• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's Your Best Organization Tip?

In summary, Jilleysue's tips for organization are to keep it simple, make sure you have a consistent place where you write all your notes, use an online calendar, and to keep your desk free of paperwork. Thank you, Jilleysue, for sharing your tips with us!
twinkie10
Gold Member
What's your best Organization tip?

Re: OrganizationI'm sorry... can you speak English please? I don't understand that long, funny looking word that starts with "O"....

Re: Organization1. Keep it simple.

2. Make sure you have a consistent place (online notepad, calendar, notebook, etc...) where you jot down all your notes.
NEVER THINK YOU WILL REMEMBER IT, WRITE IT DOWN

Great chinese saying:
The palest ink is better than the sharpest memory!

Debbie :D

Re: OrganizationOne word: Jilleysue
LOL

Re: OrganizationGet your paperwork organized with a good filing system. If you like, I can post my filing list that I use. I have my PC stuff in orange folders and they are in one drawer of my filing cabinet and all my other stuff is in boring brown folders and in another drawer of my filing cabinet.

I have found that organizing my paperwork was the most challenging. There is still more that I have to do, but at least it is down to just a small pile! It's nice to be able to go to a folder and find exactly what I need in a few short seconds! :)

Re: OrganizationHAHAHAHA. Tooo Funny
1. Label Everything
2. Keep as much Electronic as you can. You don't need 100 copies of every single thing.
3. On that note, keep your folders on your computer organized and back up, back up, back up. I do this daily.
4. Every 6 months, do a clean sweep. Out with the old, in with the new. Like season cleaning.
5. Use an online calendar. I use my iphone or ipod and sync it every day to my computer. Greatest invention ever. Going more electronic has saved literally hours of searching for things from my day. You have no idea.
6. Keep your desk free of paperwork. Mine has none on it. Everything is in a file drawer and I pull it out as I work on it. I'll take a picture of my work desk for you guys. I learned this tip from a Japanese book I was reading on organization.

Here are my top 6 tips. I'll try to think of more but these really make a difference.

Last edited:
Re: OrganizationHere are the pictures of my office with the no paper on desk unless you use it approach. :chef:

Attachments

• office1.jpg
    office1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 527
  • office2.jpg
    office2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 495
  • office3.jpg
    office3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 425
Re: OrganizationHi Jilleysue!

Nice to see you this morning!

Re: Organization
KellyTheChef said:
Hi Jilleysue!

Nice to see you this morning!

Nice to see all of you. I knew conference just came up, so I had to see how much fun everyone had...LOL. :)

Re: OrganizationWow, Jillysue! I love your office!!! :love: I have a question for you. I have been debating going electronic (I love gadgets!) but just can't quite get there....still a little nervous. What would be your suggestion for making the "plunge"?

Oh, sorry for the hijack! :eek:

hehe...notice only 50 more posts 'til I get my star!! :D

Re: OrganizationGreat question! I would to hear the answer as well.

Re: OrganizationWell I have been the gadget queen and my problem is I have to have every gadget and then it has sooo much software and things you have to install or sync or do that I lose interest or patience. I really can't answer with the idea that I have tried every PDA, but the one thing that I absolutely love is my IPHONE. It was the easiest thing to install and I sync it every day to my microsoft outlook. Greatest thing ever. There is no entering contacts anymore, they all sync. All my appointments sync. Everything is done. If I ever lose my phone, all my information is in my outlook. My google mail, aol mail and work mail is all in one place. The internet is there. I see a lot of vendors at work using blackberries etc, but the buttons are just too small for me. I love the iphone. I love having my music, camera and work all in one place. I dont have to carry around 6 electronics. If I go on vacation of course I bring my good camera, but if I need my camera in a hurry, its right there and it syncs the next time, I hook to my computer. AWESOME. Organization at its best!!!

Re: OrganizationAwww, I didn't even notice, you guys were typing in purple...LOL

Re: OrganizationI'm a little jealous about the iPhone. Just got it here in Canada, but it's pretty expensive and the plan offered by Rogers is not great at all. So, no iPhone for me....for now. Been looking at the blackberry pearl though, but would cost too much to buy, 'cause I'm not getting a great deal from my service provider if I do the switch over. I guess one of these days, I'll just bite the bullet!! :)

Re: OrganizationI am still trying to figure out how to organize my recipes...other and PC. Any ideas?

Re: OrganizationI thought I loved my Blackberry. Until the other day when I realized to actually use the features that I wanted to use just once in a while (I don't need to check e-mail or the internet on my phone since I'm home all day) I had to have a $30 per month blackberry package on top of my cell service. I was so ticked. Dropped that phone like a hot potato. :)

pkd09 said:
I am still trying to figure out how to organize my recipes...other and PC. Any ideas?

Yep, that's been a struggle for me too. One day I put them all in a binder, the next, I decide to put them in a recipe box! Ah, the dilema (sp?)!!

For the PC recipes that come with the products, I have them all in a file box. I usually rip off the care instructions and put them in a seperate box, alphabetized by product name.

The rest of my recipes are between books, binders and I have a recipe box for recipes I use more often.

One tip I learned is, when I cut a recipe out of a magazine or something, I put today's date on it. When I'm cleaning up my recipe collection, if I haven't tried the recipe in say 6 months or a year, I throw it out, 'cause chances are I'll never make it!

crystalscookingnow said:
I thought I loved my Blackberry. Until the other day when I realized to actually use the features that I wanted to use just once in a while (I don't need to check e-mail or the internet on my phone since I'm home all day) I had to have a $30 per month blackberry package on top of my cell service. I was so ticked. Dropped that phone like a hot potato. :)

Yeah, I keep asking myself if I would really need to check my email that bad! Probably not!! I'd be better off getting iPod Touch and accessing WiFi to do that.

PChefPEI said:
Yep, that's been a struggle for me too. One day I put them all in a binder, the next, I decide to put them in a recipe box! Ah, the dilema (sp?)!!

For the PC recipes that come with the products, I have them all in a file box. I usually rip off the care instructions and put them in a seperate box, alphabetized by product name.

The rest of my recipes are between books, binders and I have a recipe box for recipes I use more often.

One tip I learned is, when I cut a recipe out of a magazine or something, I put today's date on it. When I'm cleaning up my recipe collection, if I haven't tried the recipe in say 6 months or a year, I throw it out, 'cause chances are I'll never make it!

I used to do this....but after a while, that too got to be overwhelming - so many products!

Now, after reading them, I just toss them - all of the info is on the website.

ChefBeckyD said:
I used to do this....but after a while, that too got to be overwhelming - so many products!

Now, after reading them, I just toss them - all of the info is on the website.

Good point Becky! Could be one other little thing for me to "declutter"! :)

PChefPEI said:
Good point Becky! Could be one other little thing for me to "declutter"! :)

Yeah, I need all of the help I can get...I live in a constant state of clutter.:eek:

Re: OrganizationI have all recipes in a file folder electronically alphabetized. I either typed them or scan them in. All the recipes that came with product, I scanned and saved under recipes. Hit organize by name and there they are...all in order. You can even save them by main dish, dessert or appetizer.

Last edited:
PChefPEI said:
I'm a little jealous about the iPhone. Just got it here in Canada, but it's pretty expensive and the plan offered by Rogers is not great at all. So, no iPhone for me....for now. Been looking at the blackberry pearl though, but would cost too much to buy, 'cause I'm not getting a great deal from my service provider if I do the switch over. I guess one of these days, I'll just bite the bullet!! :)

What about the Samsung BlackJack. Do yall have it? It is very similar to the Blackberry and was much cheaper for me.

I LOVE it! I do not pay for the internet and email stuff b/c I do not need that but that still does not keep me from loving and using the phone daily.

