• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Juggling Cooking Shows & an Injured Ankle: What Would You Do?

In summary, Monica has a lot on her plate with a fundraiser and two shows coming up. She has injured her ankle and is not able to drive. She has two cluster members who she can ask to help, but is worried about giving one of the shows away. She has a lot of thoughts about how to compensate her cluster member and how to organize her shows.
its_me_susan
Aghhh... this is my 1st jam-packed month... I have a fundraiser cooking show Wednesday, a BIG show (the host asked for at least 50 invitations) on Friday... Two cooking shows the 3rd week and one at the end of the month.

The delemma? I tore ligaments in my ankle on Monday, was on crutches for a bit, then decided I will keep using it in brace (be brave and it will heal faster... I had surgery on this ankle when I was 17).... *sigh*. Can't drive, so bored so I cooked.... all day (lots of special April Fool's meals and dinner for 7 yesterday, dinner for 6 tonight)... and my ankle hurts a little more today.

I really need to go see the dr, Monday if he can squeeze me in. Not sure what to do about my Wed & Friday shows!!! My Aunt says she will come over Wednesday and help me pack and set up for fundraiser (but not stay & reload car)... I won't be able to lift quite enough. *sigh*

What would you do?

is there anybody else (consultant) that would be wiling to help or a family member you could recruit for a night/day? or maybe explain to the host and see if they will help load/unload your car???

monica_sweetconsultant said:
is there anybody else (consultant) that would be wiling to help or a family member you could recruit for a night/day? or maybe explain to the host and see if they will help load/unload your car???

Monica, I've thought about having another on my team help or do it, but then I would have to give the show to her.... I don't want to give this fundraiser away (I'm giving away commission as my kids both graduated fromthis wonderful preschool).... What do you think would be a fair way to compensate her?

The Friday party will likely be late.

*sigh* Do you think I should call the hosts this late in the game to see if we can reschedule for that last week? I would be better by then - oh how I dread broaching the subject. Should I make the call and share the news Monday?

Has anyone had a BIG show and/or a fundraiser (that pulls your own heart strings) that suddenly you thought you couldn't do? I think the fundraiser could be done when we were going to close near the end of the month - - has anyone ever done a "kick off" to a fundraiser at the end?

So much to think about.... (thank you for responding)

That's a tough deal! I think people are generally very understanding though. If you can get maybe one person to drop you off and another to pick you up that may help. Not sure what you were planning on doing for your show but maybe ask for a lot of audience participation. Do you have anyone who is thinking about the opportunity? This would be a good chance for them to see how they like it and you could maybe give them something for helping out. Maybe just pare down your shows? I'd say if you're going to have to reschedule to do it sooner rather than later. Have you found out yet how many people are expected at each event?

You could ask a cluster member to go with you to the party to help you out. You would still be doing the work, but she/he would be assisting you. Are there any teenagers in your neighborhood that might like a few extra dollars or movie tickets? Ask, Ask, and ask some more!!

Call your hostDo not put it off. Just do it. But tell her the situation and explain that the only problem you have is unloading and reloading your products into your containers and car. I am sure they will be more than happy to help out some how. I was out of commission for two months and gave up three shows. One I know would have been at least $1000. So I know what you mean about giving up a great show. Even if you are giving away your commission, it hurts.
What I did, because I still am not allowed to be on my feet long but needed to keep going, was simply asked the host if someone could help me out. (I have not been released from my doctor and won't be until the 8th but I did two shows last month in which my brother was able to help me out and this past weekend I had two shows. And it was Not a problem.) Saturday I had 4 ladies help me bring stuff in to the house and unpacking and then had several help pack it up and take stuff back out. Similar on Sunday. I almost forgot, I gave each a Season's Best and Quikut on their orders. $8 and I did none of the lifting or carting.
Just ask!

Last edited:
Susan I'm sorry about your ankle.. Ouch** but I would say go. As the previous posts say, I'm sure someone will help you unload your car. Ifyou can get to and back from the show, then go for it! Let them see how easy selling PC can be, even if you arent able to get around that great! Even if you were seated the whole demonstration, I'm sure I'd be an understanding person, so I'm sure others would be understanding as well. If its a fundraiser, then people are there to help out plus PC sells itself anyway! Maybe if you prepared the food ahead of time and just did demos of the products it would be easier on you?

I wish you luck, but I know you'll find a way! Good luck w/the dr. :)

Don't put it off....I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle. But as the saying goes, you won't know until you ask.

Tell the host your situation, people tend to be understanding and VERY helpful when they know. It would be harder to reschedule and get the attendees all on the same day, then to help you load up your car.

You will work it out and if they know that your are temporarily "limited" they will be more than HAPPY to help you out. ;)

Give away a prize for the folks that help you with your stuff.....

You can do it....as far as the show itself, find out if the space accomodates a stool, you can give your ankle a breather inbetween.....;)

I wouldn't hesitate either to ask your cluster if anyone can pitch in some time too.....you shouldn't have to "give away the farm" because one of them helps you.....toss them a "if I get 2 bookings, I'll give you one" maybe, if they are so inclined to want something in return.....

I think that out of my cluster, they would rally to help me out...and I'm sure your folks would be the same way, but you have to ASK the question.....

Much success to you.....:D :)

Susan, Where are you located? Maybe someone, like a new consultant that needs some training could help you out. Let me know, I am in RI.

Lynn

Good Idea LynnThat too, a new consultant who would like to view a show, would be perfect, they can drive and get the experience of setting up a show, etc.....

I know I wouldn't mind....by the way WHERE are you in New England?

Heck....:D The more I think about it, if your in my area, I'd be GLAD to pitch in and help out....nothing in return, I could use the experience to view a show too......

Let me know and I have a few shows in April, but let's see what the schedule is if we are close enough to each other......

Kelley

I agree... if you can get a ride there & back go, but definately ask for help. And audience participation helps a lot anyway so have them all help a LOT!!!

How many people are attending the kitchen show? If not a lot, tell host your dilemma, she may surprise you and offer to postpone. If a lot, I'd grin & bear it and again ask for help. Kelley had a great idea about offering a lead. I'd be interested in that! Good one Kell!

Shari

1. How did you injure your ankle while working as a Pampered Chef consultant?

I injured my ankle while setting up for a cooking show at a client's home. I tripped over a step and landed awkwardly, causing a sprained ankle.

2. How did you continue to work as a Pampered Chef consultant with an injured ankle?

I had to make some adjustments, but I was able to continue working. I used a knee scooter to move around during cooking shows and demos, and I also asked for help from my team members and clients when needed.

3. Did your injury affect your ability to perform cooking demonstrations?

Yes, it did. I had to modify some of the recipes and use simpler techniques that did not require a lot of standing or movement. I also had to take breaks during the show to rest my ankle.

4. How did you handle the physical demands of setting up and packing up for cooking shows with an injured ankle?

I had to be very careful and take my time while setting up and packing up. I also asked for help from my team members or the host of the cooking show. I made sure to communicate my injury to everyone involved and they were very understanding and willing to lend a hand.

5. How did you stay positive and motivated during this challenging time?

It was definitely a difficult and frustrating experience, but I focused on the fact that I love my job and I didn't want my injury to stop me from doing what I love. I also received a lot of support and encouragement from my team and clients, which helped me stay positive and motivated.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas