• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Calming Nerves Before Shows: A Struggle for Performers

In summary, nerves can never be completely eliminated before a show. However, using notecards and referencing them less each time can help ease into the experience. Having fun and being yourself can help ease any nerves.
Swirl
When are my nerves going to calm down when I'm doing shows? I get so worked up before the show trying to pack up stuff and get everything I need, then getting there and setting up (my nerves are fried by then). I keep telling myself it's going to get better the more shows I do but it hasn't happened yet. I tend to loose my train of thought during the show and I feel like then I'm just rambling on and on about nothing. I have done 5 shows and I have one this evening for almost 30 people and I don't know if I'm coming or going half the time. Sometimes I think I need to rethink my decision about doing this, is it worth the state it puts me in?! And low and behold I seem to always get a cold before a show, so then I'm doped up on cold medicine to keep from coughing my head off, it's a no end situation. Ok so now I'm rambling again, sorry :rolleyes: I just want to know if this gets easier or is it always this way before a show? Thanks for listening (or reading) my craziness!

In a way nerves will never completely go away. I know some professional speakers who say each time before they speak they still feel nervous. Nerves don't neccessarily have to be a bad thing either. What you need to try and do is turn that negative nervous feeling and turn it into positive energy and passion. Before you speak remind yourself why your doing this, why it's fun and why it makes you feel good. Things will definately get easier as you become more expierenced, just keep with it and continue to seek tips and advice. Also rambling doesn't have to be a bad thing either. The last thing your audience wants to hear is a robot going through the product booklet. Let in some personality, tell some funny stories and personal opinions along with the facts.

Last edited:
Do you use notecards? That will help you from losing your train of thought.

I still use notecards for every single show.

I created my entire show outline on Power Point and printed out the outline on card stock! I tell all of my guests that they're my idiot cards. :D That always gets a laugh. I created a set that can be used for whatever kind of recipe that I'm making!

Thanks for the advice guys...I really appreciate it. I love this site and the people who use it!! My show tonite went ok but I always come away from it thinking I should have said that and I could have said that. Oh well life goes on and thank goodness it doesn't last forever. I'm just hoping I get into some kind of a routine and things come to me better while in the spot light. Let's hope practice makes perfect!! :D

been there!I almost did not sign because of the fear of public presentations! But I bit the bullet and did and it does get easier as you go along, I swear! I've had 15 kitchen shows under my belt and each one seems better each time! I still use an outline but I am having to refer to it less each show! Hang in there you will ease into it I am sure! Try and have fun and they will have fun then you can walk away feeling like it was a great show!

good luck! :)

I know it got easier for me as far as speaking in front of people. I always think of things I could of said or should have said after my show and kick myself. Practice makes perfect or better at least!

Swirl said:
Thanks for the advice guys...I really appreciate it. I love this site and the people who use it!! My show tonite went ok but I always come away from it thinking I should have said that and I could have said that. Oh well life goes on and thank goodness it doesn't last forever. I'm just hoping I get into some kind of a routine and things come to me better while in the spot light. Let's hope practice makes perfect!! :D
I STILL come away from shows realizing I forgot to mention this or let the guests know about that. It never fails. Last time it was Round Up from the Heart! Duh!!!! :eek:

I about had a nervous break down with my first show... no exaggeration...
But now...five years later... I still get a little nervous at some shows... some I just feel at ease with, maybe it's the host, or the recipe, or just the mood I'm in???
I think showing them that you are not a public speaker, shows them that they can do it too!
I always tell why I started the business, and say that this is out of character of me, I'm no sales person nor a public speaker, but I can do this and I love it!

I don't make notes anymore, I just have the cookbook in front of me, and I show them which cookbook I'm using.

I think the biggest thing is be consistent with bookings. When I go a month or so without doing a demo...THAT is when I get VERY nervous again. If I have many shows in a row, I don't even think about it, I just get up and start talking.

Hang in there! Don't quit now!Try to have one show a week... and when you are cooking at home... talk to yourself like you're demonstrating to a crowd... only your family will think you're crazy... but your guests will think you are smooth!

1. How can I overcome stage fright before a performance?

One way to calm your nerves before a performance is to practice deep breathing exercises. Take slow, deep breaths and focus on your breathing to help relax your body and mind.

2. Is there a specific type of food or drink that can help calm nerves before a show?

There is no one specific food or drink that is guaranteed to calm nerves, but some performers find that drinking chamomile tea or eating a banana can help with anxiety. It's important to stick to a healthy, balanced diet leading up to a performance to help manage stress.

3. How can I mentally prepare myself before going on stage?

Mental preparation can vary for each performer, but some common techniques include visualization, positive self-talk, and focusing on the present moment rather than worrying about the outcome. It's also helpful to have a pre-performance routine or ritual to help you get in the right mindset.

4. Are there any physical exercises or stretches that can help with nerves before a show?

Yes, some performers find that doing light stretches or yoga poses can help release tension and calm nerves before a show. It's important to not do any strenuous exercises that could tire you out before a performance.

5. How can I maintain a sense of calm and confidence throughout the entire performance?

One way to maintain a sense of calm and confidence during a performance is to focus on your breathing and stay in the present moment. It can also be helpful to remind yourself that you have practiced and prepared for this moment and to trust in your abilities as a performer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmelody
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • Tylis
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies