• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding the Meaning of Divided in Recipes - Clearing Up Confusion

S
slingmommy
I always see this in recipes and I have no clue what it means. For instance, in the featured recipe this month it says "one cup heavy whipping cream, divided" Help me understand what on earth I'm supposed to do to divide cream???:confused:
Thanks.

It just means that you'll use part of it in one section of the recipe and part of it in another section. :) So, when you read the rest of the recipe, it should call for using the whipping cream two different times. HTH!

It REALLY REALLY does! Thank you. Because of my misunderstanding I have never made a recipe with that word in it. Thanks!

No problem! Glad I could help! I have learned so much thru this business! You'll be a gourmet before you know it! :p

Yes, you will become a great cook!! Before I became a PC consultant, I had no idea what zest meant!! LOL:D

slingmommy said:
It REALLY REALLY does! Thank you. Because of my misunderstanding I have never made a recipe with that word in it. Thanks!

Melissa, Your question made me smile :) Make sure you use that story at your shows. Helps the guests see that you don't have to be a professional to become a consultant.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Melissa, Your question made me smile :) Make sure you use that story at your shows. Helps the guests see that you don't have to be a professional to become a consultant.
LOL! Oh yes, I am FAR from "professional". I just started cooking a year ago, and I am 34 years old. I was a seriously awful cook and I tell a few stories in my shows to illustrate that fact. My home-ec teacher in high school passed me out of pity after I nearly burned down the school. (True story- they had to evacuate 1100 students!) Now my husband and kids are thrilled when I make dinner. It's an absolute turn around and I owe a large part of that to PC!

GeorgiaPeach said:
I thought you had to let it clabber or something

1. What does "divided" mean in a recipe?

In a recipe, the term "divided" refers to an ingredient that is used in separate parts or portions throughout the cooking process. This means that the total amount of the ingredient listed in the recipe will be divided and used at different times or in different ways.

2. How do I divide an ingredient in a recipe?

The most common way to divide an ingredient in a recipe is by using measuring cups or spoons. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of milk divided, you would first measure out 1 cup of milk and then divide it into two equal parts, each measuring 1/2 cup.

3. Why do recipes use the term "divided" for certain ingredients?

Recipes use the term "divided" to indicate that an ingredient needs to be added at different stages of the cooking process. This helps to ensure that the ingredient is used in the correct amounts and at the appropriate times, which can affect the overall taste and texture of the dish.

4. Can I skip dividing an ingredient in a recipe?

In some cases, you may be able to skip dividing an ingredient in a recipe if it is not crucial to the dish. However, it is important to follow the recipe as closely as possible for the best results. If you are unsure about whether you can skip dividing an ingredient, it is best to consult the recipe or a cooking expert.

5. What should I do if a recipe doesn't specify how to divide an ingredient?

If a recipe does not provide specific instructions for dividing an ingredient, you can use your best judgment based on the other ingredients and steps in the recipe. You can also refer to similar recipes or consult a cooking expert for guidance on how to divide the ingredient in question.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • LeanneB.
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
Replies
Views
ShellBeach