• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

When Can You Wash Your Hair After a Perm or Color???

In summary, it's been a while since Lisa worked as a shampoo girl in a salon, so things might be different now. But it's always okay to wash hair the next day after either a perm or getting it colored. Washing hair too soon after a perm can cause you to lose some of the curl.
Lisa/ChefBear
Gold Member
Hi all,
My dd got her hair permed last night and we know Gracie told us when she could wash hair (sooner than I remembered) and now can't remember if she can wash it today.

Also, I had my haired colored for first time ever and wanted to wash it today, but wasnt' sure if I could, anyone??

Thanks,

Lisa

It's been a while since I worked as a shampoo girl in a salon, so things might be different now...But it used to be that you don't shampoo your hair after a perm for 2 days. When perms are done, they just rinse off the solution and then use conditioner on it. But you shouldn't wash it for the 2 days. If you had it colored, it's okay to wash it the next day. They shampoo it 2 times after the color is done processing, and it's fine. But I recommend you use a shampoo suited for color treated hair.

I've actually washed my hair the same day as having it colored. My hair dresser told me after 3 washings the color will have a softer look, so I guess it fades some, but I've never seen color come off in the tub. I do use shampoo for color treated hair.

I have always washed my hair the next day after either a perm or getting it colored. I wasn't ever told any different, and my hair needs washing before going to work every day. I haven't ever had any problems with doing that.

I do have the shampoo for color treated hair, but couldn't remember what Gracie told me and I didn't want to mess it up.

Lisa

Haven't you seen Legally Blonde? Washing your hair within 24 hours is strictly forbidden because it deactivates the amoni...thioculate.. and the curls won't hold(okay I made up the word to sound like what Elle said).

That is how Elle won her first case. It is the same with color. That I know because I just had my hair done before my class reunion and could Not wash my hair the morning we all met at the races...

24 hours after a perm but immediately after color.You have to rinse that excess color out somehow and it's never hurt me to mix a little shampoo with the water. Plus you must IMMEDIATELY condition.

I have always heard 2 days after a perm but the hairdresser always washes my hair right after coloring. Washing hair too soon after a perm can cause you to lose some of the curl.

Well I washed it tonight before my SU show I went to and so far so good, other than hubby did say it's a little lighter and he noticed a "highlight" of grey in one area he didn't notice last night.

Oh well, Gracie was thrilled how it took so strong to my grey, so hopefully it won't keep coming out..........maybe I'll wait a few more days now that it's "clean" again, lol.

Lisa

What is the recommended wait time before washing my hair after a perm or color?

The general recommendation is to wait at least 24-48 hours before washing your hair after a perm or color treatment. This allows the chemicals to fully set and the color to fully penetrate the hair shaft.

Can I use any shampoo after a perm or color treatment?

No, it is important to use a shampoo specifically formulated for color-treated or permed hair. These shampoos are gentler and will help preserve the color and curl of your hair.

Why is it important to wait before washing my hair after a perm or color?

Waiting allows the hair cuticles to fully close and lock in the color and curls. Washing too soon can cause the chemicals to become unstable and can result in color fading or loosening of the curls.

Can I use hot water when washing my hair after a perm or color?

It is best to use lukewarm or cool water when washing your hair after a perm or color treatment. Hot water can strip the color and cause the curls to loosen. It can also dry out the hair and scalp.

Is it okay to wash my hair with conditioner only after a perm or color treatment?

No, it is important to use a shampoo to cleanse the hair and scalp after a perm or color treatment. Conditioner alone will not effectively remove any residual chemicals or product buildup from the hair.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kathytnt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DizziePixie
  • chefjwr
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies