• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Connecting with Welcome Wagon: Denver, PA

In summary, Julie was trying to get in touch with the Welcome Wagons and was unsuccessful. Julie then decided to try to get in touch with the local realtor, which was a better idea. Julie will be participating in a kids fair this weekend and is trying to increase bookings by 20%.
pcjulie
I was wondering if any of you can tell me how to get in touch with the local Welcome Wagons. It's not something you find in the phone book. Also, if I ever do get intouch with them, what do you give away? Thanks!

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

"Welcome Wagon" is an official organization. National, maybe? I found their website at www.welcomewagon.com. Many towns have a "generic" version of this that isn't as expensive to advertise with. Maybe do a google search with your town's name and the word "welcome" or "new neighbors" or something like that. Hope that helps! It's a good form of advertising if it's not too expensive. When I did it, I just did a nice flyer highlighting points on hosting and the consultant opportunity. I also offered a $10 discount on any individual orders and an extra 10% off in addition to hosting benefits when they host a show. Only one person took me up on that. I can say that when I was new to our area about 18 months ago, we had a visit from one (that's how I found out about them and began advertising) and I got this pile of stuff and coupons from area businesses. To be honest, it sat in a big pile for a long time and I forgot about it. So unless you have the time to follow up with all of the people that you'll get on the list they should give to you, it's not worth it. That's why I stopped doing it after about 10 months because I just didn't have the time to call all the names. If you've got the time, it's great practice calling people and talking about PC with them. THe service I did this through was nice because they only gave my info to people who said they wanted it, so most likely they at least had some interest in PC. And I only got charged from the "visits" where people accepted my flyer.

Hope that helps! :)

Julie,

I became a Welcome Wagon sponsor last year (my first year with PC) and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. :( I spent so much money and during my 6 month contract and only ever got one booking out of it. I didn't get any booking or recruiting leads from that party. I think the problem with Welcome Wagon is that you have to pay for each visit weather the customer is interested or not. I know that pamperedbecky is involved with something else where you only pay for the visit if the customer is interested and takes your info. You do get a list of names and address each month. But I find that getting leads over the phone with a total stranger is really hard. I feel like a telemarketer. :eek: You really do need that face to face contact.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience with you.

Kelly

Better than Welcome WagonProbably better to find fairs / home shows and pay for a table/booth; you'll get more leads, and People Know The Pampered Chef!

I did it for a whileover a eyar anyway, I only got any results if I did followup. Every name & address that I got meant at least 3 phone calls, I averaged 30 a month but it was a lot of work, plus I paid to let the hostess try to explain Pampered Chef & sell it to them. I had two welcome wagon ladies, the response I got from WW1's clients were great, but the second lady's customers were always shocked to hear from me... I figured that #2 wasn't representing me the way that I expected. It is a very expensive option. You would be better off to go around the neighbourhood every week to see who is new, or to let a local realtor know that you have a gift (10% off) to all of their new homeowners. If the realtor wants to pitch in & give them a mini spatula or something under $10, then that is even better. Or get in tough with local neighbourhood groups, I am sure that they have a new to the neighbourhood package too.

Esther

Help!!! I need advice... last month I decided to really put an effort into promoting myself and my business. I am going to impliment this in my host coaching, shows and marketing myself. I have put signage on my car. Next weekend I am participating in a booth at a kids fair which expects more than 10,000 people to attend.

Today I met with a rep from Welcome Wagon and I signed a contract for a year for $96 a month where I get a half-page ad in the book they send every month to a local neighborhood, plus I get a list of contacts it is being sent to, and my coupon/ad is being sent to them again after 90 days. I also get put on their Web sites (name and info only, not Web site) but I most likely will opt out of that.

I will have to have two shows a month to pay for this and to have money to reinvest back into the business. My husband thinks I am nuts and I should not have done it. (I didn't really tell him until afterwards.) The consultant did give me her cell phone number. If I decided to opt out I have until first thing Monday morning or the whole thing is going through. She told me she would throw in another two months worth of names in for free to me and she said she would do a cooking show with me in November!

I need to know if I should take this risk. I know if I want this to work I have to follow up with every single lead that I get ... call them and introduce myself, ask them if they looked through the book and if they want to take advantage of the coupon (I offered $10 off a $60 purchase and advertised free gifts they get with a show.) I chose a neighborhood that is higher-middle class, where the income is slightly higher and the residents are more of the average age of the people who I have done shows for.

Ok Cheffers, I need your words of wisdom! I am torn! I want to take this risk, but the practical Capricorn in me is going EEEEEEK. HELP!!!

sailortena said:
... last month I decided to really put an effort into promoting myself and my business. I am going to impliment this in my host coaching, shows and marketing myself. I have put signage on my car. Next weekend I am participating in a booth at a kids fair which expects more than 10,000 people to attend.

Today I met with a rep from Welcome Wagon and I signed a contract for a year for $96 a month where I get a half-page ad in the book they send every month to a local neighborhood, plus I get a list of contacts it is being sent to, and my coupon/ad is being sent to them again after 90 days. I also get put on their Web sites (name and info only, not Web site) but I most likely will opt out of that.

I will have to have two shows a month to pay for this and to have money to reinvest back into the business. My husband thinks I am nuts and I should not have done it. (I didn't really tell him until afterwards.) The consultant did give me her cell phone number. If I decided to opt out I have until first thing Monday morning or the whole thing is going through. She told me she would throw in another two months worth of names in for free to me and she said she would do a cooking show with me in November!

I need to know if I should take this risk. I know if I want this to work I have to follow up with every single lead that I get ... call them and introduce myself, ask them if they looked through the book and if they want to take advantage of the coupon (I offered $10 off a $60 purchase and advertised free gifts they get with a show.) I chose a neighborhood that is higher-middle class, where the income is slightly higher and the residents are more of the average age of the people who I have done shows for.

Ok Cheffers, I need your words of wisdom! I am torn! I want to take this risk, but the practical Capricorn in me is going EEEEEEK. HELP!!!

If you are if-y about doing this then try catering to a local business first. The personal interaction is best, you never know what the people that get this welcome wagon do with the information they recieve.
Call a local business and say
"HI, I'm ____ your local PC consultant. I am servicing my local businesses and you won a pampering for the day. Now I need to know how many people are in your office so I can bring the right amount of goodies. (Get the name of the receptionist and on the day you bring the food and catalogs say...) Hi so and so receptionist, here is the salad with what ever recipe you brought (If you bring it in PC-ware tell them you will be back to get it the next day) I am leaving some catalogs for you, I'll tell you what _____, if you gather 5 or 7 orders I'm going to give you a really nice free gift and an unlimited discount on anyting you want in the catalog."
Set a date to go back with in a week. It's cheaper then $96 a month and you get personal interaction with your furture "business partners". Plus if that receptionist does get those orders and others see and hear what she/he got. Someone is more likely to want what they can't have and book with you.

I will try that as well. With this Welcome Wagon thing I end up paying like $1.50 a lead. They say it really works. I really want to do this, and I also don't. Right now I am thinking, I would kick myself if I don't try it. And then I am thinking ... wait! It's really expensive since I don't really have a busy business right now. I also think that I can deduct the advertising expense from my 2006 taxes. (I have to pay up front. $1,152 for an entire year ... $96 a month.) Arrrrgh :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sailortena said:
I will try that as well. With this Welcome Wagon thing I end up paying like $1.50 a lead. They say it really works. I really want to do this, and I also don't. Right now I am thinking, I would kick myself if I don't try it. And then I am thinking ... wait! It's really expensive since I don't really have a busy business right now. I also think that I can deduct the advertising expense from my 2006 taxes. (I have to pay up front. $1,152 for an entire year ... $96 a month.) Arrrrgh :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Whooo, that's a little steep! But I guess with one lump sum, it'll seem that way. Too bad they won't let you do a contract for less than a year. When I did it, I just tried it for 3 months first and that was my contract. I ended up donig it longer and personally felt it was a waste of money for me. I didn't have the time to follow up and call each person. My program was different because I only got charged if the person wanted my info. There was no program booklet though so that was different.

Looking back, (and having moved myself about two years ago), the last thing I really wanted to focus on during that hectic time was looking through various information that was brought to me regarding area businesses. It went in a big pile that I never took the time or effort to go through. I imagine most people are the same way. The info gets put away and unless you call them at the right time, they're not going to be thinking about hosting or ordering products unless you catch them at the right time. I think joining a chamber of commerce would be a better way to network and market yourself. Mine is about $350 for the year (although I haven't done it yet) and there are monthly meetings activities where we can meet with the rest of the group and get our names out there. Or think about joining a leads group....I forget the name of the big one, but there have been many posts about it a while back.

Just do a search in the option up there on the menu and type in "leads group" and see what comes up. Then you can see if that is in your area. Good luck!

Personal WelcomeWhen our good friends move to town, I went around to the businesses and collected punch cards, menus, business cards, phone book, etc... and placed them in a basket (including my own) with PC coffee (one of her favorites)!

She was so grateful that I took the time to make it so personal for them! :D

While I was collecting for her, I dropped off my buisness magnet cards (everyone loves magnets -they go right onto everyone's fridges! I find that business cards just end up in the garbage!), flyers, cats or mini-cats.

And yes, keep track of the mileage while running around! Even going to the Post Office! Speaking of the PO, pre-purchase the Flat Rate stamps w/the Flat Rate Envelopes for your Host Packets -it will save you time running to the PO! :cool:

I decided not to do it. I called the rep first thing Saturday (and emailed her too) to cancel. She tried to twist me around and I felt stupid because I pretty much fell for her easygoing sales pitch. I am glad I didn't spend all that money.Thank you for every one's ideas and thoughts. I can think of a lot better (and cheaper) way to reach people with advertising if I really wanted to!! I looked online at more than 100 ways to get bookings and I sent out emails to the local university's Greek organizations to see about possibly doing a fundraiser for a sorority or fraternity (plus teach these college kids how to cook!) And I found a couple newcomers clubs and emailed them as well. (It's a start, at least.)I am going to see how that fair this weekend pans out before doing anything more drastic ... and if the fair event falls through (I haven't gotten a total confirm from my director) I have 250+ full-color post cards I had made (for CHEAP!) with a recipe and my info on the back I can put on doors in my neighborhood with specials. I also had some magnets made for the fair (not biz card magnets) with a cute tag line on it with my name and phone number.

I was tempted too...But I too backed out on trying it. It sounds really good but the cost would have just been too much for me starting out. Our organization requires you put a small gift, and an offer to receive something else for free when they contact you plus you had to pay $3 per basket and they do like 30 baskets a month. Some of the levelheads on here helped me see that this probably wasn't a great investment. Also since I was the recipient of a basket and I basically never touched it again after the initial pilfering through it, I felt the response wouldn't be good.

I think you made a good decision sailortena not to put out that kind of money.
And the ideas you all are sharing on making business contacts is great. Thanks!

Also if you have a small town newspaper like we do around here, there was a group my husband was involved with when we were doing another DS company, they met once a week in the mornings at a coffeeshop and shared about their business. It was a Networking group.

Joining the Chamber of Commerce is another good idea. Ours is $100 for the year and you get the mailing list of every member as well as monthly meetings.

Shoot even joining a health club would be cheaper than the Welcome Wagon deal! You could work out, be in better health, and make contacts at the same time!

Kris

Glad I read thisWow...

I am sooo glad I read this thread.

I was aproached about welcome wagon too, and it was very tempting. The thing that made me hesitate was that you are locked in to a 1 year contract. I would have had to pay $2.75 per basket plus give something to put into the basket. It sounded like a great idea, to get a list of leads every month but I too realize now that it would probably have been a waste of time and money. The thing is, when I do a table somewhere I am meeting these people who have voluntarily filled out a slip, and I ALWAYS ask if it's alright to follow up in a few days, if they say no, I don't call. Here however I would be doing unsolicited calling which I think would be harder.

Perhaps if it came with a guarantee that you get 2-3(?) shows a month it would be different. But lets face it, who could garuntee that.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the input

I am so glad you guys are hereI started reading this thread thinking WOW what a way to get leads, now I thinking Im doing better at what Im doing. Something I came up while handing out flyers yesterday.

In the Spring when it gets warmer Im going door to door (like the avon lady) introducing myself in the neighborhoods on our road. Asking if they would like a catalog. I plan on making up a little note card for those that are not home saying something like, "Hi Neighbor, sorry I missed you at home, My name is... I am the local Pampered Chef Consultant, I will come back at another time, if you get a chance to contact me before I come back that would be great. My # is_________ or e-mail ______________". Havent decided which to use yet. What do you guys think?

1. How can I connect with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA?

To connect with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA, you can reach out to their local representative or visit their website to find contact information. You can also attend local events or participate in community activities to network and connect with Welcome Wagon representatives.

2. What is the purpose of Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA?

Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA is a community-based organization that aims to provide information and resources to new residents in the area. They welcome newcomers and help them become familiar with the local community and businesses.

3. How can I get involved with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA?

There are several ways to get involved with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA. You can become a local sponsor and have your business featured in their welcome packages for new residents. You can also volunteer at their events or join their membership program to support their efforts in welcoming new residents to the community.

4. What benefits do I get from connecting with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA?

Connecting with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA can provide several benefits for businesses and individuals. For businesses, it can help increase brand awareness and reach potential customers. For individuals, it can provide networking opportunities and help them become more involved in the local community.

5. Are there any fees associated with connecting with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA?

There may be fees associated with becoming a local sponsor or joining their membership program. However, attending events or networking with Welcome Wagon representatives does not typically have any fees. You can contact their local representative for more information on specific fees and opportunities to connect with Welcome Wagon in Denver, PA.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• noelskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
noelskitchen
  • pcjulie
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pcjulie