Re: OrganizationI hate online/electronic calendars of any kind. I can never keep them updated. I would much rather write it on my calendar where I can look at it anytime I'm at my desk/ in my kitchen (since my desk is in my kitchen). I write appointments down as I make them, etc. The only thing different is that I put all my bookings into P3 automatically, then I write them on the calendar when I get home.

I can do electronic anything else, just not my calendar, even though everyone tells me it really is the way to go. I just forget so many things if I can't see them on a constant basis.

missmindym said:
I hate online/electronic calendars of any kind. I can never keep them updated. I would much rather write it on my calendar where I can look at it anytime I'm at my desk/ in my kitchen (since my desk is in my kitchen). I write appointments down as I make them, etc. The only thing different is that I put all my bookings into P3 automatically, then I write them on the calendar when I get home.

I can do electronic anything else, just not my calendar, even though everyone tells me it really is the way to go. I just forget so many things if I can't see them on a constant basis.

Really? I actually use to feel the same way, but microsoft outlook is the easier and most user friendly. I have everything on there now. I love it.:thumbup:

jrstephens said:
What about the Samsung BlackJack. Do yall have it? It is very similar to the Blackberry and was much cheaper for me.

I LOVE it! I do not pay for the internet and email stuff b/c I do not need that but that still does not keep me from loving and using the phone daily.

I did hear of the BlackJack, but never looked into it. Will have to do that....thanks! :)

Just had a thought....wouldn't it be cool if I could do PP on iPod Touch or whatever??

PChefPEI said:
I did hear of the BlackJack, but never looked into it. Will have to do that....thanks! :)

Just had a thought....wouldn't it be cool if I could do PP on iPod Touch or whatever??

I would be in heaven!!:)

Re: OrganizationJilleysue, do you take a laptop to shows? I'm assuming you don't keep any show paperwork of any kind, correct? I'm considering keeping show paperwork only until the show is received and orders delivered - then shred 'em.

If you can give any tips on how to organize your computer files, that would be great....maybe screenshots of your folders????? :D Is that too much to ask? :angel:

Winnipegk said:
Jilleysue, do you take a laptop to shows? I'm assuming you don't keep any show paperwork of any kind, correct? I'm considering keeping show paperwork only until the show is received and orders delivered - then shred 'em.

If you can give any tips on how to organize your computer files, that would be great....maybe screenshots of your folders????? :D Is that too much to ask? :angel:

I second that idea! :)

Jilleysue said:
Really? I actually use to feel the same way, but microsoft outlook is the easier and most user friendly. I have everything on there now. I love it.:thumbup:

Is Outlook easier to use than the iCal program? I have never tried outlook. I have a Treo and LOVE that everything syncs to my computer!

Re: OrganizationThis is what I'm working on. Organizing. I'm letting go of 4 years of paperwork. I will keep the last couple of months, any mystery host or special shows that I want more info than P3 allows. I'm also going through the drawers, files, etc of papers that I kept "just in case" and probably have never looked at. I CAN do this.

That's the most important thing. Get rid of the clutter (stuff you don't use/need) b/c you can't be organized in clutter. Of course, I have a friend helping forcing me to do it. She is being so kind to help me figure out that removing my scrapbooking stuff and stuff I don't care about will make me happy :p

It's working! One drawer/shelf at a time!

Re: OrganizationWay to go, Jules! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :D

Re: OrganizationOkay, so I'm working on my organization tonight and am feeling overwhelmed and confused with all my show paperwork....should I just input info into PP (which I don't particularly find user-friendly); do I keep it all and use that for reference (some shows I would have to print some of the receipts to finalize, because they're a mess!).....I just don't know what to do.

I've been making CCC and putting the call details on the receipt. Now, I am finding that I know I have customers who bought more than once, but can't remember what show, so I'm thinking "what if I call them twice and forget that I called the first time?"....now that would be a little embarassing!! :eek:

Okay, since I am hijacking your thread, twinkie, I better add another organization tip - use pretty photo boxes to store things like small door prizes, SS cookbooks and recipe cards.

Re: OrganizationBumping....anyone have any wise words for the not-so-wise? :p

Re: OrganizationOkay...so I'm thinking along the sames lines, I think. I tend to write stuff down as I talk on the phone to customers. Now, I could transfer it to the computer, which I may TRY to do, but then I feel I have to have my computer with to make calls. Of course, I'm usually at home and my info is on a laptop so I can bring it with me if I need. I've already started dumping old info. I am keeping info that is easier in print than on the computer (such as mystery host shows).So I suggest that you transfer any important info to even another program if you don't find PP helpful. I actually keep a lot of info in Outlook so I know when people attend expos and such. That way I can look them up quickly as I'm returning a call.I was overwhelmed by paperwork too (which is funny since most is neatly filed away) so I've decided since I really never look at it (after the show is completely done), I should get rid of it. Yes, I intended to go back and...whatever...but I didn't so I'm starting anew. That way I feel less pressure from everything and will do possibly do some little stuff now.Oh...and this IS an organizational issue! Paperwork and computer organizing are the most overwhelming, I think. Nice advice about the photo boxes. That's what I do :)

Re: OrganizationThank you Jules! :) I think that I need to look at my paperwork one piece of paper at a time instead of it as a whole, because I get overwhelmed that way. I like the idea of Outlook, although I haven't figured out how to switch from Outlook Express to MSOutlook yet (but that's another topic! :rolleyes:).

So, I'm thinking maybe an Excel doc? Does anyone have that? My trouble is, I don't have a laptop (yet!), only a desktop computer and it's not always on, so that's what stops me....it's a pain to turn it on! It's just easier to grab papers and go, but if those aren't in order, then I'm not that much more ahead of the game!! :rolleyes:

Re: OrganizationBumping this to see if Jillysue is around....I'd still love to see how you organize your electronic files!

PChefPEI said:
Get your paperwork organized with a good filing system. If you like, I can post my filing list that I use. I have my PC stuff in orange folders and they are in one drawer of my filing cabinet and all my other stuff is in boring brown folders and in another drawer of my filing cabinet.

I have found that organizing my paperwork was the most challenging. There is still more that I have to do, but at least it is down to just a small pile! It's nice to be able to go to a folder and find exactly what I need in a few short seconds! :)
Yes, I would be interested to have your filing list.

Re: OrganizationJust checked her profile - she hasn't signed on since July - hope all is well with her - anyone know?

JAE said:
Yes, I would be interested to have your filing list.

Must have missed this. I've attached my list for you.

Attachments

• My files.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 311
pkd09 said:
I am still trying to figure out how to organize my recipes...other and PC. Any ideas?

I have used Mastercook for many years, and I love it!

EmilyTheChef said:
I have used Mastercook for many years, and I love it!

Could you expand on what Mastercook is?

1. What is your best organization tip for a small kitchen?

My best organization tip for a small kitchen is to utilize vertical space. Install shelves or hooks on the walls to store pots, pans, and utensils. You can also use a hanging rack for storing pots and pans to free up cabinet and counter space.

2. How can I keep my pantry organized?

One of the best organization tips for a pantry is to use clear containers or bins to store items. This not only keeps everything visible and easy to find, but it also helps to maximize space. Label the containers for even more organization.

3. What is your go-to tip for organizing a cluttered closet?

My go-to tip for organizing a cluttered closet is to declutter first. Take everything out and sort through what you no longer need or use. Then, invest in some storage solutions such as hanging organizers, bins, and shelves to keep everything in its place.

4. How can I keep my desk organized at work?

One of the best organization tips for a desk at work is to designate a place for everything. Use desk organizers or trays to keep papers, pens, and other supplies in order. Also, make it a habit to declutter and tidy up your desk at the end of each day.

5. What is your best tip for organizing a busy schedule?

My best tip for organizing a busy schedule is to use a planner or calendar to keep track of appointments, tasks, and deadlines. Make sure to prioritize and schedule in time for breaks and self-care. Also, try to plan and prepare for the week ahead on Sundays to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• blueikaos
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • sandilou
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • stephgsl1