• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the best way to handle overpayments from customers?

I have recently had over payments from customers writing down the incorrect price. ($12 for a rub, etc.). If they paid by cash or check, I will mail them a check for the difference.I have recently had over payments from customers writing down the incorrect price. ($12 for a rub, etc.). If they paid by cash or check, I will mail them a check for the difference.
heidabear
If an outside order or customer (or me) calculated something incorrectly, and they ended up overpaying, what do you do?

So far my "policy" has been that if it was less than $1, I rounded up and gave it to Feed the Hungry and anything more than $1 I sent a check back to them... but I'm curious what other people have been doing.

Usually the only reason why I have over payment is because the host charged an outside order tax on pantry items (not taxed here). Since it's not much I normally just round up unless it's a credit card payment. I don't think I've ever had much more than a few cents. I suppose I would probably call the guest and ask if they want to round up or want their "change" back.

If it is on a card, I charge correct amount and call/email customer to inform its cheaper! Cash or check, I usually write a check back and mail them or give to host to give them with order.
If its only a few cents, I call/email to see if they want me to round up.

I typically round it up if the payment was cash or check. I've never had one be more than $1-2. It's typically a tax rate difference. If it's on a credit card and they originally rounded up to the next dollar amount then that is what I do, round up to the next dollar amount from the correct total; otherwise just charge the correct amount.

Unfortunately I've had this happen the opposite way quite a bit....where outside orders go to pamperedchef.com instead of pamperedchef.ca...our prices are VERY different...so the total they calculate is much lower than what it really is. It's very annoying!

I have recently had over payments from customers writing down the incorrect price. ($12 for a rub, etc.). If they paid by cash or check, I will mail them a check for the difference.

Bren706 said:
I have recently had over payments from customers writing down the incorrect price. ($12 for a rub, etc.). If they paid by cash or check, I will mail them a check for the difference.

For something like that, I'd definitely refund obviously- but I'd first make sure that they didn't mean to order 2 or 3 of the item and forgot to write the quantity down.

The few times I've had overpayments, it's usually with outside orders and incorrect tax on pantry. For cash/check- I just round-up since it's usually just pennies.

I ask everybody....even if it's just a few cents. Most will just donate it to RUFTH, but I don't want to assume it's ok. I don't want to take any chances with the amount on their receipt being different from what they thought they were paying for.

Most of my customers round up, so overpayments under a dollar aren't an issue. Otherwise, I generally check with the person if I have their contact information. If it's an outside order that broke the rules and didn't give me their contact info, I simply add the overpayment as a RUFTH donation.

I always contact the customer to let them know the total is different. I give them the option of a donation to RUFTH, a refund, or (especially if they already wrote the check), getting an extra item for the cost of their overpayment. Sometimes they will order that extra item :)

If it's a check, I round up (usually by taxing pantry, which isn't a problem now that I use my laptop) and if it's a credit card, I adjust the amount accordingly. If it's more than $1, I give them a courtesy call.

I will usually try to contact the person through e-mail or phone first. I ask what they'd like to do with the difference. Would they like me to donate it to Feeding America or would they like it sent back to them in a check. Most of the time they donate it. :love:

I do take caution to NEVER charge any more pennies onto a credit card without making contact with the person--some people have their charges down to the cent where it will make a difference on another payment.

1. What should I do if I receive an overpayment?

If you receive an overpayment, the first step is to contact the sender and inform them of the error. It is important to let them know that you have received more than the intended amount and ask for further instructions on how to return the excess funds.

2. Can I keep the overpayment?

No, it is not ethical to keep an overpayment that is not rightfully yours. It is important to return the excess funds to the sender to avoid any legal or ethical issues.

3. What if I am unable to return the overpayment?

If you are unable to return the overpayment immediately, you should still inform the sender and work out a plan to repay the excess funds. This could include setting up a payment plan or returning the overpayment in installments.

4. Am I responsible for covering any fees associated with the overpayment?

No, you are not responsible for covering any fees associated with the overpayment. However, if the sender incurs any fees as a result of the overpayment, they may ask you to reimburse them.

5. How can I avoid receiving overpayments in the future?

To avoid receiving overpayments, it is important to double-check all payment amounts before accepting them. If you are unsure about the amount, it is best to confirm with the sender before accepting the payment. Additionally, you can set up alerts or notifications for any transactions made to your account to catch any potential overpayments.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Mary
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • kdangel518
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • loreo