• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What You Must Do if a Light Bulb Breaks...

In summary, if a regular old incandescent light bulb breaks, we vacuum up the shards and replace the bulb. If it breaks in a lamp, we use a potato to jam over the remains of the bulb and unscrew it from the lamp, then throw it away and vacuum up the shards. If you subscribe to the theory that a compact fluorescent light bulb is the way of the future, here are the steps you MUST follow, as dictated by the US EPA, if you happen to break one: 1. Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more. 2. Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one. 3. Carefully
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
If a regular old incandescent light bulb breaks, we vacuum up the shards and replace the bulb. If it breaks in a lamp, we use a potato to jam over the remains of the bulb and unscrew it from the lamp, then throw it away and vacuum up the shards.

That's it.

But, if you subscribe to the theory that a compact fluorescent light bulb is the way of the future, here are the steps you MUST follow, as dictated by the US EPA, if you happen to break one - and this is for real:

What to Do if a Fluorescent Light Bulb Breaks

Compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) are lighting more homes than ever before, and EPA is encouraging Americans to use and recycle them safely. Carefully recycling CFLs prevents the release of mercury into the environment and allows for the reuse of glass, metals and other materials that make up fluorescent lights.

EPA is continually reviewing its clean-up and disposal recommendations for CFLs to ensure that the Agency presents the most up-to-date information for consumers and businesses. Maine's Department of Environmental Protection released a CFL breakage study report on February 25, 2008. EPA has conducted an initial review of this study and, as a result of this review, we have updated the CFL cleanup instructions below.

Pending the completion of a full review of the Maine study, EPA will determine whether additional changes to the cleanup recommendations are warranted. The agency plans to conduct its own study on CFLs after thorough review of the Maine study.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls

Frequently Asked Questions about Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs and Mercury (PDF) (2 pp., 71K)

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/id/univwast/lamps/live.htm

Fluorescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal guidelines:

Before Clean-up: Vent the Room

1. Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
2. Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces

3. Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
4. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
5. Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes and place them in the glass jar or plastic bag.
6. Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.

Clean-up Steps for Carpeting or Rug

3. Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
4. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
5. If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
6. Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.

Disposal of Clean-up Materials

7. Immediately place all cleanup materials outside the building in a trash container or outdoor protected area for the next normal trash.
8. Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
9. Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states prohibit such trash disposal and require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.

Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Vent the Room During and After Vacuuming

10. The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window prior to vacuuming.
11. Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

Yes, it IS for real. I read all of that a few months back when we were having some lightbulb conversation about what wattage of the new bulbs can you put in a socket.Sometimes technology sucks!I had to go back to using the older bulbs in my bathroom. I put the newer ones in and burned them all out within a year. The newer ones are meant to be turned on and warmed up slowly, not flipped on and off for brief use like in a bathroom. It was easier and MAYBE cheaper to put the old ones in the bathroom then try to train 4 people to leave the lights on in the bathroom all the time...

Technology doesn't suck.Do-gooders in the government suck.

Wow ~ are you kidding me? Makes me glad I don't have any flourescent ones in my house. I was going to switch them all...but second thoughts now.

Love the potato trick ~ thanks!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Technology doesn't suck.

Do-gooders in the government suck.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Kitchen2u said:
Wow ~ are you kidding me? Makes me glad I don't have any flourescent ones in my house. I was going to switch them all...but second thoughts now.

Love the potato trick ~ thanks!
I'm stocking up on incandescent bulbs - there are rumblings that some state governments, and perhaps even the feds, are going to outlaw incandescent bulbs and force us to buy this curly, pig-tail, eye bending fluourescent bulbs.

The one saving grace, if we can derail the mandate for CFL's, is the advent of the LED bulb.

Just the same, there are places the only bulb that does the job is the good ol' Thomas Edison light bulb.

Huh... I've had CFLs in my house for 8 years now (the first one finally bit the dust - I started switching back when they were over $20/bulb..) and haven't had any trouble with them burning out 'early'. In fact, our electric wiring here is ooolllddd... and the low draw needed for CFLs actually works a lot better than with incands which we used to try using in the bedrooms and they'd burn out in a couple months (in two rooms in particular - not sure if it's the antique sockets or what)... something was zapping them down the way. CFLs.. no worries. The old ones needed warm up time but the new ones you can't even tell the difference... the one we just had burn out you could really tell... that was in our living room and the warm up was very noticeable but the new ones, seem to be pretty instant.BTW, there was a great episode of Mythbusters that covered all sorts of lightbulbs and how long they lasted and how much energy is saved by switching off, even if you leave a room for only a short time and there was a savings with all bulbs and CFLs lasted much longer even when switched on and off... LEDs did the best but they're not good for the diffused light a room would need... and the bulbs they are making are really expensive. But the good news is Christmas tree lights and flashlights are great with LEDs (we have a flashlight that's cranked for power - no batteries or charging needed).I can't imagine a CFL breaking off in the socket with normal use though. The glass seems a lot sturdier than with incandescents. The study says they broke them to experiment but I wonder what the real occurrence is of that happening in the real world.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Technology doesn't suck.

Do-gooders in the government suck.

Yes, agree 100%, I could have worded that better! :)

What To Do If A Compact Fluorescent Bulb Cracks - The Boston GlobeAnd if that doesn't make you ill, follow up on this story:
WorldNetDaily News said:
...So, last month, the Prospect, Maine, resident went out and bought two dozen CFLs and began installing them in her home. One broke. A month later, her daughter's bedroom remains sealed off with plastic like the site of a hazardous materials accident, while Bridges works on a way to pay off a $2,000 estimate by a company specializing in environmentally sound cleanups of the mercury inside the bulb...<snip>
...That company estimated the cleanup cost, conservatively, at $2,000. And, no, her homeowners insurance won't cover the damage.Since she could not afford the cleanup, Bridges has been forced to seal off her daughter's bedroom with plastic to avoid any dust blowing around. Not even the family pets are permitted in to the bedroom. Her daughter is forced to sleep downstairs in an overcrowded household.She has continued to call public officials for help, her two U.S. senators included. So far, no one is beating down Bridges' door to help, not even Al Gore, whose Academy Award-winning movie, "An Inconvenient Truth," urges everyone to change to CFLs to save the planet from global warming.
The complete news story of Brandy Bridges can be read http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213. Of course, her biggest mistake was reporting to authorities that the bulb broke - no good deed goes unpunished. For every Brandy Bridges, how many Granny Goodwrenches just throw them away - putting millions of mercury-laden CFL's into landfills?I will not put one more of these things into my home. None. I'm done with them. They put out a weird color light, they flicker at a rate that interferes with my vision when I'm watching television or a computer monitor, and I especially resent some demagogue telling me that I MUST put them into my home.LED bulb technology is improving from the expensive, crummy ones that were first available. Like all other high tech products, the prices of LED bulbs will drop soon, and very quickly.

A friend of ours owns a commercial lighting business and is getting us the lighting for our kitchen (we're doing mostly under-cabinet). There is LED lighting available for those types of applications, and as much as we'd love to go that way, they're 3 times the cost of the Xenon (which uses less energy and puts out less heat compared to comparable halogen bulbs).I don't mind the CFLs, except in applications where the bulb is visible. My fixture in the dining room has clear glass shades. They'll look really dumb with CFLs in them. Same for the main room lighting in the living room - I have wall sconces and the tips of the bulbs peek out the tops of the fixtures.Guess I better stock up on other bulbs when I'm at Target this week.

Another unanswered question: What am I supposed to put into my 3-Way lamps?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh - oh, if you find the answer PLEASE let me know!!!! I've been wondering that one!I guess that would be classified as a "burning" question.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: CFL MercuryIf you're electric comes from a coal powered energy plant, you're emitting more mercury with an incandescent. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/06/what_about_merc.phpSometimes these things aren't always cut and dry... like computer recycling. The recycling process is quite toxic if not done right and well, with outsourcing it's often not done safely nor cleanly... so much for good intentions. Really the best bet regardless of the bulb is when not in use, turn it off. Or as is said around here 'outten the lights nah vunst'.

Yeah- we have that problem right now, too. It's not much of a problem because the lamp itself has other issues so we can't use it. (DH hasn't gotten around to rewiring it.) But the lamp near Beaker's cage has a 3-way fixture and a CFL. We just turn the knob twice to turn it on, and twice to turn it off. We're actually considering replacing that bulb with a full-spectrum unit like an Ott light, though.

On the lightbulb topic, we sell a LOT of bulbs here (for aquarium tanks and other similar applications - we have a "BULB" department). Anyway, broken bulbs are a pain in the "you know what"!!!!Luckily it isn't that common - we take GREAT care in handling and packaging...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000STB0HK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GBBUF2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Ah, they do have them out now...hmm...

There are also dimmable cfls made now too... these and 3 ways weren't available when cfls first hit the market. http://www.thegreenguide.com/blog/freshfinds/340

chefann said:
A friend of ours owns a commercial lighting business and is getting us the lighting for our kitchen (we're doing mostly under-cabinet). There is LED lighting available for those types of applications, and as much as we'd love to go that way, they're 3 times the cost of the Xenon (which uses less energy and puts out less heat compared to comparable halogen bulbs).

I don't mind the CFLs, except in applications where the bulb is visible. My fixture in the dining room has clear glass shades. They'll look really dumb with CFLs in them. Same for the main room lighting in the living room - I have wall sconces and the tips of the bulbs peek out the tops of the fixtures.

Guess I better stock up on other bulbs when I'm at Target this week.

DH and I just had this conversation last night! What do we do with the lights that require decorative bulbs? We now have CFL's in our bathroom fixtures, and a couple other lamps.....but we have some similar to yours Ann, plus some track lighting that uses small spots, and would look silly with curly lights.

IMHO, we are getting FAR away from being a FREE country when the government can tell me what kind of light bulb to use in MY house! This is a major pet peeve with me. Also, I should be able to choose whether or not to wear a seat belt in MY car too. I know it is safety and I wear them religiously but it is my choice to do so!

I will move on before my blood pressure rises talking about this :grumpy: ..........

chefann said:
A friend of ours owns a commercial lighting business and is getting us the lighting for our kitchen (we're doing mostly under-cabinet). There is LED lighting available for those types of applications, and as much as we'd love to go that way, they're 3 times the cost of the Xenon (which uses less energy and puts out less heat compared to comparable halogen bulbs).

I don't mind the CFLs, except in applications where the bulb is visible. My fixture in the dining room has clear glass shades. They'll look really dumb with CFLs in them. Same for the main room lighting in the living room - I have wall sconces and the tips of the bulbs peek out the tops of the fixtures.

Guess I better stock up on other bulbs when I'm at Target this week.

They make nice looking cfls now too..

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2903282

Actually here's a good link with a variety of cfls available:
Energy-Efficient Lighting

Scroll down and there's pictures of what each look like. They've come along way from the 'pigtail' only design.

I'll be willing to experiment with LED bulbs not sure though right now at $40 a pop... may try one next time we have a blow out ... at least they're becoming more readily available. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100396466&N=10000003+90401+501450

This is so typical of the crisis du decade. The do-gooders tell us, oh, don't worry, this is so much better for us. It'll be good in the long run. Every decade has its sacred cow and skeptics are all reviled as terrible, awful people. In the end, the sacred cow turns out to have not been so sacred, but the skeptics never get their due apologies, either.Like in the 1950's, the doomsdayers were all on us about DDT and successfully banned DDT usage around the world. The result was that mosquito population went out of control and still today, malaria runs rampant, but by golly, there's no DDT anymore.In the 1960's, it was overpopulation, if we didn't limit our reproduction, we were all going to starve ourselves to death. Of course, if that didn't get us, were were all going to freeze to death in the coming ice age. In the 1970's, the do-gooders went on a campaign to save the trees and successfully introduced plastic grocery bags that would save the environment by putting less brown paper into landfills. Many of us said they were nuts, but we got hushed up and soon there were plastic bags stuck in every fence and hanging from every tree branch. Now we're being told that trees are a renewable resource (Hello? That's what we told you in the '70s!) and plastic bags are filling up landfills and aren't biodegradable. Plastic shopping bags are banned in San Francisco and the ban is headed your way.In the 1980's, it was acid rain and we were killing ourselves. When acid rain turned out to be a natural phenomenon, the doomsday predictions suddenly got quiet and it all went away. (You will still get a nut here or there that didn't get the word and is still on the acid rain bandwagon, but not many, and most environmentalists have all distanced themselves from the discussion.) The ethanol push began in the 1980's, ethanol was going to save us. Now we know that ethanol is awful stuff, not only is it not saving us but it is worse than any of us even thought. The do-gooders are quietly walking away from ethanol, too, although no one seems to be able to stop that runaway train, either. (Construction of an ethanol plant was just halted in Nebraska, so maybe there's hope.)In about 20 years, some scientist is suddenly going to pop up with a study that says CFL's are terrible things and we never should have pushed them so hard - you heard it here first.Don't misinterpret this - I don't want to breathe dirty air and I don't want to drink polluted water, either. But I also do not see the need to toss the baby out with the bathwater.Oh, BTW, if you haven't heard, this is the coldest winter in the Northern Hemisphere since 1966. Many communities have record amounts of snowfall and many others are rapidly approaching record totals. The polar ice caps are getting thicker. As for coal, talk to the Chinese, where coal fired plants are going online every day. Do you think they have the pollution controls there that the United States does?Power Plant Emissions Get Cleaner02/11/2008
Ohio Valley residents can breathe easier, according to American Electric Power’s Wayne Irons, since emissions controls were installed at the company’s Mitchell Power Plant a year ago.The Mitchell plant installed its first sulfur dioxide-catching scrubber about one year ago and added a second last April, plant manager Irons said. And he is pleased with their performance.“We are making better than designed capture,” he said. “We are at about 98 percent capture of SO2.”Source: Friends of Coal

In conclusion, we are going to self-destruct......and we wonder why all other countries are moving leaps and bounds ahead of us...We are our own worst enemies...

