• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

In summary, a second plane struck the south tower of the World Trade Center in New York City at 8:03 a.m. Central Time on September 11, 2001, causing the tower to collapse. Many people were killed in the attack, including two of Peter's cousins who were working in one of the towers. The Federal Building, which was close to the World Trade Center, was closed and later reopened with increased security.
pampered1224
Silver Member
I remember getting dressed that morning and walking into the kitchen. It was 7:53 a.m. Central Time. I remember that as I looked at the clock on the microwave to see how I was running time wise as I needed to get to work by 9. The site that greeting me was channel 12, ABC and Good Morning America. There was no speaking from Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer as I was watching what I honestly thought was a movie trailer. I remember that part especially because there was no way it was real. It could not be. I was struck as the sounds as Charlie and Diane were now speaking about the tower getting hit. The speculation that it was an accident. I was dumbstruck as it sunk in that what I was watching was real. then it happened. At 8:03 Central, the second plane struck the south tower. I literally sat down on the kitchen floor. I could not move. It took me about 20 minutes to stop watching long enough to call my boss as I knew he and the assistant manager had been at work for several hours already and I did not know if they knew. They had not heard yet but I told him I would be late as I had a call to make. I called my mom. The reason, my cousin Peter worked in one of the complexes building, I knew it was not the towers but it was in the area. She knew I would call. she was calling my aunt as I called so... I hung up and asked her to keep me posted. Now, the building I worked in was literally one building north of the Federal Building in Downtown Milwaukee. I was not expecting to see what I saw. The parking structures were all connected via skywalks to the our building, the Federal Building, the building in between and the Grand Avenue Mall. I parked, walked to our building but I could see police officers blocking the entrance to the Federal Building. They had shut it down. After settling in to work, we were notified that we would not be able to access the Federal building at all. And they were very concerned as no one still knew how wide spread this was or what else might have been planned. We already knew that one more plane had gone down in PA. City and State governments were sending people home. Because of our proximity to the Federal Building, the bank downstairs was shut down, we were also sent home by 11 a.m. No one wanted to take any chances. We did not return to work until a few days later. Later that afternoon I call from my mom. My aunt finally returned her call. There was no news from Peter at all. However, two of her nephews had been in one of the towers on the 92nd floor. They worked for the huge financial company that was up there. They both were at work. Neither survived the collapse. I remember being numb after the first hit that morning. I still suffer from a mild case of that Post traumatic Stress syndrome or whatever. I can not, not watch anything they are playing about it, I can not watch the lists of soldiers that have died because of it, I can not listen to anything about it or even read anything about it, without an uncontrollable feeling of deep sorrow and crying. I can't help it. It was like I absorbed a ton of hurt and pain from those that were killed and can not seem to release it. This became even more a a problem for me as we finally got a chance to talk to our cousin Peter. He saw things no one should ever have to see. He was close up to watching people jumping. He saw some in flames as they fell out as the buildings collapsed. He got help dealing with it but he too said he had an awful time returning the site. He watched as bodies were dug out, or rescuers were helped out after being there too long. He still has nightmares. I still pray everyday that we will never go through that again.
Just a side note, the Federal Building was opened again a week later with full out check points. You were searched going in. Those check points are there to this day. we used that corridor as did many to get from our buildings and the hotel a block over to get to the Grand Avenue mall.

Last edited:
I was sitting in my living room with my granddaughter Kylie who was 2. She was playing and Good Morning America was on. My daddy was over to help me clean house....I had been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and there are many things I can not do. We lived in Hershey, PA. Kylie's mom, my daughter Katie was pregnant with her 2nd child and was there helping out as well. As I glanced up at the TV I saw the 1st tower in flames and sat there dumbfounded as I watched in horror the 2nd plane hit. My husband is a nuclear engineer and was at work at Three Mile Island. I was consumed with worry but I knew that he would get a message to me somehow if there was a problem at the plant. Later that afternoon Katie went into labor and I sat up at the hospital all night watching over my daughter and wondering what kind of world my newest granddaughter was being born into. Karlie was born on September 12, 2001.

John, I too suffer from PTSD from a different reason, so I understand well your reactions. You and your family are in my prayers.

It is so disheartening to think that anyone under the age of 20, as they were only 10 at the time and it is rare that anyone that young remembers much, will never know of the world as a peaceful place. In these kid's eyes, in their world, we have basically been at war with someone for all their lives. I can not imagine what our world will be like in their eyes. Will they constantly be looking over their shoulders? Will they know anything of a "peace time" world? Will they forget the term "Let's roll" and why it is so important? Thank you for your prayers. I only my what I think were termed second cousins once removed once. They attended my cousin Sarah's wedding in October 1999. Tim and Scott were both in attendance. Today, their names appear on a list. It is funny too that as a civilian, I can not fathom what anyone who was right there or has been defending our country has to put up with in terms of PTSD as mine simply overwhelms me at times to a point of debilitation. I know i will not be in a good place tomorrow. I have not been for 10 years. So I pray for you and your family as well Carla.

I had taken an early morning math class at Central Texas College and had just left and was on my way to work at the mall when I heard the news on the radio. My first reaction was to try to find a television to see the news - Target was open and I, along with about 15 other people, were there watching. I stayed as long as I could before heading to work. I was only as work for about an hour before they closed the mall entirely and sent everyone home. I left for home, all of about five miles from work, and sat in traffic for more than four hours. I lived on post at Fort Hood, Texas, at the time. The entire post, which had always been open, was completely shut down. They were searching every car and questioning anyone trying to get in without a military issued ID card. When I finally managed to get to the gate I was greeted by a soldier in full battle gear complete with machine gun. My car was searched - underneath, glove box, under seats, under hood. That morning was the last day I have ever driven off a post without going through a guarded gate. I have never driven back through a military gate without having my ID card checked and my car randomly searched. It will never change. My husband deployed to Kuwait less than two months later with less than 48 hours notice. He was gone for six months in preparation for the army entering Iraq. We have seen countless friends deploy over the past ten years and my husband just returned from a year in Iraq in March. It's still going on. It still affects us all, military or not.

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸ ...¸.¤\
\ 9/11 AMERICA \
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤ .¸¸.¸.¤*
..\
☻/
/▌
/ \ NEVER FORGET!!! Thank you to our heroes - firemen, policemen, soldiers and all who protect us!I was at work. My boss called and said he would be late as a plane hit the WTC and he thought it was possibly a terrible accident but worried it might be something more. He called back minutes later and told us what was happening. We scrambled to find a radio station or Internet news. All we could get was a station from England. We all went home early and were watching TV by the time the buildings collapsed. My high school son was home "sick" that day and we watched together. My husband was in CA on business and was delayed returning by several days. It was very scary having him across the country during that time and thinking that he had flown there the day before. When he did get to fly home he said that everyone was watching out for everyone else. My experience is nothing compared to what those who lost loved ones that day or since because of this. I can not express how much I appreciate the men and women who leave their families for months at a time to defend us. I also appreciate and thank the families for sharing their soldier with us. Those sacrifices are soooo appreciated. We are all still greatly affected by that day. I can't help but wonder if the terrorists aren't enjoying our pain though. I wonder if it isn't just what they want.

Last edited:
The Kat Lady and I were taking a short vacation, and we were in Iowa with Sonja, our 1929 Model A Ford. We stayed in a nice hotel in Cedar Rapids, and since we were on vacation, we didn't turn on the television or radio, we just didn't care to hear any news at all that day.

We were packing our luggage into Sonja's rumble seat when a guy from Milwaukee, driving a 1958 Buick Electra drove up. That was no surprise, old car guys always find one another and compare notes. We were admiring each other's car when he said, "Say, did you hear about the plane crash in New York this morning?" Well, no, we replied, we hadn't heard anything.

At that point, the second plane had not hit the tower and everyone thought Wrong Way Corrigan had taken off from LaGuardia, made a left when he should have made a right and flew into the building.

And with that, we left for Tama, Iowa, in blissful ignorance of the day's events. Sonja doesn't have a radio, and it was a gorgeous day. We put her convertible top down and drove the original Lincoln Highway to Tama, just enjoying the beautiful weather. (In Tama, we shot several pictures of Sonja on the Mud Creek Bridge, which you can find in my photo albums by clicking on the link.)

It wasn't until we got to the Amana Colonies that we knew something was amiss. There was a line of cars over a quarter mile long, waiting to get into a gas station. I remarked to The Kat Lady, "What do these people know that we don't?"

We were more than shocked - and the plans for the rest of our trip suddenly changed. We went back to the same hotel in Cedar Rapids to spend one more night, and the next day, we headed for home.

Like the Kennedy Assassination on November 22, 1963, this is one of those days that will live with me forever, and I will always remember where I was when I heard the news.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Like the Kennedy Assassination on November 22, 1963, this is one of those days that will live with me forever, and I will always remember where I was when I heard the news.

Ah, yes. I was in 7th grade history class that morning...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

BethCooks4U said:
Ah, yes. I was in 7th grade history class that morning...

We were just returning to class from noon recess when one kid, who went home for lunch, walked into the classroom and blurted out, "Kennedy got shot," like he was happy about it. (That kid was a couple of french fries short of a Happy Meal and no one particularly liked him, either.) A few minutes later, the principal came on the intercom and announced to the school that the president had been assassinated in Dallas.

The shock of learning about both events was pretty much the same to me.

BTW, I'm on my way to breakfast with my neighbor (we do this every Sunday morning) and I'm wearing an American flag shirt and my FDNY hat.

This was on facebook this morning.
PLEASE KEEP THIS TRUCK MOVING AND SHOW OUR SUPPORT!!!

─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ▄ ▌ ▐ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▌
─ ─ ─ ▄ ▄ █ █ ▌ █ ░ ♥ ░ 9/11 VICTIMS & THEIR FAMILIES ░░ ♥░ ░▐
▄ ▄ ▄ ▌ ▐ █ █ ▌ █ ░ ♥ ░ ░░ WE WILL NEVER FORGET ░░░ ░ ♥░ ░▐
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ ▌ █ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▌
▀ (@) ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ (@)(@) ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ (@) ▀ ▘

TO ALL WHO LOST LOVED ONES AND TO THE HEROS!!!

Up here in Northern Ontario, Canada, we had just finished breakfast and watching the local news on tv. The USA news feed interrupted our news with the first plane hitting the tower. The house went silent and my then 19 yr old daughter said 'that was not an accident, that was on purpose... sure enough the second plane hit the 2nd tower and then the third plane crashed in PA. My husband and son came in for coffee break and we sat and watched the news again and again... How could this be happening???
I had a show that evening and called my host... What to do??? Life must go on but with respect showen to those that died... it was to be her choice. We realized that everyone would be doing the same thing this evening and every evening for the next few days ... watching the tv... so lets continue with our plans and gather together for support.
I took only the tools for my recipe and arrived at her home and prepared the recipe before anyone arrive. Washed the dishes and placed them and the catalogues on the table with the order forms beside the recipe and plates.
The host had the tv on CNN with the closed caption on. We welcome everyone in and gathered in a circle. A guest said a prayer for those that had die, missing or hurt and their familes. We then held a minute of silent. I thanked everyone for coming and told them that the food was ready and IF they wanted to look at the catalogues and had any questions that I was availabe but to just sit back and visit.
The evening was the first time I had 'not done' an acutal demo and the guest enjoyed themselves while still watching the tv. (I now do this whenever I have repeat host/guests). Closed the show a few days later and had impressive sales total ... the host is now a consultant.
Feb 2001, my hubbie and I traveled to Bahamas and traveling was very relaxing at the airport..... Dec 2001, I earned the trip to Chicago for Heritage House and wasn't sure I would go because of the chance of a repeat of 9/11.... more secruity, more stress... I when but wasn't as open and friendly with those at the airport or on the plane... Enjoyed Chicago and have travelled by air an number of times since but still the a tad nervous.

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸ ...¸.¤\
\ 9/11 AMERICA \
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤ .¸¸.¸.¤*
..\
☻/
/▌
/ \ NEVER FORGET!!! Thank you to our heroes - firemen, policemen, soldiers and all who protect us!

I am watching the memorial at the Remembrance Site. (I think I will never use the term "Ground Zero" ever again.) It is very overwhelming as I mentioned it would be. I got up this morning and I placed our American Flag out for display. I noticed something in our neighborhood this morning as I was doing this. I was not the only one out there putting out our flag. There were three others out putting up flags. I felt that sense of loss, I felt a sense of pride. Then I noted the rest of the homes. Not one home out of the about 20 or so I can see, is missing an American flag today. Though the solidarity has ebbed through the years, that feeling of profound loss is instilled in all of us forever. I will probably never see a 9/11 again where as much emphasis is put on that solidarity, that sense of profound loss or the pride in those who are heroes, were loved ones, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters or children. I do not believe I will ever see a day when it is forgotten. And to me, that is as it should be. As screwed up as our US society and financial stability is, we are still a nation of good people. Honorable people. Forever etched in stone and in our minds. I hope too that I am alive to see the end to the war on terror and the memorial made for all our service men and women and their effected families. Our gratefulness to all of them can not be measured by the size of our hearts. It is too large to see, but large enough to be felt thousands of miles away by our enemy. May that love and pride of country and each other destroy them.

Last edited:
I was in Washington DC!!! Scary, sad, horrific. If the plane had not been taken down in PA, I would have been killed as I was just finishing touring the White House right at that time. Sad, scary, horrific beyond belief.

We were living in Staten Island NY in 2001, and after dropping my son off at school (2nd grade), I was making scrambled eggs for my 4 yr. old daughter,Erica, and thinking " what a beautiful day...maybe I will take Erica on the back of my bike for a ride on the boardwalk"....I switched on my kitchen TV to see Today Show or Good Morning America...they were reporting a plane had hit the North Tower,...then as I was watching the screen I screamed "NO!" as I watched the 2nd one hit the South Tower.........
I was shaking so hard knowing that we knew quite a few people who worked there......

My husband called me from Brooklyn, saying there was black smoke in the sky and asking"what happened?"...I told him, he was as stunned as I......

I quickly fed my daughter, and went to the school to pick up my son....took me 2+ hrs. as the school was in lockdown.....

Long, painful next hours as we waited to hear from people who were there.....we lost friends (my cousins best friend since kindergarten), neighbors (the fireman who lived behind us), school parents, etc........

For more than a week we could see the smoke across the skyline....my husband was sent to ground Zero...he works for Verizon, and was heavily involved in getting Wall Street running again...he stayed there for 1 yr., working many long days...in fact his 1st day off was Christmas Day 2001. To this day, he has had a few strange health problems (which his Drs. and us feel are directly related to ground zero), but he feels that is nothing compared to what the many rescue workers, and employees of the Towers sacrificed...

Just the other day I asked my children what they remember...my son, now a HS senior, remembers waiting for me, and the blue sky :(, and also waiting for his best friends father to return (he did:thumbup:)...my daughter, now a HS freshman, remembers my son walking out of school, and the green leaves in the trees:angel:

In an odd twist of fate, my husbands cousin (also my son's godmother and our flower girl), had just started her first "real" job a month prior....in the building next to the North Tower...she went in to work at 8:30am, placed her briefcase on her desk and didnt spot the manila envelope placed there by her boss with a note asking her to please deliver the envelope to the Windows On the World Restaurant asap for a 9:30 meeting...shortly after the first plane struck.....by God's beautiful grace she made it out of her office, walked towards home over the bridge......
her building did partially collapse later that day........today she is a beautiful,thriving woman who appreciates every day!!!

Never, ever will we forget..........

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
BTW, I'm on my way to breakfast with my neighbor (we do this every Sunday morning) and I'm wearing an American flag shirt and my FDNY hat.

I had him shoot me as long as we were there.

the_kitchen_guy-albums-my-private-photos-picture1799-me-9-11-10th.jpg

I was at home as was by then live-in boyfriend. I was puttering and starting my day but hadn't yet turned on the TV. He ran a business out of the home and decided to make a phone call to someone on the east coast. All of a sudden, he calls from the office, "Hey hon, turn on the TV." I asked, "What channel?" "I don't think it'll matter." I watched in disbelief as they replayed the footage from the first plane. My disbelief turned to horror and shock when we watched the second plane. I came close to panic when they announced that the Pentagon was struck, at which time I called into work to check in. I was scheduled to work at 1:30PM.

I kept waiting for a phone call to grab my gear and report for duty. I was in the National Guard at the time and wasn't sure what was next. I took my cell phone to work and kept it in the pharmacy with me for a month. Normally, that was a big no-no, but my co-workers understood the reason. That fateful phone call didn't come for over a year.

I knew something was fishy when my unit called me at home one morning needing to know my uniform sizes. As an officer, I was required to buy my uniforms and they wouldn't normally need that information. A few weeks later, I got the call at work officially putting me on alert. My unit was activated a month later. It was as busy month. With the news of probable deployment, my boyfriend decided it was time to get married, which we did three weeks later even though we know I probably wouldn't deploy with my unit, we were over strength which means we had more people in the unit than what the Army thought we needed.

Four months later, I was deployed with a different unit and spend almost a year in Iraq. (May 2003- March 2004) It was interesting for me, a huge eye-opener and one of the best experiences of my life. Three years after returning, I had the opportunity to go back. I opted instead to stay home and retire. I wanted to go back, but my life had changed. My son was only a year old and I decided that as much as I loved playing Army, I needed to be there for my son and husband.

On a side note, since I knew everryone was glued to their TV sets at home (on 9/11), I ran to the grocery store knowing it would be like shopping during a Packer game. It would be empty, I could get what I needed and get home quickly. I bought chicken that day which I only know because I froze it and labeled the date it was purchased on the bags. Every time we thawed a bag and cooked it, we dined on "Terrorist Bird."

lt1jane said:
I was at home as was by then live-in boyfriend. I was puttering and starting my day but hadn't yet turned on the TV. He ran a business out of the home and decided to make a phone call to someone on the east coast. All of a sudden, he calls from the office, "Hey hon, turn on the TV." I asked, "What channel?" "I don't think it'll matter." I watched in disbelief as they replayed the footage from the first plane. My disbelief turned to horror and shock when we watched the second plane. I came close to panic when they announced that the Pentagon was struck, at which time I called into work to check in. I was scheduled to work at 1:30PM.

I kept waiting for a phone call to grab my gear and report for duty. I was in the National Guard at the time and wasn't sure what was next. I took my cell phone to work and kept it in the pharmacy with me for a month. Normally, that was a big no-no, but my co-workers understood the reason. That fateful phone call didn't come for over a year.

I knew something was fishy when my unit called me at home one morning needing to know my uniform sizes. As an officer, I was required to buy my uniforms and they wouldn't normally need that information. A few weeks later, I got the call at work officially putting me on alert. My unit was activated a month later. It was as busy month. With the news of probable deployment, my boyfriend decided it was time to get married, which we did three weeks later even though we know I probably wouldn't deploy with my unit, we were over strength which means we had more people in the unit than what the Army thought we needed.

Four months later, I was deployed with a different unit and spend almost a year in Iraq. (May 2003- March 2004) It was interesting for me, a huge eye-opener and one of the best experiences of my life. Three years after returning, I had the opportunity to go back. I opted instead to stay home and retire. I wanted to go back, but my life had changed. My son was only a year old and I decided that as much as I loved playing Army, I needed to be there for my son and husband.

On a side note, since I knew everryone was glued to their TV sets at home (on 9/11), I ran to the grocery store knowing it would be like shopping during a Packer game. It would be empty, I could get what I needed and get home quickly. I bought chicken that day which I only know because I froze it and labeled the date it was purchased on the bags. Every time we thawed a bag and cooked it, we dined on "Terrorist Bird."
WOW! While I appreciate your service to our country I am shocked and appalled by the "playing army" comment and especially by your "side note". Seriously? "like shopping during a Packer game". Wow. Maybe I'm taking this all too seriously but to say it that way today of all days just blows my mind.

I too want to thank all of those that serve, and have served our country. We are a nation reliving that awful day today, my heart is so saddened today...

BethCooks4U said:
WOW! While I appreciate your service to our country I am shocked and appalled by the "playing army" comment and especially by your "side note". Seriously? "like shopping during a Packer game". Wow. Maybe I'm taking this all too seriously but to say it that way today of all days just blows my mind.

Sorry to offend. There were no insults in my post.

Here in Wisconsin the Green Bay Packers are almost a religion. If you do any activity other than watching the game during gametime, the stores are VERY empty, unless the game is going badly and business will pick up.

As for "playing Army," I was my entire 20 YEAR CAREER a reservist. It was not my full-time job except for when I was deployed. It was a PART-TIME JOB. Many reservists because we have not completely given up our life to the whims of the government proudly refer to ourselves as "Weekend Warriors" and refer to our drills as "playing Army." It is in no way, shape, or form an insult. It simply refers to the fact that we are not active duty. We enjoy it and we take it seriously, but it is a diversion for us. We are willing to serve our country when needed, but we still have a life of our own.

While the events of the day were horrific and will not be forgotten, you must still continue to move forward and find a way to get back to a sense of "normal." Going shopping on that day was exactly that, a normal activity that needed to be done. I was able to take a 90 minute activity and reduce it to 45 minutes. In our 24/7 news cycle, I didn't miss a thing because those crashes were shown at least twice an hour on TV for the next week. I needed a break from it, especially knowing that my neck was on the line and I could get THE phone call at any time. I expected that phone call to come that day or sometime in the next week. I was well aware of how my life was forever changed.

Last edited:
lt1jane said:
Sorry to offend. There were no insults in my post.

Here in Wisconsin the Green Bay Packers are almost a religion. If you do any activity other than watching the game during gametime, the stores are VERY empty, unless the game is going badly and business will pick up.

As for "playing Army," I was my entire 20 YEAR CAREER a reservist. It was not my full-time job except for when I was deployed. It was a PART-TIME JOB. Many reservists because we have not completely given up our life to the whims of the government. proudly refer to ourselves as "Weekend Warriors" and refer to our drills as "playing Army." It is in no way, shape, or form an insult. It simply refers to the fact that we are not active duty.
We enjoy it and we take it seriously, but it is a diversion for us.
I do understand that. I am a nurse and we can be very irreverent when talking among ourselves but would never say the same things among others. I just felt the comments were out of place here.

As far as WI and the Packers: I lived in WI my whole life until about 15 years ago and I still have close family there. I tell people that it is on our birth certificates that we are Packer fans (you'd be surprised how many people believe that). I know very well about empty streets during games. I tried to sell a house the year they won the Super Bowl with Favre. I get the comparison. I just felt that the way it was worded here you sounded like you were taking advantage of others shock (quick run to the store while they're glued to the tv) and made too light of it all.

Again, I appreciate your service to our country and I in no way undermine it. I just think you could have been less flippant with the way you said it on this anniversary day.

I was in the Air Force at the time. Stationed in Las Vegas. I had stayed at a friend's house the night before. When I tried to get back on base I could not. I didn't have a uniform with me either. I ended up parking at the Walmart right off base and going in to work in what I was wearing. Tshirt..shorts..and sandals. Luckily I only worked in the hospital dining hall. The hospital is actually across the street from the base in Vegas so it was easy to walk to the hospital. I ended up borrowing scrubs from one of the departments.

chefheidi2003 said:
I was in the Air Force at the time. Stationed in Las Vegas. I had stayed at a friend's house the night before. When I tried to get back on base I could not. I didn't have a uniform with me either. I ended up parking at the Walmart right off base and going in to work in what I was wearing. Tshirt..shorts..and sandals. Luckily I only worked in the hospital dining hall. The hospital is actually across the street from the base in Vegas so it was easy to walk to the hospital. I ended up borrowing scrubs from one of the departments.

Didn't you have ID with you? Wow! You would think they could have looked you up or called your commanding officer or something.

I was home. I remember my husband called from work and said to turn on the TV - a plane crashed in NY. That's it. I did, and then I called my dad in Ohio to tell him also. We watched live as the 2nd plane hit, and then a while later as the towers came crumbling down. I remember where I was standing in my living room, etc.My DH, he was actually on the phone with one of the tech guys at the Port Authority- in one of the WTC buildings hit. They were troubleshooting network problems they were having. He said all of a sudden, the phone line went dead, and then they watched on the screen as all of the computer network servers/nodes at the Port Authority started becoming "unreachable". That's when they found out what happened. He commented today at how sickening it was.The last few days, we've watched a few of the specials, including one last night about the calls from the people within the towers. The hardest one to hear was the guy who was on the phone with 911 operator I think, as the first tower collapsed. He was talking and then the phone was silent. Driving to church this morning, I was thinking about how much was changed that day, everywhere.

I was at the Pentagon on 9/11. The Pentagon had been under renovation for a couple of years and I had just moved into my new renovated office the week before. The plane entered the building just 1 1/2 corridors away. They said that because of the way the renovated space was constructed that the plane did not keep going into our section and there was no structural damage. we were relocated for about 3 weeks and then moved back in. I just watched the special "104 Minutes" and it still seems unreal. I did not personally know anyone that died but I had seen some of the victims in passng.

I was in grad school at the time, living with my boyfriend at the time. He's a news hound and was immediately aware of the situation (as soon as it was on the news, he saw it). We watched it together.. wondering if it was an accident.. until the second plane hit.
Then the pentagon. I spent the day in a fog.. mostly hanging out in the commons watching the news with everyone else. I spent the afternoon at a vendor fair. I brought my flag tablecloth, had red, white, and blue balloons, and observed a moment of silence.

Layla, did you read the morning update today? I'd love to know your perspective on the report. It must gall you to hear the tinfoil beanie crowd claim that there was no airplane that hit the Pentagon.

I was at work on the 36th floor of my office building overlooking Boston Harbor & Logan airport. My mom (in VA) called to tell me about the 1st plane. Hung up. Then called back. I was the one to begin the spread of news within my company. TVs were immediately turned on so that we could keep updated. I don't remember the time, but downtown Boston was shut down. I couldn't get cell service to call my fiance to tell him I was on my way to his office in Cambridge. I hesitantly got on the subway & got to his office. The management would not close the office early.... so there I sat.

As we got close to home, sitting at a stoplight in our small suburban town, I vividly remember a man running holding a large American flag in one hand. What a beautiful sight that was that day!

I was sitting in my livingroom getting ready for work. I was 6 months pregnant at the time with #1. The today show was just getting ready to come on and our news anchor said that the today show would cover what was happening and I sat and watched as plane #2 flew into the towers. I didnt even want to go to work but the radio was on the whole day.

PamperedChefLayla said:
I was at the Pentagon on 9/11. The Pentagon had been under renovation for a couple of years and I had just moved into my new renovated office the week before. The plane entered the building just 1 1/2 corridors away. They said that because of the way the renovated space was constructed that the plane did not keep going into our section and there was no structural damage. we were relocated for about 3 weeks and then moved back in. I just watched the special "104 Minutes" and it still seems unreal. I did not personally know anyone that died but I had seen some of the victims in passng.

That must have been really scary. Glad you are ok

We watched the documentary on the 9/11 Memorial site, and the work they've done. It looks fantastic, but the THOUGHT they put into each thing. They even arranged the names specifically....people who had special connections to each other (close friends, relatives, etc)- their names were arranged next to each other on memorial. The tree in the center was the one surviving tree they found under the building. It was nursed back to health.They even positioned the new surrounding high-rise buildings that have been constructed and the new subway station so that when the Sunlight comes through between the buildings on 9/11 every year, at the moment the first plane struck and I believe the moment the first tower went down - sunlight will bathe the memorial pools and one of those moments, the sunlight will fill the subway station - making it look very bright and "ethereal" (at least they are hoping). I don't remember the exact times, but it was amazing that they planned it to that level.

And isn't One World Trade Center a beautiful building?

It is. In more than just the sculptural sense. It is being built or was built mostly by ex-military who could not find jobs. Layla, thank goodness you were not hurt. I do NOT want to even imagine how you felt.

Last edited:
I was pregnant also- with my second. She was due the following month. That day changed our lives as well. DH is in the Nat'l Guard. His unit was put on alert, the armory was baracaded. It was all surreal. He was later deployed to Iraq for 14 months. Now separation is a way of life for our family, he doesn't just "play" army.

this was the status of one of the solders who I served with on FB today:

Out of the past 36 hours I spent 12 of them driving, 8 of them sleeping and 16 of them playing Army.

She is still an active reservist who is preparing for her second deployment. It's not just me, it is a common term among reservists. Yes, activations and separation are a way of life, but there is more time home between deployments for reservists. Reservists at the time I retired four years ago were guaranteed a minimum of 3 years between deployments. That's a heck of a lot better than the time between deployments for Active Duty soldiers.

BTW, since I am a hobby to part-time consultant I could easily say that I play Pampered Chef too. Why? Because it is an enjoyable part-time job for me, it is not my career and definitely not what pays the majority of my bills. I'm not putting down full-time consultants, I'm just not one of them. Playing PC also doesn't mean that I'm not serious about my business, it just means that my focus is not the same as it is for a full-time consultant.

I was at work when we got a phone call about the first tower being hit. As like many others, tv's were turned on and that's where we sat, in the breakroom the rest of the day. Phones were not ringing, people were not calling to order furniture.

It was later that evening that I found out someone that we knew (a friend of a friend) who was a flight attendent on AA75 was the second plane to hit the towers. She and her fiance both worked for the airlines and both were on the same flight.

Kellie's sister was watching the morning news from her apartment in Chicago on and saw the second plane hit. It was a few moments later that she realzied her sister Kellie was on that second plane that she just watched. She had just talked to Kellie the night before and Kellie told her she was in NYC and was flying to LA the next morning and would call when she landed in LA.

Our small community had the American flag lining all the streets in our village yesterday. The American Legion and local fire departments joined forces and had a small parade and ceremony to raise the flags (one at the fire hall, one at the cemetary) on each end of town. Yesterday was reassurance to me that I am greatful to live in a small community and am able to be a part of rememberances such as these.

God Bless America!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam