either buy the wrong thing or forgot something. Preparing some things ahead of time, saves time in the demo giving you more time on the products.

I buy the ingredients for my shows. It makes it so much easier on many levels. 1. I don't have to worry if they have everything or if they bought "cheap" stuff. 2. I can get so much prep work out of the way making for a quicker show! 3. The hosts love not having to go to the store!

Lee Anne

I buy the ingredients for my shows and then I have them reimburse me $10 and I have them get their own drinks. I figure the $5 will cover the drinks and everyone always wants different things anyways. I bring the receipt along just incase but no one has ever questioned it and I just tack it on to the hosts payment.

I buy the groceries for my hosts. They seem to like it and it takes the stress off of them and me. Being a control freak :) I like to know the groceries will all be there when I get to their house.

I just tell them when going over the hostess packet that pc gives them $15 for the groceries so I will take care of going shopping for them all they have to do is have a check for $15 ready for me when I get to their house the day of the cooking show. everyone loves it and has the check ready when I get there.

Your hosts seem to prefer you buying the ingredients? I haven't done that yet. I've had decent luck so far, but I do worry if they buy the right stuff.

Just started this month...In Vienna, I met a fellow Director that suggested buying the ingredients for my shows. I have bucked the idea for over a year:rolleyes: ...but I figured I would give it a try. Everyone LOVES it...I LOVE it!!! :D I love being able to prep the food at my house in the afternoon when I am not sooooo busy! My hosts love not having to go to the grocery store :p (especially my out of town hosts that live in small towns where groceries are so much more!)

Another director in Vienna told us how she approached the subject of payment for food. I have been using this and it works like a charm! When I send my guest list for the host I include a note that I need a $20 check returned with the guest list to cover the cost of her food for the demonstation. For me, this covers the demo recipe, dessert recipe and I recover part of my shipping costs. :D

Love my fellow directors for all of their advice! We work for the best company!!

I buy the ingredientsFor a while I was kind of all over the place - sometimes I would, sometimes I wouldn't, but then I'd forget who I told what, so I made it standard practice to buy the ingredients. I don't ask to be reimbursed, unless we're doing more than 2 recipes, which is VERY rare (then I give them the option - I'll pick up the groceries and they can reimburse me, or they can pick them up). I also limit my choices so that they're not choosing something too costly.

I like buying the ingredients for all the reasons others have suggested. I love prepping ahead of time, I like knowing I have everything, etc. Also, this is my gift to the host, and I announce that at the beginning of the show. I pass around the Season's Best and have everyone "autograph" it, and then I tell them my second gift is that I buy the groceries and they get to keep the leftovers. My 3rd gift is that I send out the invitations and pay for the postage, so usually they're getting about a $20 value gift from me. I tell the host and guests, "PC does an excellent job rewarding our hosts with free and discounted products, so the groceries, stamps and time saved, are on me."

The peace of mind it gives me is worth every cent (and of course, tax write off!). Since sending out the invitations myself I have seen fewer show cancellations, higher attendance, and increased bookings, and buying and prepping the ingredients saves me time at the show. I truly make it easy on my hosts to have a show. During the show, I ask the host when I thank her for hosting, "Susie, please tell us how hard was it to gather a few friends and earn a free shopping spree," and she'll go on to say how easy it was, and she's usually the person to tell everyone that I provided the ingredients and mailed the invites.

Diane

food and stampsI have been sending out the invitations since the beginning of the year and it has been working out great, too! I just recently heard of buying the ingredients and I love the idea, but the idea of paying for postage and maybe now the food, discourages me. I really want to start buying the food, because I realize it will be a time saver and great when I get to shows. I'm thinking of asking for $10 to cover the food and the host can be in charge of the drinks.

dianevill, I love how you work it into your shows! I think before I rule out charging the host, I'm going to look at my recipe selections. Some of the recipes I suggest include alcohol drinks. Stuff like that I think I'll keep them in charge of.

I have been buying the ingredients and sending out postcards for my hosts since the beginning of the year. I let the host know that she can reimburse me for the postage and ingredients the day of the show. I always point out that the company is giving them a $15 Hospitality Bonus to cover such expenses.

