• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where Pampered Chef Products Are Made?

In summary, the conversation revolved around concerns about Pampered Chef products being made in China and whether or not this would affect sales. Some participants argued that the quality and safety of the products were not compromised, while others expressed disappointment in the company's decision to outsource production. Ultimately, the group acknowledged the reality of global manufacturing and the necessity of working with overseas companies to meet product demands.
emiscookin
Ok, I had TWO people at my show tonight ask me where Pampered Chef products are made! They were totally freaking out about it!! They said if they were made in China...well, let's just say a not so good look would come on their face. I was SO mad about them asking about that cause, I mean C'MON! Even my HOST expressed her concern about the products being made in China (and how DANGEROUS they are!) when I met with her to discuss her upcoming show! She's been hosting for PC for 20 YEARS and now she's decided to freak out about it!? I almost wanted to say, "In all those 20 years did you ever find the products you bought to be harmful to you!?"

Good gosh! :grumpy:

The only response I could come up with was something like, "The Pampered Chef would not get products from China that aren't safe!"

I really didn't know what to say!! :confused: Have any of you had people freak out about our products being made in China! What did you say?

No offense to any of you who aren't happy about our products being made in China as well. Sorry. :(

On a positive note, this was my second cooking show and my Host made $575in sales tonight! :D She also got two bookings! AND she is going to gather up some more outside orders within the next couple of days so hopefully altogether, we will be looking at a $700 or maybe $800 show? I'm happy!!! :chef:

FYI I do believe all of our stones are still made in the USA

ughubug said:
FYI I do believe all of our stones are still made in the USA

That's good to know! ;)
I'll remember that for next time.

But my concern is...will we lose sales over this???

From Doris Christopher's latest book... Many of our products are made overseas because when she wanted to develop kitchen tools for PC US businessmen would not talk to her or would not meet her standards. The Business people from China Etc. took her seriously and met her product specifications.

pcbook.jpg

etteluap70PC said:
From Doris Christopher's latest book... Many of our products are made overseas because when she wanted to develop kitchen tools for PC US businessmen would not talk to her or would not meet her standards. The Business people from China Etc. took her seriously and met her product specifications.

pcbook.jpg

That's good to know!
But why do I see a response like this causing more of an issue? Example:

"Oh really? What was it about her specifications that was SO bad that the US businessman would not accept it?"

You know how people can be!

Actually, just looking through the PIG and clicking randomly it appears that all of our Simple Additions are made in China, a good portion of the Bamboo products, all the stainless cookware, the lids to the executive cookware, the silicone bakeware, the sheet pans and the color coated knives are all made in China.

I had no idea so many of our products were produced there, but I have never had an issue with the quality of our products and none of my customers have ever really brought the issue up. It does appear that all the stoneware is made in the USA.

They need to be realistic. If we didn't buy anything made in China, many of us would be eating naked on the floor, eating with our fingers off of paper plates. Yes, testing is done, to be sure our products meet high expectations and are safe.

Let me add this, my husband has been working directly with oversea's companies in having them make some products for him. They are easier to work with, they want our business and they are not obligated to one company. In the US you have so many factories that make one thing and if it doesn't fit into their scheme of things' they don't want it. Don't get me wrong I am all for products Made In The USA, but let's be honest, you can't find them anymore. So by working with the oversea's companies you do get to be hand's-on and they get you what you want, not what they think you need.

I really get tired of people who nit-pick about where stuff is made. I wonder if they get this uptight over where their clothing is made? How about their cars? Most of our food is produced overseas as well. What about the gas they put in their car.....do they complain about that stuff??? The US is an importer, we make very little, we buy a lot....from everywhere.

pamperedlinda said:
I really get tired of people who nit-pick about where stuff is made. I wonder if they get this uptight over where their clothing is made? How about their cars? Most of our food is produced overseas as well. What about the gas they put in their car.....do they complain about that stuff??? The US is an importer, we make very little, we buy a lot....from everywhere.

I tend to be to um, "bold". I would go right down that path with the response of "I bet you drove a Toyota or a Honda here tonight, so what is the problem"? :grumpy:

pamperedlinda said:
Me too, Linda.

I guess none of them have a computer...or any other electronic device. They must not have a toaster, or a coffeemaker, or any other small appliances, either. :rolleyes:

All of this discussion is great. What I would add to it is the when PC started, how many business men would actually speak with a woman about their ideas? Also does anyone remember when the sheet pans first came out, they originally didn't meet PC standards and they replaced all of the sheet pans that were bought at PC expense. All because the sheets discolored. I still use my discolored sheet pans and they work just fine. This is a great story to tell if there are any concerns from customers about where things are manufactured.

3girls said:
All of this discussion is great. What I would add to it is the when PC started, how many business men would actually speak with a woman about their ideas? Also does anyone remember when the sheet pans first came out, they originally didn't meet PC standards and they replaced all of the sheet pans that were bought at PC expense. All because the sheets discolored. I still use my discolored sheet pans and they work just fine. This is a great story to tell if there are any concerns from customers about where things are manufactured.

As Paulette said in her post, that is exactly what happened to Doris Christopher when she was starting PC. She TRIED to get things manufactured in the US, but couldn't get anyone to help her.

I HIGHLY recommend her book "The Pampered Chef" - it's a great story of how she started this business.

ChefBeckyD said:
As Paulette said in her post, that is exactly what happened to Doris Christopher when she was starting PC. She TRIED to get things manufactured in the US, but couldn't get anyone to help her.

I HIGHLY recommend her book "The Pampered Chef" - it's a great story of how she started this business.

I love that book! It is so motivating!! And, it is no longer in print :( I loaned my only copy to a former consultant and never got it back from her. I just bought 2 copies of it on ebay. We really should contact HO and have them get more copies of this book or get it updated and back in print - personally, I think it should be a part of the kit!

pamperedlinda said:
I love that book! It is so motivating!! And, it is no longer in print :( I loaned my only copy to a former consultant and never got it back from her. I just bought 2 copies of it on ebay. We really should contact HO and have them get more copies of this book or get it updated and back in print - personally, I think it should be a part of the kit!

I got mine on Amazon.

I agree - it should at least be on Supply Order! The book by Jay is there.

I heard a continuation to the story about how Doris couldn't get the US to manufacture for a woman. That since she established such good working relationships with her overseas manufacturers that she has decided to remain loyal to them. That in the beginning she her self would travel to the actual manufacturing facilities to perform random spot checks throughout the year. And to this day PC does hold our products to the same in person checks. If something is found to be of a lesser quality I heard she demanded each product to be destroyed before her including any molds created to make the item. (this story was told to me and I am not positive if I am remembering all the exact details with 100% accuracy, I hope I am)I agree, the US is an importer and it would be impossible to exclusively own only US made. That said, isn't there some comfort in supporting a local entrepreneur- consultants? With a US company? I mean you call HO and you not only can still speak to a HUMAN but I believe a human in the US. And I don't believe we even have to "press 1" to speak in English!! Isn't this all GOOD??Stoneware is made in US, with American clay I believe.I'm sorry you had a "Debbie downer" at your show.

China is one of several manufacturing countries. The blades for our USG are made in Germany (so our HO staff told me in the product showcase room when it came out), while the plastic and silicone are made in China. All of the Food Chopper is made in Germany. Kwickut knives are made in USA as well as Egg Slicer Plus. When people get anxious about product sources, I remind them that the Chinese no longer flood their exports with poor knockoffs and lead-filled toys or ceramics. In fact, they are simply growing as an economic and social titan. I live and teach in a Pacific Rim economy, where trade with Pan Asian countries is not only sought, but appreciated and revered. (Did you know the very finest Washington cherries are sold at astounding premium prices to the Japanese?) I tell my customers:The Pampered Chef is smart enough to go to marketplaces around the world in search of the best and newest kitchen tools and spices for you and all their customers. Items come from across the globe, including Asia, Germany and the United States. All our spices and rubs are Certified Kosher – Pareve by Quality Kosher Supervision. The company guarantees all its products and our test kitchens thoroughly use and develop our new products in real kitchens. When I have toured, they have four kitchen suites ranging from gas to electric stoves, including induction and ceramic cooktop. They have ADA kitchen facilities and test all our products in varieties of microwaves, refrigerators, stoves and ovens. We have opened our company in Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and most recently, Mexico. Rest assured that Pampered Chef will continue to stand by its products, recipes and brand name for years to come! I am so confident in the company that I chose to join them, and would be so excited to have you do the same!

Last edited:
I have had a few customers concerned about this, one said she would only purchase products made in the US.

Let's be realistic, if you like the Bamboo products- more likely than not, they will not be made in the US. Where does a majority of the world's bamboo grow? Yes, that's right! Asia!!

She got over it enough to purchase a Bamboo bowl for her sister for XMas.

I understand customers trying to support US businesses and being weary of China/Japan mfg-ed products with recent issues re: lead paint etc. however I would simply reinforce to them that PC would not sell dangerous or low quality products, thus the warranties we provide so we can stand by our products.

I also think the history behind why Doris initially chose to go overseas is great as well.

At the end of the day some people will keep their opinion of US-made only, and that's their perogative. Too bad they'll be missing out on some of our greatest products. Nothing you can do about that.

One thing that I say to my "Made in the USA" customers, in addition to the facts already stated, that they are supporting a USA business by buying from TPC. TPC happens to have manufacturers from overseas, but it is still a home-grown, USA company!

lockhartkitchen said:
They need to be realistic. If we didn't buy anything made in China, many of us would be eating naked on the floor, eating with our fingers off of paper plates. Yes, testing is done, to be sure our products meet high expectations and are safe.

:eek:
Lol! ;) Most likely that would be true!

Shell Northway said:
Let me add this, my husband has been working directly with oversea's companies in having them make some products for him. They are easier to work with, they want our business and they are not obligated to one company. In the US you have so many factories that make one thing and if it doesn't fit into their scheme of things' they don't want it. Don't get me wrong I am all for products Made In The USA, but let's be honest, you can't find them anymore. So by working with the oversea's companies you do get to be hand's-on and they get you what you want, not what they think you need.

Ditto!! :thumbup: Thanks for sharing!

robochick84 said:
I tend to be to um, "bold". I would go right down that path with the response of "I bet you drove a Toyota or a Honda here tonight, so what is the problem"? :grumpy:

LOVE IT!!! :D

ChefCat said:
I agree, the US is an importer and it would be impossible to exclusively own only US made. That said, isn't there some comfort in supporting a local entrepreneur- consultants? With a US company? I mean you call HO and you not only can still speak to a HUMAN but I believe a human in the US. And I don't believe we even have to "press 1" to speak in English!! Isn't this all GOOD??

Stoneware is made in US, with American clay I believe.

I'm sorry you had a "Debbie downer" at your show.

YES! It IS good!!! Right on! :thumbup:
It's ok, there's always going to be a "Debbie Downer." I just wish it didn't happen so often. Both of my cooking shows I have done there have been "Debbie Downers!" :(
Perhaps God sorta made it that way to help me learn from all sorts of experiences. ;)

scottcooks said:
The Pampered Chef is smart enough to go to marketplaces around the world in search of the best and newest kitchen tools and spices for you and all their customers. Items come from across the globe, including Asia, Germany and the United States. All our spices and rubs are Certified Kosher – Pareve by Quality Kosher Supervision. The company guarantees all its products and our test kitchens thoroughly use and develop our new products in real kitchens. When I have toured, they have four kitchen suites ranging from gas to electric stoves, including induction and ceramic cooktop. They have ADA kitchen facilities and test all our products in varieties of microwaves, refrigerators, stoves and ovens. We have opened our company in Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and most recently, Mexico. Rest assured that Pampered Chef will continue to stand by its products, recipes and brand name for years to come! I am so confident in the company that I chose to join them, and would be so excited to have you do the same!
I really like this response, Scott. I haven't toured the test kitchens yet, but plan on taking the "virtual tour" at NC this year.I think I probably would have retorted with "Can you buy much of ANYTHING that isn't made outside of the USA anymore?" Seriously.....What does she eat? (especially produce these days...uggh) What does she wear? I liked the comment about what they drove to the show in....although Toyota and Honda do have alot of USA Manufacturing plants HERE, just owned by foreign companies. It's nearly impossible to avoid it. To me, that was just an excuse for not having to buy much. I can see not wanting to buy things like the Stoneware if made in China or other questionable countries....since I wouldn't want to find out years from now they used Lead or something that has been leaching into my food.I just bought Executive cookware with my KE last month, and was surprised to see the pans were made in Thailand, but the lids were made in China.Scott wrapped it up best....so I'm going to memorize that line, for the Debbie Downer in the crowd. :)

