• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Southern Biscuits 101: Learn the Best Recipe & Baking Pan

In summary, Janet shared a recipe for biscuits and gravy using a variety of pans, and Big-Haired shared a recipe from the south that uses Bisquick.
has anyone read the book "The Glass Castle"???? In it, the grandmother feeds her grandchildren lard sandwiches!!!!!!!!!! It is a memoir, so the story is true...decent book, nasty grandma!

According to the Wikipedia site, lard is used in some cultures as a substitute for butter. If you think about it, it's really similar in that it's solid fat. So not a whole lot of difference, although lard wouldn't be kosher.

Mmmmm pig renderings.... (drool)

chefann said:
According to the Wikipedia site, lard is used in some cultures as a substitute for butter. If you think about it, it's really similar in that it's solid fat. So not a whole lot of difference, although lard wouldn't be kosher.
Chef Ann, you are a wealth of knowledge :) I don't eat butter that much either though.

Laura's Town Party Lemonade

You will need:
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 large lemons
3 cups cold water
Ice

2-cup measuring cup
Long-handled spoon
Sharp knife
Juicer (and, if juicer is slotted, a bowl to set it on)
Pitcher
6 glasses

Add the water to the sugar in the measuring cup; stir to dissolve. Set aside.

Roll the lemons on the counter with your palm a few times to make them juicier. Cut the lemons in half. Set the juicer over the bowl and squeeze as much of the juice out of the lemons as you can. If you have the kind of juicer with its own catch basin, be sure to remove any seeds. Pour the juice into the pitcher.

Stir the sugar water into the lemon juice, then add the cold water and stir. Taste the lemonade to see if it is sweet enough. Pour the lemonade over ice in six tall glasses to serve.

Laura's County Fair Custard Pie

You will need:
4 eggs
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons vanilla
2½ cups milk, scalded (heated almost to boiling)

Measuring cup and spoons
Medium-sized bowl
Eggbeater or whisk
Wire rack
I unbaked 9" pie shell in a pie tin
Nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 475º.

Break the eggs into the bowl and beat them lightly. Mix in the sugar, salt, and vanilla. Slowly stir in the scalded milk. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Put the pie into the oven and bake it for 5 minutes at 475º. Turn the heat down to 425º and continue baking for about 12 more minutes, or until a knife stuck into the center comes out clean.

Take the pie out of the oven and cool it on the wire rack. If you are not going to eat the pie right away, put it in the refrigerator to chill. Store any leftover pieces in the refrigerator. (But if you like this pie as much as Almanzo did, you may not have any left!)

<h2>1. What are the key ingredients needed for a traditional southern biscuit?</h2><p>The key ingredients for a traditional southern biscuit include all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and buttermilk. Some recipes may also call for a small amount of sugar or shortening.</p><h2>2. Can I use regular milk instead of buttermilk in my biscuit recipe?</h2><p>While you can use regular milk in your biscuit recipe, the texture and flavor will not be the same as using buttermilk. Buttermilk helps create a tender and tangy biscuit, so it is recommended to use it if possible. If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before using in your recipe.</p><h2>3. Should I use a stoneware barpan or a sheet pan to bake my biscuits?</h2><p>Both stoneware barpans and sheet pans can be used to bake biscuits, but the results may differ slightly. Stoneware barpans tend to produce a crispier crust, while sheet pans may result in a softer and fluffier biscuit. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of texture you prefer in your biscuits.</p><h2>4. How do I know when my biscuits are done baking?</h2><p>The best way to tell if your biscuits are done baking is by checking the color and tapping the tops. Biscuits should have a golden brown color and a slightly firm top when done. You can also insert a toothpick or knife into the center of a biscuit to see if it comes out clean.</p><h2>5. Can I make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later?</h2><p>Yes, you can make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later. Once the biscuits have cooled, store them in an airtight container or bag. When you're ready to reheat them, place them on a baking sheet and warm them in a 350 degree F oven for 5-10 minutes. You can also wrap the biscuits in foil and reheat them on a grill or stovetop for a few minutes.</p>

1. What are the key ingredients needed for a traditional southern biscuit?

The key ingredients for a traditional southern biscuit include all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and buttermilk. Some recipes may also call for a small amount of sugar or shortening.

2. Can I use regular milk instead of buttermilk in my biscuit recipe?

While you can use regular milk in your biscuit recipe, the texture and flavor will not be the same as using buttermilk. Buttermilk helps create a tender and tangy biscuit, so it is recommended to use it if possible. If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before using in your recipe.

3. Should I use a stoneware barpan or a sheet pan to bake my biscuits?

Both stoneware barpans and sheet pans can be used to bake biscuits, but the results may differ slightly. Stoneware barpans tend to produce a crispier crust, while sheet pans may result in a softer and fluffier biscuit. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of texture you prefer in your biscuits.

4. How do I know when my biscuits are done baking?

The best way to tell if your biscuits are done baking is by checking the color and tapping the tops. Biscuits should have a golden brown color and a slightly firm top when done. You can also insert a toothpick or knife into the center of a biscuit to see if it comes out clean.

5. Can I make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later?

Yes, you can make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later. Once the biscuits have cooled, store them in an airtight container or bag. When you're ready to reheat them, place them on a baking sheet and warm them in a 350 degree F oven for 5-10 minutes. You can also wrap the biscuits in foil and reheat them on a grill or stovetop for a few minutes.

Back