• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

When You Talk About Gift Certificates...

That's right. It's your incentive so you can run it any way you want. The point of having a drawing is to get the contact info so you can build your business.Great thank you!
blueikaos
How does this work?
We as a consultant buys a gift certificate? (does PC have special ones or can you use store bought gift certificates?)
Do we just enter the $10 or whatever the cost in as a consultant gift and they pay the rest?

I think you're talking about when we offer them as drawing prizes at fairs and such?

If so, I make up my own. When it is used I put that amount in as a consultant gift and any additional purchase by the customer is paid by them.

If you are talking about the PC gift certificates I don't talk about them. If someone wants to buy one I tell them how it works and will sell them if they still want it.

PC gift certificates: They are purchased from a consultant (often at a show) and the GC buyer pays the face value of the GC. The recipient gets the GC and a catalog in the mail. It can only be redeemed online at PC.com or by mail and can not be used on a show. The commission has already been paid to a consultant for the GC when it was purchased and if it was purchased at a show it was counted in the "guest sales" for her benefits. Any additional purchase the customer makes is not commissionable to anyone. She also pays direct shipping rates.

Last edited:
BethCooks4U said:
I think you're talking about when we offer them as drawing prizes at fairs and such?

If so, I make up my own. When it is used I put that amount in as a consultant gift and any additional purchase by the customer is paid by them.

If you are talking about the PC gift certificates I don't talk about them. If someone wants to buy one I tell them how it works and will sell them if they still want it.

PC gift certificates: They are purchased from a consultant (often at a show) and the GC buyer pays the face value of the GC. The recipient gets the GC and a catalog in the mail. It can only be redeemed online or by mail and can not be used on a show. The commission has already been paid to a consultant for the GC when it was purchased and if it was purchased at a show it was counted in the "guest sales" for her benefits. Any additional purchase the customer makes is not commissionable to anyone. She also pays direct shipping rates.

Which is one reason I don't talk about them, and discourage people from buying them. I had several GC recipients call me, asking if they could put the order on someone's show (can't do it), or bring a GC to a show to use it (can't do it)...OR try to use it online with the Outlet (can't do it), and every time they were very unhappy with how the system works. Plus, I HATED knowing that someone could be using a $50 GC to purchase $150 in items, and I wasn't getting the sale. :(

ChefBeckyD said:
Which is one reason I don't talk about them, and discourage people from buying them. I had several GC recipients call me, asking if they could put the order on someone's show (can't do it), or bring a GC to a show to use it (can't do it)...OR try to use it online with the Outlet (can't do it), and every time they were very unhappy with how the system works. Plus, I HATED knowing that someone could be using a $50 GC to purchase $150 in items, and I wasn't getting the sale. :(

I totally agree!

I apologize, yes I was talking about offering them as prizes at fairs.I have a booth coming up and was thinking about offering $10 gift certificates.
Just wasn't sure how to do it.

blueikaos said:
I apologize, yes I was talking about offering them as prizes at fairs.

I have a booth coming up and was thinking about offering $10 gift certificates.
Just wasn't sure how to do it.

Definitely make them up yourself payable only by you.

So then technically there is no limit to how many you can hand out??I can just say with any show over $400 in sales, I'll give you a $10 (or however much) gift cert?

blueikaos said:
So then technically there is no limit to how many you can hand out??

I can just say with any show over $400 in sales, I'll give you a $10 (or however much) gift cert?

That's right. It's your incentive so you can run it any way you want. The point of having a drawing is to get the contact info so you can build your business.

Great thank you!I plan on telling anyone who books a party with me THAT day, that if they get $400 in sales, I will give them a $15 gift certificate

another note about "OFFICIAL PC Gift Certificates" if the person is a past host with a current discount, they cannot use their discount.

I think the gift certificate system needs to be revised. The sale of a GC shouldn't count toward a host's show and no commission should be paid at the point of sale. It should be allowed to be used at a party, it should be able to be used with outlet items, and you should be able to use your discount with it. Commission gets paid when the GC is redeemed. If they were to start doing that, we might actually recommend them to people. I don't encourage GC because of how crappy the current system is.

It would be great to see them change the gift certificate program. I've often discouraged people from buying PC gift certificates at all. I've even so far as to give the host benefits if the purchase would have raised their show level.Here's what would be great:GC purchased at show counts towards host benefits & original consultant's commission.GC could be redeemed as a payment option through P3 (they can verify cc and pc dollars, why not gc?)When redeemed at a show, it would take the extra value & pay new consultant commission on the difference (order total - gc value = total to pay commission)When redeemed on a consultant's website, it could work the same way. With as electronically focused as we are becoming as a society, I'm really surprised they haven't changed the way to handle GC and make them a) gift cards b) more usable.

Crystal, in theory, LOVE IT! But I think it would be too hard for the computer programming side to calculate the non-commissionable sales on a show where the gift card was being redeemed. It would show higher commissionable sales until the payment method was entered, then the amount would drop. HO would literally have to make a pop up box each time we click on "items" asking if their is a gift card being redeemed (which would be a nightmare for the consultants) or deal with complaints to the corporate office when consultants start noticing the commissionable sales amounts dropping on their screen after entering a gift card as payment. And you know that they would be getting a LOT of calls! ;)

Then you'd also have rare cases where you collect all the orders, let the host choose her benefits & then when submitting the show find out that the gift card (either by customer error or fraud attempt) had already been redeemed. You'd have to contact the customer, contact the host, potentially change the host benefits, etc.

I too dislike the current system, but I think PC would be loosing a lot of money by making them redeemable on another show. There are people out there who would figure out how to defraud the system. Let's say you have a whole group of women who do monthly shows ... #1 hosts and everyone buys gift cards. #1 earns host benefits. #2 hosts & everyone REDEEMS gift cards. #2 earns host benefits. #3 hosts & everyone buys gift cards. #3 earns host benefits. #4 hosts & everyone REDEEMS gift cards. #4 earns host benefits. ... I think THAT is why corporate has the current policy in place. ;)

I was thyinking of the way Gift Cards work at my day job. I get a 15%-20% on just about everything in the store (there are some exceptions where I get no discount because we make nothing on those items). I do NOT get a discount when I buy a gift card. If I buy a $20 gift card, I pay $20. When I make purchases with that $20 gift card, now I get my discount because the GC is considered similar to a credit card. So, my $20 purchase is worth $21.50-$22 depending on what I purchase in the end.

The PC could easily switch to such a system. Again that is why I said that GCs would not count toward the show they are purchased through and no commission would be paid until they are redeemed. Yes, in theory I could sell a GC and have it redeemed through another consultant. Reality is that is the way we work now. We have no territories, I may sell something to my neighbor today and she could host a show with someone else next week. If commission isn't paid until the GC is redeemed, it is the most fair. I would actually promote GCs if that is how they worked.

BethCooks4U said:

PC gift certificates: They are purchased from a consultant (often at a show) and the GC buyer pays the face value of the GC. The recipient gets the GC and a catalog in the mail. It can only be redeemed online or by mail and can not be used on a show. The commission has already been paid to a consultant for the GC when it was purchased and if it was purchased at a show it was counted in the "guest sales" for her benefits. Any additional purchase the customer makes is not commissionable to anyone. She also pays direct shipping rates.

And to clarify (for those who are new)- it can ONLY be used at Pampered Chef's main website, NOT a consultant's.

I'm in the camp with the others. I don't talk about them.

esavvymom said:
And to clarify (for those who are new)- it can ONLY be used at Pampered Chef's main website, NOT a consultant's.

I'm in the camp with the others. I don't talk about them.

Thanks Bobbi. I fixed that on my original post.

I met a woman at the fair booth that we did just a few weeks ago. She inquired about using a gift cert. she received a while back as a gift. I did explain to her that she could only order products online or mail through PC directly and not through a consultant. She said she needs to find the gift cert. and I told her I would send her a new catalog in a couple weeks for our new season for her to peruse through.

After thinking about it I think what I am going to do is this: I will take the gift cert. from her and honor it, she does not have a consultant. I will just place her order on a show or encourage her to have her own show (even better) but in the end I will be paid my commission on the $25 GC by putting in the order and consultant gifting it. I will also gain a happy customer and potential future show booking and sales. And the gifting is tax deductable at the end of the year which is just around the corner.

Shelia - that ain't true! It might be for the PC techies but all sorts of places use GCs on-line without any problem. I ordered a printer last night with a a $138 GC. I had to pay an additional .30. the computer program figured out the difference so it could very easily be added to the commissionable sales amount in P3. As long as that number above the GC value is calculated, it can be added to whatever number it is programmed to be added to. Either they have not done it for whatever reason or they don't want to. But it can be done very easily. I like your thinking crystal. I think about 99% of us do not use them for just that reason. No commission on the excess, no pushy, pushy the GCs!

What are the different types of gift certificates available?

At Pampered Chef, we offer both physical and digital gift certificates. Physical gift certificates can be mailed to the recipient or the purchaser, while digital gift certificates can be emailed directly to the recipient.

How can I redeem a gift certificate?

To redeem a gift certificate, simply enter the code provided on the certificate at checkout. The amount of the gift certificate will be deducted from your total purchase.

Do gift certificates have an expiration date?

Yes, our gift certificates have an expiration date of one year from the date of purchase. After this date, the gift certificate will no longer be valid.

Can I use a gift certificate towards tax and shipping fees?

Yes, gift certificates can be used towards the total purchase amount, including any tax and shipping fees.

Can I combine multiple gift certificates for one purchase?

Yes, you can use multiple gift certificates for one purchase as long as the total amount of the gift certificates covers the total purchase amount.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MaggieH
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
raebates
  • cookingwithdawn
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • ChefNic