• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Would You Serve With Chili?

In summary, the conversation is about planning a birthday party for someone's husband on October 11th with a guest list of 75-100 people. The party will be held at the Large Conference/Training Room at the husband's workplace, which has a full kitchen attached. The host has decided to make White Chicken Chili and Tomato-based Chili as the main dishes, along with bowls of Tortilla Chips and various toppings. Other suggestions for food include serving the chili over macaroni or corn, a veggie tray, green salad, hot dogs, grilled cheese, veggie pizzas, or a veggie and cheese tray. The host also plans to serve lemonade, water, and coffee for drinks. Ice cream sundaes and cornbread
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I'm having a Birthday party for my DH on Oct 11th, and the guest list is between 75-100 people.:eek:

Wonderfully, his boss has said that we can use the Large Conference/Training Room at their Corporate Headquarters. (they have 4 different campuses w/ smaller rooms) and it has a full kitchen attached to it.

I've been trying to figure out what I would do for food that would be simple, budget friendly, but still delicious. This morning - in the wee hours - I finally decided to do Chili.

I have the best recipe for White Chicken Chili, and then I'll also do a Tomato-based Chili. We are also having Costco Birthday Cake (YUM!)

I thought I'd have bowls of Tortilla Chips, and chili toppings - cheese, sour cream, onions.

What else would you serve with Chili? Appetizers? a veggie tray? Some other type of sweet?

Oh - we are doing lemonade, water, and coffee for the drinks.

I like chili served over macaroni, so a pot of that wouldn't be uncalled for (and would help stretch the chili, too). Actually, I like corn stirred into my tomato-based chili, too. And sour cream. And cheese. (but you've already got those 2 on your list)Veggie tray would be a good choice, and not too hard to put together.
How about a simple green salad? Then people can pour chili onto it to make taco salad.

Hmmm, my first thought is always hot dogs with chili, but that probably doesn't fit the 'delicious' part... lol! My other fav with chili is grilled cheese, but again... ;)

Maybe a relish tray of some sort? Or a pot of macaroni noodles... I'm not helping much, I don't think.

Maybe you can do some veggie pizza's or a veggie and cheese tray?
I usually don't serve anything else w/ chili...

chefann said:
I like chili served over macaroni, so a pot of that wouldn't be uncalled for (and would help stretch the chili, too). Actually, I like corn stirred into my tomato-based chili, too. And sour cream. And cheese. (but you've already got those 2 on your list)

Veggie tray would be a good choice, and not too hard to put together.
How about a simple green salad? Then people can pour chili onto it to make taco salad.

Great ideas! Thanks Ann! I love both of those!

crystalscookingnow said:
Hmmm, my first thought is always hot dogs with chili, but that probably doesn't fit the 'delicious' part... lol! My other fav with chili is grilled cheese, but again... ;)

Maybe a relish tray of some sort? Or a pot of macaroni noodles... I'm not helping much, I don't think.

That is SO funny, my first thought was hot dogs too!

I like the salad idea too

chefsteph07 said:
Maybe you can do some veggie pizza's or a veggie and cheese tray?
I usually don't serve anything else w/ chili...

I wouldn't at home either...but I was thinking for this Momentous Occasion (did I mention it's his 50th Birthday?:D) I was thinking I should make it a little more special.

Down here in the south (and yes, NORTH Florida is considered by most to be "the South"), a big pan (PC Roasting pan, maybe?) of corn bread cut into squares would be considered a wonderful accompaniment to either kind of chili. And it need not be served hot; room temperature would be fine IMHO.​

a veggie tray
cheese cubes assorted crackershow about ice cream sundaes

LeslieSGI said:
Down here in the south (and yes, NORTH Florida is considered by most to be "the South"), a big pan (PC Roasting pan, maybe?) of corn bread cut into squares would be considered a wonderful accompaniment to either kind of chili. And it need not be served hot; room temperature would be fine IMHO.​

Oh wow! Why didn't I think of that? I love cornbread with chili!

fritos would also be good

Great ideas here, I think any of them would be acceptable!
Best wishes to your hubby! Does he know about the party or is it a surprise?

chefsteph07 said:
Great ideas here, I think any of them would be acceptable!
Best wishes to your hubby! Does he know about the party or is it a surprise?

He knows. He's the one who wanted a big party!:rolleyes:

Plus, I decided it probably wouldn't be possible to keep a secret, since I have a 4 yr old with me all the time who repeats everything he hears.

When I saw the thread, my first thought was cornbread. Then when I saw that Ann puts noodles under hers, it made me think of chili baked potatoes. Now I'm craving Wendy's for lunch! :)

My first thought was cornbread too---it would go a long way!

You could also offer perhaps a salad

CORN BREAD!!!!
I've made this recipe in the DDB and it comes out great!Golden Sweet Cornbread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

I have to agree, cornbread!!
And lots and lots of cheese to go on top!!

Yummm.... I think I just decided what I'm having for lunch today!

Growing up, we always had rice with chili - it's cheap and easy to make lotsd of, and could be done ahead and re-heated. But maybe it's an english thing...

Corn bread and salad also sound good, and a veggie tray and dip.

Personally macaroni and chili just sounds wierd!!

When I lived in Hawaii I ate Chili over rice a lot (they eat rice with everything in Hawaii!)

Hey Annie, looks like you type just a little faster than me!

I like all the ideas so far...except the rice...never tried that one yet...I didn't have chili over noodles with SC and cheese until I moved up north.Also, how about Oyster Snack Crackers on the side...Oyster Snack Crackers2 pkg. Oyster crackers
1 cup vegetable oil
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
1 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp. onion powder or salt OR ½ tsp. garlic powder or saltMix last four ingredients and pour on crackers – shake or stir once every 15 minutes for about an hour then serve.

I didn't read all the responses, yet, but I like to serve garlic bread or bread sticks with chili. I'm not a big fan of garlic bread with spaghetti because who needs that much starch in one meal? KWIM? But, my family likes garlic bread, so I save it for chili night, which is quite often in the fall and winter.

I also like to have corn and toss salad (dark lettuces) with chili.

And for dessert? Well, chocolate, of course!

I think cornbread would be super. You can even make that ahead and freeze it...you can do cornbread muffins, or mini muffins to "upscale" the look of it!

I think a salad or a veggie tray along with the cornbread would really round out the dinner. Good idea on the tortilla chips, and I agree with whoever mentioned FRITOS!! I have even seen cookouts where they bought snack bags of Fritos, you smash them and open the top of the bag...add chili, cheese and toppings and mix and eat out of the bag! Not that your party sounds like THAT would be a good idea, but talking about this reminded me of that idea!

(BTW-DH and I love chili and rice too!)

Teresa Lynn said:
fritos would also be good

Fritos was the only thing that came to my mind!!

Trina

Cornbread is my vote....

1 box of Jiffy Corn bread mix
1 box of Jiffy yellow cake mix
Ingredients (from back of boxes) to complest both recipes
dump everything in a bowl, mix it up
pour into greased square baker
bake 20 minutes (or so)

Yum!

Oh, yes, I love cornbread. I never think to make it, though.

Cornbread definitely! :) Also, I like eating chili over rice. We should take a poll on rice vs. noodles so we can see if it's a geographic location thing. I had never heard of eating chili over noodles before. I grew up in New Jersey. Lived in Utah for a couple years, then Iowa, then Kentucky. And boy, I've seen some differences, but hadn't come across this one yet. ;)

babywings76 said:
Cornbread definitely! :) Also, I like eating chili over rice. We should take a poll on rice vs. noodles so we can see if it's a geographic location thing. I had never heard of eating chili over noodles before. I grew up in New Jersey. Lived in Utah for a couple years, then Iowa, then Kentucky. And boy, I've seen some differences, but hadn't come across this one yet. ;)
Eeew! No offense, but both sound gross to me. I have eaten chili over salad and sometimes with Ranch dressing. Love it! It was a salad choice at Logan's and I started doing it at home, too. I've also seen chili over a baked potato. But rice or noodles. Ick! (Sorry, that does sound a bit like my children complaining about dinner.)

Cornbread! Martha White's Cotton Pickin Cornbread to be exact. I never heard of chili over rice or noodles either. lf no cornbread I do crackers. :) My dad crumbles up the crackers & mixes them in w/his chili.

JAE said:
Eeew! No offense, but both sound gross to me. I have eaten chili over salad and sometimes with Ranch dressing. Love it! It was a salad choice at Logan's and I started doing it at home, too. I've also seen chili over a baked potato. But rice or noodles. Ick! (Sorry, that does sound a bit like my children complaining about dinner.)

So I guess I should say what a typical mom would say, "Did you even try it? You can't say it's icky unless you try it!" :D

Actually, I didn't grow up eating chili over rice. But when I was living in Iowa, a friend gave me a vegetarian chili recipe. It suggested serving it over rice. It was sooo good. :love: Now it was a little sweeter than regular chili because it had corn in it and some other things (I can't remember everything right now). But since then I like to have it over rice if I need to stretch it out. Or I crumble up tortilla chips on it.

How about the bread bowls I mentioned earlier? Turn a muffin pan upside down and put the grands biscuits over the hill part of the muffin pan and you have bowls with only one ingrdient!! I like Veggie trays with chili and ranch dressing for those who need to cut a little heat... Also this may sound odd but buttered crackers are fabulous with chili!! Then you can make pb&j and grilled cheese! Comfort and yummy food!
Of course the cornbread too though!!!

Chili Mac is huge around here. If you have a steak 'n shake, that's one of their main chili ways. They serve it with spaghetti noodles, but I always make it with elbow macaroni.

Corn bread, or beer bread would be my vote.
A nice crisp salad would be yummy and would serve a lot!
Good luck!

I too make rice with chili... yellow rice preferably.... with cornbread and a crisp salad.

My first thought was like many of the others - cornbread!!

I never had chili over noodles until I met my DH. Have to admit that I didn't care for it. now cheese and sour cream? Mmmmmm!

babywings76 said:

I'm from the southwest and grew up with Chili and Rice. Mexican rice, we call it orange rice but the kind you'd get at a mexican restaurant. I never heard of putting chili on pasta until I went to Hawaii. And then again when I moved to Las Vegas. There are a lot of Hawaiians in Vegas.

babywings76 said:
So I guess I should say what a typical mom would say, "Did you even try it? You can't say it's icky unless you try it!" :D

Actually, I didn't grow up eating chili over rice. But when I was living in Iowa, a friend gave me a vegetarian chili recipe. It suggested serving it over rice. It was sooo good. :love: Now it was a little sweeter than regular chili because it had corn in it and some other things (I can't remember everything right now). But since then I like to have it over rice if I need to stretch it out. Or I crumble up tortilla chips on it.
I would love the vegetarian recipe, but I don't care for rice. I'll be skipping that part.

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm having a Birthday party for my DH on Oct 11th, and the guest list is between 75-100 people.:eek:

Wonderfully, his boss has said that we can use the Large Conference/Training Room at their Corporate Headquarters. (they have 4 different campuses w/ smaller rooms) and it has a full kitchen attached to it.

I've been trying to figure out what I would do for food that would be simple, budget friendly, but still delicious. This morning - in the wee hours - I finally decided to do Chili.

I have the best recipe for White Chicken Chili, and then I'll also do a Tomato-based Chili. We are also having Costco Birthday Cake (YUM!)

I thought I'd have bowls of Tortilla Chips, and chili toppings - cheese, sour cream, onions.

What else would you serve with Chili? Appetizers? a veggie tray? Some other type of sweet?

Oh - we are doing lemonade, water, and coffee for the drinks.

I serve Chili with home made corn spoon bread- :) or just corn bread. Veggies are always nice- but I would maybe have an assortment of breads or biscuits to go with it, as well as some ice cream for dessert! :)

We do chili and spaghetti at my house and sometimes I will make our beer bread to crumble in it.

White chicken chili with a big piece of yummy garlic bread....just like at Ruby Tuesday! Red chili a say with rice....

etteluap70PC said:
Cornbread is my vote....