Of course, all of this is only important for humanity's survival on the planet. When you consider that we're parasites and other species should be dominant, then all that's happening is that things are balancing themselves out again.

BTW, Lisa, I just added a Berks County bridge to the database - someone from New Jersey took photos as they drove through but didn't post them, so I did.It's of the bridge at Dreibelbis Station on the Bridge Hunter website.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
BTW, Lisa, I just added a Berks County bridge to the database - someone from New Jersey took photos as they drove through but didn't post them, so I did.

It's of the bridge at Dreibelbis Station on the Bridge Hunter website.

Kewl! We've got some spiffy things in our county, historically and interestingly too. Not many covered bridges are open yet... neat site, a couple others with pics too. Don't know that I've been by this one though... probably in the neighborhood a few times (it's easy to be in the neighborhood around here and never know it - in PA you can't get there from here, yanno.. LOL).... I'll give you extra credit too if you can pronounce the name correctly. :p

chefann said:
Of course, all of this is only important for humanity's survival on the planet. When you consider that we're parasites and other species should be dominant, then all that's happening is that things are balancing themselves out again.

Yup... there was a great show on.... History Channel I think it was. It didn't debate HOW humans would... leave/diminish/no longer be on Earth but went through the changes the planet would go through without us. They used not only scientific foretelling but also used instances like what happened to the area surrounding Chernobyl to figure how an area abandoned would basically heal over. How farm animals and domestics would fair... how trees and wilds would 'invade' our cities... reminds me of one of my fav Talking Heads songs "Nothing but Flowers"...

lkprescott said:
Kewl! We've got some spiffy things in our county, historically and interestingly too. Not many covered bridges are open yet... neat site, a couple others with pics too. Don't know that I've been by this one though... probably in the neighborhood a few times (it's easy to be in the neighborhood around here and never know it - in PA you can't get there from here, yanno.. LOL).... I'll give you extra credit too if you can pronounce the name correctly. :p
I'm lucky I can spell it. There are probably more covered bridges in PA than anywhere but Madison County, Iowa had a better press agent.

If it's like everything else in Pennsylvania, Dreibelbis is probably pronounced "Magillacuddy."

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm lucky I can spell it. There are probably more covered bridges in PA than anywhere but Madison County, Iowa had a better press agent.

If it's like everything else in Pennsylvania, Dreibelbis is probably pronounced "Magillacuddy."

Close... well, dribbleglass is closer... though not quite... dribblebus but don't enunciate. LOL...

There are quite a few and well, PA is a big state and no one wrote a romantic novel about us, you're right. LOL... although I've always thought the underground coal fires of Centralia would make an exciting backdrop for a movie at least. LOL... though we do get in the movies a bit... Signs as filmed in Bucks County I think it was... and Trading Places was filmed in Philly (Rocky woulda been too obvious)..

1. What are the recommended clean-up steps for hard surfaces if a fluorescent light bulb breaks?

The recommended steps for cleaning up a broken fluorescent light bulb on hard surfaces are to carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a sealed container, use sticky tape to pick up any remaining small fragments, and wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. It is important not to use a vacuum or broom for clean-up on hard surfaces.

2. What are the clean-up steps for carpeting or rugs if a fluorescent light bulb breaks?

If a fluorescent light bulb breaks on carpeting or rugs, the recommended steps are to carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a sealed container, use sticky tape to pick up any remaining small fragments, and if necessary, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken. After vacuuming, it is important to remove and dispose of the vacuum bag or empty and wipe the canister in a sealed container.

3. How should I dispose of clean-up materials after a fluorescent light bulb breaks?

All clean-up materials should be immediately placed outside in a sealed container for normal trash disposal. It is also recommended to wash your hands after disposing of the materials. Check with your local or state government for specific disposal requirements, as some areas may require broken bulbs to be taken to a recycling center.

4. Is it safe to continue using a vacuum after cleaning up a broken fluorescent light bulb?

Yes, it is safe to continue using a vacuum after cleaning up a broken fluorescent light bulb. However, it is recommended to shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window before vacuuming. It is also recommended to keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

5. Can I throw a broken fluorescent light bulb in the trash?

Some states prohibit the disposal of broken fluorescent light bulbs in regular trash and require them to be taken to a local recycling center. It is important to check with your local or state government for specific disposal requirements. In general, it is recommended to dispose of broken fluorescent light bulbs in a sealed container to prevent the release of mercury into the environment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gilliandanielle
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Braedensmom
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • DebPC
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies