1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Bookings What is the appropriate follow up to this?

1. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

I had my host for tonight just call and cancel b/c her mom fell yesterday in adult daycare- they sent her home, and then she fell again today at home. My host is now on her way to the ER with her mom and is not mentally prepared, nor is her home prepared, for a party tonight.

Obviously I completely understand this and told her to please take care, I hope her mom is ok, and get back to me when she's ready to reschedule.

I would like to follow up with her so she doesn't fall off the radar though. I was thinking tonight when I get home to shoot her a quick email as follows, do you think this is a good response or too pushy?

Hi Theresa! I'm so sorry again to hear about your mom, I hope all is ok with her. Below are the dates I currently have available for November- let me know if you'd like me to hold one of them for us to reschedule your party and we can catch up next week to confirm. If you're not ready to pick a date yet that's ok, just get in touch with me when things have settled down a bit. I'll try to check back with you in a week or two! I hope the rest of your weekend is enjoyable and best wishes for a quick recovery for your mom!

Oct 23, 2009
  2. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

When people call to cancel/reschedule, I ALWAYS suggest we pick a new date right away that way when she is calling to let her guests know about the cancellation, she can give them the new date right away.

Oct 23, 2009
  3. kdangel518

Well, she was literally in the car on the way to the ER with her mother. I don't think that would have been appropriate for me to suggest or possible for her to do. She sounded incredibly frazzled.

Oct 23, 2009
  4. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

So, this is what I would do... for what it is worth. :)
    I would drop a 'thinking of you' card in the mail today with a note saying hope your mom is feeling better. I'll be in touch next week to follow up with you.
    I think this is the last thing on her mind today and if she is faced with the email upon returning home she might just automatically think - I don't have time for this.
    A written note is so much more personal too.

Good luck!
    -c

Oct 23, 2009
  5. dkitten13

dkitten13 Member

Charity I agree! That would be a very thoughtful touch!

Oct 23, 2009
  6. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

I agree with Charity and it's a great idea to send a card - so few people do nowadays. Good luck!

Oct 23, 2009
  7. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

I was thinking basically the same thing. For now, just say that you hope that her mother is doing fine and wait 3-5 days before approaching the topic of picking a new date. Having been a live-in care giver for two elderly grandparents and a father who was paralyzed from the neck down I can attest to making multiple last minute ER trips with each of them over the years. I would have been more focused on dealing with the current injury/illness and not mentally in the state to think about setting a new date right then.

I can't use the military mail for business purposes, so all of my contact is by phone or e-mail. But I agree that in your position, the hand written letter is an excellent idea! It definitely is more personable and will be appreciated much more. :D

Oct 23, 2009
  8. BeckyC5830

BeckyC5830 Member

Exactly what I would've done!

Oct 23, 2009
  9. nikked

nikked Senior Member Gold Member

Ditto on the sending card thing. Plus, by stating in the card that you'll be in touch next week, she'll be better mentally prepared for your call/email.

Oct 23, 2009
  10. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

I think I am going to do that for all of my reschedules due to medical problems. Thanks for the idea! I hope it works out for you, Kdangel!

Oct 23, 2009
  11. kdangel518

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

Oct 24, 2009
  12. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

so, Kara... what happened?

Nov 15, 2009
Have something to add?