• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Cookie Press: What Went Wrong with My First Batch?

well, until they are the size and shape that I want them to be.So, basically, you just have to use your own judgement and experience when it comes to using a cookie press. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it's not so great. You just have to experiment a little and find what works best for you.
Liquid Sky
Used the new cookie press for the first time a few mins ago. The cookies looked really nice when pressed onto the cookie sheet. When I cooked them they became blobs of.....i dunno...dough blobs. It's not like you can easily tell what the shapes are, esp. if you were not the person who made them.

Is this "normal"? I am figuring not....what am I doing wrong? We don't have to use any specific cookie dough are we? I mixed up a Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix and used that in the press.

You have to use the recipe on the product card that came with the cookie press. ;)

Sheila said:
You have to use the recipe on the product card that came with the cookie press. ;)

ya you have to use recipes that are specifically written for cookie presses. It has to do with the consistency of the dough. There's the one that came with the press on the white care instructions card thingy and there are others out there.

Ah....I figured I'd could only use the recipe that came with the u&cg. Hmmm...maybe I should pay more attention to those things. LOL

I've had great luck with the cake mix recipe I found on here!

When I used mine I had to remember to just turn a 1/4 of a turn. Otherwise it will be a blob. Good Luck

Made some p. Butter ones the other day and they were great. Use a entire pillsbury ref. Sugar cookie dough and mix together 1/2 cup p. Butter. Whole thing fits inside press and works great!

smspamperedchef said:
Made some p. Butter ones the other day and they were great. Use a entire pillsbury ref. Sugar cookie dough and mix together 1/2 cup p. Butter. Whole thing fits inside press and works great!

Now THIS sounds Easy Enough....:D

I have found too that if you use your stone you can not reuse the stone till it cools as the dough wont stick.

I pull out all of my cookie sheets and stones and circulate them ... once the first ones cool down, use them again. I also found it helpful to add a bit of water to the PC Spritz recipe on the card ... it really is all about the "perfect " consistency or they get globby ... :)

I did a roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough tonight- to make sure it worked before a demo tomorrow. It worked just fine- now if I did too much of a turn (1/3 vs 1/4) then I pressed out just a tad too much and there was less shape-definition. But otherwise, they seemed to work ok. My dough was REALLY soft too...so that I'm sure didn't help. But I was tickled that I could make a shaped cookie without the work! I'm going to do it for my demo tomorrow- and depending on how they turn out, I'll be sure to explain the 'tricks' to the customers.

sometimes, to preserve a cookie's shape, you can put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes before baking. Press the cookies onto parchment sheets and then you can just trade out sheets when the pans are ready. Good luck!:thumbup:

Thanks for all the tips! I am excited to try it again with a more suitable dough. I think the sugar cookie dough I used today was too buttery, which made the cookies spread a lot while cooking. I'll try the pre-mixed, refrigerated dough and the Spritz dough next time.

I used the Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough today at my KITK and everyone loved it! I could tell them that the 32 oz one is on sale at the Walmart here in town and makes 60 cookies! The kids decorated them with red or green sprinkles and icing if they wanted. The snowmen turned out so cute! I sold 4 Cookie Presses today since everyone thought they were so adorable!

I don't know if this will help since you were using a mix...

But I have a very old cookie press (non-pc - all metal) that is just like the new one that PC just came out with -maunal turn crank.

I have always been able to use various cookie recipes that have been handed down in our family with no problem - so I am not anticipating any problems with our new cookie press. In fact, I can't wait to try it this year!

But, here's what we have always done:

We always use the minimum amount of flour (or a little under) that the recipe calls for and press a test cookie and bake it. If it spreads too much, I add a little more flour to the dough and do another test cookie. I do this until they bake and hold their shape. It is time consuming - but I usually only waste a few cookies.

I also wonder if sometimes moisture in the air might affect the amount flour that I need to add.

1. Why did my cookie press not work at all?

This could be due to several reasons. First, make sure that you have assembled the cookie press correctly according to the instructions. Also, check that the dough is at the right consistency and not too stiff. If the dough is too hard, it may not be able to pass through the press. Additionally, check that the disks are securely attached and not clogged with dough.

2. Why did my cookies come out misshapen or uneven?

This could be caused by uneven dough consistency or incorrect pressing technique. Make sure the dough is evenly mixed and not too soft or too stiff. Also, practice pressing the dough onto a flat surface before using the cookie press. This will help you get a feel for how much pressure to apply and how quickly to move the press.

3. Why are my cookies sticking to the press?

This could be due to the dough being too sticky or the press not being greased enough. Try adding a little flour to the dough or lightly greasing the disks and press with cooking spray or oil before pressing the cookies. You can also chill the dough for a few minutes before using the press to help prevent sticking.

4. Why are my cookies breaking or falling apart?

If your cookies are breaking or falling apart, it could be due to the dough being too dry. Try adding a little more liquid to the dough, such as water or milk, to help bind the ingredients together. You can also try pressing the cookies onto a greased baking sheet instead of directly onto the baking pan to prevent them from breaking while transferring.

5. Why are my cookies not coming out of the press smoothly?

If your cookies are not releasing smoothly from the press, it could be due to the dough being too soft or the disks not being greased enough. Make sure the dough is chilled and firm before pressing, and lightly grease the disks and press with cooking spray or oil. You can also try using a non-stick baking mat or parchment paper to help the cookies release more easily.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • DMB75
  • Products and Tips
Replies