• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Projecting a Professional Image: What to Wear for Pampered Chef Shows

I actually switched a while back and I love them! I found a pair of dark wash jeans that fit me well and I feel great in them. I think it's important to feel comfortable when you're cooking, and jeans are a great way to do that. Hosts should dress similarly to the guests they're hosting. A good general rule is that you want to dress similarly, but slightly better, than the guests at the show. That makes you both approachable and professional.
MakinBacon
I suppose I feel like since this is a JOB I should look somewhat presentable when working. Whenever I leave my house, i wear clean, well-fitting clothing that matches, has no holes, etc. Basic looking-nice. Whenever I'm going somewhere specifically to do something for Pampered Chef, I try to do a little more (fix my hair a little, put on mascara, wear something nicer than my every-day jeans and a tee shirt, etc).

So, what do you wear to your shows? Jeans? Khakis? just something nice? For my only cooking show so far, I wore a pair of nice new dark-wash jeans, a burnt orange scoop neck sweater with a brown cami underneath, brown sandals, and some chunky bangle bracelets.

Just curious because I don't want to over dress or under-dress and I feel like the image we project is important.

a friend of mine is a consultant for another DS company and she wears NOTHING but sweat pants and ratty tee shirts (including small pin-holes and stains) for work and goes to shows like that. I was shocked when I saw her leaving for her show in sweats!

What would you do if a DS consultant showed up to your house for a show you were hosting dressed in sweats that were visibly worn and ill-fitting? How would you expect a consultant to dress if YOU were the host?

I usually wear a PC logo shirt and either nice jeans, or khakis. I always wear nice shoes too (no sneakers). In the summer I will wear capris and sandals with a logo shirt.

My "uniform" is similar to Linda's. In the winter, I pack a pair of slippers in my bag, just because some hosts have a "no shoes" policy, and I feel less than professional standing around in my socks. (They also keep my feet warm in those situations.)A good general rule is that you want to dress similarly, but slightly better, than the guests at the show. That makes you both approachable and professional.

I usually wear a pair of black slacks or black capris. I have never worn jeans. I will usually wear a nice shirt or light sweater. I never want to feel to wrapped up where I feel uncomfortable. In the summer, I have worn a nice sun dress, as long it covers me up appropriately. For shoes I will wear a nice pair of sandles (as long as my feet are done and polished) or a black pair of shoes or boots.
If I am going out shopping and have my PC bag, I will make sure I look good. I will wear nice jeans. I do feel pressured because where I live we all shop at the same local food store and don't want to run into past hosts/ guests looking like a mess.

I used to dress up more...but this year, I made the decision that I wasn't going to try project an image of someone I'm not...and I was going to be me at my shows - that included an overhaul of my show, and how I do things. So now, I wear a nice pair of jeans, khakis, or casual black pants and a PC shirt or sweater. (I don't wear the apron, usually) I wear Merrill shoes, because they are the most comfortable. In the summer, I will wear Capri's and sandals. I used to say that I could never wear jeans to a show, but it hasn't hurt my business one bit. This has been my best year EVER for sales and recruiting. Don't really know if the change to a more casual dress/show atmosphere has been the deciding factor on that, but it's been part of an overall change in my shows.

I always wear a nice pair of pants (no jeans but nothing too fancy) and a cute top. I try to stay away from long sleeves so I don't have to push them up to cook in. In the summer I switch to capris since it gets so hot here.

I don't wear logo wear to a show. I don't put my apron on until I'm ready to start the demo. This way I'm just another friend/guest and can mingle without being the PC lady. I guess I'm old-fashioned but I don't wear jeans to shows, but if they're fashionable jeans and you feel you won't be underdressed then I can see other people pulling it off. Just not me. In winter it's black pants with a decent top, summer is capris. I hate clothes shopping b/c I have such a hard time finding things that fit right so I basically have one or two work outfits for each season.

It's funny that Becky says she switched to jeans and don't think it has negatively impacted her biz. I feel that maybe b/c I'm looking a little more professional this year (black pants instead of khakis) that I'm doing better. I'm not one to ever get glammed up, but I do want the guests to know I take my business seriously.

Sweats and a holey t-shirt? No way. I would have said something.

I usually wear a pair of trouser jeans or black or brown casual pants (think Dockers) and a short sleeve solid colored shirt. (I save my logowear for when I'm out and about--everyone at the show knows I'm a PC consultant, I don't need to wear the shirt!).I put my apron on when the demo starts and take it off when I'm done with the demo (before checkout).In the summer I wear capris, but try to still wear closed toe shoes.

don't know the age of all who have responded so far, but being a young'n (22) I ONLY wear jeans, ever. I do own one pair of black slacks but that's it, and those are basically only for times that I HAVE to dress up and didn't feel like/have time to shave my legs. I have worn skirts a few times, but those just look ridiculous under the apron. So typically I wear dark wash trouser, boot cut or skinny jeans with a nice top. Mainly the "business" difference is that I do my make-up. I don't wear make up other than mascara on a day to day basis. When my hair was longer I used to always put it in a pony tail so I didn't fiddle with it during shows, now that it's shorter I just have to make sure I've styled it so that it's not falling in my face so I won't touch it during the show.

mrshamel3808 said:
don't know the age of all who have responded so far, but being a young'n (22) I ONLY wear jeans, ever. I do own one pair of black slacks but that's it, and those are basically only for times that I HAVE to dress up and didn't feel like/have time to shave my legs. I have worn skirts a few times, but those just look ridiculous under the apron. So typically I wear dark wash trouser, boot cut or skinny jeans with a nice top. Mainly the "business" difference is that I do my make-up. I don't wear make up other than mascara on a day to day basis. When my hair was longer I used to always put it in a pony tail so I didn't fiddle with it during shows, now that it's shorter I just have to make sure I've styled it so that it's not falling in my face so I won't touch it during the show.

Ditto.

I worked the corporate world for just over three years. Ten - twelve hour days, and was THRILLED when I did not have to go to the office on a weekend so I didn't have to wear a suit. I lived the executive lifestyle for those three years, and one of my main reasons that I decided to give PC a try was that I didn't need to live that lifestyle anymore. I wear boot cut or skinny jeans - typically only a dark wash and a nice sweater or blouse. I have never worn make up and people would probably ask if it was Halloween if I did!

... and never go anywhere without my adidas

Please note that I am a man! :)
I always wear a white shirt over a white T-shirt. If the show is after a workday then I leave my dress pants on but on weekends, I'll wear jeans with my white shirt. I feel it is clean and puts me in a Pampered Chef mode. I always wear shoes as I would not want to be in sandals when the Santoku falls and hits my toe. I believe it is important that we look profesional as we represent a respectful company.

I wear a dark nice pair of jeans, my dansko shoes, and a nice shirt/blouse. I want people (possible recruits) to not think that you have to get all dolled up to do this :) Besides that's just who I am . I have 6 kids, so I don't get dressed up often anyway :)

As another 22 year old, I have to say that I like to wear nice jeans (although I'm not opposed to slacks) & a nice dressier shirt. I also like to wear heels, but that's just my preference. As for my hair, it's quite long, so in a pony it goes.

I don't wear jeans normally. I wear slacks/khakis every day with a PC shirt, and that is what I wear to my shows.

mrshamel3808 said:

robochick84 said:
Ditto.

I worked the corporate world for just over three years. Ten - twelve hour days, and was THRILLED when I did not have to go to the office on a weekend so I didn't have to wear a suit. I lived the executive lifestyle for those three years, and one of my main reasons that I decided to give PC a try was that I didn't need to live that lifestyle anymore. I wear boot cut or skinny jeans - typically only a dark wash and a nice sweater or blouse. I have never worn make up and people would probably ask if it was Halloween if I did!

... and never go anywhere without my adidas

Tropicalburstqt2 said:
As another 22 year old, I have to say that I like to wear nice jeans (although I'm not opposed to slacks) & a nice dressier shirt. I also like to wear heels, but that's just my preference. As for my hair, it's quite long, so in a pony it goes.

Interesting...I wonder if my changing to wearing jeans has anything to do with the fact that almost all of my recruits this year have been 20-somethings...and I am booking more shows with that age group too...:confused: Interesting things to ponder...

Oh, and I have ankles that like to roll, so I always wear tennis shoes.

I would be bothered if a DS Consultant showed up in sweats. Too sloppy. Almost feels disrespectful.I wear nice jeans, a solid colored cotton top & leather, closed-toe, lace-up shoes. And my long hair is pulled up into a ponytail. Put together but totally approachable. I don't want to dress up so nice that others would look at me & not even consider the business opportunity because it looks too much like 'work', kwim? Yes, it's work, but I want them to see the fun first.And for what its worth, I'm 32.

Well first of all, I am 57. I wear my black slacks and a short or long sleeve shirt. I wear Etonic tennis shoes 100% of the time due to my back problems except on rare occasions that I go to a wedding and then it is sandals. If it is a winter wedding, they get my tennis shoes. I have been wearing my Christmas apron since September. I guess I will go back to my denim one till March then start wearing my HWC one for April and May.

I am a QVC junkie (that's a whole different thread;)) so what I usually wear now is Citiknits. If you're not familiar with Citiknits, it's like travel wear...the stuff you can 'stuff' into your drawer/bag and it won't wrinkle. It's soooo very comfortable, light weight and breezy. I tend to overheat sometimes at my shows so I don't like to layer. It has a nice casual feel but looks so very nice. I have several pants and some summer cropped pants too that I mix match with the shirts. I've never worn anything but nice shoes (mules, sandals, dress shoes) to a show. I too tend to not wear much makeup at home, but will try to even out all the imperfections when I go to a show.

I cannot fathom anyone wearing sweats, holy or not, to do a demo. I don't even let my kids wear sweats to school, even tho I know lots of others do. It's just sloppy! It says you don't care or have any respect for what you do. If they put that little effort into it, do I want to purchase what they are trying to sell me? Oh, but I do wear sweats around the house cleaning and that sort of stuff....just not out in public (unless at the gym).

Great topic. Informative, too.

I am so glad to hear others wear jeans since I was under the impression that we should not wear jeans.

This is interesting to me since lately I have been dreading doing shows. The MAIN reason I have dreaded shows is the "dressing up" part. I work full-time in an office environment. Basically, nice slacks, dress shoes and a nice top/blouse. So, when Saturday or Sunday rolls around THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO IS DRESS UP ON THE WEEKEND.

I have even tried to push weeknight shows so I would already be "dressed up" for the shows.

It's not that I don't want to look nice, it's just that I would be so much more comfortable in a nice pair of jeans with a nice top, etc.

So, this has been interesting. All along I have been afraid to wear jeans.

I wear jeans or cuffed slacks depending on who is having the show and who is coming. I don't wear sweatpants EVER so I would NEVER wear them to a show.But I never leave the house not put together anyway. Mascara, concealer, and lipgloss at a minimum

Well for it's worth I am 30 going on 23!;)

I have almost always worn jeans with a solid top or sweater, occasionally I wear logo wear but always have apron so not really needed. If I have a show on a weeknight I often don't bother to change and I work in a bank so I dress pretty professionally. I personally don't feel jeans are inappropriate. Most of my shows are pretty laid back and I'm going to do a better show if I'm comfortable. But to each his own. I would never ever show up for a show in sweats. I felt terribly uncomfortable closing out to shows in workout clothes because we were doing it right after my bootcamp class!:eek: Both my hosts knew where I was coming from though and were cool with it. Looking back though I wish I'd taken a few minutes to change although it didn't hurt anything.

I think alot of what is worn to a show depends on where you live. Some areas of the country are more conservative than others. I live in the desert in CA and when I was doing shows I wore jeans or khakis in cooler weather. However, in the summer when it was hot (we can get to 110+ here) I would wear nice shorts with a nice top. No one at my parties ever seemed to mind what I was wearing. (Just my $.02)

I think the gist of this thread is we need to be presentable. I feel so sorry for ladies who have to wear stockings and dresses or skirts. If you want to do that, fine, but be aware that it may turn someone off from becoming a consultant because they may think they need to dress that way. I don't change anything from the way I dress normally to the way I dress for a show other than most of the time I will wear makeup for a show. But, people are looking to see how hard this is, if they need another wardrobe, if THEY could do this. So, look put together but not something too difficult, be comfortable and have fun!

I agree put together. I wear NICE jeans to shows (no faded out or worn spots, etc) and polos or a nice fancy tee-shirt etc. But I don't look like I just came in from running errands when I do a show either. Somewhere in the middle. Like if I were going over to a couple's house to eat and I didn't know them super well. That middle ground between dressed up and every day. But I know a DS consultant that wears holey sweatpants and plain tee shirts. To each their own, but she's always complaining about people not booking with her. I did break down and wear heels to my last show because i know the hostess is always super dressy :D

I rarely wear jeans at all. For shows I usually wear casual pants/capris in summer and a nice top. I agree that they know I'm the PC lady so I save my logo wear for out and about. I do dress nicer for bridal showers and with certain groups. It's never out of place to be dressed a little nicer than everyone if you are the consultant but it is bad form to be the sloppily dressed one. I do wear an apron for the demo.

I think it all depends on what the standard dress is in your area. Be neat and clean and you'll be fine.

BethCooks4U said:
I rarely wear jeans at all. For shows I usually wear casual pants/capris in summer and a nice top. I agree that they know I'm the PC lady so I save my logo wear for out and about. I do dress nicer for bridal showers and with certain groups. It's never out of place to be dressed a little nicer than everyone if you are the consultant but it is bad form to be the sloppily dressed one. I do wear an apron for the demo.

I think it all depends on what the standard dress is in your area. Be neat and clean and you'll be fine.

I think this is the key!

I have always worn one of three pairs of pants--black, dark green, or light blue capris. I wear a nice blouse or cotton pull-over shirt, all solid colors. I never wear stockings, always matching socks or even sandals with bare feet in the summer. My hosts and guests are usually dressed in a similar manner. I wear my apron from when they walk in until after the demo/before orders.

I always wondered about the jeans too. I see nothing wrong with them as long as they are clean, not worn and a darker wash. Why not denim pants to match the apron?

I often wear dress pants, however, even though I tend not to like to cook wearing dressy clothes.

Often on top it's the PC Tshirt. Yes, it's got a bleach stain on it, but the apron covers it nicely.

cmdtrgd said:
I think the gist of this thread is we need to be presentable. I feel so sorry for ladies who have to wear stockings and dresses or skirts. If you want to do that, fine, but be aware that it may turn someone off from becoming a consultant because they may think they need to dress that way. I don't change anything from the way I dress normally to the way I dress for a show other than most of the time I will wear makeup for a show. But, people are looking to see how hard this is, if they need another wardrobe, if THEY could do this. So, look put together but not something too difficult, be comfortable and have fun!
Double ditto Kate. :)
I am a teacher by day ( Batman by night.. oh wait.. wrong story!) and I change into jeans before my shows on school nights if I have time. I always wear jeans on the weekend.
I agree with looking presentable... I always wear a nice sweater or blouse, and when I turned 35 I thought I would pretend to start growing up so now I also accessorize. ( I am 36 now.)
I certainly don't think it has hurt my business in the least.
I think what it boils down to is that, like Kate said, you look presentable.
The only other things the guests are REALLY going to remember are whether they liked you and they had fun and if the food was good.

Okay, here is another question along the line of what to wear--what is the feeling of wearing a non-PC apron?? Such as: http://www.bettycrockerstore.com/p-199799-4294930897-_Now-Designs-Chefs-Choice-Apron.aspx?back=c-2740%2b4294930897-.aspx

I wore an "eye--heart---pumpkin--pi" shirt to shows in November. but I knew most of my customers then, so they all knew I was the PC consultant anyway.I want to get a pink apron and iron on a HWC logo (why don't we have HWC aprons?!?) and I want to do a black apron with a white logo on it too. but, i have an embroidery machine and lots of iron-on stuff, so I can make my own. I have no problem not wearing the official PC apron as long as it goes with the holiday/theme you're doing. I want to make a Round Up From the Heart apron too...that i can wear for v-day too :D

MakinBacon said:
I wore an "eye--heart---pumpkin--pi" shirt to shows in November. but I knew most of my customers then, so they all knew I was the PC consultant anyway.

I want to get a pink apron and iron on a HWC logo (why don't we have HWC aprons?!?) and I want to do a black apron with a white logo on it too. but, i have an embroidery machine and lots of iron-on stuff, so I can make my own.

I have no problem not wearing the official PC apron as long as it goes with the holiday/theme you're doing. I want to make a Round Up From the Heart apron too...that i can wear for v-day too :D

Umm, We do. You can earn one just by turning in 2 shows April 1-15. There was one we could earn last year too - I've been wearing that one this whole past year. LOVE it!

I wear jeans and a polo type shirt. Once in a while I put the apron on. Did have an offer a few weeks ago to wear less.. I had to remind the hostess I wasn't that type of demonstrator..

ChefBeckyD said:
Umm, We do. You can earn one just by turning in 2 shows April 1-15. There was one we could earn last year too - I've been wearing that one this whole past year. LOVE it!

Huh? Hadn't seen it. Maybe I skipped over it! I'll DEFINITELY have two shows then! WOOT :D

colegrovet said:
I wear jeans and a polo type shirt. Once in a while I put the apron on. Did have an offer a few weeks ago to wear less.. I had to remind the hostess I wasn't that type of demonstrator..

Haven't had that request yet!
LOL

I wear jeans in winter and capri's in summer. Sometimes I wear a logo shirt, but usually I wear a a dressier shirt. I never wear a PC apron because I don't like a full apron...and being short and petite, our aprons are big on me and I have to wrap the string around my waist and tie it in the front. So, I wear a waitress apron...black with 3 pockets. I can slip my towel in one pocket and if there is something I want to pass around I put it in the other pockets.

I think we should always look nice, but not so dressy that potential recruits think they have to go out and buy special clothes. I wouldn't wear sweats but I also wouldn't have a problem with another consultant wearing them...as long as they were clean and fit correctly. It would hurt our business to look slouchy and dirty.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefheidi2003
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • RMDave
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lcucinella
  • milkangel