• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Joy of Finding Jobs: Our Journey from Unemployment to Employment

In summary, John got a job at a better wage than he was previously earning. Scott advised him not to give up on his dream and to keep the faith.
pampered1224
Silver Member
We are working again!!!Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has put up with all my grousing about Pat and me not having jobs, always being short of money, not sure what to do about this, that and the other thing and for keeping me from KILLING him!
My job is coming at the sad happenstance of someone who is suffering from stage 4 breast cancer. It went from breast to lungs, and I found out she is not responding to the chemo well at all at this point. Maybe she will. Sounds weird but I would gladly step away if she can return. In a way I hope I do not get this job permanently. I hate that I may be getting a job that way. One of the ladies asked me today if I would take the job if I was asked. I said of course. And I did explain though that in this case, I hope I do not get asked. She said she understood and did not think less of me if I was thinking about it. I mean seriously? How would you respond to that?
Pat also got a call today and he starts a new job on the 9th! He was so upset last week. He interviewed for two positions. One on the 22nd and one on the 25th. The one on the 22nd, he was told it was $8 an hour but he asked for $10 minimum stating his experience. He was also told he would know by the 25th. No call. The one on the 25th also told him they would call on the 29th. No call. Well, the one from the 22nd is the one he wanted most. Less money but better hours, no holidays or weekends. And first not second shift. He got the call this morning for the one he wanted. He got it at $10 an hour! Neither one of us is thrilled with the amounts as he was used to over $13 an hour I was used to $21 plus an hour but hey, $10 is still more than zero and both are just starting amounts!!! And we can pay all the bills and even have a bit left over!!! SO YEEEE HAAAA!!!

Thank you all again!!! Your strength and wisdom, gave me strength and wisdom! Oh and I am still going to get my Insurance Agents license as I am a mere 40 pages away from completing the course so... Next step, the dreaded state exam!!

Last edited:
yippee! So happy for y'all!

good news!!!

That is so awesome!!! Amazing how once you live on nothing, you learn how little you really need to live on! Things you used to take for granted (drive thru McD's, going to the movies, etc.) suddenly become super special outings. Congrats to both of you. As for taking the place of the gal with cancer, consider that you may be relieving her of a burden-she may have been worrying about who would do her job, should she stay so the company doesn't suffer, etc. Now she can focus on treatment and quality time with loved ones without the burden of work.

Congrats! I know you are relieved. Enjoy the job, both you.

congrats; good news all around!

I have to admit that even with me working, our house was still a very gloomy place. Now that Pat has a job, the whole world looks so much brighter. He very rarely uses his cell phone. NOT TODAY! I think he called everyone in his address book! And in mine!! Too funny! And thanks again! Scott, a while back you told me some thing that stuck with me for all this time. In fact, it was just shortly after I lost my job over two and a half years ago, and that was to not loose faith. There was going to be something out there just for me. That if I let it happen, it would come. And you were right. Also, that train of thought made it so much easier to get through all those years and changes I had to make. Thank you!

Congratulations John! I know it's been tough for you, and I'm glad you could come here to vent, get encouragement, and prayers. Good luck!

Fantabulous News! So happy for the two of you! It's hard when we don't know or understand God's plans for us, but if we just keep the faith, something works out. Been there, done that and I think I may be experiencing it again soon because I refuse to get a bus driver license and be a sub driver.

Enjoy your successes and be happy!

great news!

So happy to read your message - woo hoo!

A total message about the skills of perseverance and faith! "Let go and let God!"
Now the best part of this was that the company that hired Pat is NOT affiliated with any hospital. They do scanning for all sorts of companies. I got very worried when he said he applied and interviewed with Children's Hospital. The reason: I spent 9 weeks removing PCs from clinics for a major hospital system in SE WI. Every time we walked in and removed those PCs, 6 or so people lost their jobs! Sucked because we knew it. Hospitals are being required to go to the computer based medical records system. This means no where near the paper. It also means no where near the people needed. We literally fired about about 96 people in those clinics. Then of course there were the 100 plus people from the 5 main hospitals as well. Children's is going to EPIC in November. He would or may have been out of a job again. So God had a plan. That plan included a phone call from the one company offering him a job before the hospital did! Me, this one was also a gift so to speak. It is coming at the expense of another person but for some reason I got a job. Not a lot of work, for the first time in YEARS and YEARS. It is good on my leg so I probably will not have to ever worry about that again from over working it. So... These jobs were presented to us and there was a reason. I was just happy I was listening!

So happy for you and Pat!!! I'm smiling from ear to ear. And I'm happy you're still going ahead with the agents exam. You can do both!

You're the hardest wroking couple I know!;)

Thanks DebPC - I can do ALL THREE! I am not letting PC go either! I just have to take a moment, re-organize, get my MOJO back and GO, GO, GO!! I did not even realize how far down I did get with not having a full time job until I looked back at the last 2.5 years and realized I had let some great PC opportunities go because of my thought process being so negative. As much as I tried not to be, apparently it was more so than I thought. The worst of it, my mom knew it but as usual, she never said it but never said it out loud. But I am pretty sure I was depressed. And being up and all happy and everything is my way of covering that up. Dang, I knew it too but... well, it is hard to get help when you just keep it covered up and will not admit it.
And KG, I am not sure of that but survival will make you do some weird things! WORKING is one of them (HAHA!)

Last edited:
This is great news! I'm so happy for both of you!

Wrock On!

*&^%$#@! minimum character requirement.

Happy that you guys have had some doors open to help you financially. The circumstances on your position are not ideal, and I totally hear you on not wanting to get the job under the circumstances, but they need someone to fill the position during the regular person's medical leave (and possibly full time if things don't go well) ~ if someone has to do it, it might as well be you. Feel blessed that you are able to help them in this interim and that they are able to help you too! ;)

That is how I am looking at it, it took a bit but I did turn around. I do have one issue with this job though. The other person, in the other building I swap the tapes with is a bit if a dummy! Think about this one: 1) I work at the Oak Creek facility. I work about 3.5 hours in the morning pulling tapes out of the computer and box them up to send to the Brown Deer facility then I work about 2 hours in the afternoon, putting away the tapes I get from Brown Deer. 2) I am training in Brown Deer today. Tapes will be pulled by whomever is the console Operator there and sent out at 1:10 p.m. 3) They will arrive in Brown Deer at about 2:15. 4) Ralph, the guy who I do not think thinks, thinks that since he is off on Monday next, I should work in Brown Deer that day but HE CANCELLED the tape swap. This means I have nothing to do after I pull the tapes and therefore will work all of 3.5 hours. 5) Here is the question, if someone in Oak Creek is doing the tapes and swap today, why can't that be done Monday as well so I can work my 8 hours? Or better yet, have someone in Brown Deer, as there 8 others who know how to do this part, do it Monday and I just go to Oak Creek?
I am going to see if I can broach the subject today without making it sound like I think he is out of his mind. Which according to everyone that I have worked with thus far says he is!

Wonderful news! I'm so happy for you both.

Congratulations!

Too cool! When I asked Ralph about the tape exchange for Monday and noted that today was no different and we were doing it, he said, "OH, that is true and I know you can handle this end so...". He made the calls and I will be able to work 8 hours on Monday! YEAH! My first full week of work!

This is a great post to read! So happy for you and Pat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristen, I had to do it! So many people out here have been pulling, praying, rooting and cheering us on that I had to make sure everyone knew how much they meant to us. And we all need good news once in while to keep cheered up too! Nothing better than getting a smile on! My schedule has changed though. Important note here: Mary, the lady with stage 4 breast cancer, is returning to work TOMORROW! In fact, I will be working with her tomorrow. My schedule has been changed from Monday to Friday to Sunday to Thursday as of tomorrow. We will be working out who will be where come Monday. I was supposed to work Brown Deer but I will let Mary decide which is better for her. I do not care which facility as I can do both. I would just rather she take on the least possible responsibility right now but again, that is up to her. I think her choice will be Oak Creek as there is only one delivery there as there are two at Brown Deer thus twice the lifting. I also know no one will care who works where as long as both are covered. Also, and here is the best part, they are looking at removing all the "Command Center" people from ever having to cover either place. This means they will circulate the three of us between the two buildings. This means I will be permanent sooner than later. I am so excited I can not tell you. And the down time at two places has given me an opportunity to almost complete the insurance course I am taking so this too will get done sooner than later. I even have several people already interested in getting policies from me when I do pass the exam and get my license. Something to think about folks, if you have a life insurance policy and nothing else, through work, you do not have an insurance policy for life! These usually go away when you terminate your employment with that company. I lost mine when I was laid off by UMC. Also, they are usually only for $10,000. This is no where near enough money for anyone to "clean up" your finances should you pass. It costs an average of $7,000 to put you to rest and that is on the cheap end! It leaves roughly $3000 to help cover any lingering medical or household bills. The estate would need to pay these off. This means selling a home, down sizing and simply loosing the standard of living you are used too. It can include bankruptcy even. Not what you want your family to have to worry about as they are grieving. I suggest talking to your current insurance person to see about a more permanent policy. Also, there is something now know as an end of life policy which can be purchased to get the additional coverage needed without going through a medical exam! No kidding! Remember that term: End of Life Policy.

pampered1224 said:
It costs an average of $7,000 to put you to rest and that is on the cheap end!

When my mom died 10 years ago, I got to see the costs when you die. Up until I looked at the costs for burial/cremation, I always said I wanted to be buried. Mom was insistent on cremation.

The cost at that time for embalming was $2500. On top of this you would need to buy a casket ($1000+), and a vault ($3000-$7000) for the casket to go into.

The cost for cremation was $2500 plus the cost of your urn/box. We selected an inexpensive box ($125) because we were still goint to bury Mom in a cemetary. (She wanted cremation because she couldn't handle the thought of decomposing and worms and bugs crawling in and out of herself.) The final cost to my dad for Mom's burial was about $3000 which included the Thank You notes from the funeral home. They had already purchased the cemetary plot a year earlier.

After seeing the financial side of things, I changed my mind. I will be gone, why should I have my family pay an extra $4000 or more to bury my body? I would rather my family have the money for more practical (pay off bills) or fun things (new car or something). Another thought on cremation, if you are burying the person, your cemetary may charge less to dig the hole for cremated remains. Burial as most of us know, requires a large hole six feet deep, cremation requires a smaller hole only 3-4 feet deep. Less work and easier to do. Also, many cemetaries will allow two people to share one plot if you are both cremated. My parents will be sharing one plot.

Attachments

• Moms headstone.jpg
    Moms headstone.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

1. What safety measures are in place for employees returning to work?

Pampered Chef is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of our employees. We have implemented strict cleaning and sanitization protocols, provided personal protective equipment, and are following social distancing guidelines in our workspaces.

2. Will there be any changes to our work schedules or responsibilities?

While some changes may occur as we adapt to the current situation, we are working to maintain regular work schedules and responsibilities as much as possible. Your manager will communicate any changes with you directly.

3. Can I continue to work from home?

As our business operations resume, we are asking all employees to return to the office. However, we understand that individual circumstances may require alternative arrangements. Please speak with your manager to discuss any concerns or accommodations.

4. Are there any resources available for employees who are not comfortable returning to the office?

We understand that some employees may have concerns about returning to the office. We have resources available such as Employee Assistance Programs and flexible work arrangements to support employees during this transition. Please reach out to your HR representative for more information.

5. What happens if there is a resurgence of COVID-19 cases in our area?

Pampered Chef is closely monitoring the situation and will follow all guidelines and recommendations from local and national health authorities. In the event of a resurgence, we will adapt our policies and procedures to ensure the safety of our employees and continue to communicate any changes with our team.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
Admin Greg