I have a customer/host who will not buy anything for herself that is made in China. At a show she gives me a list of what she wants. I go home and check in the product information guide to see where it's made and call her back with the results to finalize her order. That's how I learned that all of the stones are made in the US. She will buy things for others that are made in China. Her reason? She does not support the unfair labor practices and other social issues in China. It's not a concern about lead or safety. I find it odd that she will buy these products from China for others, but to each their own for picking and choosing what they believe and do. She's also a vegetarian who hasn't eaten anything with sugar in years. Let's just say I was very surprised when she decided to host last year.

Becca_in_MD said:
I have a customer/host who will not buy anything for herself that is made in China. At a show she gives me a list of what she wants. I go home and check in the product information guide to see where it's made and call her back with the results to finalize her order. That's how I learned that all of the stones are made in the US. She will buy things for others that are made in China. Her reason? She does not support the unfair labor practices and other social issues in China. It's not a concern about lead or safety. I find it odd that she will buy these products from China for others, but to each their own for picking and choosing what they believe and do. She's also a vegetarian who hasn't eaten anything with sugar in years. Let's just say I was very surprised when she decided to host last year.

I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense. :confused:

I agree, Becky, but I'm not about to get into a philosophical or religious debate with her. She buys and was a good host. I have more of a problem with her not eating sugar ;) Chocolate is my primary food group.

Our rubber spatula's are made in the USA as well....

sherylscooking said:
Our rubber spatula's are made in the USA as well....

Except that they aren't rubber. ;)

emiscookin said:
That's good to know!
But why do I see a response like this causing more of an issue? Example:

"Oh really? What was it about her specifications that was SO bad that the US businessman would not accept it?"

You know how people can be!

I have never had that reaction. Your shows are mostly women who have had men not take them seriously. In the early 80's men were not yet accustomed to powerful women in the business world in positions of authority. Check out the book at the library. Maybe if you read her words you will understand better.

Becca_in_MD said:

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense. :confused:

I agree!! But, you're in the right to respect her wishes and whatever she wants to do Becca.

etteluap70PC said:
I have never had that reaction. Your shows are mostly women who have had men not take them seriously. In the early 80's men were not yet accustomed to powerful women in the business world in positions of authority. Check out the book at the library. Maybe if you read her words you will understand better.

Good point. I think I will just buy the book at Amazon. :)

robochick84 said:

Me too!! Well, you can do your best to honor her request.

Fascinating thread... thanks for all the great information, especially to Scott!!
I just noticed down at the bottom that this topic has come up a few times, so for those of us who've never been asked this question, it's good to have some basic replies to give.

cheflorraine said:
Fascinating thread... thanks for all the great information, especially to Scott!!
I just noticed down at the bottom that this topic has come up a few times, so for those of us who've never been asked this question, it's good to have some basic replies to give.

Lol! Sometimes I always forget to search and see if someone has asked the same question I am thinking on another thread!!! ;) So everyone, I apologize for that. I just...have to ask someone the question RIGHT AWAY sometimes so I forget to search. :p

Well ... first off ... the people who are big on the "buy American" thing aren't driving Toyotas or Hondas. (Even if it's used and purchased from an American.) They probably drove Fords (assembled in Mexico, at least mine was!) or Chryslers, owned by a German company!If someone asks me where a product is made, I simply tell them it depends on the product and focus on how the stones are made in the USA and that this is very important to avoid lead. Then move on.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Chryslers, owned by a German company!

Actually, not true. Daimler has since sold to a Canadian company (approximately 2006 I believe).

So...I guess I am going to be dealing with people like this a lot then. :(

scottcooks said:
I tell my customers:

The Pampered Chef is smart enough to go to marketplaces around the world in search of the best and newest kitchen tools and spices for you and all their customers. Items come from across the globe, including Asia, Germany and the United States. All our spices and rubs are Certified Kosher – Pareve by Quality Kosher Supervision. The company guarantees all its products and our test kitchens thoroughly use and develop our new products in real kitchens. When I have toured, they have four kitchen suites ranging from gas to electric stoves, including induction and ceramic cooktop. They have ADA kitchen facilities and test all our products in varieties of microwaves, refrigerators, stoves and ovens. We have opened our company in Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and most recently, Mexico. Rest assured that Pampered Chef will continue to stand by its products, recipes and brand name for years to come! I am so confident in the company that I chose to join them, and would be so excited to have you do the same!

Scott, this is great to know and share...

Wow, Emi,
you are always so right on time for me. We went to a Silpada party tonight and took a platter of food, on an SA plate with the small bamboo tongs, and I noticed the "made in china" stamped on the side of them, and wondered if there is a customer reaction to that.

I think in any business there are people who will see things as a problem that don't bother us (my day job is in healthcare, and I hear a lot of odd objections!). I'm so glad you brought this up, because I learned so much from this great thread.
Everyone made such good points, and I know a lot more now than I did when I headed out the door with those tongs!

Marghi

BlueMoon said:
Wow, Emi,
you are always so right on time for me. We went to a Silpada party tonight and took a platter of food, on an SA plate with the small bamboo tongs, and I noticed the "made in china" stamped on the side of them, and wondered if there is a customer reaction to that.

I think in any business there are people who will see things as a problem that don't bother us (my day job is in healthcare, and I hear a lot of odd objections!). I'm so glad you brought this up, because I learned so much from this great thread.
Everyone made such good points, and I know a lot more now than I did when I headed out the door with those tongs!

Marghi

Thanks Marghi! You really do learn lots of stuff on this site and that's why I LOVE it!! :D
Hey, did you get my PM about how Marana isn't too terribly far from where we live? About an hour and 15 mins or so.

Great discussion! This has only happened to me once or twice in my 10 year career with PC. Not sure how I handled it but it is their preference.

Also, what ever is brought into the country has to meet standards as well. Anyone remember the "Holiday Spreaders" last year? The platters and the dishes with the Christmas trees on them. They did come in and were recalled by PC and put on stop sell. California has the highest standard for lead content and they did not pass. PC paid to pick them back up and the manufacturer had to come up with acceptable products. Granted, these did meet the standards in all other states but California. They did come up with an acceptable product for the platter and plates, but we never were able to sell the spreaders because the manufacturer could not come back with an acceptable product that met the necessary standards.

Side note:

emiscookin said:
Lol! Sometimes I always forget to search and see if someone has asked the same question I am thinking on another thread!!! ;) So everyone, I apologize for that. I just...have to ask someone the question RIGHT AWAY sometimes so I forget to search. :p

Some things are searchable, and others will bring up a thousand threads before you find something that is relating to what you were really searching for. :D So...sometimes it does take posting it for the related threads that have a good chance of applying to show up at the bottom. I don't know why, but it seems that "Similar threads" feature is a lot more dependable than the "search" system. :rolleyes: Or maybe that's just my observation and I'm wrong, in which case please don't throw things at me everyone. :D

babywings76 said:
Side note:

Some things are searchable, and others will bring up a thousand threads before you find something that is relating to what you were really searching for. :D So...sometimes it does take posting it for the related threads that have a good chance of applying to show up at the bottom. I don't know why, but it seems that "Similar threads" feature is a lot more dependable than the "search" system. :rolleyes: Or maybe that's just my observation and I'm wrong, in which case please don't throw things at me everyone. :D

Yeeeah. I've noticed that too!!! Have thought the same thing a couple of times. ;)

I came across this thread looking for a dutch oven that I got in 2018-2019 and I agree with the people at your party. I, too, questioned why everything comes from China. People like me don't want to support a country that hates us and would just as soon see us dead (COVID!) or take control of us, which they are trying to do and the idiot in command Bidbutt, is letting them do it. THAT'S why people don't want to buy China crap! If she looked harder, I feel like SOMEONE besides China would be willing to make the products for her.

Most of PC was made in Vietnam

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Christine Hughes
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
tkgraywolf
  • Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg