1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Wasn't sure where to ask this question

1. CAPCnewbie

CAPCnewbie Member

I'm a new consultant for Pc and just had my very first show on the weekend. I had to pay a babysitter to watch my kids for me since my hubby was working. Due to travel time, I ended up paying her $50 for the day. Does anyone know if I can claim what I paid her as an expense?
    If I have to keep getting babysitters to do my business it may not be worth it kwim.

Mar 10, 2009
  2. Symara

Symara Member Gold Member

I'm not positive, but I don't think you can. I don't think people that have their kids in day cares get to write it off, but I don't have kids either, so I'm not positive.

Mar 10, 2009
  3. PampChefJoy

PampChefJoy Veteran Member Gold Member

Probably one of those "consult your tax advisor" things, but I think you can't use babysitting as a "business expense", but because you are working, you qualify to take the child care tax credit (not sure of the exact term). I do know that you have to be working and pay someone else to care for your children to qualify for that....

Mar 10, 2009
  4. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

I have a hubby who works weekends too. I have really struggled with this but it has taught me to controll my calendar. I striclly limit my weekend shows. You may also get more bang for your buck if you can do 2 shows on 1 day.

Mar 10, 2009
  5. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

When my children were young and I had a different FT job, I was able to declare it as an itemized deduction I believe. Not sure if things have changed though.

Mar 10, 2009
  6. cincychef

cincychef Advanced Member

Again I am not sure, but I believe you can claim a certain amount of babysitting. I will tell you that I went thru exactly what you are going thru with the babysitting. Last year I was commited to growing my business but my husband was working over 100 hours a week and could NEVER watch the kids. I found babysitters that I could pay a resonable amount and worked my business really hard. I was able to increase my shows, sales and promote to director and now my husband is only working one job for the first time in 7 years. So I just want to encourage you that even if your reasons for being with PC are different than mine if you stick it out it can be worth it in the long run to pay a babysitter and work your business. It has been for my family.

Mar 10, 2009
  7. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2009
  8. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

A friend of mine used to take the SSN's of her babysitters for tax purposes.

Mar 10, 2009
  9. Crystal Patton

Crystal Patton Advanced Member

My accountant told me I could claim the babysitter only if I 1099'd her. I wasn't OK with that so I pay for my middle son's day care/pre school out of my business account and claim that instead. I do almost all my office time when he is at school. BUT I would check with a pro, my situation may be different than yours.

Have something to add?