• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are the best fats to use when cooking eggs?

or maybe people just don't like it. I love spinach for breakfast, but I like my eggs sunny side up. No matter WHAT I try my eggs are a disaster - sunny side up for DS and over easy for the rest of us. Tips anyone?I would never use SS for eggs either. Way to much butter/oil needs to be used - and you'd only want to use bacon grease if you buy organic bacon with no nitrites or nitrates, or msg added, otherwise, you're ingesting all kinds of chemicals that are really bad for your body.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Non stick or stainless? What size? What temp? With butter/oil or without? No matter WHAT I try my eggs are a disaster - sunny side up for DS and over easy for the rest of us. Tips anyone?

10 inch SS

Here you go:
Make sure that your pan is clean, no residue left in it from anything before.
Get your eggs ready in a bowl.
Heat up the pan on medium heat.
When it's (the edge) hot to the touch put some fat, about 2 tbsp in it. ( I use saved up bacon fat, it has a higher burning temp, and it is better for you. If you do not like it then try mixing butter and EVOO. - If your butter browns too fast then the pan was too hot. )
Melt and make sure that it covers the entire bottom and about 1/2 inch up on the sides too.
When it's covered gently pour your prepped eggs in it.
DO NOT TOUCH NOW.
Put salt and pepper on it.
Listen for the sizzling sounds. Oh sooo yummy.
Get a right size lid and cover.
Reduce the heat to med to med low.
Keep your eyes on it not to over cook. (i still screw it up sometimes;) )
You can pour about 1/4 cup of water underneath to steam up the top.
Now you can use the metal spatula to gently lift up the bottom all over and slide it onto another plate for serving.
Now you can make scrumled eggs too. It goes much faster, but same on the fat and heat and lid part.

It takes some practice but you can do it too. :chef:

Thank you BOTH, I have been waiting with baited breath for this reply! Can't wait to try it, tho my SS pan is not PC, and awful big.
:love:
Marghi

I would never use SS for eggs! I much prefer non stick. I like fried (hard) eggs. I just take the 8" executive skillet put it over medium heat. Right before it's ready I drop the egg in, give it a little stir to break up the yoke and let it sit. When the bottom is cooked I flip it and cook the other side. It then slides right out (preferably onto buttered toast - yum!).

:( I don't have the SS maybe that's my problem. Thanks for all your help Zsuzsanna

wadesgirl said:
I would never use SS for eggs! I much prefer non stick. I like fried (hard) eggs. I just take the 8" executive skillet put it over medium heat. Right before it's ready I drop the egg in, give it a little stir to break up the yoke and let it sit. When the bottom is cooked I flip it and cook the other side. It then slides right out (preferably onto buttered toast - yum!).

So no oil or butter?

I wouldn't use SS for eggs either. Way to much butter/oil needs to be used - and you'd only want to use bacon grease if you buy organic bacon with no nitrites or nitrates, or msg added, otherwise, you're ingesting all kinds of chemicals that are really bad for your body.

I use my 10 inch saute pan, over med-low heat, with just a touch of butter/olive oil blend for flavor and to inhibit sticking. Med-low heat is necessary to keep the egg from getting too done on the bottom while waiting for it to cook through. Once the butter is melted, crack the egg into the pan, and let it sit until the bottom is firm enough to get a spatula under it. I've found that it helps to break the white that is closest to the yolk too. That can take longer to cook, so break it and let it spread more. Once it's firm on the bottom, flip quickly, and cook for about 30 seconds, and then slide out onto the plate.

If you want them sunny-side up - once it's firm on the bottom, put a lid over the pan that will fit fairly snugly and let it cook for another minute to 2 minutes.

gotta tell you my current favorite breakfast--and it's very waist-friendly, too. I use a NS pan, heat about 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth. Once it's hot, throw in a bag of spinach. Cover it with a glass top so you can see when it starts to wilt. Add your egg(s) depending on family size and desires (I eat one egg and all that spinach) Cover it again, the steam will cook the egg, and you can see when it's ready. Take the microplane and grate a little fresh nutmeg over it, salt/pepper/hotsauce as desired. Spinach for breakfast? Maybe you can't sell it to your kids, but I bet you'll love it....Marghi

BlueMoon said:
gotta tell you my current favorite breakfast--and it's very waist-friendly, too. I use a NS pan, heat about 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth. Once it's hot, throw in a bag of spinach. Cover it with a glass top so you can see when it starts to wilt. Add your egg(s) depending on family size and desires (I eat one egg and all that spinach) Cover it again, the steam will cook the egg, and you can see when it's ready. Take the microplane and grate a little fresh nutmeg over it, salt/pepper/hotsauce as desired.

Spinach for breakfast? Maybe you can't sell it to your kids, but I bet you'll love it....

Marghi

This sounds awesome, Marghi! I'm going to have to try it! (PS - I LOVE spinach!!) :balloon:

Non-stick saute pan, 2 at a time, with a spritz of canola. Had a hard time flipping them until I got the smaller flipper.

Don't use my cast iron so much anymore ...

kcjodih said:
:( I don't have the SS maybe that's my problem. Thanks for all your help Zsuzsanna

So no oil or butter?

In our non stick pans you only need oil and butter to flavor! I've never had a problem with it sticking (that's actually my selling point at our shows!).

BlueMoon said:
gotta tell you my current favorite breakfast--and it's very waist-friendly, too. I use a NS pan, heat about 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth. Once it's hot, throw in a bag of spinach. Cover it with a glass top so you can see when it starts to wilt. Add your egg(s) depending on family size and desires (I eat one egg and all that spinach) Cover it again, the steam will cook the egg, and you can see when it's ready. Take the microplane and grate a little fresh nutmeg over it, salt/pepper/hotsauce as desired.

Spinach for breakfast? Maybe you can't sell it to your kids, but I bet you'll love it....

Marghi

My 6 yr old loves spinach! His favorite pizza topping and omelet filling is spinach!

ChefBeckyD said:
My 6 yr old loves spinach! His favorite pizza topping and omelet filling is spinach!

ME too! give him a hug next chance you get!
Marghi

nonstick all the way!!! I always crack mine into a prep bowl, it keeps the yolk from breaking. I love my yolk runny. Med heat, spritz of canola or olive oil. For sunny side up, add a couple of tablespoons of water once the bottom is almost cooked, then cover to gently cook the upper part of the white. I agree that the smaller spatula works better for the 8 inch skillet. Make sure to get under the yolk though, to support it as you turn, or the stress of stretching the membrane can make it break.

Oh and a collapsible strainer - I feel like such a cheater when I use my non-PC one!

I bought the Diet Solution program of books because she has some really interesting things about what we are eating as a society. She recommends the only "fat's" you should use to cook with are the good ones: Coconut oil, raw organic butter or Organic EVOO. I've been using the EVOO with my eggs (cage free) and it works well, but she uses the coconut oil. I plan on buying some as soon as I find it, want to check Safeway first, if it's not there I'll hit the Health food store in town. This morning I had a handfull of spinach leaves (sauteed in EVOO first), added 2 eggs beaten, and made an omelet, with some sea salt (the best salt for you to use) and served it over 2 slices of tomato, it was pretty YUMMY! She recommends a specific brand of sea salt, it has to be un-refined and unprocessed, so I checked the label on our Himalayian Sea salt, it seems to be good for you! I was happy about that because I love our salt, it's so much better, I won't ever go back to table salt again!

My son loves sunny-side up too. I use the small saute pan (prof or exec) and a little swirl of olive oil. Then I crack in 2 eggs and take a fork and break the white that is over the yolk... pulling it over/off the yolk and letting it spread onto the surface of the pan. I poke a couple holes in the whites to let the uncooked parts run underneath to cook faster. sometimes I poke too far and pierce the yolk but since my son likes to break it anyway, I just saved him a step!

Careyann said:
I bought the Diet Solution program of books because she has some really interesting things about what we are eating as a society. She recommends the only "fat's" you should use to cook with are the good ones: Coconut oil, raw organic butter or Organic EVOO. I've been using the EVOO with my eggs (cage free) and it works well, but she uses the coconut oil. I plan on buying some as soon as I find it, want to check Safeway first, if it's not there I'll hit the Health food store in town. This morning I had a handfull of spinach leaves (sauteed in EVOO first), added 2 eggs beaten, and made an omelet, with some sea salt (the best salt for you to use) and served it over 2 slices of tomato, it was pretty YUMMY! She recommends a specific brand of sea salt, it has to be un-refined and unprocessed, so I checked the label on our Himalayian Sea salt, it seems to be good for you! I was happy about that because I love our salt, it's so much better, I won't ever go back to table salt again!

I've tried using the coconut oil. I do use it for some things, but I don't like for everything to have a coconutty taste, and eggs are one of those things I'd rather didn't. Some people say that they can't taste it, but I can. I only use olive oil, and organic butter, and I also use some Ghee.

1. What pan is best for cooking scrambled eggs?

The best pan for cooking scrambled eggs is a non-stick skillet. This allows the eggs to easily slide around and prevents them from sticking to the pan.

2. Can I use a cast iron skillet for frying eggs?

Yes, you can use a cast iron skillet for frying eggs. However, make sure to season the skillet properly and use enough oil to prevent the eggs from sticking.

3. Is a stainless steel pan suitable for making omelettes?

Yes, a stainless steel pan is suitable for making omelettes. Just make sure to use enough butter or oil to prevent the eggs from sticking.

4. Can I use a ceramic pan for cooking sunny-side up eggs?

Yes, a ceramic pan is great for cooking sunny-side up eggs. The smooth surface allows for easy flipping and the non-stick coating prevents the eggs from sticking.

5. Which pan is best for making an egg frittata?

The best pan for making an egg frittata is a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. This will give the frittata a crispy crust and even cooking throughout.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJWarren
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
Replies