• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Cost Do I Put in for Taxes?

In summary, the person is almost finished entering their information into P3 for tax filing purposes and has a question regarding the cost of an item when filing under supplies. They are wondering if they should enter the value or what they paid for it. The expert advises to enter what was actually paid, as that is the true expense. The person also mentions the concept of depreciation, but the expert advises to follow the directions on Schedule C and consult with a tax advisor if needed. They also caution to make any errors in the IRS's favor and to seek advice from an experienced tax professional.
akrebecca
Silver Member
Almost done entering all my info into P3 in preparation for filing my taxes. Got a question that I did not think of last year. I think I know the answer but want to doublecheck. Tried looking on CS but I don't think I am coming up with the right words. Any way...here it goes.

When I am entering the cost of an item under supplies, do I put what I paid for it or the value? For example, I purchased some copy paper from Ye Olde Corner Store. The value is $3 but I paid $1.50 because it was on sale & I had a coupon. Do I put in $1.50 or $3?:confused:

You would have to put what you actually paid since that was your true expense.

That is what I was leaning towards. But since I took a couple accouting classes some years ago, the whole depreciation thing kept popping up. For the IRS they only care about the itmes that cost $$$ when it comes to depreciation-right? For example. my computer is being depreciated over a number of years and the cost shows up on IRS Form Idon'trememberwhat.

My best advice is consult with your tax advisor becasue IRS laws for this year's tax's have change significantly.

Paper does not loose it's value and does not depreciate. You should log what you actually paid.

You can not make the depreciation decisions. When you do your Schedule C, just follow the directions and it will walk you through the process on what you can & can not claim. When in doubt, always make the error in THEIR favor, never YOUR favor. If you are ever audited, you want them paying you more money, not you paying them more money. ;)

I agree, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a tax professional. And I'm talking someone who's been doing this for years. Not this season's hired help at H&R Block.

1. What cost do I put in for taxes?

The cost that you put in for taxes will depend on the specific tax form you are filling out. Generally, you will need to include any income or expenses that are relevant to the specific tax form you are using.

2. What if I am unsure about a cost for taxes?

If you are unsure about a cost for taxes, it is best to consult with a tax professional or refer to the instructions provided with the tax form. It is important to accurately report all income and expenses to avoid any potential issues with the IRS.

3. Can I deduct all of my expenses for taxes?

No, not all expenses are tax deductible. You can only deduct expenses that are considered necessary and ordinary for your specific business or profession. It is important to keep thorough records of all expenses and consult with a tax professional for guidance.

4. Do I need to include sales tax in my cost for taxes?

It depends on the specific tax form and state you are filing taxes in. Some states require sales tax to be included in the total cost for taxes, while others do not. Again, it is best to consult with a tax professional or refer to the instructions provided with the tax form.

5. Can I deduct my personal expenses for taxes?

No, personal expenses cannot be deducted for taxes. Only expenses that are directly related to your business or profession can be deducted. It is important to keep personal and business expenses separate to accurately report for taxes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• E R
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • NewtoMom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • JulieHaak