• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Handle a Chaotic Direct Sales Party?

In summary, the conversation discusses a chaotic experience at a cooking show where children were present and caused disruptions. The speaker suggests that in the future, hosts should make arrangements for a sitter so that the show can continue without distractions. The speaker also shares their own experience with disruptive guests and how they handle it. They also mention the importance of not telling hosts to leave their children out of the show or to get a sitter, as it may come across as rude.
Lifeat50
Do you want to know? They were at my show last night. My host had about 12 guests! They probably brought 10 kids. She had a nice setup for the demo in her kitchen/DR combo. The unfortunate thing was that the kids ran up and down the hall screaming at the top of their lungs and had WWIII in the Livingroom which was on the otherside of the wall with an dooropening leading from the LR to where the demo was going on. I was talking as loud as I could but it was total chaos in the other room. If I had been a guest, I would have come up with a stomachache and told the host I needed to leave.

What would you have done? This was my first show like this and I want to work to make it my last with this much confusion.

Last edited:
BIG (((hugs)))!!! I'm sure that had to be EXTREMELY frustrating!I've found it's easier to just tell the host when I do the host coaching that children and cooking tools are NOT a good mix and that I'm extremely nervous when there are little hands around hot stones, knives, the food chopper, etc. I tell them that in order to make this truly an "evening/afternoon out" for the mom's that they should make arrangements for a sitter so that they can do the interactive show without the disruption of the children. "... Without disruption, they can pay more attention, participate more and usually end up buying more which means more host benefits for YOU (the host)!!!""" It works about 95% of the time. ;)

I will include kids in my host coaching from now on. I hadn't had this experience and I really thought people had the good sense not to have Wild Things at their show. When the chaos began, I really thought the host would go calm things down. NOPE!

One trick that seems to work for me - whether it is disruptive kids or adults - is my volume does not change. If fact, the louder everyone gets the quieter I get. So, someone will quiet whoever is making the noise down because they will want to hear.

I'm so sorry you had a rough experience! Chin up, my friend. We all get one here and there that is a doosey, but for the most part they are good shows!

I would never tell my hosts to leave the kids out of it or to tell them to tell their guests to get a sitter. If I were a host and the consultant told me I needed to get rid of my children for the show, I'd tell her to forget it. Now mind you, I usually do get rid of my children for shows that I host, but I don't want someone to tell me that I have to. Ditto for being a guest... I'm not going to pay a sitter to go and spend money at a show so someone else can get free stuff! That's just me. When I am doing a show with lots of kids around and total wildness going on, I just try to go with the flow. And I try to smile and laugh with them because, hey, I've been there when my kids are being out of control and I can't get them settled down, I don't want some snooty PC Chef to be looking down her nose at me like I'm the world's worst mom, I want someone to look at me and smile and give me the "We've all been there look" and that's what I try to give my hosts and guests. We are not their bosses and yes we want to have a good experience at their shows, but we don't get to tell them how to run it. And I have been to a PC show (before I became a consultant) where it got a little out of control and the consultant actually kind of yelled at us all asking us to settle down and pay attention, let me just say, that is the last time she did a show for my family or anyone in that room. There were NO bookings... and when I decided to sign 6 months later, I found a different consultant further away to sign under... Just my 2 cents, didn't mean to rant! Sorry, I'll slowly back away from the computer now....

I would never tell my hosts to leave the kids out of it or to tell them to tell their guests to get a sitter. If I were a host and the consultant told me I needed to get rid of my children for the show, I'd tell her to forget it. Now mind you, I usually do get rid of my children for shows that I host, but I don't want someone to tell me that I have to. Ditto for being a guest... I'm not going to pay a sitter to go and spend money at a show so someone else can get free stuff! That's just me.

I'm with Paula on this one. I've got 3 dds who I know can get loud. Generally I do NOT bring them to shows, unless host has indicated others will be there with their children and she's got someone arranged to keep them busy. As I WON'T be one of those mom's who walks in the door and forgets I'm a mom. Have that ALLOT at my shows.

That said, I just try and go with the flow. I also have tried it both ways, of getting louder and getting quieter, and the getting quieter actually works better, you'll find others, not just the mom's shushing the loud ones.

HTH,

Lisa

Thanks for all the input!

I forgot to tell you all that after (thankfully) I finished my demo and everyone was looking at catalogs, I found a Mary Kay lady giving samples to one of the guests and then discussing Mary Kay with her. I think that is tacky. Personally I wouldn't do that if I were at one of her shows. Then a little later another guest brings out catalogs for another DS company. I think it may have been that 21 company. Not sure. What do you all do when that comes up or do you just smile (which I did, I also did that with the "Wild Things")?

I am venting to you all because I can. I do want you all to know that I didn't look down my nose at them or indicate in anyway that I was FREAKING OUT inside. I just kept going and going! I will honestly say I was glad to get in my car and leave though!!

Personally...I never go anywhere my kids aren't welcome. when my kids were small I didn't live near family and I had no choice but to take them everywhere i went. They weren't always well mannered, but a little discipline usually fixed that. Now they can stay home alone. During these types of parties I just smile and do the best I can. Everyone there knows that they are not in the best situation and they will also do the best they can.

However, I think it is very rude to discuss other DS businesses at any show. I would never bring out my catalogs at another type of show. I won't wear a PC shirt nor will I carry my catalog tote. If someone mentions PC I will answer their question politely, if it needs detail I will say "lets discuss it later after the show". I think that is very rude...and those consultants who do that won't have a very good business because nobody will respect them.

Maybe I phrased it wrong, I don't actually tell the hosts that no children are allowed, I tell them that children and cooking tools are not a good mix and that IF they can find alternate arrangements for the children that the adults will be able to concentrate more and participate more ... which means higher show sales. Then I leave it up to the host to decide what she wants to allow. About 90% of my shows either have the kids gone or an older child in charge of them & keeping them entertained in another room. So far, that technique has worked REALLY well for me.

When I have kids at a show, I try to include them as much as possible. The moms, then, don't have to worry about disciplining the kids, they get to see just how easy it is to use the tools, how they can get their kids intersted in helping in the kitchen, and, overall, everyone has a more relaxed and fun evening.

Oh, and I do keep hot stones and knives away from little hands. The parents have to be involved in the demo, too.

I have had the "kid issue" a number of times, and what I do is I give the kids crayons and paper and tell them whoever draws the best picture wins a prize--something cheap for kids I got from like Five Below. It almost always works.

I certainly understand bringing kids to a show, but at some point the Moms have to be a little considerate of those who a) were looking forward to a night out without kids and/or b) wanted to shop. I LOVE children, but I have to admit, that atmosphere would grow old for me quickly, especially if it was my night out and I don't allow my child to behave like that. I feel I can safely say (based on posts over the years) that the parents on this forum are sensitive to the feelings of others, but we know that's not always the case with some of our guests. And, some people are just oblivious, completely unaware. Hey, I zone out, too!

PLUS, I have to say that I don't understand why people think its a good idea to let their children run around like little animals when there are hazards like hot food, coffee, knives. I also have seen this in restaurants. I watched a waitress burn herself with coffee trying to avoid misbehaved kids. And the parent just glared at her.

Anne, last night I saw the hosts 2 year old on a step stool trying to get a hot pan off the stove, she was between me and the child with her back turned. I jumped to run and grab him, but she inadvertently blocked my path when she turned to stroll into the kitchen. She let him burn his hand & then disciplined him for touching the pan. ??? He's 26 months old!!! (It was something she was cooking, not part of the demo.)

I have the PC child's apron and chef's hat that I got several years ago for my son. I took it with me because I knew 1 child would be there. I let him wear that and assist me. I let him do easy, safe tasks for me. When the food was ready, I let him serve the guests. When he wasn't helping, he was sitting there quietly waiting for his next instructions. He was excited to help. Obviously you can't do that with a ton of kids, but if it's just a few, they can help a little.

I like to inlcude kids in my shows if they are present. I usually grab a few carrots and use the julienne peeler and they eat away. It impresses the moms knowing their kids will eat carraots julienne style...lol and it it surprising how many kids will eat apple because they were cut with the apple wedger. I ask them to hold stuff for me, show how easy it is to have the collapsible bowl collaps, slice cheese and use the creative cutters..I'm never short of tools as I bring most of them with me so I just get creative in order to impress the kids AND the mom$.

PCGirl77 said:
I have the PC child's apron and chef's hat that I got several years ago for my son. I took it with me because I knew 1 child would be there. I let him wear that and assist me. I let him do easy, safe tasks for me. When the food was ready, I let him serve the guests. When he wasn't helping, he was sitting there quietly waiting for his next instructions. He was excited to help. Obviously you can't do that with a ton of kids, but if it's just a few, they can help a little.

I've done this before - get them involved by having them hand out catalogs, drawing slips, passing out (safe) tools for guests to see, etc. THey feel special and they don't act up as much. I've never had 10 kids running around at a show, though -that's crazy!!

cathyskitchen said:
I've done this before - get them involved by having them hand out catalogs, drawing slips, passing out (safe) tools for guests to see, etc. THey feel special and they don't act up as much. I've never had 10 kids running around at a show, though -that's crazy!!

This is what I did at a show recently that was in a small apartment. It was kinda fun though because the kids wanted to know what every tool was and did and they enjoyed flipping through the cookbooks declaring which ones looked yummy LOL They sort of did the selling for me :D

Sheila said:
Anne, last night I saw the hosts 2 year old on a step stool trying to get a hot pan off the stove, she was between me and the child with her back turned. I jumped to run and grab him, but she inadvertently blocked my path when she turned to stroll into the kitchen. She let him burn his hand & then disciplined him for touching the pan. ??? He's 26 months old!!! (It was something she was cooking, not part of the demo.)

I don't know why someone would let their child get burned. Enough accidents happen on their own without allowing them. Then, again maybe its been an ongoing issue with him? But why would you leave the stool near the stove?

AJPratt said:
I don't know why someone would let their child get burned. Enough accidents happen on their own without allowing them. Then, again maybe its been an ongoing issue with him? But why would you leave the stool near the stove?

I would think that she didn't "let" him get burned on purpose... it sounds to me like it happened while her back was turned. Which yes, she should've been paying closer attention, but we all have times when we're distracted... And I also think that it's human nature to discipline in that situation, tell them that they shouldn't touch a hot pan, I'm sure that she felt horrible that it happened, and comforted him after she disciplined and was probably a little embarrassed. Maybe if she'd been told that he was about to grab the pan?

ChefPaulaB said:
I would think that she didn't "let" him get burned on purpose... it sounds to me like it happened while her back was turned. Which yes, she should've been paying closer attention, but we all have times when we're distracted... And I also think that it's human nature to discipline in that situation, tell them that they shouldn't touch a hot pan, I'm sure that she felt horrible that it happened, and comforted him after she disciplined and was probably a little embarrassed. Maybe if she'd been told that he was about to grab the pan?

I would hope she didn't let him get burned. She could have the attitude of "Well, he won't learn until he gets hurt." and sometimes that's true. I dunno. I was just going by what the posted had said.

AJPratt said:
I would hope she didn't let him get burned. She could have the attitude of "Well, he won't learn until he gets hurt." and sometimes that's true. I dunno. I was just going by what the posted had said.

I know, it's hard to know what really happened, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was snapping at you... typing is really hard to get your tone of voice through... haha! Anyway, let's just hope this person didn't let it happen on purpose and that it was an accident, otherwise I'd have to be really upset, I don't even like to watch the news because I get so upset and sick to my stomach when I hear about horrible things happening.

ChefPaulaB said:
I would think that she didn't "let" him get burned on purpose...

In my opinion, she DID! I was trying to rush to him, she turned & saw him & then ever so slowly started walking to the kitchen. There was no rush in her step AT ALL!!! She wasn't even using a serious "NO", she was just telling him that he shouldn't touch it. When he did, she chastised him for touching it. :rolleyes: She never even looked at his finger to see how bad the burn was. I'm guessing it wasn't too bad, because he only cried for about 10 seconds. But still! Why walk so slowly the 10 steps to get to him? If she hadn't have been between us I could have made it before he actually touched it! But when she turned to look, she was blocking my path & I couldn't get around her. There was a couch on one side, the table on the other & then the door frame into the kitchen. She has one of those long narrow kitchens where you pretty much have to squeeze past another adult. There's not enough room for 2 adults to walk side by side. I have a 7 month old & a 23 month old. They both know Mom's serious voice and will stop dead in their tracks when they hear it because I use it so rarely. I have no doubt that my daughter would have stopped. But the host wasn't using a "serious" voice so her son wasn't listening. :(

Well, you were the one there, so I guess you would know, but I know that some people that don't know my children or me would maybe not know my serious voice or my kids' serious cry. You may think that she under reacted, but maybe he really didn't hurt himself much and she could tell by his cry (10 seconds) and maybe that was her serious voice. Some kids panic when someone comes running at them and yells, and that might've inadvertently make him grab the pan or worst jump and drop the whole thing on him. I don't know, I just know that when my kids are about to do something like that I don't scream and make a big scene, I try to get to them and use a quiet stern voice... But again, you were there not me, I just try not to judge other parents because after having 3 kids (21, 7 and 4) and having them all be different and react differently to things, I know there are times when I have made mistakes and times when people have misjudged my reactions or decisions and they were wrong... Just sayin'.....

I think if there were a lot of kids around, I would ask the guests if they were distracted. "Guys, maybe I'm talking too much for such an energetic crowd. Do you want me to continue or should we just cut it short today?" If they are half listening to me and half watching their kid then it doesn't really matter what I say. She'll miss half of it anyway. I might also offer to close the door, ask if we could turn down the Wii or move to another location. Sounds like the kids weren't interested in the show so I would just try to get through it with dignity and leave.....

1. What is "Where the Wild Things Were?"

"Where the Wild Things Were" is a popular cookbook written by Pampered Chef featuring wild game recipes and tips for cooking with game meat.

2. What types of recipes are included in "Where the Wild Things Were?"

This cookbook includes a variety of recipes for different types of game meat such as venison, wild boar, elk, and more. There are also recipes for side dishes and desserts that pair well with game meat.

3. Are the recipes in "Where the Wild Things Were?" difficult to make?

No, the recipes in this cookbook are designed to be easy and accessible for home cooks of all levels. Each recipe includes step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to ensure a successful dish.

4. Can I use regular meat instead of game meat in these recipes?

While the recipes in "Where the Wild Things Were?" are specifically tailored for game meat, you can certainly use regular meat as a substitute if preferred. However, we highly recommend trying the recipes with game meat for a unique and delicious flavor.

5. Is "Where the Wild Things Were?" available in e-book format?

Yes, "Where the Wild Things Were?" is available in both print and e-book formats for your convenience. You can purchase the e-book version on our website or through various online retailers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JennyJennJen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • raebates
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Roadtripray