• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Weird Chemical Smell/Taste From Stoneware

In summary, the conversation revolved around a strange smell and excess oil/liquid substance on a small stoneware bar pan after baking Pillsbury grands biscuits. The person also noticed a funny taste in the biscuits and suspected that the pan may have been cleaned with something other than regular dish soap. Others suggested that it could be a reaction to the self-cleaning oven or a possible danger due to chemicals in the pan. Ultimately, it was recommended to contact the HO test kitchens for advice on how to proceed.
mrshamel3808
Gold Member
I just baked some Pillsbury grands biscuits on my small stoneware bar pan. I noticed while it was cooking I started smelling this weird chemically smell. I used the oven last night to cook a pot roast in the DCB and there was no smell so I knew it wasn't the oven. When I took them out of the oven, there seemed to be an excess of oil/liquid substance on the pan. I've cooked biscuits before on the large bar pan and never noticed this and I cooked another batch just now on the cookie sheet and there was no smell. The 2nd batch was from the same package too so it wasn't just a bad package. I tasted one of the ones from the bar pan and they even had a slightly funny taste. I don't remember specifically the last time I used the small bar pan but I know it wasn't THAT long ago and I've never had this happen before. Any ideas what it could be from and/or how I should clean it to prevent it from happening again?

I think you should call HO test kitchens, or whomever, and see what they say. I have never had any problems with smell or taste, and also rarely use the small bar pan.

Is it possible that a spouse or family member cleaned your stone with something they shouldn't have used?

That's what I was wondering....it's not the oven, not another piece of stoneware, not that batch of biscuits, so it has to be the small pan.

Right, I haven't used it in a while so my husband possibly did something weird to it...but all we have is regular dish soap. We don't even use non-stick spray in our house. I washed it with soap and hot water thinking maybe that'd help and it still has the weird smell. I'll probably try baking soda paste before contacting the HO.

This post was so long ago but I was wondering if a solution was found. I just used my stone for the first time and noticed the "chemical" smell while seasoning it with cresant rolls. When I opened the oven the stone had black smoke coming from it even thou the rolls were still raw. when I tried it a second time the same thing happened. The stone now has a heavy smell of chemicals like oven cleaner which I have never used in my oven. Which was brand new when I moved into the house. Do you think it could have had a reaction to the self clean oven?. It kind of smelled like that also.

Throw it away immediately. This smell could be very dangerous and consist very harmful chemicals. There are a lot of cases when women didn't pay attention at such smells from pans griddles continued to breathe it. After this, they noticed that they have problem with hair, bones and even decreased muscle mass, but they didn't even think to associate it with the smell from the frying pan. I am doctor and when I see such situation, first what I prescribe it is to use heavy metal hair test kit from https://www.myhealthconfirm.com/product/heavy-metals-gadolinium/. And in 90 cases, they are high level of heavy metal in blood.

Last edited:
Hi there! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It sounds like there may have been some residue or buildup on your stoneware bar pan that caused the unusual smell and taste. I would recommend cleaning the pan with a mixture of equal parts baking soda and water. This will help to remove any buildup and eliminate any odors. You can also try soaking the pan in hot soapy water for a few hours before cleaning it. If the issue persists, please reach out to our customer service team for further assistance. Thank you for being a loyal Pampered Chef consultant!

1. Why does my stoneware have a weird chemical smell/taste?

The stoneware may have a chemical smell or taste if it is new or has not been properly seasoned before use. This can be caused by the oils and additives used during the manufacturing process.

2. How do I get rid of the chemical smell/taste from my stoneware?

To remove the chemical smell or taste, we recommend washing the stoneware with warm soapy water and then seasoning it before use. You can also try baking a few batches of greasy foods, such as bacon or chicken, to help absorb any remaining odors.

3. Can I still use my stoneware if it has a chemical smell/taste?

Yes, you can still use the stoneware as long as you have properly washed and seasoned it. The smell or taste should dissipate with use and proper care.

4. How long does it take for the chemical smell/taste to go away?

The time it takes for the smell or taste to go away can vary depending on the stoneware and how often it is used. Generally, the smell or taste should dissipate after a few uses and proper care.

5. How can I prevent my stoneware from developing a chemical smell/taste?

To prevent your stoneware from developing a chemical smell or taste, make sure to properly season it before first use and follow the care instructions provided. Avoid using harsh detergents or abrasive materials when cleaning the stoneware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Traci loves tocook
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • sedona
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
pamperedbecky
  • pamperedchefpei