• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cigarette Smoke Retention in Stoneware: A Strange Inquiry

I guess a follow-up question would be is there anything (other than baking soda) that would take the odor out?In summary, some customers have experienced their stoneware retaining smells, such as cigarette smoke or fish, even after cleaning. Suggestions for removing the smell include soaking the stone in white distilled vinegar or using a baking soda and water paste. It is possible for stoneware to absorb smells from a smoker's home. Some customers have had success with removing odors, while others have had to throw away the stoneware.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I had a customer ask me a strange question. Will your stoneware retain the smell of cigarette smoke? The lady that had her stone had it for 3 or 4 days before it was delivered to her and she says the stone itself smells like cigarette smoke. I can see where the cardboard box might retain some smell, but I didn't see how it would affect the stone that much. She said she has had it soaking for 3 days and can't get the smell out of it. Has anyone come across this before?

I haven't, but I must say,
that is disguisting! I wonder how a stone would even soak up cigg. smoke, being that it absorbs when hot :confused:

Woops, sent too soon.
Hope you get some answers!

I haven't heard of cigarette smoke smell, but I just recently had a past host say she cooked fish on her stone and then baked cookies the next day after cleaning the stone and the cookies tasted like fish-can you imagine!

I was truely stunned of the fish smell since, that's all I have been told is that you can even cook fish and the smell would be gone after you clean your stone. She also has told me that White Distilled Vinegar gets the smell of fish out, so maybe it would work for your situation-good luck.

PC1 said:
I haven't heard of cigarette smoke smell, but I just recently had a past host say she cooked fish on her stone and then baked cookies the next day after cleaning the stone and the cookies tasted like fish-can you imagine!

I was truely stunned of the fish smell since, that's all I have been told is that you can even cook fish and the smell would be gone after you clean your stone. She also has told me that White Distilled Vinegar gets the smell of fish out, so maybe it would work for your situation-good luck.
I did the same thing in my Deep Dish Baker, then made one of those desserts with a brownie base in it and I didn't taste fish at all. I usually let my stones soak for a while though before I really go at it and scrape them. Especially for something big like fish or a lasagne or something.

She could always try the baking soda/water paste and see if that helps too.

I almost think it is all in her head. She seems kind of high maintenance anyway. She just had that attitude when I talked with her.

Truth be told, I believe the woman about the smoke smell. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with the stoneware because there isn't. But if a home has heavy smokers in it, the smell of smoke is going to permeate everything in that home....cookware included.

My 15 year old son lives half the week with his dad, step mother, and step grandmother....all of whom are heavy smokers. My husband and I quit smoking several years ago. As soon as my son comes to my home he has to take a shower and change clothes because we can't stand the smell.

I don't know what the woman could do to get the smell out but the ideas mentioned already make good sense to me.

Good luck with that.

Smokey StonewareYES, stoneware can retain smoke smell. My mother and father smoked for years and when my mom passed away my sisters and I (who do not smoke) all divided up the stoneware, as dad didn't want it.

Well everytime I'd open my cupboard where I kept my stoneware after I put mom's in smelled awful of smoke (not in boxes, just the stones) and I finally had to take them all out and clean them all (some were very seasoned) and do the baking soda paste on them, REPEATEDLY for a couple of days. Finally smell was gone.

My one sister noticed the same right away and did the same, our other sister doesn't do the cooking, her hubby does, and he noticed the smell and threw the stones away :eek: as he didn't see how you could "clean" them without putting soap on them!

So your hostess or customer is NOT crazy, advise her to THROW the boxes away and do a baking soda paste on them and let it sit 20-30 minutes; rinse and do it again and again until smell is gone.

HTH,

Lisa

Your host isn't crazyI had a Host who painted her kitchen cupboards and put her stone back in with everything else. Bad news. Stone absorbed the paint smell. I suggested the baking soda treatment but I think she ended up having to throw the stone out. So, for all of you painting your kitchen cabinets. . .you've been warned.:eek:

What about cooking crecent rolls/biscuits/bacon or hamburgers on the stone? Won't those pull the smoke smell out?

In regards to various smoke issues... I just did a show last night where there was the stale smell of cigarettes in the house when I got there and then right after my presentation was over, the host quickly lit up and her live in boyfriend as well. Needless to say, all my PC stuff is airing out in the garage, paperwork included and fortunately, my stone didn't soak up the scent too badly and since it sat in the trunk of my car in the cold air last night, it had time to air out on its own.

I also have the thrill of having my FedX man (who reminds me of someone who may be out on parole, he is very scary!!) deliver all my PC stuff reeking of heavy smoke everytime I get something. It really sucks. I don't want to report him for fear he would retaliate somehow if he was reprimanded or worse, fired as a result but honestly, I don't think FedX should allow their employee drivers to smoke. Can you imagine our hosts opening up boxes that reek of smoke all the time?? Ugg. I was a smoker myself and yes, the smell bothers me more now than ever, especially when I have to try to do a show and can't breathe or receive merchandise that reeks of smoke.

