• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is The Pampered Chef Removing Christmas from its Mission Statement?

In summary, the president of the Pampered Chef took away Christmas from their company and the head of the company is offended. They also think that the sales force is not Christian, which is not true. They would like for seasonal videos to be made for Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Christmas, and Kwanzaa.
scottcooks
Gold Member
I sent the following to solution center and my (National Senior Exec) director. If you agree, please draft something similar and send to solution center...

"Hello!

I am so proud to represent The Pampered Chef with its noble beginnings as a company who recognized and actually included God in their mission statement. I also appreciate that we as a company recognize fashion and give our customers choices which reflect our industry (ceramic cookware) as well as the world around us (bamboo, silicone, non-BPA acrylics).

I was offended to receive a 'happy holiday' greeting from our President. I like Marla and am saddened to think that The Pampered Chef is bending knee to the secular world to remove Christmas from the December lexicon.

I understand our entire sales force is not Christian. So if we are going to be all things to all people, then step up and create seasonal videos for Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Christmas and Kwanzaa. I am sorely disappointed as a Christian in a Christian country, to be treated to a 'happy holidays' greeting. The first words out of my mouth having viewed it, were 'shame on you'.

That being said, I continue to pray for you and your families, for our company, our nation and the world.

I'm sure there is a more creative solution than to simply follow along with what everyone else does. If in fact, sales are reduced - or customers are negatively impacted, or consultants are somehow put at risk by others when we say, "Merry Christmas", then please share that data with us. What is wrong with Christmas?"

In most cases I would agree with you but as the head of a large company like PC she does have to be more inclusive. Personally I thought the message was lame - like she wasn't comfortable with the message. I did think it interesting that she talked about the tree yet didn't say "Merry Christmas". It would have been better had she said a string of greetings of each holiday or something. Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays have their place but then say them earlier in the season (like closer to Thanksgiving) and not right at Christmas.

I know I'm all over the place with this response but it's a complicated issue. Personally I say Merry Christmas and if my friend is Jewish I also say Happy Hanukkah. I got my son's girlfriend a card that said "Happy Holidays" that she will get when we celebrate Christmas. In the card I wrote "Happy Hanukkah" and "Merry Christmas". I honor her holiday and mine too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying Merry Christmas, but I think that Happy Holidays is a perfectly reasonable message. I know that there are a lot of other Christians who feel offended by that, but I personally am not ever offended by the kind wishes of others.People should just say what's in their hearts.

I tend to use "Happy Holidays" with people I won't see again before the new year. I'm not offended by the term but get pretty crabby with people who insist on sueing to remove religion from everything. If you don't like it, put on your big boy/girl pants and turn your head. No one is forcing anyone practice a religion, but don't strip it from those of us who do have a religion that we practice.

It's a month filled with various holidays (for different faiths and New Year's) and is an all-inclusive term. I don't see it as a derogatory term meant to offend Christians, I see it as a polite way to convey well wishes to everyone receiving the message for the occasion(s) that they are celebrating.

My friends and I were just talking about this yesterday. One friend pointed out that holiday is actually HOLY day so why get all upset about using Holiday instead of Christmas. It still has a religious background. We have one friend who made such a big deal about saying merry christmas and not happy holidays that now someone (we can't figure out who) is sending him annoymous Happy Holiday cards one a day all month along. So I guess my point is going too far to any extreme can get a bit ridiculous.

I agree with Scott. I also agree that Marla's message was lame and didn't appear to be heartfelt.They make sure to tell us when the take the entire office staff out for lunch, which also bothered me. Not that they shouldn't have taken them, but let's honor the consultants, also. We truly are the front line. I know, I know, we get specials all the time, but we also get taxed on those. Feeling a bit grumpy today. Sorry.

Tracy99 said:
My friends and I were just talking about this yesterday. One friend pointed out that holiday is actually HOLY day so why get all upset about using Holiday instead of Christmas. It still has a religious background. We have one friend who made such a big deal about saying merry christmas and not happy holidays that now someone (we can't figure out who) is sending him annoymous Happy Holiday cards one a day all month along. So I guess my point is going too far to any extreme can get a bit ridiculous.

Hha...dont tell anyone else that. They will try to make us stop saying Holiday! If people just read history more, they would learn ALOT of things stem from religion.

I understand your frustration with those who wish a generic "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", but one sentence in your email really stood out to me:

scottcooks said:
I am sorely disappointed as a Christian in a Christian country, to be treated to a 'happy holidays' greeting. The first words out of my mouth having viewed it, were 'shame on you'.

Do you really think this is a "Christian country"? I mean, I agree, most of this country's founders were Christian, however, they founded the country to be tolerant of ALL religions. They were sick of being persecuted and prevented from practicing the religion of their choice in Europe, and founded a country that would allow the practice of ALL religions, including those that are not Christian-based. So, to say that this country is "Christian" is very excluding of you. I don't think of this country as any one religious background. I think of it as what it is - a melting pot of ALL religions, where we can learn from each other, be accepting of each other's differences, and love each other no matter what our backgrounds or beliefs.

I think that is what Marla was trying to convey in her message. She was trying to be inclusive of ALL of the people who represent The Pampered Chef and the United States today. We are all not Christians, and it would be rude of her to assume we all are, in my opinion.

I agree with Scott and I think Marla's video's in general have been "acting lessons 101" the past couple of times. I do enjoy the idea of receiving them, however.

They are trying at least!

I'm a Christian too but I don't like it when people refer to the USofA as a Christian country. As Cathy said, this country was founded to be inclusive to all religions and to protect the rights of citizens to practice ANY religion or even NO religion. Be thankful for our freedoms. Don't diss others who don't share your beliefs. A person's actions and words are so much more important than what religion they practice. The conservative religious right in this country is IMHO the reason for the lack of our congressmen and women working together to solve our nation's problems. Okay off the soapbox now. Don't like to discuss politics or religion and I can't believe I'm doing this. Won't happen again.

Hi, all! Cathyskitchen, yes I do - even though our national leadership says otherwise. (should have said Judeo-Christian, sorry; my bad!)
katem51, if we don't speak up and hold our company leadership to standards we expect of them, we contribute to their demise. My fathers and forefathers, brothers, sisters, and neighbors have fought (and died) for our freedoms - Rather than disrespect anyone, encouragement was given to others toward holding company leadership to a high standard. FYI they wrote me back... "I greatly appreciate the feedback you have provided below and I will ensure it reaches Marla's office for consideration next year. The Pampered Chef is consistently open to new ideas and your feedback is always welcomed."

scottcooks said:
FYI they wrote me back... "I greatly appreciate the feedback you have provided below and I will ensure it reaches Marla's office for consideration next year. The Pampered Chef is consistently open to new ideas and your feedback is always welcomed."

LOL! Just had to laugh at the idea that saying Merry Christmas is a new idea. :p

I am not offended by anyone's "happy holiday" greeting...although I always say "Merry Christmas". Businesses don't know what holiday we are personally celebrating, so I really don't have a problem with them saying "happy holidays".
As far as our country being a Christian nation...I truly believe that as a whole, it is. And yes, we were founded on the basis of freedom of...not from...religion. I am a follower of Christ and one who strives to be like Christ...although I fail miserably...and I share my faith, morals and values with everyone, with my words, by voting and/or just plain living them. I do not have a problem with anyone else's religion...we each have to make our own decisions. Everyone wants to yell about Christians being tolerant of other religions, but the only religion no being tolerated anymore is Christianity. I'm not trying to start a fight, but why is it acceptable to put up a minorah, or any other religious symbol, but not a cross or a nativity scene? Christmas is all about the birth of Christ and we celebrate that on Dec. 25th. If your religious beliefs are different than mine I don't expect you to celebrate Easter or Christmas...but don't try to take away my right to celebrate. I'm not offended when my Jewish friends tell me Happy Hanikah and I'm not offended by their traditions for celebrating, so why should they be offended by mine? Whatever holiday you celebrate or don't celebrate is up to you, but don't tell me how to celebrate mine...
but, that is neither here not there...I'm off my soapbox now...sorry. And sorry for spelling errors, but I'm just too tired to correct them...

1. What are some common issues people have with Christmas?

Some common issues people have with Christmas include feeling overwhelmed by the commercialization of the holiday, feeling pressured to spend money, and feeling stressed about family obligations and expectations.

2. How can I avoid overspending during the holiday season?

To avoid overspending during the holiday season, try setting a budget and sticking to it, making homemade gifts, and focusing on the true meaning of the holiday rather than material possessions.

3. How can I reduce holiday stress?

To reduce holiday stress, try prioritizing and delegating tasks, setting realistic expectations, and taking time for self-care and relaxation amidst the chaos.

4. How can I celebrate Christmas without contributing to consumerism?

To celebrate Christmas without contributing to consumerism, try focusing on experiences and quality time with loved ones rather than material gifts, supporting small and local businesses, and giving back to those in need.

5. Can I still enjoy Christmas without participating in religious traditions?

Yes, you can still enjoy Christmas without participating in religious traditions. Many people celebrate the holiday as a secular or cultural event, focusing on themes of love, kindness, and giving rather than religious beliefs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • RMDave
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lcucinella
  • BethCooks4U
  • General Chat
Replies