• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What If... a CS-Only Conference?

In summary, this concept was mentioned in another thread, and I thought it would be fun to play with the idea a little. The idea is for a CS-specific conference where participants would have to have their screen names and avatars printed on their badges, and would have to participate in all the workshops. There would be puns, puns, and more puns, and special workshops for costumes and fruit hats for every occasion.
Me, too. I got big Polish hips....

It creeps my baby boy out when I say it, but . . .

Mama got back!

If I said that to my kids, I can hear my oldest saying "Got back... from what?"

raebates said:
Good idea. I can sew. I took clothing in 4-H for 9 years. The 10th year I only did foods because judging started on the day of my wedding. I did make my wedding dress, flower girl dress and all of the bridesmaids dresses.

I'll look for some for a while because buying them will be faster and easier than making them. If I can't find something I like, though, I'll just whip up a pair.
I'm looking for someone who can reverse engineer a pair of antique knickers and make me some new ones.

How antique?
Some of the major pattern companies have period patterns aimed at the Civil War reenactment societies. And then there's the internet, when one can probably find patterns made by small pattern makers, not carried in mass market fabric stores.

Model A era...1928 - 1931. I doubt they really changed much for the years prior although by WWII they were pretty well done.

Ohh... pants knickers. For some reason, I assumed undergarment knickers.:rolleyes:Oops.Let me take a look online for patterns and see what comes up.

Since the time I found them (in Michigan, I might add) I can hardly get into my knickers.

umm..... you don't even want to know where my dirty mind ran with that set up.

BethCooks4U said:
Looks like several of us are in Wave 1. Me, Katie, Ann, TKG, Paulette... We REALLY need to have an "organizational" meeting while we are there. Where and when??? I'll be there. (You guys in Waves 2 & 3 - don't worry! You can be their via CS! Or just trust us!)

Hey! I'll be there! Can the baby cheffer join in too?

chefann said:
umm..... you don't even want to know where my dirty mind ran with that set up.
I figured.

MomToEli said:
Sure! The more, the merrier!

OK, KG, after a cursory look at a couple of commercial pattern sites, I found 2 patterns for men's costumes that include knickers. However, because they are commercially-produced mass-market patterns, they're not really historically accurate.
Both of these are elastic-waist, elastic-leg patterns.
http://www.butterick.com/item/B3072.htm?tab=costumes&page=9
http://www.butterick.com/item/B4317.htm?tab=costumes&page=5If you scroll down on the pages, you'll see line drawings that are easier to see than the photos.I also found this historical reference:
The beginning of the decade witnessed the end of World War I. Men returning from the war faced closets full of clothes from the teens, which they wore into the early 1920s.During this time, the sacque suit, which had been popular since the mid eighteen-hundreds, constituted appropriate "day" dress for gentlemen. (Edwardian etiquette commanded successive changes of clothing for gentlemen during the day.) With the suits, colored shirts of putty, peach, blue-gray and cedar were worn. Shaped silk ties in small geometric patterns or diagonal stripes were secured with tie pins. Black bowler hats completed the ensemble.The tail coat was considered appropriate formal evening wear, accompanied by a top hat. Starched white shirts with pleated yokes were expected with the tail coat, although bow ties and shirts with white wing collars were also seen. Tuxedos were increasing in popularity but were not yet completely acceptable.Black patent-leather shoes were popular during this era and often appeared with formal evening wear. Casual clothing demanded two-tone shoes in white and tan, or white and black. Fringed tongues on Oxfords and brogues were seen frequently. Lace-up style shoes were most in demand.Knickerbockers, later shortened to "knickers", were popular casual wear for the well-dressed gentleman. Variations of knickers included plus-fours, plus- sixes, plus-eights and plus-tens. The "plus" in the term referred to how many inches below the knee they hung. Norfolk coats as well as golf coats were worn with knickers. The coats sported large patch pockets, a belt, usually one button and often a shoulder yoke. Gentleman's shoes or boots were the appropriate footwear to coordinate with knickers.In 1925 the era of the baggy pants dawned. This fashion would influence mens wear for three decades. Oxford bags were first worn by Oxford undergraduates, eager to circumvent the University's prohibition on knickers. The style originated when knickers were banned in the classroom. As the bags measured anywhere from twenty-two inches to forty inches around the bottoms, they could easily be slipped on over the forbidden knickers.​

Between Ann and TKG, I have learned more completely irrelevant (and irreverant) information on this site than I ever thought possible!

I miss Payne Stewart.When I wear my plus fours in era fashion judging (if I suck in real hard, I can still get into them for awhile) I am amazed at how comfortable they are. They're at least as comfortable as shorts and since I don't look very good in shorts, knickers make a great alternative.I don't think I'd wear them to the mall, but I'd sure wear them when driving the Model A and most certainly, to play golf.

katie0128 said:
Between Ann and TKG, I have learned more completely irrelevant (and irreverant) information on this site than I ever thought possible!
I am a veritable walking compendium of useless information.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I am a veritable walking compendium of useless information.

Everyone has their gifts...

Here's a link for you, KG: http://www.onlygolfapparel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=13

Or this one:
http://www.golfknicker.com/knickers.html?gclid=CM6Xpt38mIwCFQGPWAodwm8k5w

katie0128 said:
If I said that to my kids, I can hear my oldest saying "Got back... from what?"

Ahh, the innocence of youth.

Sounds like Ann handled that inquiry well. I don't do a lot of sewing anymore. I also am really lousy at reverse engineering clothing. The couple of times I tried, the results were, well, embarrassing.

MomToEli said:

If you're a baby cheffer, what does that make me... a toddler??? That would make some people around here (you know who you are) with thousands and thousands of posts, like, I don't know, grandparents or something!

raebates said:
Sounds like Ann handled that inquiry well. I don't do a lot of sewing anymore. I also am really lousy at reverse engineering clothing. The couple of times I tried, the results were, well, embarrassing.
I've never tried to reverse engineer clothing. And I KNOW that I wouldn't want to start with pants. The pieces that make up pants just don't look like they should go together that way. And forget doing anything with a fly. :rolleyes:

katie0128 said:
If you're a baby cheffer, what does that make me... a toddler??? That would make some people around here (you know who you are) with thousands and thousands of posts, like, I don't know, grandparents or something!

... or something :cool: At my age, it's nice to be the baby somewhere, somehow!

I think I've arrived, though. My dh told me tonight that I seem a bit obsessed - YES!

katie0128 said:
Nice to think of Ann as being close to me in age, then.

And, I'm not too far behind.

MomToEliI think I've arrived said:
Yippee... we've created another addict!

MomToEli said:
Of course!! Everyone's invited! I REALLY hope we can get a good group together this time if only for a short time!

chefann said:
I've never tried to reverse engineer clothing. And I KNOW that I wouldn't want to start with pants. The pieces that make up pants just don't look like they should go together that way. And forget doing anything with a fly. :rolleyes:
If it makes you feel any better, my NOS Plus-Fours have a button fly.

BethCooks4U said:
Of course!! Everyone's invited! I REALLY hope we can get a good group together this time if only for a short time!

Have you been having bad groups?

amy07 said:
Have you been having bad groups?
Ha! It seems like the plans always go awry, and nobody meets each other. I did meet, purely coincidentally, a couple CS-ers at Leadership. Which was cool. But if we plan something for conference, we can meet a LOT of people.

chefann said:
Ha! It seems like the plans always go awry, and nobody meets each other. I did meet, purely coincidentally, a couple CS-ers at Leadership. Which was cool. But if we plan something for conference, we can meet a LOT of people.
Right. We have planned things before and then people don't show up. One year we talked about yellow ribbons and I said I would have a balloon so we could find each other. I sat in the lobby with the balloon and wore the ribbon and saw no one from CS at all during that conference - the lobby was SOOOOOOOOO crowded I would have been surprised if I had though.

We have even exchanged cell numbers and still don't seem to connect. And then there was Jeanine sitting behind me while on the cruise. She recognized me and we ended up spending some fun time together! And I've had other UNPLANNED meetings too! So you never know where you might meet a CS junkie.

All that being said, I am very willing to try again - and I think we have forged closer friendships here lately too. :)

Well, if nothing else, the buttons should help. I've sold about 70 of the 100 I initially purchased, and I know that some folks have ordered some directly from Cafe Press. If they're evenly distributed among the 3 waves, there'll be about 35 people with buttons at each wave.

I would love one of those post slut t-shirts (if it came in my size) but I don't think my dir. would find it amusing. Don't know about the other ladies. I just do not know them well enough (only met my Dir once).

Anne what is the easiest way to get a button?

I have full intentions of meeting you ladies for drinks at the hiltn at least one night, although it may have to be a little late! I mean heck shouldn't be too hard for those of us staying there. I'm one to do my own thing anyway.
It's conference Who needs sleep!!! I know I wont be getting much in a rom full of ladies I don't know!

Well, I will be at the appointed place so there will be at least 2 of us (well, 3. I am sure my recruit will join us) and I will be VERY disappointed if Ann decides to go to bed instead of meeting US! Who else will commit??

Oh, and I just couldn't make myself wear a "slut" shirt - I think it's too funny but I just can't do it myself. I am just way too conservative for that! Besides, I'm not - did you see that Ann has surpassed my posts by over 100 in just a few days? ...not to be calling anyone any names or anything.:eek:

I am in Wave 1 - and would love to meet up with you guys......but after our last cluster meeting, I am trying to figure out when! My director has alot of stuff planned for us - and we always go out for drinks at least one night...but I will be staying at the Hilton too - so I'm going to try!!! I DO NOT want to miss out on any possible fun!

etteluap70PC said:
I have full intentions of meeting you ladies for drinks at the hiltn at least one night, although it may have to be a little late!
I'll be the one in the purple dress and the red hat.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'll be the one in the purple dress and the red hat.
Great! We won't have any trouble finding you then. How are you at taking dares?

ChefBeckyD said:
I am in Wave 1 - and would love to meet up with you guys......but after our last cluster meeting, I am trying to figure out when! My director has alot of stuff planned for us - and we always go out for drinks at least one night...but I will be staying at the Hilton too - so I'm going to try!!! I DO NOT want to miss out on any possible fun!
What kind of things does she have planned? I wanted to plan some things with my group too and I just don't know enough about Chicago. I know Mag. Mile (doing that Sunday), Navy Pier (might do on Wednesday?). What else? We were thinking maybe a play or something... The first time I went we saw Menopause - a very fun play to see with girlfriends!

Paulette: you can PayPal me $2 for a button or go to my Cafe Press store (link in my siggy). There are more details in the "Cheffer Buttons" thread in the Conference 2007 area.Beth: I only passed you because I've had a really boring week at work. I've been doing a repetitive task that requires me to be at the computer monitoring status and ready to kick off the next job. It's easier to be online (and therefore looking at the screen) while the jobs run than to read a book. I'll be done with that task by end of business Tuesday (probably), and my post frequency will probably drop back down to normal.

BethCooks4U said:
What kind of things does she have planned? I wanted to plan some things with my group too and I just don't know enough about Chicago. I know Mag. Mile (doing that Sunday), Navy Pier (might do on Wednesday?). What else? We were thinking maybe a play or something... The first time I went we saw Menopause - a very fun play to see with girlfriends!
Here's one you won't soon forget:

http://www.wickedthemusical.com/chicago/

Julia Murney as Elphaba
http://wickedthemusical.com/gallery/stage/images/13.jpg

chefann said:
Paulette: you can PayPal me $2 for a button or go to my Cafe Press store (link in my siggy). There are more details in the "Cheffer Buttons" thread in the Conference 2007 area.

Beth: I only passed you because I've had a really boring week at work. I've been doing a repetitive task that requires me to be at the computer monitoring status and ready to kick off the next job. It's easier to be online (and therefore looking at the screen) while the jobs run than to read a book. I'll be done with that task by end of business Tuesday (probably), and my post frequency will probably drop back down to normal.
Whatever "normal" is around here.

chefann said:
Beth: I only passed you because I've had a really boring week at work. I've been doing a repetitive task that requires me to be at the computer monitoring status and ready to kick off the next job. It's easier to be online (and therefore looking at the screen) while the jobs run than to read a book. I'll be done with that task by end of business Tuesday (probably), and my post frequency will probably drop back down to normal.
That's your excuse and you're sticking to it.:p

Got that right! :)

Hey Ann,
I don't post that often, but did I read somewhere there were different color CS pins?? Which ones do you have? I'm jealous, I'm in Wave 3....so won't be meeting any of you seriously funny ladies~not at conference anyway! But a CS conference would be a blast!!!

Sarah,I've got the beige ones (maroon lettering). If you check out my Cafe Press shop (in my signature), you'll see those way down at the bottom of the page. There is a bright version (orange with purple lettering) that's available as a magnet and a mini pin.

Hey! I got my official Mr. Weenie t-shirt today!
IM002653.jpg

What? No pic of you modeling it?

It's kinda tough to wear a shirt and work the camera at the same time.

That's what self timers are for. Or mirrors.

<h2>1. What would be fun/different/a "must-do" if there was a wave of Conference that was specifically for CS members ONLY?</h2><p>Some fun and different things that could be incorporated into a CS-only conference could include interactive workshops on popular CS topics such as coding, design, and social media. There could also be a designated "nerd zone" where attendees can play video and board games. A "must-do" could be a roundtable discussion on the future of technology and how CS members can shape it.</p><h2>2. We'd have to have our screen names on our badges, and preferably with our current avatars printed on them, too.</h2><p>Having screen names and avatars on badges would be a great way for CS members to recognize and connect with each other in person. It would also add a fun and personalized touch to the conference.</p><h2>3. OMG! There would be a lot of abbreviated speak (like the commercial on TV with the 'Tween who says everything in Text-speak).</h2><p>Yes, there would definitely be a lot of abbreviated speak at a CS-only conference. It would be a great opportunity for CS members to geek out and use their tech lingo without worrying about being understood.</p><h2>4. None of the workshops would be quiet - we'd all have to get our two cents in.</h2><p>With a room full of CS members, there's bound to be a lot of lively discussion and participation in workshops. It would be a great opportunity for everyone to share their knowledge and ideas with each other.</p><h2>5. Puns, puns, and more puns!</h2><p>CS members are known for their clever and creative minds, so a CS-only conference would definitely be filled with puns and jokes related to technology and coding. It would be a fun and entertaining way to bond with other CS members.</p><h2>Special workshop: costumes and fruit hats for every occasion</h2><p>This would be a unique and fun workshop where CS members can let their creativity run wild and create costumes and fruit hats for different occasions. It would be a great way to showcase their coding skills and have some fun at the same time.</p>

1. What would be fun/different/a "must-do" if there was a wave of Conference that was specifically for CS members ONLY?

Some fun and different things that could be incorporated into a CS-only conference could include interactive workshops on popular CS topics such as coding, design, and social media. There could also be a designated "nerd zone" where attendees can play video and board games. A "must-do" could be a roundtable discussion on the future of technology and how CS members can shape it.

2. We'd have to have our screen names on our badges, and preferably with our current avatars printed on them, too.

Having screen names and avatars on badges would be a great way for CS members to recognize and connect with each other in person. It would also add a fun and personalized touch to the conference.

3. OMG! There would be a lot of abbreviated speak (like the commercial on TV with the 'Tween who says everything in Text-speak).

Yes, there would definitely be a lot of abbreviated speak at a CS-only conference. It would be a great opportunity for CS members to geek out and use their tech lingo without worrying about being understood.

4. None of the workshops would be quiet - we'd all have to get our two cents in.

With a room full of CS members, there's bound to be a lot of lively discussion and participation in workshops. It would be a great opportunity for everyone to share their knowledge and ideas with each other.

5. Puns, puns, and more puns!

CS members are known for their clever and creative minds, so a CS-only conference would definitely be filled with puns and jokes related to technology and coding. It would be a fun and entertaining way to bond with other CS members.

Special workshop: costumes and fruit hats for every occasion

This would be a unique and fun workshop where CS members can let their creativity run wild and create costumes and fruit hats for different occasions. It would be a great way to showcase their coding skills and have some fun at the same time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back