• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

White Chicken Chili: Too Spicy or Just Right?

In summary, the author used two small poblano peppers instead of one, and she was considering using one poblano and one green pepper for her show. The author also used her own taco seasoning mix and it had only 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. The author doesn't want her salsa to be too spicy for the guests, and she would like to know if anyone used a regular green pepper and if it tasted too strong or not. Next time, the author might mash up one can of beans and leave the other can whole. Lastly, the author wishes she had time to try out a bunch of salsa.
AmaraJ
Okay, for those of you that have made this, I'd love some feedback...we just made it last night and it was delish, but I thought it was way too spicy for a show, so I have a couple questions.

I used 2 smallish poblano peppers. I'm considering using 1 poblano and 1 green pepper for the show...do you think it would alter the taste much? Do poblanos really pack that much heat?

And...I used my own taco seasoning mix for my test round. The only heat that was added to the seasoning was 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. I just received the SW Seasoning yesterday, so will use that at the show, but can someone tell me if that has much spice in it?

I guess I just don't want it to be to much for the guests and I know some people can handle no amount of spice in their food.

Thanks!

Well, I just found another thread on this, so if you answered on that, you don't have to on this one! Sometimes, I don't have the patience to browse through all the great info on here.

I guess I would like to know if anyone used a regular green pepper and if it tasted too strong or not?

I would use half of the poblano pepper. I found it to be a bit spicy too.

did you all think the masher mashed the garlic enough? I used my garlic press as well very messy not sure I'd do it as a demo

The heat of your salsa will also have a big impact. If you get an "authentic" brand from the Latino section, get mild. If you get one from the "gringo" section of the store (with the Old El Paso or ChiChi's brand...), you can get medium and it should be safe. I've also made it with 1 poblano instead of 2 and it was much cooler. Be careful, too, about getting a pepper that's actually a poblano. The Meijer near me has had other peppers marked as Poblanos the last couple of times I've gone in.

I actually don't have the masher called for in the recipe, and honestly, I don't remember what I used for the garlic...maybe just a fork. After the garlic cooled, I did put it back in the micro for another 2 minutes because it wasn't nearly soft enough. I'm used to baking it for almost an hour in the oven and it is pretty much like mush by that point. So...I also know that i left the pieces of garlic fairly large - some about the size of the beans. After cooking it so long, it will loose it's intense garlic flavor and be extremely mellow.

Next time, I think I might kind of mash up one can of beans and leave the other can whole...maybe make it a little creamier.

I wish I had time to try out a bunch of salsa. I love green salsa, but at our house, we usually get red, so I'm not as familiar with the brands. The one I did get was mild, but in the Ethnic section. Good idea going with a run of the mill brand, though - I'll probably do that!

1. What ingredients do I need for white chicken chili?

To make white chicken chili, you will need chicken breast, white beans, chicken broth, onion, garlic, green chilies, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and optional toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro.

2. Can I use a different type of meat instead of chicken?

Yes, you can use any type of meat you prefer such as ground turkey, pork, or beef. However, the flavor may vary slightly from the traditional white chicken chili recipe.

3. How do I thicken the chili if it is too thin?

You can use a cornstarch slurry by mixing equal parts cornstarch and water and adding it to the chili while it is simmering. Alternatively, you can also blend some of the beans or use a can of refried beans to thicken the chili.

4. Can I make this chili in a slow cooker?

Yes, you can make white chicken chili in a slow cooker. Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. You may need to adjust the amount of liquid and cooking time depending on your slow cooker.

5. How can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?

To make this recipe vegetarian, you can omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. For a vegan option, you can also substitute the chicken with tofu or extra beans and use vegetable broth. You may also need to adjust the seasoning to your liking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• turtle15
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
mpkegley
Replies
Views
chefann