My hostess love that I do all the work and they have no problem giving me a check at the start of the party. This way there is no expense out of my pocket and I can still present them with a gift during the show. :cool:

Do you all typically do one recipe or two? I typically only do one recipe, and then I have them have something opposite to go with it...for instance, if I'm doing the dessert, they need to have something savory. If I'm doing the savory dish, then they need to have something sweet. Just wondering how this would factor in to the situation.

I buy the Ingredients too!I love this for all the reasons all the threads previous have said and more! I started using it to my advantage as a booking tool a few months back. I tell the host that if she gets someone to book a show, I will pay for the ingredients. During the show, I mention this to the guests and it has worked for my last 5 shows. Seems like everyone wants to help out a friend, right? :D It builds excitement, because then the person that books off of that show is already talking about who will book off of her so she does not have to pay for her ingredients.;)

I only do one recipe. I really like the booking idea and paying for the ingredients. Then I can return her money back to her in front of everyone. I could see how that would build excitement.:)

I have always bought ingredients from the get go of my biz. It works out perfectly. I do the shopping as a :"convenience gesture" to my host but at the same time I get most of my prep work done at home. I hand them the receipt at show day and they always reimburse me that day or with their total.
Only 1 host ? paying the ingredients cost and that was because her consultant many years ago paid it, so I waived the $8 it cost because I didn't mind keeping the extra ingredients for another show.
I couldn't imagine doing it any other way!

I think I might start doing the same thing. The other night I did a fair. Two people won $25 gift certificates off me, but everyone who put a ballot in my batter bowl would receive free ingredients from me if they hosted a show.

I think I might continue providing the ingredients for each show for future bookings and have them reimburse me. Hey they get it back again at the end of their show with free products so everyone wins in the end!

thanks for the great suggestion

Cheers:rolleyes:

I think I am going to give this a try!

I've done it both ways. First six shows I bought and paid for the groceries. I
was so thankful to have the bookings. Later gave the hostess the list, and then worried that they might forget something (not so). Last three shows the hostess bought ingredients. One was so enthused, she did so much prepping to be ready that it just about killed my demo. I'm leaning toward doing the shopping, cause I use coupons and shop sales for the ingredients I use frequently. I really like the idea of telling the hostess you will pay for the ingredients if she gets you at least one booking. I could use that boost. Let them decide their own beverages (at least 25% of my hostess' served wine) and I have recently been offering to bring one sample packet of PC coffee. It has not led to any sales so I'm not sure if I will continue that. Everyone's suggestions are so helpful in confirming that I am on the right track.
I have been sending out the invitations and paying for the postage. The numbers attending do seem to be improved when I do. When I just print up the invites and depend on the hostess to get them out, the parties have been smaller in number and dollars.

I always purchase the ingredients for my hosts. And I don't ask for a reimbursement. I call this my hostess gift and they LOVE it.

It works great for me as I bulk shop and I can now do a most shows, for $4.00 for one recipe and $7.00 for two.

I do the same recipe all month unless it is a booking off a show in the same month then I will change it up a little, but not so much that it costs me any more.

It is well worth it for me and since most of my hosts right now are repeat host and they have the "gifts" already, they like this better!

Now if I mail the invitations, I let the host know that must be reimbursed.

I buy all of the ingredients for my shows and as the host for the $15 she gets in hospitality credits. I have not had a problem so and it works so much better being able to do some of the prep work ahead of time, especially on my weeknight shows after a long day at the office!

I too purchase my own ingredients. I really like doing it this way even though I was very stubborn about trying it. Don't remember why now. I have my prep work done a head of time and then I get to take my time setting up and getting to know my host and her friends.

I have done both, and I must say, I feel soooo much better when I do the shopping. So many times, I will write plum tomatoes down (and explain them, not sure why this is so hard) but have gotten grape tomatoes.. Do YOU KNOW how HARD it is to try and slice those!!!!:eek: I was doing a ring, so it needed to have some tomatoes, and I couldn't just leave them whole!! So I like to know that I did the correct shpping, and don't have anything to worry about!

Thanks for all your answers. I am going to start bringing the ingredients. I liked what someone said about not having the host reimburse you if there's a booking from her show. The extra incentive may get the host to ask around for bookings.

I have been taking the ingredients for about 9 mos now. I also send out the invitations for them. I have them send me a check for $15 (& tell them they get it back in PC prod) when they send me their guest list. For my benefit - it is like a "deposit" of sorts, I do prep before the show at my house (it has cut prep time at their house in half - less stress), and I buy most of it at once because I do the same recipe all month. For their benefit - not going to the store, and really if I gave them the list for 2 recipes they may end up spending more than $15, and it saves them from finding things that are a little out of the ordinary for them and may take some searching.

I was having problems with cancellations last summer and I read these ideas on this board - it has made a HUGE difference in my business! Thanks to all those who mentioned this idea last year!!!!

I like the idea of giving them their money back for a booking - I'd probably do it as a booking OUTSIDE the guests at the show - and probably give them $15in products AT that booking's show.

DeeisPampered said:
I always purchase the ingredients for my hosts. And I don't ask for a reimbursement. I call this my hostess gift and they LOVE it.
It works great for me as I bulk shop and I can now do a most shows, for $4.00 for one recipe and $7.00 for two.

You sold me! I just told my Friday host that I am bringing the ingredients!

I have been buying the ingredients for the past year. I like being able to have everything I need. I have drove up to a hosts house as she was leaving to go get the ingredients. On top of that she said "go on in, my husband is home"....you talk about awkward!! When she finally returned she had the wrong ingredients. We made do. I didn't tell her she had the wrong things, I just used what she bought. It actually turned out okay.

:rolleyes:

"I Buy"I like to buy that way I know that it's fresh and not an off the wall brand that doesn't do so well in the recipes.

THe hostesses love when I shop because they are too busy doing other things and this also gives you the opportunity to prep ahead of time instead of wondering if they have done what they are supposed to do.:)

I like the idea-- I just don't know if I should ask for reimbursement from the host or just write it off.

Depending on how many shows you do a month, it could get expensive and start to eat up your profits to not ask for payment for the ingredients. The only time I don't charge them the $15 is if they have 15 buying guests in attendance or 3 show bookings scheduled by the end of the next month.

I shop for my Hosts and I do it 2 times a month! I shop in bulk that way it is cheaper for my Hosts when it comes time for them to reimburse me! I shop for the first 2 weeks at one time then for the last 2 weeks at one time and it really works out great for me.

I have not had one Host complain about the way I do this. All they have to do is get me their invitation list and clean their house that is it. Why would you not like it?

I do have a set menu for the month and that is what I work with and my Hosts are okay with that. If I need to do a specialty show then that Host will of course have to pay for that ingredients alone and they are aware of that upfront. By bulk shopping I save my Host's a lot of money. It will usually end up costing each of them anywhere between $12-$15 at the most and this usually covers up to 2 recipes. (not always 2 recipes though). I just have them pay me for the ingredients at the time we close their show by adding the cost to their order so they don't have to write more than one check.

On the plus side for me as the Consultant, I know that I have ALL the ingredients, I can have some of the prep work done ahead of time before I even leave my house and this allows me time to talk with my Host at her/his home before our guests start arriving because I have the prep work done!!! This may not work for everyone but for me is works out very well and I will continue to do it!:)

Buying the ingredientsI love the idea of buying the ingredients as another added benefit to the host, but those of you who have the host reimburse you - what do you say to them about it? I would feel uncomfortable asking them to pay me, but I think it's fair that they do, so how do I approach that? :eek:

I have been for years!I had a terrble mix up at a show once because the host did not buy three of the correct items needed for the recipe. It was my own fault because the list I made up did not specify whether the olives needed to be pitted or not, what type of oil was needed and something else. Anyway, we ended up with only a partially good recipe. (It acutally tasted quite different than the original recipe did and was not as good either. The veggie oil instead of olive oil made a big difference.)
Anyway, I started doing the shopping after that.
When we introduced the new host bonus program it actually made it easier to ask the hosts for money. The $15 hospitality was put in to offset their cost of food. So I just ask for a check or cash for $15 when I get to their home.
Most of the time I go slightly over. Very rarely am I under.

Here is what I say: "Joanne, I am also going to do the food shopping. This will save you alot of time and this way too I know we have exactly what we need for the recipe. All I need from you is $15. If I go over, that's my problem. (Write it off of course!) The Pampered Chef has given each Cooking Show Host a bonus $15 for hospitality. That is for the cost of the food. So, since I am doing the shopping, I will need to get that back from you. Will that be OK?"
I have never gotten a NO from anyone. When they realize they do not have to shop, they all say YES!
Works great!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shelbi
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Shelbi
Replies
Views
gilliandanielle
  • heat123
  • Pampered Chef Bookings