• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating an Awkward Mary Kay Situation - Advice Needed!

In summary, the speaker was seeking advice regarding a situation where she had booked a show for a new Mary Kay consultant, but after mentioning that her friends had a negative experience with the brand, the consultant decided to cancel both their shows. The speaker was unsure of what to do and asked for opinions. Some suggested letting it go, while others suggested trying to talk it out with the consultant. The speaker also mentioned some negative experiences with Mary Kay consultants in the past.
acherry
Gold Member
Hi Ladies & Gents,
So I need ya'lls help!!! I normally switch shows with other consultants alot (i.e., they book a show from me, I hold a show for them)...well I was at a fair and had a Mary Kay consult. next to me..she was real nice..just started w/ the company (2 months).. Well..she wanted to book a show...which was great...but then she talked to her recruiter (doing the booth w/ her) and then I ended up having to book a show for her...I had already mentioned that I have like 20 friends doing MK...AND I just had a MK show last month, which the consultant was ummm...not very good...so my friends are a bit anti-MK right now...
So...as I was talking to her..I mentioned that I had just had a MK party...and that my friends were a bit anti-mk b/c it wasn't a good experience (in my mind I felt obligated to mention that, b/c I know what its like to have anti PC people at a show, and I would prefer to know before hand, so I can come prepared)....
so she mentioned a pedicure party, and I thought that was great...
WELL....1 week passed and she calls me...and leaves a voicemail..saying that when I said my friends were anti-MK...it bothered her and that she didn't think it was appropriate for me to say and so she thinks its best if we cancel both our shows.... I was perplexed....I called her back ( I really liked her...but after the voicemail...I was a bit upset)...and left a msg saying, "I'm sorry you feel this way, I just mentioned that b/c my friends had a bad MK experience, so you would know, they are really excited about the pedi party, but if you don't want to do it, I understand, and I apologize for my comment. I'd still like to do the parties, but understand if you don't. Please call me."
So 1 week has passed, and I haven't heard anything...well...she live in my neighborhood, so I don't want bad PC vibes for me...so what do you think I should do? E-mail and inquirer or let sleeping dogs lie...

Granted, maybe I shouldn't have said that my friends were a bit anit-mk...but we had been at the fair for about 3.5 hrs, I thought it was a good communication between us...so I thought I'd be nice and let her know she might have a crowd of people with lots of questions...b/c the other party MK party we just had wasn't good at all...

So...let me know...watcha ya'll think... For the record...I feel terrible abt it, I'm not normally someone who sticks her foot in her mouth...but I guess this time I did...but we all make mistakes...
Anyway..thanks for all your input!!
Cheers,
Angela

Personally I would let it go. You have said your appologies... there really isn't anything else you can do. You didn't do anything wronge, you were just telling the truth.

I think you did the right thing by letting her know about the attitude your friends might have at her show. It sounds like she is taking it the wrong way, or her director is feeding her info that is incorrect. Maybe you should call her again and see if you can meet face-to-face, since you felt you both had a good relationship while at the show. Maybe by talking it out together you can find a resolution and still be able to hold your shows.

Good luck!!

I can totally see your side of it, and like you I would want to come prepared to a party knowing that I might get comments. But, if she just started with the company maybe she doesn't know what to say to make the vibe positive. Plus it sounds like she is saying whatever she feels, then talking to her recruiter and doing what the recruiter says is best. I think it is best just to let it go and maybe try again next summer!

I don't understand why she would even do the Mary Kay show for you in the first place. EVERYONE I've talked to in MK has stressed how they do not poach other consultant's customers.

I don't want to stereotype people, but I went to an MK meeting as a model one time - at least that's what my consultant was calling it. It turned out to be just a big recruiting hype. And it was rather scary - they were like a bunch of little clones of their Director. Matching outfits, etc. - that alone made me run the other way!!! So, I just got the impression that they don't do a lot of thinking for themselves, but that could be just the group I witnessed! I'm sure there are plenty of "normal" MK consultants out there!

I would just leave it be...and quite honestly, I find that most MK consultants get offended very easily are are very sensitive people...

It sounds like maybe the MK rep is just making excuses for not doing the show. Maybe she decided she couldn't have a PC show for you and just used what you said to make an excuse to not do your show. You never know. I don't see any harm in giving her another call if you really liked her. If you leave another message and don't hear back from her I guess its her loss. :rolleyes:

I dont believe you did anything wrong in letting her know. Maybe since she's new at MK she got nervous thinking no one would like her or buy anything and rather than do a show where you know no one is interested, she feels she can book someone else. I think she shouldnt have acted that way but hey, you live and learn. I'm sure the date you had set aside for her will be a rewarding one for you! :)

loreedfk said:
And it was rather scary - they were like a bunch of little clones of their Director. Matching outfits, etc. - that alone made me run the other way!!!

OMG that is too funny:D You have made my day!!!!!

Angela, I do not think you did anything wrong. You developed a relationship with the Mary Kay Consultant and thought you could be honest with her. You did not give an anti-Mary Kay line, it was a word against the consultant. With experience she will learn to say, "I am so sorry they had that kind of experience. I am really looking forward to having a great time with you and your friends."

I would just leave her alone for a while. Hopefully you will bump into her one day and maybe the two of you can redevelop your relationship.

Thanks!
Lisa

Last edited:
Lisa: I think your post was well put.

I don't see anything wrong with calling the other lady back and leaving a message saying, "I'm not sure if you got my other message, but just wanted to let you know that I talked to some of my friends and they really liked the pedi idea. I don't want to bug you, but I wanted to give you one last call so you don't miss out on this opportunity, so please give me a call if your still interested." If she doesn't call then that's ok, too.

1. How do I politely decline a Mary Kay invitation without offending the host?

It's important to be honest but polite in this situation. You can simply say something like, "Thank you for the invitation, but I am not interested in purchasing any Mary Kay products at this time." You can also offer a compliment about the host's own makeup or skincare, and then politely decline the invitation.

2. What should I do if someone at the Mary Kay party pressures me to buy something?

It's important to remember that you are not obligated to purchase anything. You can politely say, "I appreciate your offer, but I am not interested in making a purchase today." If the person continues to pressure you, it's okay to firmly but politely say, "I have made my decision, thank you." You can also remove yourself from the situation if necessary.

3. How can I support my friend or family member who is a Mary Kay consultant without buying products?

You can offer to host a party for them or share their products on social media. You can also refer potential customers to them or offer to help with administrative tasks. It's important to communicate your support in a way that feels comfortable to you.

4. What should I do if I accidentally RSVP'd to a Mary Kay party but can no longer attend?

It's best to be honest and communicate as soon as possible. You can say something like, "I apologize for the inconvenience, but I am no longer able to attend the party. Thank you for the invitation and I wish you a successful event." This shows respect for the host's time and effort.

5. How can I gracefully decline a Mary Kay sales pitch without hurting the consultant's feelings?

You can kindly say, "Thank you for your offer, but I am not interested in purchasing any Mary Kay products at this time." You can also offer a compliment about the consultant's own makeup or skincare, and then politely decline the offer. It's important to be respectful and honest in your communication.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Suzyengl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views
lovecookn
  • chefbecky
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies