• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Southern Biscuits 101: Learn the Best Recipe & Baking Pan

In summary, Janet shared a recipe for biscuits and gravy using a variety of pans, and Big-Haired shared a recipe from the south that uses Bisquick.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Hey y'all

It's just me, the sweet tea swillin' southern wanna-be...

Okay so I want to learn how to make biscuits. Up here in MN we buy our biscuits in a nice little tube with a white doughboy on it! Or we cheat and use bisquick, which I'm sure is a cardinal sin down in the south.

Sooo I was wondering if anyone from the south has a really good, simple homemade biscuit recipe that they would share with me... AND which pan should I bake them on? The stoneware barpan or the nice new sheet pan?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
we have a stainless barpan?

I'm not southern, but when it comes to biscuits, well, cast iron skillet...If in the oven, I go for the metal sheet pan. I also have used Paula Deen's recipe for Biscuits and Gravy...looks like she used the cast iron skillet too...http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/pauladeensbiscuitsandsawmillgravy.shtml

I have to write for the recipe we all love though. Each summer at camp we have OWLS (Older Wiser Loving Servants/Saints) come up. They are retirees in their 70s and 80s that live in Texas for the winter, then come up and work at camp all summer. Women cook and clean, men usually do repairs and build furniture. One lady (who has since died... :( ) used to make KILLER biscuits and gravy.

merego said:
we have a stainless barpan?
I went and changed it to sheet pan. To me it's stainless but I'll use the correct name for it! :)

janetupnorth said:
I'm not southern, but when it comes to biscuits, well, cast iron skillet...

If in the oven, I go for the metal sheet pan.

I also have used Paula Deen's recipe for Biscuits and Gravy...looks like she used the cast iron skillet too...

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/pauladeensbiscuitsandsawmillgravy.shtml
Thanks, Janet. I don't have a cast iron skillet... :( not yet anyway :)

Kitchen Diva said:
Thanks, Janet. I don't have a cast iron skillet... :( not yet anyway :)
My mom and dad bought Steve a HUGE one about 6-7 years ago. :)You can use any pan, but it is nice to have the cast iron. :) Makes it all the better...I've found that Farm & Fleet or Fleet Farm (depending on where you are in WI) is the cheapest place to get a good one. There may be one near you...http://www.fleetfarm.com/locations_and_hours/

I use whatever baking mix I have on hand and make one big biscuit in my square baker. I'm too lazy to cut them out.

Otherwise I would check recipes.com I always have luck there.

janetupnorth said:
My mom and dad bought Steve a HUGE one about 6-7 years ago. :)

You can use any pan, but it is nice to have the cast iron. :) Makes it all the better...

I've found that Farm & Fleet or Fleet Farm (depending on where you are in WI) is the cheapest place to get a good one. There may be one near you...

http://www.fleetfarm.com/locations_and_hours/
We have a fleetfarm about 25 minutes from here. And I don't have room for another pan or skillet, which is why I don't have a cast iron skillet yet. :) LOL

etteluap70PC said:
I use whatever baking mix I have on hand and make one big biscuit in my square baker. I'm too lazy to cut them out.

Otherwise I would check recipes.com I always have luck there.
Thanks, I'll do that! :)

I also just found a good recipe for making your own baking mix. You can use it for waffles, pancakes or biscuits. I will post later, I am working like crazy to get invites out. My 2 june hosts got me their lists late!!!

My good old southern cooks here love the stoneware for their biscuits. We use Self Rising Flour which I'm not sure you can get. I know my family in Michigan has trouble finding it. 2 cups flour, 1 stick of butter cut into flour, 3/4 cup of buttermilk mixed gently into flour/butter mix. cut with cup and bake at 375 until lightly browned.

Kitchen Diva said:
Hey y'all

It's just me, the sweet tea swillin' southern wanna-be...
Okay so I want to learn how to make biscuits. Up here in MN we buy our biscuits in a nice little tube with a white doughboy on it! Or we cheat and use bisquick, which I'm sure is a cardinal sin down in the south.

Sooo I was wondering if anyone from the south has a really good, simple homemade biscuit recipe that they would share with me... AND which pan should I bake them on? The stoneware barpan or the nice new sheet pan?

Thanks much!

you forgot big-haired!

I am from the south (Alabama) but I grew up with a Mom that is from the north....therefore, I too use Bisquick or the cute doughboy kind!

However, here is a recipe from a good friend of mine whose mom and granny make them this way:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2/3 cup of milk
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 stick margarine

Sift together dry ingredients; cut in margarine until mixture resedmbles coarse srumbs. Add milk all at once; stir only until dough follows fork around bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently. Roll out on floured surface and cut with biscuit cutter. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. I make mine on a stone....

Last edited:
Kitchen Diva said:
I went and changed it to sheet pan. To me it's stainless but I'll use the correct name for it! :)

Ha, thanks, you lost ,me for a sec :)

I am halfway to the boonies and I can get self rising flour here. I have never tried it for biscuits. I will have to try that one. I use SR flour for home made beer bread.

Meg... That sounds awesome!!! All my recipes call for crisco. I am interested in trying margarine.

My family is going to love me for trying out all these new biscuit recipes!

unfortunately, I don't eat alot of bread or anthing doughy. I love it as does my hip, thighs and booty, so I stay away from it. A neighbor of mine from Texas had a good recipe, I will try and find not, not 100% sure I know where it is though.

quiverfull7 said:
My good old southern cooks here love the stoneware for their biscuits. We use Self Rising Flour which I'm not sure you can get. I know my family in Michigan has trouble finding it. 2 cups flour, 1 stick of butter cut into flour, 3/4 cup of buttermilk mixed gently into flour/butter mix. cut with cup and bake at 375 until lightly browned.
I'll look to see if we have the self rising flour. If not I'll buy it online. :)

Thanks for the recipe, Diane. I can't wait to make these with some country gravy! :) Mmmmm

Kacey.... I used to but it at Cub all the time.

chefmeg said:
you forgot big-haired!

I am from the south (Alabama) but I grew up with a Mom that is from the north....therefore, I too use Bisquick or the cute doughboy kind!

However, here is a recipe from a good friend of mine whose mom and granny make them this way:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2/3 cup of milk
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 stick margarine

Sift together dry ingredients; cut in margarine until mixture resedmbles coarse srumbs. Add milk all at once; stir only until dough follows fork around bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently. Roll out on floured surface and cut with biscuit cutter. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. I make mine on a stone....
Can I substitute with butter? My butter is the jealous type and I can see it going all postal on me if I use margarine

Sorry- I DID forget big hair! What was I thinking? I should be ashamed of my hillbilly princess wanna-be self!:p

etteluap70PC said:
Kacey.... I used to but it at Cub all the time.
I thought I remembered seeing it there. :) Thanks Paulette, I'll look there the next time I go- which in my house is several times a week.

I am getting excited for my biscuits and gravy supper. Now I just have to prefect the chicken fried steak! I think I will go get a cast iron skillet for that one- but I have no idea where I will store it...

merego said:
unfortunately, I don't eat alot of bread or anthing doughy. I love it as does my hip, thighs and booty, so I stay away from it. A neighbor of mine from Texas had a good recipe, I will try and find not, not 100% sure I know where it is though.
That would be a fun recipe to have! :) I wish I had a southern grandma. I did, however she didn't like me (my dad was hit and killed by a train while snowmobiling 11 days before my 2nd birthday. Sadly I reminded Grandma too much of her son, and instead of loving the stuffing out of me, she was mad at me and jealous and even told me once that if it hadn't been for me, my father would not hav felt the need to get out of the house and ride his snowmobile and he'd be alive today) So- she was raised in Texas (born in Nebraska) and I KNOW she had a lot of good recipes, but never gave me one...And now she's with the Lord, so I can't get them even if I wanted to.

Kitchen Diva said:
That would be a fun recipe to have! :) I wish I had a southern grandma. I did, however she didn't like me (my dad was hit and killed by a train while snowmobiling 11 days before my 2nd birthday. Sadly I reminded Grandma too much of her son, and instead of loving the stuffing out of me, she was mad at me and jealous and even told me once that if it hadn't been for me, my father would not hav felt the need to get out of the house and ride his snowmobile and he'd be alive today) So- she was raised in Texas (born in Nebraska) and I KNOW she had a lot of good recipes, but never gave me one...And now she's with the Lord, so I can't get them even if I wanted to.

what a horrible thing to tell you, she doesn't sound like a nice lady. My grandmas are not nice either, I'm sad both grandpas passed before them. My mom always jokes, they are laughing in heaven b/c they got away and we are stuck with 2 bitter old ladies!! she also said they *****ed them to death.
I am so sorry that happened to your dad :( You have had quite the life girlfriend!! Our lives could be lifetime movies.
I am going through all my cookbooks, toodler DS just took every wipe out of the wipe container ( it was a brand new container) so I have to clean all those up now) and I will continue to look
:)

oops, I got bleeped *****

merego said:
oops, I got bleeped *****
too funny! Say, if you are packing for vacation, don't worry about recipes for me. You can wait until you get back- I'll have forgotten by then so it won't be a big deal! :)

0033.gif

Kacey, it seems like you're wise enough not to let the bitter words of a mean-spirited old woman scar you - but, please know you are well loved here, and we're glad to have you around!

Sarah

pampchefsarah said:
Kacey, it seems like you're wise enough not to let the bitter words of a mean-spirited old woman scar you - but, please know you are well loved here, and we're glad to have you around!

Sarah

Sarah, that's really sweet of you! :) And no, I blessed and released on that a long time ago. She said more than I shared, but she was a hurting woman who lost her son, and I was a bitter reminder of what she didn't have. I'm fine with that. I'm the black sheep of the family anyway!

black_sheep_eating_grass_sm_nwm.gif

Thanks for saying that you are glad I'm around. I've gotten the feeling that my personal posts and off topic posts have upset some of the regulars and they've stopped posting because of me. I would hate to know I caused that. I just don't have a lot of non-cyber friends, so I share a lot with you guys.

DH and I have a hard time finding couples to do things with because we are 9 years apart- so we are either hanging out with people my parent's age, or people in their 20's.

I have YET to read a post from you that I haven't enjoyed!!

At 43, I've found that age doesn't matter so much anymore when it comes to making friends - common interests do. If you're enjoying hanging out together with these people, that's all that matters.

Back to biscuits - I have yet to find a recipe from Good Eats that I haven't liked. I haven't tried the biscuit recipe from the show, but it is a genuine Southern biscuit recipe, and AB's memaw taught it on the show. They used a sheet pan for theirs.Southern Biscuits
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk, chilledPreheat oven to 450 degrees.In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

pampchefsarah said:
I have YET to read a post from you that I haven't enjoyed!!

At 43, I've found that age doesn't matter so much anymore when it comes to making friends - common interests do. If you're enjoying hanging out together with these people, that's all that matters.
Awwww...:blushing:

chefann said:
Back to biscuits - I have yet to find a recipe from Good Eats that I haven't liked. I haven't tried the biscuit recipe from the show, but it is a genuine Southern biscuit recipe, and AB's memaw taught it on the show. They used a sheet pan for theirs.

Southern Biscuits
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

I remember this episode- if it weren't for the mad cow, I'd have remembered that... :) Thanks Ann!!

quiverfull7 said:

Tell them to look on either the bottom shelf or the top shelf at the grocery store - it's only available in a small bag. But, I've never been in a grocery store that didn't have it. (and I hang out in grocery stores quite a bit - it's the only shopping I really like to do!)

Kitchen Diva said:

DH and I have a hard time finding couples to do things with because we are 9 years apart- so we are either hanging out with people my parent's age, or people in their 20's.

That's DH and me too. And, throw in the fact that alot of the people DH's age have grandchildren the age of our child, and that just makes it even harder to find friends we can hang out with as couples.

We end up hanging out with DH's divorced/single buddies....and I cook for them all. It's okay - they are all very appreciative.

For instance - We are going camping next week, and 2 of his buddies are camping at the sites next to ours for part of the week. But they come over and share a campfire with us at night. It's fun, and Micah likes all of his "Uncles". One guy comes by himself sometimes - he's married, but his wife only likes to shop on vacation. She came one time on a camping trip, and wanted to go into town shopping all the time - I did spend one day shopping with her - but missed all the fun stuff the guys were doing!:( I guess I'd rather hang out with the guys!:eek:

Kitchen Diva said:
Sarah, that's really sweet of you! :) And no, I blessed and released on that a long time ago. She said more than I shared, but she was a hurting woman who lost her son, and I was a bitter reminder of what she didn't have. I'm fine with that. I'm the black sheep of the family anyway!

black_sheep_eating_grass_sm_nwm.gif

Thanks for saying that you are glad I'm around. I've gotten the feeling that my personal posts and off topic posts have upset some of the regulars and they've stopped posting because of me. I would hate to know I caused that. I just don't have a lot of non-cyber friends, so I share a lot with you guys.

Before I get back to the biscuts....
1) You never offended me ( I am hard to offend though) and I don't think anything you have said or done is offensive.
2) I would hope people would stop posting b/c of you or your posts.
3) I enjoy your posts and you make me laugh everyday!!!!!:D :D
4)How can I attach pictures and funny little things?
5) love the dough boy and the black sheep :)
My MIL is here and she said she has a good biscut recipe that I am hoping to get to you before I leave. I have soooo much to do~ yikes. I used to be so organized and now my life is hectic and full of chaos:yuck:

ChefBeckyD said:
That's DH and me too. And, throw in the fact that alot of the people DH's age have grandchildren the age of our child, and that just makes it even harder to find friends we can hang out with as couples.

We end up hanging out with DH's divorced/single buddies....and I cook for them all. It's okay - they are all very appreciative.

For instance - We are going camping next week, and 2 of his buddies are camping at the sites next to ours for part of the week. But they come over and share a campfire with us at night. It's fun, and Micah likes all of his "Uncles". One guy comes by himself sometimes - he's married, but his wife only likes to shop on vacation. She came one time on a camping trip, and wanted to go into town shopping all the time - I did spend one day shopping with her - but missed all the fun stuff the guys were doing!:( I guess I'd rather hang out with the guys!:eek:

I'd rather hang out with the guys, too. We've also found that if we hang out with people my husband's age I normally cannot stand the wife, or the husband is a jerk. And if we hang out with people closer to my age- they end up being so whiney and immature and they've normally got lots of little kids. We love kids, but don't have kids, and most couples with kids don't want to hang out with couples that do not have kids.

It's just been a bust. We used to have friends but with the military you all move so much that you eventually lose track of eachother.

And on occassion my husband has been known to scare people away because he's always talking politics. We like to follow them, and are rather conservative- but most people around here aren't, and if they are it soon becomes apparent that they are not as conservative as DH and so they stop hanging out with us. LOL We are total geeks!

guy_making_loser_sign_sm_nwm.gif

merego said:

Before I get back to the biscuts....
1) You never offended me ( I am hard to offend though) and I don't think anything you have said or done is offensive.
2) I would hope people would stop posting b/c of you or your posts. 3) I enjoy your posts and you make me laugh everyday!!!!!:D :D
4)How can I attach pictures and funny little things?
5) love the dough boy and the black sheep :)
My MIL is here and she said she has a good biscut recipe that I am hoping to get to you before I leave. I have soooo much to do~ yikes. I used to be so organized and now my life is hectic and full of chaos:yuck:

Is there a typo in there somewhere? :) Read KG's photo thread. log onto photobucket.com. load your pictures, then click on IMG code once your picture is in your "bucket" and then paste it to your message. But I'd try to read this thread first.

Thanks for the nice words, the upcoming biscuit recipe and for being a sweet person. Now go get ready for your trip!

Kitchen Diva said:
I'd rather hang out with the guys, too. We've also found that if we hang out with people my husband's age I normally cannot stand the wife, or the husband is a jerk. And if we hang out with people closer to my age- they end up being so whiney and immature and they've normally got lots of little kids. We love kids, but don't have kids, and most couples with kids don't want to hang out with couples that do not have kids.

It's just been a bust. We used to have friends but with the military you all move so much that you eventually lose track of eachother.

And on occassion my husband has been known to scare people away because he's always talking politics. We like to follow them, and are rather conservative- but most people around here aren't, and if they are it soon becomes apparent that they are not as conservative as DH and so they stop hanging out with us. LOL We are total geeks!

guy_making_loser_sign_sm_nwm.gif

Hmmmm, instead of NC, maybe you should move to Michigan, and hang out with us!

(Except I'm the one who's always talking politics.....or wait, maybe that should just be I'm the one who's always talking.....:eek: :eek: )

Kitchen Diva said:
Sounds like me, except I'm in that weird quintessentially British Christian position of being both vaguely conservative ethically but also staunchly socialist politically! :yuck:

ChefBeckyD said:
Hmmmm, instead of NC, maybe you should move to Michigan, and hang out with us!

(Except I'm the one who's always talking politics.....or wait, maybe that should just be I'm the one who's always talking.....:eek: :eek: )

LOL! :) Well, at least you're talking!

pamperedthorpe said:
Sounds like me, except I'm in that weird quintessentially British Christian position of being both vaguely conservative ethically but also staunchly socialist politically! :yuck:

Interesting! Can't say I'm with you on the socialism- but that's another thread for another day. :)

I'm off to print up these biscuit recipes and plan supper for tomorrow night.

Kitchen Diva said:
Is there a typo in there somewhere? :) Read KG's photo thread. log onto photobucket.com. load y
our pictures, then click on IMG code once your picture is in your "bucket" and then paste it to your message. But I'd try to read this thread first.

Thanks for the nice words, the upcoming biscuit recipe and for being a sweet person. Now go get ready for your trip!

HOLY GUACAMOLE, that is a TYPO..Oh gosh Kacey, I am SOOOO sorry. I meant to say I hope they would not... Oh gosh, I am so so so sorry!!!!!

Miracle rolls: Laura Ingells Wilder

Oh wait, I don't think you'd like this, has lard and yeast, not easy to make, let me move on. If you really want it, I will send it.

Angel Biscuts: ( for an angel like you)
1/2 c lukewarm water
1 cake yeast
3/4 c Crisco
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
3 TBSP sugar
5 c flour
2 c Buttermilk

Cut shortening into the flour and the other dry ingrediants. Add yeast mixed with water; add buttermilk and mix until smooth. Knead on floured board a few times. Store in airtight container until ready to use. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Makes 8 ( no waiting to bake)Mixing Bowl

Grandmas buttermilk biscuts
Pastry Blender/Cutter (if you don't have one, in a pinch a large-tong fork or two knives will work)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
5 tbsp. chilled solid vegetable shortening (chilling the shortening is key to easy dough handling)
Ready, Set, Mix it Up!
Step1Preheat oven to 425 F. In a large mixing bowl, add together all dry ingredients. This includes flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using the pastry blender, mix the dry ingredients.
Step2Cut the shortening into the dry mixture by using the pastry blender. Continue cutting the shortening until small, coarse crumbs form.
Step3Add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough forms. Here's a tip: if there is still flour mixture in the bottom of the bowl or the dough seems a little stiff--add a little bit more buttermilk until all the flour has mixed with the buttermilk and you have a nice soft dough (but not too sticky).
Step4Take some flour and sprinkle onto a cutting board or cutting surface. Take the dough, place on the floured surface, and gather into a disc. Knead the dough lightly a few times until smooth. Don't over-knead.
Step5Pat out the dough to 3/4-inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter (or glass) dipped in flour, cut out biscuits. Place the biscuits, 2 inches apart, on an ungreased baking sheet. Gather dough trimmings. Again, pat them into pieces that are 3/4-inch thick. Cut out more biscuits.
Step6Bake

Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons lard or shortening
1 cup sour milk
Preparation:
Mix dry ingredients together; cut in lard or shortening. Slowly blend in milk, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Roll out on floured cloth or surface to about 1/2-inch thick. (Do not roll too thin.) Cut with biscuit cutter or glass tumbler. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350° 10 minutes or until golden brown.

enjoy :)

Kitchen Diva said:

Steve and I don't go out a lot either. We just hang with each other and the kids.

If you guys make it over to the marriage retreat in the fall, we'll hang with you! I'll find a sitter for the kids. :) ...or you can just hang with the kids too. ;)

DH and I have a hard time finding couples to do things with because we are 9 years apart- so we are either hanging out with people my parent's age, or people in their 20's.[/QUOTE]

Kacey, come hang with DH and I, we are super cool to hang with~ ha ha
We get along with everyone of all ages. DH can get along with anyone and everyone loves him. We can go into a room knowing no one and leave with 10 new friends. DH has a good friend who is 56 ( DH is 38), the "Mojo" man, he is a hoot and we hang with him alot. I have a friend who is 23, she helps me feel young :)

merego said:
Miracle rolls: Laura Ingells Wilder

Oh wait, I don't think you'd like this, has lard and yeast, not easy to make, let me move on. If you really want it, I will send it.

Angel Biscuts: ( for an angel like you)
1/2 c lukewarm water
1 cake yeast
3/4 c Crisco
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
3 TBSP sugar
5 c flour
2 c Buttermilk

Cut shortening into the flour and the other dry ingrediants. Add yeast mixed with water; add buttermilk and mix until smooth. Knead on floured board a few times. Store in airtight container until ready to use. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Makes 8 ( no waiting to bake)Mixing Bowl

Grandmas buttermilk biscuts
Pastry Blender/Cutter (if you don't have one, in a pinch a large-tong fork or two knives will work)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
5 tbsp. chilled solid vegetable shortening (chilling the shortening is key to easy dough handling)
Ready, Set, Mix it Up!
Step1Preheat oven to 425 F. In a large mixing bowl, add together all dry ingredients. This includes flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using the pastry blender, mix the dry ingredients.
Step2Cut the shortening into the dry mixture by using the pastry blender. Continue cutting the shortening until small, coarse crumbs form.
Step3Add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough forms. Here's a tip: if there is still flour mixture in the bottom of the bowl or the dough seems a little stiff--add a little bit more buttermilk until all the flour has mixed with the buttermilk and you have a nice soft dough (but not too sticky).
Step4Take some flour and sprinkle onto a cutting board or cutting surface. Take the dough, place on the floured surface, and gather into a disc. Knead the dough lightly a few times until smooth. Don't over-knead.
Step5Pat out the dough to 3/4-inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter (or glass) dipped in flour, cut out biscuits. Place the biscuits, 2 inches apart, on an ungreased baking sheet. Gather dough trimmings. Again, pat them into pieces that are 3/4-inch thick. Cut out more biscuits.
Step6Bake

Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons lard or shortening
1 cup sour milk
Preparation:
Mix dry ingredients together; cut in lard or shortening. Slowly blend in milk, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Roll out on floured cloth or surface to about 1/2-inch thick. (Do not roll too thin.) Cut with biscuit cutter or glass tumbler. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350° 10 minutes or until golden brown.

enjoy :)

Um, who the heck doesn't like lard?!?!! Not sure where I'd find it, but c'mon woman, send me the recipe with lard. :) AFTER you finish PACKING

I don't like Lard, not even sure what it is, doen't sound tempting though.
Back to packing, I swear!!

and I still feel AWFUL about my typo, I am soooo soooo sooo sorry again!!! I should really type, re-read, then send. I would never say anything bad to anyone, but most of all you Kacey :) Now I am going back to packing, but DH wants to do something else~ugh, not in the mood!!!

If your recipe calls for self-rising flour and you only have all-purpose, here's how you can adapt.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 1 minute
Here's How:
Using a dry measure, measure the desired amount of flour into a separate container.
For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Mix to combine.
Tips:
You can use self-rising flour in yeast bread recipes, but you'll need to omit the salt.
If you use self-rising flour as a substitute for all-purpose flour in a quick bread, omit salt and baking powder.

I use a mayo based recipe that is Soooooo good! Hold on...lemme go get it!

Mayonnaise Biscuits
Submitted by: GEORGIEBRENT
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 149 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 Minutes Ready In: 22 Minutes
Yields: 12 servings

"These versatile mayonnaise drop biscuits are a Southern tradition."
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons mayonnaise

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, milk, and mayonnaise until just blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/14/2008

If you want to roll them out and cut them instead of drop biscuits, only use enough milk to pull it together and knead a few times, then roll out and cut!

BTW- I never have self rising flour on hand, so I always "make" mine!

<h2>1. What are the key ingredients needed for a traditional southern biscuit?</h2><p>The key ingredients for a traditional southern biscuit include all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and buttermilk. Some recipes may also call for a small amount of sugar or shortening.</p><h2>2. Can I use regular milk instead of buttermilk in my biscuit recipe?</h2><p>While you can use regular milk in your biscuit recipe, the texture and flavor will not be the same as using buttermilk. Buttermilk helps create a tender and tangy biscuit, so it is recommended to use it if possible. If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before using in your recipe.</p><h2>3. Should I use a stoneware barpan or a sheet pan to bake my biscuits?</h2><p>Both stoneware barpans and sheet pans can be used to bake biscuits, but the results may differ slightly. Stoneware barpans tend to produce a crispier crust, while sheet pans may result in a softer and fluffier biscuit. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of texture you prefer in your biscuits.</p><h2>4. How do I know when my biscuits are done baking?</h2><p>The best way to tell if your biscuits are done baking is by checking the color and tapping the tops. Biscuits should have a golden brown color and a slightly firm top when done. You can also insert a toothpick or knife into the center of a biscuit to see if it comes out clean.</p><h2>5. Can I make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later?</h2><p>Yes, you can make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later. Once the biscuits have cooled, store them in an airtight container or bag. When you're ready to reheat them, place them on a baking sheet and warm them in a 350 degree F oven for 5-10 minutes. You can also wrap the biscuits in foil and reheat them on a grill or stovetop for a few minutes.</p>

1. What are the key ingredients needed for a traditional southern biscuit?

The key ingredients for a traditional southern biscuit include all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and buttermilk. Some recipes may also call for a small amount of sugar or shortening.

2. Can I use regular milk instead of buttermilk in my biscuit recipe?

While you can use regular milk in your biscuit recipe, the texture and flavor will not be the same as using buttermilk. Buttermilk helps create a tender and tangy biscuit, so it is recommended to use it if possible. If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before using in your recipe.

3. Should I use a stoneware barpan or a sheet pan to bake my biscuits?

Both stoneware barpans and sheet pans can be used to bake biscuits, but the results may differ slightly. Stoneware barpans tend to produce a crispier crust, while sheet pans may result in a softer and fluffier biscuit. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of texture you prefer in your biscuits.

4. How do I know when my biscuits are done baking?

The best way to tell if your biscuits are done baking is by checking the color and tapping the tops. Biscuits should have a golden brown color and a slightly firm top when done. You can also insert a toothpick or knife into the center of a biscuit to see if it comes out clean.

5. Can I make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later?

Yes, you can make biscuits ahead of time and reheat them later. Once the biscuits have cooled, store them in an airtight container or bag. When you're ready to reheat them, place them on a baking sheet and warm them in a 350 degree F oven for 5-10 minutes. You can also wrap the biscuits in foil and reheat them on a grill or stovetop for a few minutes.

Back