1 box of Jiffy Corn bread mix
1 box of Jiffy yellow cake mix
Ingredients (from back of boxes) to complest both recipes
dump everything in a bowl, mix it up
pour into greased square baker
bake 20 minutes (or so)

Yum!

at what temp do you cook it at, 350?

yup... somethignlike that... I just wing it!

Laura420 said:
at what temp do you cook it at, 350?

Yup!

I have tried home made from the recipe on the cornmeal box and boxed recipes, they are always too dry for me. I love this recipe and it is just a bit sweet!

It's kinda weird.....around here cinnamon rolls are always served with chili!

lacychef said:
It's kinda weird.....around here cinnamon rolls are always served with chili!

Okay - you're right, that one is weird!

Thanks for the idea Lacy - but it's not in my top 10!:p

LOL I thought the same thing but didn't want to say it! But yes something extremely sweet doesn't seem to go with chili!

my in-law's always have dill pickles with their chili. always. they lay them on the side of the bowl & eat a bite of pickle after each bite of chili.

We got hooked on chili served over spaghetti noodles when we lived in NoVa - there was an all chili restaurant....so good. We love it that way with grated cheese, sour cream and chopped onion. I like the spaghetti noodles better than macaroni. Don't knock it till you've tried it! Noodles for 75 people tho, might be a hard thing to do! I vote for cornbread too or fritos.

You could also make a big bowl of Redneck Caviar (Two batches fits in the Collapsible Bowl, maybe even three, I've just never done 3 at once!) and everybody always wants the recipe!!

1 can black beans, drained
1 can black eyed peas, drained
1 can white corn, no need to drain
1 can petite diced tomatoes, no need to drain
1 8oz Zesty Italian Wish Bone Salad Dressing (only Wish Bone)
1 bunch cilantro - chopped

Mix all together. The juices from the corn and tomatoes - with the dressing add to the flavor, so let marinade for at least a couple hours, then drain. Serve with Fritos or Tostito Scoops...or like me, just dig in with a spoon!

Last edited:
what kind (flavor) of Wish Bone dressing?

oops! Zesty Italian - edited above!

<h2>1. What are some good side dishes to serve with chili for a large party?</h2><p>Some great side dishes to serve with chili for a large party include cornbread, rice, mac and cheese, coleslaw, and a green salad.</p><h2>2. Are there any vegetarian options to serve with chili?</h2><p>Yes, you can offer vegetarian chili as an option for your guests. You can also serve a variety of toppings such as avocado, diced tomatoes, and black beans for those who do not eat meat.</p><h2>3. Should I offer appetizers to go along with the chili?</h2><p>It's always a good idea to have some appetizers available for guests to munch on before the main meal. Some great options to serve with chili include chips and salsa, a veggie tray, or a cheese and cracker platter.</p><h2>4. What are some budget-friendly options to serve with chili?</h2><p>In addition to the chili itself, some budget-friendly options to serve with chili include tortilla chips, crackers, and toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, and onions. You can also consider making your own cornbread or rice instead of buying pre-made options.</p><h2>5. What type of drinks should I offer with the chili?</h2><p>Lemonade, water, and coffee are great drink options to offer with chili. You can also consider serving iced tea or soda as well. Be sure to have a variety of options available for your guests.</p>

1. What are some good side dishes to serve with chili for a large party?

Some great side dishes to serve with chili for a large party include cornbread, rice, mac and cheese, coleslaw, and a green salad.

2. Are there any vegetarian options to serve with chili?

Yes, you can offer vegetarian chili as an option for your guests. You can also serve a variety of toppings such as avocado, diced tomatoes, and black beans for those who do not eat meat.

3. Should I offer appetizers to go along with the chili?

It's always a good idea to have some appetizers available for guests to munch on before the main meal. Some great options to serve with chili include chips and salsa, a veggie tray, or a cheese and cracker platter.

4. What are some budget-friendly options to serve with chili?

In addition to the chili itself, some budget-friendly options to serve with chili include tortilla chips, crackers, and toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, and onions. You can also consider making your own cornbread or rice instead of buying pre-made options.

5. What type of drinks should I offer with the chili?

Lemonade, water, and coffee are great drink options to offer with chili. You can also consider serving iced tea or soda as well. Be sure to have a variety of options available for your guests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • scottcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies