• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's the Best Outfit for Attending Shows?

In summary, people wear different things to shows depending on the weather, time of day, and time of year. Some people wear sweaters or polo shirts, others wear jeans or khakis, and others wear Birkenstocks. Some people wear what is comfortable, and others wear what is more professional.
Hunter Mom
Someone on another thread commented about not wearing jeans for shows. I wondered, what DO people wear to shows?

I wear all sorts of things, depending on weather, time of day, time of year.
- Sweater (plain crewneck or vneck) or polo
- Jeans or khakis - pants in the winter, capris or nice shorts in the summer
- Birkenstocks. Of course, I wear these all the time. Some are dressy, others classic Birks.

I wear what is comfortable and depends on the crowd. I've gone to shows where I wore nice jeans, a nice pair of boots, and a dressy but casual shirt. No apron. But this was a crowd where we just hung out in the kitchen around the table. I like these shows!My usual "business" look is a pair of black dress slacks with black boots (have to wear them because the pants would drag the floor otherwise.I HATE that! Not all feet/backs can stand heels!) And I wear a nice white shirt (logo). It's not a very comfortable look for me- but it gets me through the show. Hard to get comfortable when you are on the fence between plus-sizes and non-plus sizes. (Plus, I'm cheap)

I wear jeans almost all the time. I mostly wear a black logo shirt or red sweater from pampered chef as I am not one to put my apron on at my shows. I feel like if I wear something that others would be comfortable in others might realize they could do my job too!

hcjeep said:
I wear jeans almost all the time. I mostly wear a black logo shirt or red sweater from pampered chef as I am not one to put my apron on at my shows. I feel like if I wear something that others would be comfortable in others might realize they could do my job too!

I feel the same way, although I do wear my apron so that I don't get something on my shirt/pants while I'm cooking. I tend to get something splattered on my otherwise. :D

I wear business casual - slacks or khakis (capris in the summer) and a nice top. I do wear comfy shoes. I have some slip on sketchers that are more of a dressier shoe than a tennis shoe.

I wear jeans - I only wear jeans as I tell them I have to dress up for work everyday and I am still working but can now wear jeans which I love! I will wear a nice shirt or logo wear and always my apron as I cannot afford to ruin my clothes and I am a slop.

I saw that same comment about the denim apron/no jeans and wondered the same thing. I think I have only worn jeans since I started (less than a year ago) and I had no intentions of changing. Seriously, dressing up more than that would really make this job less appealing to me. I always dress clean and neat, but it's always jeans.

Exactly what cmcchef said- I wear jeans because if I were on the other side thinking about joining possibly and weighing the pros and cons, dressing up would be a total con for me. Now I do dress nicely and I would dress up for something like a bridal shower, fundraiser demo or exhibit at a festival/fair but I tell my hosts that it will be a casual evening at their home show so the last thing I want to do is show up all fancy. I wear a solid shirt w/ my apron as I don't have and can't afford logowear just yet. I will get a nice polo or something when I can and wear that.

I was wondering the same thing... what do we all wear to shows. Since I started a year ago I'd always worn dress pants or khakis and a button down or sweater of sorts, my apron and flats/slippers... because I don't like to wear shoes in a host's house. But I noticed that my show average started going down and I felt like I wasn't comfortable with myself so I tried something just to see how it worked... I was doing a show for a gal in my networking group and I decided to wear nice jeans and a grey turtle neck and heels (which I normally wear in everyday life) I put my PC Chef hat pin on as well as my name tag. I wore my hair down instead of in a ponytail and did my make up a little darker than I normally do for shows. I just wanted to give being more myself a shot than the more business me. There were 2 people at the show and sales were at 250 when I left. I had another show the next week and I wore dress jeans and a button down with a sweater vest. Again sales were pretty high. So I guess my theory kinda worked, for me at least.

I found that when I am dressed more like myself, I am more personable and relateable to guests, which in turn has made me a better business woman and a better consultant. I will be adopting this new aproach for all future shows.

However, for vendor events and booths, it's still dress pants and logowear.

You know it's funny if you think about it. They give us a DENIM APRON, but why would I want to dress up to "business"-like. Being casual goes with the look, IMHO. And I never thought about it from the perspective of others thinking they can do what I do (not that I'm doing much!). That's it. Forget the stuffy stuff from now on! ;)

At every show, I wear my same uniform which looks just like my signature. Black pants, black crossfront logo shirt and denim apron. My biz cards, labels, order forms, facebook, everything I do has the same logo on it....they call it branding...people know exactly who I am when they come to a show or they see me posting out and about for facebook and say...hey...you look just like your avatar, label, etc. Works for me. I never have to wonder what to wear. I am comfortable...black is slimming LOL, andit is one less thing for me to stress out about!

esavvymom said:
You know it's funny if you think about it. They give us a DENIM APRON, but why would I want to dress up to "business"-like. Being casual goes with the look, IMHO. And I never thought about it from the perspective of others thinking they can do what I do (not that I'm doing much!). That's it. Forget the stuffy stuff from now on! ;)

Here Here!

As I stated on the other thread, I wear jeans to pretty much all of my shows with a PC logo shirt of some kind. I also wear comfortable shoes or boots, depending on the weather. Now, I never, ever look sloppy. I'm put together. My hair and makeup are done (not that I think every woman needs to wear makeup). I'm comfortable, which, I believe, makes my customers comfortable. If you're more comfortable in slightly dressier attire, then that's what you should wear. Take a cue from your host and customers. After all, this is your business.

I wear black or khaki pants/slacks and a white or black shirt and an apron. I have a lot of aprons so I rotate through them. I think the "uniform" is an important part of my business. It identifies me to the guests at a show. When I put it on, I am ready for business and it commands attention. I don't want people looking at myu clothes and judging me in any way. It does not matter what they think I make or waht class they think I am. I want to be able to connect with everyone at all levels at my shows. I recruited 24 people last year and I think the uniform is part of it. In every business, and I have worked for huge companies at a high corporate professional level, there is an expectation of what you are to present yourself as. you need to ask yourself what/who do you want to be and dress for the level above where you are now. that is an old business rule... so if you want to be a director dress like a leader. Want to be a NE, look around at conference, how do they present themselves? Copy who you want to be!

PCJenni, totally agree with you. In the various business classes I heard many times that you need to dress for the level of success you want. I beleive very much in that, but, in my community (especially in the winter) dressing fancy is black jeans. When I have done shows in Anchorage, I do wear my black slacks and a nice blouse, but for the most part, I wear my nice black jeans & blouse. Hair and makeup is always professional and nice looking.

PCJenni said:
... you need to ask yourself what/who do you want to be and dress for the level above where you are now. that is an old business rule... so if you want to be a director dress like a leader. Want to be a NE, look around at conference, how do they present themselves? Copy who you want to be!

I totally agree that it can help you give yourself the confidence to advance. And without confidence in yourself you won't succeed! ;)

However, I don't practice it! LOL Here in Japan, we have to have shoes that slip off easily since most Americans go by the Japanese tradition to slip off your shoes just inside the door. So I can't wear shoes that would require me sitting down to get them off. Any type of dress boots are out of the question for me.

As for attire, it's jeans and a logo shirt ... and sock feet! :D If I wanted to go for business casual, I'd have to buy a new wardrobe as NOTHING that I owned prior to 2 c-sections would fit. Due to the typical "c-section shelf" that we have after the procedure, I choose to wear longer shirts now to cover that shelf and my pants are 1 size larger.

If you don't own logo wear, it's a GREAT advertising investment!!! I now have enough shirts to wear a different one for 2 weeks straight. And I have various jackets for different weather. I pretty much wear logo wear every time I walk out my door now. ;)

Debates making joke about offering a girls night out type theme party where I wear a bowtie with a tuxedo collar and an apron. Refrains from making such a crude and off-color joke.

PCJenni said:
I wear black or khaki pants/slacks and a white or black shirt and an apron. I have a lot of aprons so I rotate through them. I think the "uniform" is an important part of my business. It identifies me to the guests at a show. When I put it on, I am ready for business and it commands attention. I don't want people looking at myu clothes and judging me in any way. It does not matter what they think I make or waht class they think I am. I want to be able to connect with everyone at all levels at my shows. I recruited 24 people last year and I think the uniform is part of it. In every business,and I have worked for huge companies at a high corporate professional level there is an expectation of what you are to present yourself as. you need to ask yourself what/who do you want to be and dress for the level above where you are now. that is an old business rule... so if you want to be a director dress like a leader. Want to be a NE, look around at conference, how do they present themselves? Copy who you want to be!

I grew up in the corporate world, I worked in that world, and I left that world for my kids. And yes, how you dress is a very important part of the corporate world. But no matter who you are and what you wear, someone is always going to be judging you, whether you like it or not and whether you believe it or not. And you have just passed a judgement on every other consultant who is busting their keister to promote, but because they don't look like the other NEs or Directors. Personally, I don't want to "fake it til I make it" and be copy.

I have 13 tattoos. When people look at me, the way I dress, how I act and carry myself, they would NEVER guess that I have even 1 tattoo. Even that is passing a judgement.

The beauty of PC is that we are given the tools to run our business as we see fit. This job is supposed to be fun and look fun. If you have fun in your khakis and apron and are a recruiting machine, so be it and hats off to you for your amazing efforts.

I'm sorry for stating my opinion, I'm sure I'll get some flack for it, but bring it on. This just really rubbed me the wrong way.

It's your business (and my business, her business, and his too.) Each of us gets to dress however we see fit.I never agonized over what to wear. If I am coming right from my 9-5 job, I will wear my business casual clothing. If it is a weekend or I've had enough time after work to go home and change, I may wear jeans. But for me, it's not a formula. And I don't think my crowd cares one lick about how I'm dressed. For those of you who had home shows, did you agonize over whether the consultant wore jeans or slacks? I never did! And my own "thing" is not about the pants (I find that kind of silly actually), it's about the shoes, bags, and jewelry. It's not just at my PC shows, but in my whole life, I always wear high-end jewelry and purses... and my shoes usually are high end as well. Not that I think anyone else should do this, it's my own quirk. You're allowed to find it silly. I think it stems from no one will ever know the label in my pants (with the exception of some designer jeans), but everyone will see the label on my purse, and they may well know the label on my shoes, the watch, how many diamonds are in my wedding band, etc. LOL. I am not well-to-do, but I do live in the richest county in America, and I do believe this conspicuous consumption is a reflection of that. I feel like I look more successful when I have these markers of success, like I guess some feel more successful when they are wearing business clothing. Whatever floats your boat! :D

magentablue said:
It's your business (and my business, her business, and his too.) Each of us gets to dress however we see fit.

I never agonized over what to wear. If I am coming right from my 9-5 job, I will wear my business casual clothing. If it is a weekend or I've had enough time after work to go home and change, I may wear jeans. But for me, it's not a formula. And I don't think my crowd cares one lick about how I'm dressed. For those of you who had home shows, did you agonize over whether the consultant wore jeans or slacks? I never did!

And my own "thing" is not about the pants (I find that kind of silly actually), it's about the shoes, bags, and jewelry. It's not just at my PC shows, but in my whole life, I always wear high-end jewelry and purses... and my shoes usually are high end as well. Not that I think anyone else should do this, it's my own quirk. You're allowed to find it silly. I think it stems from no one will ever know the label in my pants (with the exception of some designer jeans), but everyone will see the label on my purse, and they may well know the label on my shoes, the watch, how many diamonds are in my wedding band, etc. LOL. I am not well-to-do, but I do live in the richest county in America, and I do believe this conspicuous consumption is a reflection of that. I feel like I look more successful when I have these markers of success, like I guess some feel more successful when they are wearing business clothing. Whatever floats your boat! :D

It may be a quirk but it is definitely NOT silly! My shoes and handbags are the cornerstone of my wardrobe! They make or break an outfit. LOL

MB - there is NOTHING quirk about loving good shoes and accessories. Cinderella and Dorothy prove that one shoe can change a girl's life. :)

1. What is the dress code for Pampered Chef shows?

The dress code for Pampered Chef shows is business casual, with an emphasis on comfort. This means that you should avoid wearing overly formal or uncomfortable clothing, but still look professional and put-together.

2. Can I wear jeans to a Pampered Chef show?

Jeans are generally acceptable to wear to a Pampered Chef show, as long as they are clean and in good condition. However, it is recommended to avoid overly casual or ripped jeans, and to dress them up with a nice top or blazer.

3. Are there any specific colors or patterns to avoid?

There are no specific colors or patterns to avoid, but it is recommended to avoid overly loud or distracting prints. Stick to classic, neutral colors and patterns that are versatile and won't distract from the products.

4. Do I need to wear Pampered Chef-branded clothing?

No, it is not necessary to wear Pampered Chef-branded clothing to a show. However, if you have a branded apron or shirt, it can be a nice touch and show your affiliation with the company.

5. What type of shoes are appropriate for a Pampered Chef show?

Comfortable and practical shoes are recommended for a Pampered Chef show, as you will likely be on your feet for a while. Closed-toe shoes are preferred, and it is recommended to avoid high heels or uncomfortable shoes that may hinder your ability to move around and demonstrate products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Melissa78
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies