• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is an Appropriate Gift for a Quinceanera?

In summary, a Quinceanera is a coming out party for hispanic young ladies. A great gift is money. Some girls have theirs at 10 or 13, but most (that I know of anyway) have theirs at 16. A savings bond or something like that would be a good gift also.
AJPratt
Silver Member
Hi! We are attending our friend's daughter's Quinceanera on Saturday and I wanted to know what would be an appropriate gift. I would appreciate any suggestions from those who have had/hosted one.

OK, I'll Bite...YOU GOT ME - I'll show my ignorance and ask... What on earth is a Quinceanera? Does it hurt?

Bexamo said:
YOU GOT ME - I'll show my ignorance and ask... What on earth is a Quinceanera? Does it hurt?

Not being hispanic I am going with my Tex-Mex knowledge. A Quinceanera is like a coming out party for hispanic young ladies. They have a special ceremony and beautiful dresses and TONS of gifts. Almost like the Jewish bah mitzvah (sp?).

A great gift is money! Honestly. I know that seems impersonal, but in this case it works. How old is the young lady? Some girls have theirs at 10 or 13, but most (that I know of anyway) have theirs at 16. A savings bond or something like that would be a good gift also.

15th Birthday party I think they get quinceanera gifts

Last edited by a moderator:
Anne--Since this is a family friend do you feel comfortable asking them? That's what I've started doing when my kids get invited to birthday parties.

From another site that tells about the tradition:

The Guests

The mix of family and friends, young and old, near and far – all combine to make the celebration unique and special. Guests experiencing this beautiful tradition for the first time, frequently ask us, “Is a gift appropriate?” Yes, dear friends, a gift is appropriate. A Quinceañera or Sweet Sixteen celebration is basically a big birthday party (although a very special, very memorable one). So, anything that you think the young lady would like to receive would be an appropriate gift.

We do suggest, however, that because this is such a unique birthday, that you select a gift that commemorates this very special event in her life.

I'm glad Rebecca asked. I thought Luis Quinceanera played shortstop for the Toledo Mudhens.If it was a 95th birthday party, I was going to suggest a respirator or an iron lung but since it's for a 15 year old girl, I'd suggest a set of bars and locks to keep her in and the boys (like I was) out.

Last edited:
Here is another link that has a response to someone:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Social-Etiquette-Good-2570/Quinceanera-Etiquette.htm

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, good. I thought for a minute it was a 95th birthday party. I was going to suggest a respirator or an iron lung but since it's for a 15 year old girl, I'd suggest a set of bars and locks to keep her in and the boys (like I was) out.

Hmm...where to buy a chastisty belt...

Why not start her off with her own PC products? I did that for a gal going off to college and she thought it was awesome!

Around here in the Hispanic communities it's for the 15th birthday. We attended one for the daughter of one of my husbands coworkers last year.
It was SO intriguing and fun! What marvelous symbolism in the dances and the gorgeous dresses. This girl is such a sweetheart and that made it even more fun. We gave her a pair of Swarovski Crystal earrings. It was a very special event for us to be honored to attend. Have fun.

You ladies are too cute! I love the definitions. I am hispanic and grew up with quinceneras. I never had my own (and I am not crying about it) because my parents didn't have the money for it. I enjoyed going to others though. It is like a sweet sixteen or intro to society. It is when the parents are giving permission for their daughter to grow up and start dating. If you can believe it this is when they can start shaving their legs and wearing make-up.

The most popular gift was to give money. Gift certificates to the popular teen stores or maybe to a spa? Different times now I guess.

My bet in on the monetary gift.

If a spa gift certificate is appropriate, what about one for a manicure and/or pedicure???

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is a 15 year old (quince = 15 en espanol). I am close to them, but I don't want to put them on the spot by asking. I'll check to see if Jasmine has pierced ears because a grown up piece of jewelry would be lovely, and make sense from us. Of course, I first thought money and if I can't find anything, then I know it will be acceptable. I know some do that. PC products would be good, if the girl liked to cook, but I wouldn't be comfortable giving that, and she won't be going to college for a few years. They live across the street from me, and I have taken me in as part of their family. My husband and I are invited to everything and the Mom always hosts a HUGE show for me (never less tha $1500), so I want them to know how special they (as well as Jamine) are to me.

Wasn't Quince the medical examiner in that old television show with Jack Klugman?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Wasn't Quince the medical examiner in that old television show with Jack Klugman?
Good Grief. Surely, you can't be serious.

Thank you for the explanation Rebecca!
I was CRACKING UP!!!! ROTFLMAOPIMP!!!!
I am married into hispanic and raised by them.

Anyways, my first thought was a box of condoms, but then she couldn't neccessarily make the boy use them.
Like previously suggested, a chastity belt would be great too.
Maybe a 4 year supply of birth control that SHE has no control over!!!

OK, that's enough on my part...
A spa gift certificate would be a great gift!
It really all depends on the family though!
Are they Americanized or are they traditional hispanic?
OK, that could be a whole other story I can get into too.
I think you should keep it simple!
Spa Gift Certificate!

I am now bowing out...

Hmmmmmm
AJPratt said:
Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is a 15 year old (quince = 15 en espanol). I am close to them, but I don't want to put them on the spot by asking. I'll check to see if Jasmine has pierced ears because a grown up piece of jewelry would be lovely, and make sense from us. Of course, I first thought money and if I can't find anything, then I know it will be acceptable. I know some do that. PC products would be good, if the girl liked to cook, but I wouldn't be comfortable giving that, and she won't be going to college for a few years. They live across the street from me, and I have taken me in as part of their family. My husband and I are invited to everything and the Mom always hosts a HUGE show for me (never less tha $1500), so I want them to know how special they (as well as Jamine) are to me.

Well then you have to make a good impression. These people are important and are like a second family to you. How sweet! I would definitely do something special for her.
Since her mother is all about Pc and has great parties for you, PC would not be appropriate. For a 15 year old I think that she is at an age where she will appreciate some nice jewelry (necklace, earrings, bracelet, etc).
Or you could do a Gift certificate to her favorite store (asking mom of course unless you already know which store it is) because I loved shopping sprees as a teenager.
And yes if all else fails, money is also a girl's best friend. Now to figure out a good amount to give???? Hmmmm.........

Debbie :D

AJPratt said:
Good Grief. Surely, you can't be serious.
Of course I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.

DO you have a Things Remembered store?
They have beautiful picture frames you can have engraved.
I just bought a pretty heart shaped trinket box for a friend's baby shower (we will have it engraved AFTER they agree on the name)
I think a gift that she can keep & remember you by years from no over $$$.

We do have a Things Remembered.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Of course I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.
LOL

I like the trinket box/jewelry box idea. Those are the things that I have from when I was growing up, that I still use.

Teresa Lynn said:
DO you have a Things Remembered store?
They have beautiful picture frames you can have engraved.
I just bought a pretty heart shaped trinket box for a friend's baby shower (we will have it engraved AFTER they agree on the name)
I think a gift that she can keep & remember you by years from no over $$$.

I love this idea! Things Remembered has a lot of beautiful stuff that a young girl could appreciate.

Also, Anne, since they are so close to you I also like the idea of nice jewelry. Putting these two ideas together may not be bad either. A small box with her initials on it with a nice small pair of earings?

It would be more personal and it would show a lot more thought went into it than just the monetary gift.

tpchefrebecca said:
Putting these two ideas together may not be bad either. A small box with her initials on it with a nice small pair of earings?

It would be more personal and it would show a lot more thought went into it than just the monetary gift.

I do like this idea. Hey, money is always just the right size and color, but I wanted something a little more personal.

Personalized JeweleryThis may be too difficult to gather together, but I like it! You could assemble a charm bracelet for her, with charms that symbolize the important "stuff" and people in her life at this time or her dreams for the future. Now - someone forward this to my husband! Our anniversary is in a few weeks and I really like this idea! LOL

15 year old girls love shopping! So do grown women... anyway, I would do jewelery is she likes it and wears it (believe it or not, I never wore jewelery as a teenager), I say go with money...I speak as a hispanic woman very familitar Quinceaneras.

Rebeccascabinet said:
15 year old girls love shopping! So do grown women... anyway, I would do jewelery is she likes it and wears it (believe it or not, I never wore jewelery as a teenager), I say go with money...I speak as a hispanic woman very familitar Quinceaneras.
Thanks for that! I will check with her Mom about jewelry and her initials to see if I can get something engraved. I just didn't want to put them on the spot.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help!

I'm glad you got some real answers. Like I said, my knowledge is a really scrambled Tex-Mex salsa. At least I knew it was a party!

Have a good time at the party!

1. What is an appropriate price range for a Quinceanera gift?

The price of a Quinceanera gift can vary depending on your relationship with the celebrant and your budget. A good range to aim for is between $25-$50, but it is ultimately up to your discretion.

2. Should I give a traditional gift or something more modern?

It is always a nice gesture to give a traditional gift such as a piece of jewelry or a religious item, but it is also acceptable to give a more modern gift that reflects the celebrant's interests or hobbies.

3. Is it appropriate to give money as a Quinceanera gift?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to give money as a Quinceanera gift. It is a common tradition to give the celebrant an amount that ends in the number 5 or 0, such as $25 or $50.

4. Should I bring the gift to the Quinceanera or give it beforehand?

It is best to bring the gift to the Quinceanera as it allows the celebrant to open it and thank you in person. However, if you are unable to attend, it is appropriate to give the gift beforehand and send your well wishes to the celebrant.

5. Do I need to wrap the gift in a specific color or style?

There is no specific color or style that is required for wrapping a Quinceanera gift. However, you can choose to use the celebrant's favorite color or incorporate elements of the Quinceanera theme into the wrapping to make it more personalized and special.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
missyciccolella
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • chefmeg