Additionally, I also baked fish in my stoneware and had no problem with it retaining any fishy odor the next time I cooked or baked in it.

I would think that it would be completely safe to soak it in hot water per usual and then if it still smells, use freshly cut lemons and rub them over the stone to get the odor out. Vinegar would be great too and of course, the baking soda should absorb any odor if you made up a paste with hot water and let it on it for a little while.

Fedx Up In Smoke?
chefdianne said:
I also have the thrill of having my FedX man (who reminds me of someone who may be out on parole, he is very scary!!) deliver all my PC stuff reeking of heavy smoke everytime I get something. It really sucks. I don't want to report him for fear he would retaliate somehow if he was reprimanded or worse, fired as a result but honestly, I don't think FedX should allow their employee drivers to smoke. Can you imagine our hosts opening up boxes that reek of smoke all the time??

Dianne,

I'm having the same problem with the shipments to my house. I'm an ex-smoker too so very sensitive. I'm not sure FedX would do anything ... my understanding is that the people who are handling our shipments are independent contractors. They own their own trucks. While I wish FedX would tell them they can't smoke around the merchandise, I'm not sure it works that way. Sure miss my smoke-free UPS stuff.

Jeanine,

I sure didn't know that about being an independent contractor and all. Thank you so much for giving me that information. Now I definitely will not be making the call to report him. You can imagine what my microfiber dishcloths smelled like when they arrived a few weeks back. PU. I don't want to come off like being super ex-smoker woman because I know I used to love smoking and now I know what I used to smell like but being an ex-smoker sure does have the disadvantage of being super sensitive to the smell anymore.

vinegar gets rid of the smell of smoke as well as many other things

If it was just delivered to her why don't you do an adjustment and get her a new one- shipped directly to her of course!

I had a guest tell me that she left her stone in the oven while using the broiler, and now everything tastes smoky. I told her to try cleaning it with a baking soda and water paste. Any other suggestions.

I too hate it when my packages come in smelling like smoke. When are our men is brown? They didnt polute our packages.

My mom gave me a rectagle baker a couple of years ago, after I started selling PC. She prob. had it for 10 years and never used it. She and my Dad smoked tons in the house and ANYTHING she ever gave me reeked of smoke. I threw out the box, and set the stone in our garage for about a month with balled up newspaper in it. (Newspaper absorbs odors) I just changed the paper every few days. Finally, the smell was gone. I would think that the baking soda paste should work on her stone, since it wasn't soaking up those odors for years!

BTW, smoke gets into EVERYTHING! Including frozen food, and sealed boxed food items. My mom passed away in June, and we pretty much had to throw away ALL food items, unless they were in cans. What a waste! I can remember my mom giving me some Girl Scout cookies a few years back. They were my favorites, the peanut butter sandwich cookies. They were new, sealed in the box, and she only had them in her house for about a week. I popped an entire one in my mouth, and about lost my cookies! (literally!!) I had to spit it out...it tasted like I was eating a ciggarette. Well, what I would imagine a ciggarette would taste like! Eeewwww!

So, anyhow, I doubt your customer is being overly picky. If you are sensitive to the smell of smoke, you notice it VERY easily!

What is "cigarette smoke retention" in stoneware?

Cigarette smoke retention in stoneware refers to the lingering smell and taste of cigarette smoke that can be absorbed by porous stoneware materials, such as clay or ceramic. This can occur when stoneware is exposed to cigarette smoke for an extended period of time.

Can cigarette smoke retention be harmful?

While there is no definitive research on the health effects of cigarette smoke retention in stoneware, it is generally recommended to avoid exposing food or drinks to cigarette smoke as it can potentially add chemicals and toxins to the food.

How can I remove cigarette smoke retention from stoneware?

There are a few methods that can help remove cigarette smoke retention from stoneware. One option is to soak the stoneware in a mixture of hot water and white vinegar for several hours. Another method is to scrub the stoneware with a mixture of baking soda and water. It may take multiple attempts to fully remove the smoke smell and taste.

Can I still use stoneware that has cigarette smoke retention?

Technically, stoneware with cigarette smoke retention can still be used for cooking and baking. However, it is recommended to avoid using it for food or drinks that are highly sensitive to smell and taste, as the cigarette smoke remnants may affect the flavor. It is best to thoroughly clean the stoneware before using it for any food or drink.

Is there a way to prevent cigarette smoke retention in stoneware?

The best way to prevent cigarette smoke retention in stoneware is to avoid exposing it to cigarette smoke in the first place. If you are a smoker, try to smoke outside or in a designated area away from any stoneware. Additionally, storing stoneware in an airtight container or bag can also help prevent smoke from seeping into the material.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• christyh
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
Chef Mary Rose
  • kcjodih
  • Products and Tips
Replies