• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Do if She Doesn't Tell You the Food She Wants?

In summary, Bobbie's first host has not returned her calls. She's stressed out and doesn't know what to do. She's trying to make lemonade out of the situation.
esavvymom
Staff member
I have a host that is impossible to get ahold of. I guess she figures she's the only one busy in this relationship. :grumpy: I had sent her the menu for tomorrow night's show on Saturday afternoon via email. I had spoken to her and did some coaching, talked her through a few things and about the menu.

Now, it's 2pm the day before her show and I have no idea what she wants me to make! My menu was simple...just a few choices. I had 2 recipes in each category- Appetizer, Main, Dessert, and then two Theme Shows (mexican with one recipe given) or an Ice Cream Social. Simple enough. I asked her to email me what she wants, and that I'd follow up with her Wednesday morning to go over her guest RSVP #s and any last minute things. I guess she took that to mean I'd call to get the menu THEN! But I've called her home 3 times (one vm), and her cell once leaving a vmail. I really wanted to make the menu for tonight to practice! (first show in 9 months!)

How long should I wait before I just say, screw it- you're having Fajitas and homemade salsa and you're going to LOVE it! :D I am not going to the store tomorrow- because then I won't be able to practice! Plus I need to pack my crate with the items specific to that recipe so I'm not taking a ton.

Just a little frustrated with this one. My first host back has to be a stinker. :D I don't even know how many PEOPLE we're talking about yet!

:cry::cry:

Bobbie I feel your pain girl! I recently had one that finally returned my call 4 hours before the show to decide on the demo. I had written off the show and was about the leave the house. Glad I didn't, the show was over $800 in sales. I don't have an answer for you; I wish I did. I currently have been trying to reach one for Saturday morning and still waiting. I tell all my upcoming hosts my timeline for calls. Some just don't get it! Maybe someone else on this board will give us both some ideas.

Hi Bobbi ~

Well at the least the next couple of shows will seem like a dream. You'll know you can handle anything after this, right? :D

I would just pick the menu. When or If she calls back, just let her know that the menu was chosen and will be Fajitas and salsa. Be excited and positive, and she'll bow down to your wisdom. He He

If she insists on something different, just let her know she'll have to do the shopping and risk an untried demo. She may then decide to follow with your plans.

No stress....it'll work itself out. I had a similar host....I did not get to talk to her til the NIGHT before the party.....turned out to be my biggest show to date. It was fun, and the joke became that I needed to skip host coaching and ignore the hosts til the night before. :D

Much success and much fun! Good Luck on your 1st show back.

I have a host that is scheduled for her second show Friday night, she is the same way! I actually called her last time to Cancel the show because i had not heard from her and she called back to please not cancel ended up being almost 800 and she booked fridays right off of it! again very little contact but she is an easy keeper and fun to be around. I just take our dipping seasonings and one of the covered baker recipes!
Hope your show turns out as well as hers do!

Well, I'm trying to make "lemonade" out of this. It's just stressing me out more than I would like. It certainly is giving me a perspective on making sure I am punctual about following through on things I promise to other people!I'm making my shopping list...fortunately, most of the menu I gave her is very simple and doesn't require alot. I've also made several of the items (like the fajitas)...but either way, I'll be making fajitas tonight for dinner whether my family likes it or not. :D So if she does ever decide to call me back, I'll be somewhat prepared no matter what. But I like your advice Laurie.

thanks everyone! I hope it does too! At the very least, it's getting that "first show" out of the way and move on to the next :D

I'd call her and say due to time constraints and needing to shop, I've picked the menu for you. I hope you enjoy the great food and some fun with friends. We will be doing "X" at your show tomorrow night.Make it positive and enjoyable on the message and there is a better change of favorable responses.

janetupnorth said:
I'd call her and say due to time constraints and needing to shop, I've picked the menu for you. I hope you enjoy the great food and some fun with friends. We will be doing "X" at your show tomorrow night.

Make it positive and enjoyable on the message and there is a better change of favorable responses.

Perfect! I like that. I'm heading to the store then! I've got my shopping list together, and even if she does call me tonight, I can easily change what I've chosen (many of them use the same ingredients). Otherwise, my family will eat well this week/weekend. :D Thanks. It helps to have a place to vent and get constructive ideas!

I've left messages similar to Janet's. If they hate something you've picked, they'll let you know.

UPDATE:

Ok..so I went to the store, was just back and going out to my car to unload. My phone rings...OF course! Yup..it was her. And guess what? She asked to reschedule! Apparently, she has about 20 people wanting to come BUT most of them just got back from a conference in Chicago (most of her guests all belong to the local Moose Lodge), and they are sick- half with pneumonia. One hurt her back, another's DH is having surgery, plus the host's son came home early from school today sick). SO I said "SURE!"
I certainly don't want a bunch of sick people, and if 20 people are on the books, I'd rather have them come than excluded to have it tomorrow. :D She's going to be out of town next week, so we're moved to 2 weeks away. That's fine. I said "While I have you on the phone (because I know I'll never catch her again!)...did you have a chance to look at the menu?" She says 'yes- can we do the Aloha Pizza? It looked so good!". SURE! (Now- this wasn't on my menu!! But I'll do it...it's easy enough. At this point, anything will work just so I can have an answer from her!) So I can't be upset with her if she really is having 20 people at her show...and she did say she was calling people to find out who was still able to come- apparently not many.

So...all that stress today for NOTHING. Again- I keep learning these little lessons and I need to make a file so I don't forget! At least I have a big booth this weekend to hopefully help finish filling my calendar. I was very successful at my last one.

Thanks for the advice and for letting me rant.

Ughhh....sorry for the unnecessary stress. Glad it sounds like it's going to have a great turn out! I'd remind her to pick up those outside orders. = )

The Aloha Pizza makes a great demo - practice it - it'll be EASY and you'll love it.

P.S. You can use fresh pineapple on it too with the pineapple wedger!

janetupnorth said:
The Aloha Pizza makes a great demo - practice it - it'll be EASY and you'll love it.

I've had it before...and we make a recipe very similar too. I'm actually making a mini-version tonight (with a pre-made homemade pizza crust). DH is working late, and kids eat cheese pizza, so I'm making my own Aloha Pizza with leftover grilled chicken and homemade PC BBQ sauce. :D

You can use fresh pineapple on it too with the pineapple wedger!

;) I know! Plus, I was thinking I could incorporate my DCB into it by having the chicken just about done before I'm ready for the demo...so I can show what it can do - or for that many people, I'll probably use it for a cake! I told her if she had 12 or more people, I'd do a quick cake recipe too.

It's probably a blessing that she rescheduled!

I don't give my hosts a choice. When they book I say, I am doing xx recipe for June and this for July. That way I am always in control of what products I will demo. For example, I always make sure I have something in the demo that is a host special within the next 2 months. Also, after the first couple of times practicing, I know the recipe by heart so my presentation is much more smooth.
Since I do bring the food as a service to my hosts, it also helps me to bargain shop and stock up for the month.

beckyjsmith said:
I don't give my hosts a choice. When they book I say, I am doing xx recipe for June and this for July. That way I am always in control of what products I will demo. For example, I always make sure I have something in the demo that is a host special within the next 2 months. Also, after the first couple of times practicing, I know the recipe by heart so my presentation is much more smooth.
Since I do bring the food as a service to my hosts, it also helps me to bargain shop and stock up for the month.
Does a host ever give you a hard time or attitude about it? Or do they just submit willingly? :D
I would love to take that kind of control, but have a feeling I'd chicken out and cave if she wanted something else. I guess it would depend on the host too.

beckyjsmith said:

I do this, but I don't bring the food. I do one recipe per month. During host coaching I talk it up--"I have been doing these chicken fajitas that cook in just 15 mins in the microwave and everyone just loves them. How does that sound?"

They usually say it sounds great.

This way I always know what I'm making and I pack my kit just once a month. :)

esavvymom said:
Does a host ever give you a hard time or attitude about it? Or do they just submit willingly? :D
I would love to take that kind of control, but have a feeling I'd chicken out and cave if she wanted something else. I guess it would depend on the host too.

No usually they are all... ooh that sounds wonderful. I talk it up as part of their booking decision. Oooh and next month we'll be making xxxx... it is FABULOUS and you will be amazed at how easy it is to make. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.. aren't you? Then I make a joke about being so over the top and say something like.. but seriously.. you are going to love this. And so far.. no balk.
The majority of my hosts are grateful for one less decision to make.

I do that, too. The only time I have an issue is when I'm doing a main dish for the month and the host really wants a dessert. In that case, I do try to extoll the virtues of the 30 minutes/$2 meals. If they still don't want it, then I accommodate them. I want to make it fun to host, and if the host has her heart set on something chocolatey, then I don't want to ruin her evening by making a main dish. I do make sure that I talk up the main dishes at her show, though, so that the guests know that if they host they can learn those tips and recipes. ;)

1. What if the person doesn't have any specific food preferences?

If the person you are cooking for doesn't have any specific food preferences, it's always a good idea to stick with classic dishes that are universally enjoyed. Some examples include pasta dishes, grilled chicken, or a hearty soup or stew. You can also ask the person if they have any dietary restrictions or allergies to take into consideration.

2. How can I find out what type of cuisine the person enjoys?

If you're unsure of what type of food the person likes, you can ask them directly or try to gather clues from their favorite restaurants or types of dishes they have mentioned in the past. You can also ask for their input on a few different cuisine options to get a better idea of their preferences.

3. What if the person is indecisive about what they want to eat?

If the person is having trouble deciding on what they want to eat, you can offer some suggestions based on your own favorite dishes or popular menu items. You can also try to narrow down the options by asking if they are in the mood for something savory or sweet, or if they have a preference for a certain type of protein.

4. How do I handle a situation where the person changes their mind about the food they wanted?

If the person changes their mind about the food they wanted, it's important to be flexible and accommodating. You can either try to make the new dish they requested if you have the necessary ingredients, or offer some alternative options that are similar to the original dish they wanted.

5. What if I don't have the ingredients for the food the person wants?

If you don't have the ingredients for the specific food the person wants, you can either ask them if they are open to a substitute dish or if they have any other food preferences. You can also offer to make a trip to the grocery store to get the necessary ingredients if it's feasible. Alternatively, you can suggest ordering takeout from a restaurant that offers the dish they are craving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lt1jane
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
sassypip
  • twopamperedchefs
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies