• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boost Your Business: How to Overcome Common Sales Obstacles

).People won't call you back. When they do, celebrate and do a little happy dance, because it's a rare thing. Just keep calling. :)
jmerda
Hello,
I really need help. I had a very successful vendor show a couple of weeks ago. Here's my problem. I got 6 people into my drawing for a free cooking show and had to leave messages for all of them. I left each one 3 messages all at different times of the day on 3 different days. I haven't received one phone call back! I specifically told these people it was for a free cooking show where I come to their home and cook for their friends and have a PC party. Also, I had a young lady interested in the business at a party I had on Saturday. I gave her a join us booklet and told her I'd call her Monday at 2. She agreed. Of course I got her voice mail. I tried again today and her phone said there was no voice mail set up. I just sent her an email.
Can you tell, I'm anti voice mail right now? GRRR!
I'm starting to take it personally, which I know is a NO-NO, but man! I'm not stalking these people. They gave me their information because they were interested and I feel like I'm chasing them all down. Someone give me some advice please? Is this typical? I'm trying so hard to grow my business and I feel like I take one step forward and two steps back.

I believe I first heard this from Belinda Ellsworth -

"It's not their job to call you, it's your job to call them."

People won't call you back. When they do, celebrate and do a little happy dance, because it's a rare thing. Just keep calling. :)

(and I try to always have them book the date at the event and leave with a host packet in their hand. Works out much better!)

Keep trying. And, it's that lovely tool called CALLER ID! They don't know your number, so they don't pick up (that's me...I do that.). Leave a voicemail with your message, and maybe don't tell them everything you are calling about! Ie- Don't tell them what a Free Cooking show is...just call and say "you won a free cooking show!" Leave it vague and mysterious enough they want to know more. If you tell them everything, they can decide whether they care to call you back or not. And if they don't want a free party, they are not going to pick up. (which personally, I hate that "gift"- it's a "strings attached" gift to me. I don't like getting "snookered". As a consultant, I know the benefits, but as a customer...no thanks.) But if they are curious, they just might after the realize that number is "the Pampered Chef lady".Also- maybe you could throw in a "Free Cooking show and a Free COOKBOOK at that show!". Just don't tell them that the Free Cookbook is Season's Best...or you could offer something more. But make it a bit more enticing perhaps? Even if it wasn't part of the original drawing.Good luck...keep trying.

Thanks Becky,
I had a wonderful April and things are slowing down now so I'm stressing a little. Do you leave messages at all then?

I think I'm doing ok at being vague Bobbi. Maybe not as well as I think though ;)
I was thinking about offering a free cookbook too.
It's funny you meantioned the Pampered Chef lady because I'm imagining people seeing my number come up and thinking, "oh don't answer, it's the pampered Chef lady, she's going to want something". LOL! Ridiculous right? I know people are busy, I just really need to get some parties on my calendar for May!

jmerda said:
I think I'm doing ok at being vague Bobbi. Maybe not as well as I think though ;)
I was thinking about offering a free cookbook too.
It's funny you meantioned the Pampered Chef lady because I'm imagining people seeing my number come up and thinking, "oh don't answer, it's the pampered Chef lady, she's going to want something". LOL! Ridiculous right? I know people are busy, I just really need to get some parties on my calendar for May!

Doubt it.... :D They likely don't know who you are....yet.
But I feel your pain.
Hey, at least you are picking up the phone!!! But I get why it's hard. When you do pick up the phone and you "feel rejected" (even though you haven't been), it makes the phone get that much heavier. Make yourself a rewards chart. After so many calls, reward yourself somehow!

I learned a very good lesson last year at a vendor show (not that this will help now, but in the future). I got 24 entries for my raffle (a $25 gift certificate, plus everyone wins my "consolation prize" of a free show). When I made my calls, and got voice mail, I left this message: "Hi Jane, this is Ruth with The Pampered Chef! I'm calling about my raffle you entered at the bazaar Saturday! Please call me back at....." After leaving 22 messages, I got 19 return phone calls. Everyone thought they'd won-and they did! (just not the $25 gift certificate!)

It is very true that it is OUR job to call them, not for them to call us. This particular message however was intriguing enough to get them to do my job for me;)

pchockeymom said:
I learned a very good lesson last year at a vendor show (not that this will help now, but in the future). I got 24 entries for my raffle (a $25 gift certificate, plus everyone wins my "consolation prize" of a free show). When I made my calls, and got voice mail, I left this message: "Hi Jane, this is Ruth with The Pampered Chef! I'm calling about my raffle you entered at the bazaar Saturday! Please call me back at....." After leaving 22 messages, I got 19 return phone calls. Everyone thought they'd won-and they did! (just not the $25 gift certificate!)

It is very true that it is OUR job to call them, not for them to call us. This particular message however was intriguing enough to get them to do my job for me;)

Question- how did they take it when you told them they won the Free Cooking show, vs the gift certificate? Just curious. Love the results though!

If you have their e-mail, send them a message and tell them the prize is good through (end of June, end of July, whatever but not 6 months out). Ask that if they don't want the prize to please let you know so you can award it to someone else. This will at least get them to respond to you so you know whether to keep calling or not.

esavvymom said:
Question- how did they take it when you told them they won the Free Cooking show, vs the gift certificate? Just curious. Love the results though!

Most thought they'd won and were a little disappointed (general response, "Aww shucks") they didn't get the gift certificate but liked the idea of a free show and the opportunity to get lots more than $25 in free stuff. I think I got 9 bookings from that one event. So much of it is the way you say it, your enthusiasm. I made the free cooking show sound like a much better prize than the gift certificate.

pchockeymom said:
Most thought they'd won and were a little disappointed (general response, "Aww shucks") they didn't get the gift certificate but liked the idea of a free show and the opportunity to get lots more than $25 in free stuff. I think I got 9 bookings from that one event. So much of it is the way you say it, your enthusiasm. I made the free cooking show sound like a much better prize than the gift certificate.

It really is! ;) Cool...thanks for sharing! I have a vendor event this weekend, and need to improve my follow-up.

that is a great idea, with the door prize and free cooking show! I think I'll use it. I don't like giving away huge prizes like this but this girl is feeling desperate!! :D
I did hear back from the girl that I spoke to at my party and she said her phone had been broken but does not want to sign right now. Wish I actually had a chance to talk to her because I think it would have gone better. Maybe next time.

I love doing booths and chatting with people. I have always done door prizes up until my last one. I may never do a door prize again! I have stacks of flimsy leads that I have no time to follow up on. This last batch I gained 35 new newsletter registrants, several leads for bookings and recruits. I, too, have left several messages, but I leave it at three, and I am done. My approach to this booth was to offer any passer-by a free recipe from the Pampered Chef. If they pause enough for conversation and take the card, I ask if they are familiar with PC, and would they like to receive my monthly newsletter that includes new recipes every month, or like to take a look at some of the new things PC has to offer (that I have displayed). If they stop and fill out my door prize slip (to sign up for the newsletter) I ask how long it has been since they've been to a party and we go from there. It was so great to get solid leads! If I don't hear back from them, I know they will get my newsletter in another week, and I gave out over 200 recipes with my information on it! I had enough in sales to cover the cost of my booth. When I have offered free parties in the past, they never ended up well attended or much in sales. The hosts were not really excited or motivated, just putting up with the prize to see what they might be able to get free.One tip I learned, though, listening to one of my downloads from a past National Conference, is one of the ladies talking about booths. All she leaves on her messages is, "Hi! This is ______________, we met at the fair last Saturday and I wanted to tell you you won the prize! Call me by Wednesday to claim it, or I will draw another name!"
That might be more helpful in getting those call backs!

Say Q-TIP! Q-TIP! Q-TIP!
Quite Taking It Personally! Then take several deep breathes and try for round 4.
In 99% of these cases it is NOT you or your fault!
So to answer your question, absolutely nothing. So stop banging your head on the wall and get back to business.

Wow - jmerda, you have awesome results in your lead generation - that's fantastic! Six show leads and a recruit lead from one event is tremendous. Next step - get industrious... Get another way to contact them, and do so. I have found that when you send a postcard to the address they gave, it gives you a bit more credibility than just 'that voice on the phone'. First step - get the exasperation out of your voice... it's not professional, and has nothing to do with them. They are busy. (Ever been busy yourself?) Purposely try at inconvenient times of day for you - try at 8am, at 10:30am, at 1pm, at 4:30pm and between 6-8pm. Keep your message the same. "Hi, Fran! This is Jaynie from the Pampered Chef calling about the drawing from Saturday's booth. So sorry to have missed you; I know you are busy. I'll call again around (mid morning / after lunch / late afternoon / this evening). Follow up. "The fortune is in the follow up!"Keep in mind - SW6... Some Will, Some Won't, So What, Stop Worrying, Someone's Waiting, So Who? It turns your anxiety into curiosity... a much more professional business tone. [ Religious Moment... I remember an awesome sermon I heard once - the opposite of love isn't hate, the opposite of love is fear. God tells us over and over in the Bible, "fear not". Angels told Mary, Joseph, Shepherds, Prophets. We have a propensity to fear as humans; what if...ABC and LMNOP? But--at our best, we are not fearful, perhaps our biggest fear is...Our Greatest Fear —Marianne Williamson
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens usOur deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?Actually, who are you not to be?You are a child of God.Your playing small does not serve the world.There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that otherpeople won't feel insecure around you.We were born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.—Marianne WilliamsonMarianne Williamson is participating in the "I Can Do It!" conference, Vancouver. May 5-6, 2012:
http://www.hayhouse.com/event_details.php?event_id=1686 — streaming video of the conference[Often said to have been quoted in a speech by Nelson Mandela. The source is Return to Love by Marianne Williamson, Harper Collins, 1992. —Peter McLaughlin]Readers who take Williamson's words to heart may develop adventurous lives. Steve job and Apple liked this possibility and made this video: Here's to the Crazy Ones and some may become Weavers of Freeorder] I'd suggest you continue making new appointments for them - for 3 times, then after that always take the high road and leave the message "hi, Fran! This is Jaynie, your Pampered Chef consultant at 555-xxxx and I am so sorry it didn't work out for us to meet on the phone at 1pm today. Please let me know what is a best time to reach you. You can reach me at 555-xxxx, or if it's easier, just email me at [email protected]. April is a fantastic month to host with the Mother's Day market tote and free bamboo items; plus a great free item for your guests. Talk with you soon! Jaynie 555-xxxx."
I learned from another sales job to leave your phone number at the beginning and ending of the message. Even with caller ID, it's a courtesy.Don't let fear have 'free rent' in your head. It's your business; you got the leads and permission to contact, now do so! Have fun with it and let us know how it works out!

I am in the midst of a vendor event right now and getting ready to start the call backs. I told the people at my booth that the drawing was for a free kitchen show in hopes of getting less dead leads. My question is, do any of you have a script for these call backs? Sometimes I get on the phone and just freeze up if I don't know what to say beforehand. We just moved here from out of state so I seriously need to get some shows on my calendar, but I don't want to sound desperate, any help?

CNCLAW said:
I am in the midst of a vendor event right now and getting ready to start the call backs. I told the people at my booth that the drawing was for a free kitchen show in hopes of getting less dead leads. My question is, do any of you have a script for these call backs? Sometimes I get on the phone and just freeze up if I don't know what to say beforehand. We just moved here from out of state so I seriously need to get some shows on my calendar, but I don't want to sound desperate, any help?

By filling out the prize slip, these people have given you PERMISSION to contact them! They are expecting you to call.

I’ve used these words:
 “Hi, Jane, this is ( ) with The Pampered Chef and we met at the fair last week. You are still a winner! I’m offering (a free show; a free product, discount, etc.) when you have your Cooking Show within the next (2 months)!”

The key is to be excited and make the offer sound special and exclusive.
(this is copied from the Oelmann team website...I've used these words for every booth I've done).

IF YOU GET VOICEMAIL... "Hi Jane, this is ( )with The Pampered Chef! I'm calling with the results of my raffle you entered on ( day)! Call me back right away at xxx-xxxx! Look forward to sharing my results!!"

Thanks for sharing your script PCHockeyMom!I need to follow up with several from last weekend. The prize slips someone had created for us to use had this lovely box that most people checked " Only call me if I won". *grrrr* I did NOT want to use that slip! The best one I've used has THREE questions - about the business, hosting cooking show and hosting catalog show...with just "Yes, No, Maybe". It doesn't ask for tons of info- so people were more willing to ANSWER.ANYWAY..... I was going to say, be sure you PRACTICE the script so it sounds natural too. I got a call today from another DS consultant. I applaud her for the bravery to follow up! It's more than I can do most of the time! :) I was polite of course, because I knew what she felt! I could also hear it in her voice. But I could tell she was going through a script....not terribly, but she got flustered when she obviously "missed something". I just smiled and quietly chuckled to myself, only because "Ive been there!"But practice a few times.

I agree- great suggestion. Text a good friend or someone on your team telling them you're going to call them to practice on, then call and practice on them! Then pick a couple names of people you remember that were particularly nice and call them. You'll build up your confidence in no time.

I am horrible at follow up, I hate the phone, and I know I could be doing better if I got at both of these. I want to share what happened when I did.. I did a vendor fair last September, had 5 shows hold from it. at the first show, someone signed, at the second show, 1 person showed besides the host and I was annoyed..because the host changed the time of the show and didn't tell me.. I had one outside order who said she wanted to have a show. That was in November. I tried for about 3 weeks to get the woman and then I gave up. Every once in awhile I would call her over the next couple months to no avail and I decided in March I would do 1 more phone call basically saying I am done stalking you call me if you are interested. not what people recommend I know but.....

Well she answered the phone, picked a date, and her show was $800 with three bookings AND she signed as a consultant and did her first show last night... I thought to myself as I read this thread... What if I had done my normal and thrown out her slip after the first few tries?
My goal today is to go thru my stack of slips again and see if I can get someone else.

What kind of script do you use when they didn't win the prize but offer the free show?

1. Why is my food burning in the oven?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a malfunctioning oven, incorrect temperature settings, or using the wrong type of bakeware. Make sure to preheat your oven to the recommended temperature and use the correct bakeware according to the recipe. Also, keep an eye on your food and if it seems to be cooking too quickly, lower the temperature or cover the dish with aluminum foil.

2. Why is my food not cooking evenly?

This could be due to overcrowding in the pan or using unevenly sized ingredients. Make sure to leave enough space between each piece of food in the pan to allow for even cooking. If using different sized ingredients, cut them into similar sizes to ensure they cook at the same rate.

3. Why is my food sticking to the pan?

This could be due to not using enough oil or using the wrong type of pan. Make sure to use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan before adding your food. Also, use a non-stick pan or a well-seasoned cast iron pan to prevent sticking.

4. Why is my dough not rising?

There are a few possible reasons for this. It could be due to expired yeast, too cold or too hot of an environment for the dough to rise, or not enough time for the dough to rise. Make sure to check the expiration date of your yeast and follow the recipe's instructions for the ideal temperature for dough rising. If your dough is still not rising, try giving it more time or using a different type of yeast.

5. Why is my food not coming out as flavorful as the recipe?

This could be due to not using enough seasoning or not following the recipe accurately. Make sure to taste your food as you cook and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Also, make sure to follow the recipe's instructions precisely, including measurements and cooking times, to ensure the best flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Tracy99
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Bren706
Replies