• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Wear to a Kitchen Show?

In summary, Shannon Overstreet usually wears jeans and a nice shirt to Kitchen shows. She advises dressing to the level you want to become, and advises against wearing jeans.
Stacys
Okay, so I am new to all of this, but I have a question. What do you all usually wear to a Kitchen show? I have my first "show" on March 4th. This is in my home and my mom is the co-host. I realize we get an apron in our starter kit, but I was just courious what you guys wear?

I ususally do business casual. Winter I ususally wear black slacks and a nice top, summer I wear capri pants. I don't wear jeans. Overall, I want people to have fun, and give the image that I am also having fun (which I am) so I don't dress too seriousely.

I wear what I am most comfortable in. Usually jeans and a really cute shirt that I bought (it has cooking utensils on it) I have bad feet, so I ALWAYS wear tennis shoes.

I have a bridal show this weekend, and I will probably wear khakis for that, but I don't really dress up.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet

i usually go in jeans and a nice shirt. my thing is this...when you cook dinner for your family do you go and change into dress clothes? when i do a show, i want everyone to see how simple it is...like cooking in your own kitchen. if someone that hates to dress up sees you in dress clothes it may turn them off to signing. but it works both ways as well. i would kind of see how your host feel about it and go from there. and also what makes you the most comfortable. you are the one lugging all the stuff around (which would be really hard on a rainy cold day in dress shoes!), standing for at least 2 hours doing a demo, and then lugging everything out again. i definately choose comfort!

I wear jeans and a dressy top usually. I just wear what I feel comfortable in and taylor it to the vibe I get from my host. I don't want my customers to feel underdressed or out of place. If I feel that jeans aren't appropriate, then I wear khakis or dress pants. I ALWAYS wear dressy shoes even with my jeans to dress them up!

I choose not...to wear jeans. I want to portray a professional look. I wear dress pants and a PC shirt, basically business casual. I wouldn't wear a business suit or anything to that level. :eek: I don't feel overly dressed even when my customers and such are in jeans.

I do believe it is up to you and your comfort level! Make sure wear what you are comfortable in, I believe this makes you have a better demo. I find that when I know I "look good" I carry myself more confidently.

I once received advice to dress to the level you want to become. I personally do not think Doris or some of the NSED would wear jeans to their shows and I one day would love to be at their level! :D

I always wear nice pants and a shirt or sweater (winter of course). I try to wear what I guess you would call business casual. Alot of guests come straight from work to the party and I would not want to be dressed more casual than them. Comfortable shoes though. Always!

I usually wear a kacky skirt but now that I am pregnant and not fitting into the skirt Iwill probably wear jeans since I really dont want to go buy nice maternity pants since this is supposed to be the last pregnacy. I also wear a nice shirt.

Business CasualI always where black pants and a sweater or white button down shirt. We recently had a discussion on this at our cluster meeting, and they stated that poeple purchase more when you where a white (non-tshirt) shirt.

Even though this is a relaxed, easy going business I would NEVER wear jeans. I personally think it's unprofessional.

Interesting...about the white (non tshirt) shirt boosting sales.

I suppose you might look more like a waiter or a chef in a white shirt with the apron...?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that....

I wear jeans, I don't consider them unprofessional at all if they are neat and not worn looking. We have discussed this at our cluster meeting and all agree, after all the apron is denim. I wear them with nice black clogs and one of my PC shirts from aim. I have the black one with the pink sparkly logo and the pink one with darker pink logo. I wear nice jewelry. My guests have commented that they like the way I dress & they like my relaxed shows. In warmer weather I have nice jeans capris, or pink capris to wear with the black shirt.

I have to agree - the aprons are denim - so why would nice jeans matter. I wear jeans to work (at a University), to church (Sunday morning) and pretty much everywhere else. If it is a Saturday and there is a football game on TV - I wear my OU T-shirt - otherwise, I pick out something nice looking and easy to cook in. It works for me.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet

I wear jeans also, I used to get all dressed up (business casual) but the guests seem to be a little more relaxed when you are like one of them. I have had my bookings increase since then also. Remeber you host is supposed to be the spotlight not you.

I wear kaikis (sorry can't spell at the moment) and a nice shirt. I personally think kaikis look really cute with the denim apron. I want to look professional but not too professional since I am working with food.

I wear business casualsome grey or black pants with either a white or black button up top. I want to look professional but I do have fun so it's feels casual at my shows. No one seems to mind even if they are very casual dressing. It's just what you feel comfortable in I think! ;)

I had a huge formal party scheduled in December -- it was the hosts' annual wine exchange with her friends, and she's quite an upscale ta-da woman.. at the time, I was not fitting into any of my dressy casual clothes, my husband refused to let me walk out the door in jeans (granted, they did have holes in the knees! LOL :D ).. so I ended up wearing a pretty blue pantsuit.. with heels. I spent the entire party shifting my weight, as they were a pair of heels I only wear like once a year, and are quite uncomfortable after about 45 seconds of having them on. lol. After the demo, the guests realized i had them on and demanded I take them off, as they thought it ridiculous that I had worn them that day---it was mid-december and a snowstorm that night. I almost killed myself on her front steps 3 times... by the time I came home, my feet were icicles, and had bruises on them from falling on the steps. It was crazy. Besides, I felt totally out of my norm dressed like that. and the host/guests all showed up in nice jeans and sweaters. So, I felt totally out of place.. Looking back, I was really uncomfortable in that suit and heels and my demo really suffered b/c of it.

so the moral of my story -- don't wear stiletto wanna-bes in mid-december to a show on a hill in a snowstorm.. From now on, I ask the host what she feels appropriate for the show. Or wear my really dark dark jeans I just bought with a fresh ironed button-down shirt and a black sweater. No more dressing up for me!!!! :eek: :D

Last edited:
It depends...On my hostess...I get the vibe very early on...if its a dress up vibe..I wear a pair of black carpis ( okay to be honest I'm 4'9" so carpis are pants anyway..lol) with my "Help Whip Cancer" T-shirt or lately the new aqua PC shirt...and cute flip-flops (but I ALWAYS have a cute pedicure..I'm a fully pampered person..lol) and if its not...nice crisp jeans with either my Help Whip Cancer shirt or my Round Up For the Heart white V-neck shirt...and cute flip-flops...
I think that you wear what you feel comfortable in, but look presentable...it shows during the presentation if you are uncomfortable...and if in doubt, go with your instincts...above all remember whatever you wear...FEEL CONFIDENT!!!! Sometimes, you can feel overdressed or underdressed...and woman (more than men) lose some confidence...when presented with that situation... so my 2 cents....wear what makes you feel confident in yourself..and it'll show during your presentation, before and after your shows and get you those bookings/recruits!!
Cheers,
Angela

Too funny...
pchefinski said:
so the moral of my story -- don't wear stiletto wanna-bes in mid-december to a show on a hill in a snowstorm.. From now on, I ask the host what she feels appropriate for the show. Or wear my really dark dark jeans I just bought with a fresh ironed button-down shirt and a black sweater. No more dressing up for me!!!! :eek: :D

Oh, so funny! I love your moral of your story! That is a good one! :D

Great moral pchefinski!

I think as long as you are neat, clean and pulled together, it doesn't really matter. The apron will cover most of it.

The only qualifier I have to the above is the shoes (like pchefinski found out) wear comfortable, nice shoes...there will be standing involved!

Thank you all!Thanks I guess it just goes to show that this business really is make it what works for you.

I wear whatever is clean and not too wrinkled. Probably have to go naked one day.

I usually wear casual black pants with a button-down shirt. And as far as shoes - I actually take mine off when I get there so I am comfortable and not "clomping" around in uncomfortable shoes. Noone has minded and it saves my feet while making things more casual...

I usually wear a pair of khaki pants and my white or pink PC top. As for shoes, I too take mine off. I have several pairs of cute bedroom slippers, so I bring and wear whatever I'm in the mood for. :D

Lee Anne

The bedroom slippers are a new one on me, may have to try that sometime. As for my shows I wear jeans and one of my PC shirts. Like someone stated before the apron covers most of it anyways. I do believe you can come across over-dressed and that would put me in a funny position along with all the guest, because I wouldn't be as comfortable and I'm sure it would come across in my shows.

I did a show last night, it was snowing bad, boy did I wish for my slippers. My shoes had snow in them so my feet were wet and the host wanted everyone to wear their shoes. So I was stuck. But clothes I wear what looks nice but makes me comfortable. Last night I wore black slacks and a yellow polo shirt. Other times I do wear my shirt that says Pampered Chef on it. People expect us to be fun and we should be comfortable. There is nothing worse than being in a room full of people staring at you and you are wondering if "I look like a wrinkled overdressed clown."

This thread has sure been interesting to read! I believe that where you live has alot to do with what you feel is acceptable. I usually wear casual dress pants and long sleeve Old Navy cotton t-shirt (winter) and PC logo shirt in summer.

I think it really boils down to what you are comfortable in. I have done MANY shows where I am in casual dress pants and everyone is in jeans. I have never felt that I was overdressed and making others uncomfortable. (I personally feel that I need to present a professional attitude and, for me, that means no denim.) I love to have fun and laugh at my shows, if I am happy and comfortable in what I wear then I do a better show and my guests go home happy.

One thing I did hear at a training meeting was to never wear sandals/flip flops or sleeveless tops to a show. "No one wants to see armpits or toes while their food is being prepared." :)

In the summer, I will be wearing sandals and sporting beautifully painted little piggys...the armpits though....I'm going to have to agree with (at least the image in my head).

I've heard...mixed ideas from local PC consultants on what to wear and I have to agree with those that go with the vibe of the host. I would think its really important to make sure they are comfortable with how you look to their friends and maybe family. You are a reflection of the people your host assosiates with so you want to show her you respect her wishes and expectations. With that being said, I think it would all depend for me...if I felt she would be fine with me wearing jeans, I would wear my nicest pair of jeans. I am super tall (5'11) so my wardrobe is limited to what I can find in my inseam! Most all of my pants are from the Gap since they are the only store I've found that makes the cuts and sizes I need. So most of my pants/jeans are nice looking. I also think a very important part of dressing is how your hair is kept. I keep mine at the minimum in a ponytail and smoothed back. The worst thing as a guest I would think is seeing someone make my food with their hair down. I guess because I used to work in a restaurant...I don't know. Just my 2 cents!

~Kristen :p

I was wondering about the hair thing... I have long hair, and wondered what to do with it. I hate having all of my hair pulled back because I don't have the best profile. Do you all wear your hair up? I think I am going to have to cut in some bangs. The husband says I look like a teeny bopper with bangs.. lol

Emma :p

Just remember...
LindaK said:
In the summer, I will be wearing sandals and sporting beautifully painted little piggys...the armpits though....I'm going to have to agree with (at least the image in my head).

in the summer to pack a cute pair of socks in your bag if you have to take your sandals off. I love to wear my sandals in the summer, but I have learned that I feel weird walking around bare footed when I have to remove my socks. So, I always have a cute pair in my bag! :D

Armpits...cover them babies up! Who wants to see your armpits when your cooking! :eek:

And for the hair...you need to wear it up and away from your face if you have long hair! If you like to wear your hair down, wear it down to the show and do your normal intro..introductions etc...then tell everyone you are going to wash your hands and pull your hair in a ponytail. Just a thought!

Until mid-January, I had long hair. I'd do my introduction and have everyone else do their introductions, then while they passed around folders and pens, I'd comment "When I cook at home, I usually have my hair down. The kids know it's homeade if they find hair in the food. But for this show, I better pull it back! (I kept a clamp thing on my apron string). Now, let me run wash my hands with our Lemon/Rosemary soap (while they were invited to try the lotion) and we'll get started."

1. What is the appropriate attire for a Kitchen Show?

For a Kitchen Show, it is recommended to wear comfortable and casual clothing. You will be standing for most of the event and may be demonstrating products, so it is important to wear something that allows for ease of movement.

2. Do I need to wear the apron provided in the starter kit?

No, wearing the apron is not required for a Kitchen Show. It is simply provided as an option for those who want to wear it. Feel free to wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

3. Can I wear a dress or skirt to a Kitchen Show?

Yes, you can wear a dress or skirt to a Kitchen Show as long as it is comfortable and appropriate for the event. Avoid wearing anything too tight or revealing.

4. Should I wear closed-toe shoes?

It is recommended to wear closed-toe shoes for safety reasons, especially if you will be using any kitchen equipment or tools during the demonstration. However, if you prefer to wear open-toe shoes, make sure they are comfortable and appropriate for the event.

5. What should I avoid wearing to a Kitchen Show?

Avoid wearing anything too casual, such as sweatpants or pajamas. It is also recommended to avoid wearing anything with offensive language or graphics. Remember, you are representing the company and want to make a good impression on your guests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PChefPEI
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • Cooking_Mama
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jbdowd0798
  • babywings76