• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Warning (Vent) Spiraling Out of Control!!!!

In summary, Kristin is out of work, has a lot of bills that are past due, and is feeling desperate. She has tried the temp agencies but hasn't had much luck. She is hoping for a new job in 2008 and is reading a book to help her cope with her situation.
chefkristin
Gold Member
I am sort of embarrassed to even post this. But I don't know where else to turn...
I have been out of work since getting laid off from Staples last February. They moved my dept. out of state. I was there for 6 years.
I have had a couple other jobs that didn't work out for one reason or another.
Our mortgage and condo fees are 2 months past due. Our bills are past due. I am afraid we will get a foreclosure letter. I know you will all tell me to get a job or get on the phone. Believe me I have been doing nothing but applying and calling. I feel like I have hit a brick wall. Prayers would be appreciated. It has to get better and I am trying to have faith in that but I don't know if its enough.
I am getting ready to go flip burgers at this point.

Not to mention everything else going on. I just found out my cousin has stomach cancer, she is in her early 40's. My other cousin died last night from cancer all through his body. I keep thinking if God brings you to it, he will bring you through it. I am trying to believe that, but I am starting to wonder.:( :cry: :(

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin Kristin - that's very sad. I'll be praying for you and your family at this difficult time. Good luck with getting a job and I also hope your PC gives you what you need as well. Just keep applying or take something temporarily that can help you out now as well.

Wow Kristin, you do have a load on your shoulders right now! Have you thought about applying at a Temp Agency? Sometimes temp jobs lead to full time employment. Good Luck to you!

I agree with Linda - I worked for a couple of temp agencies and both led to full time jobs rather quickly. Good luck Kristin!

I'll be praying too!

Kristin, you need a paradigm shift. I know it isn't easy to do, but whenever you call and talk to anyone, whether it's a PC customer, a potential employer or anyone else, they hear desperation in your voice. It isn't easy to change that, given your situation, but if you can find a way to change your outlook, it will make all the difference.Also, take from a cancer survivor - you need to keep laughing. No matter how dire the circumstance, there's always some humor there somewhere. You can't take life so seriously, after all, you're never going to get out of it alive, anyway. ;)

Oh Kristin I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time! I just said a prayer for your and will continue to keep you in my prayers.

I'm so happy to hear you are keeping your faith. I've been through many rough times myself and you're so right he will get you through it. One of my favorite books to read is, "Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On." It really helps you realize God is in control. If you don't have it or can't get it at the library PM me and I'll mail one to you.

Take care and best of luck with your job search.

Thanks everyone. I will look for that book "Just enough Light". I could use some positive reading right about now.

KG- I do sound desperate don't I? I will try to change it. I am happy to hear you are a SURVIVOR! Cancer is such a horrible disease. It has taken a good portion of my family on both sides. I do have to try to laugh. If not for me for Ethan's sake (my 5 year old.).

I have tried the temp agencies. I am thinking that it is the time of year and hopefully companies will have new budgets for 2008 soon and I will get some response after Christmas.

Kristin - I know what the hole is like you're in. I've been in that same hole, in fact, I'm not sure I ever got out of it. ;) You can do it!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Kristin - I know what the hole is like you're in. I've been in that same hole, in fact, I'm not sure I ever got out of it. ;) You can do it!
Thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

chefkristin said:
I have tried the temp agencies. I am thinking that it is the time of year and hopefully companies will have new budgets for 2008 soon and I will get some response after Christmas.
That's a big thing - you're absolutely right that budgets aren't there right now for new employees. Just take a breath and prepare to hit things for the new year.

We're here for you if you need to vent again. Sometimes just getting it out helps release the stress.

Just remember Kristin..."And it came to pass..." It didn't come to stay... Have a bad year last year, don't worry, it'll pass. Have a good year last year, don't worry, it too will pass! :) (One of Mark Lowry's funniest routines...)God has a plan...just keep working hard and relying on Him. Our sermon yesterday was on Mary and what it meant to "find favor with God". Every person God chose did NOT have an easy life. They had to go through immense trials...makes you not want to be in God's favor if looking on it humanly, but to know He has a goal and will bless it in the end, and what counts for eternity is worth it! Two verse cards in front of me today, which I need too!!!! I've been surrounded by trials this month are:"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." - Col. 3:2
"...the righteous cannot be uprooted". - Proverbs 12:3I will be praying that God brings abundant blessings when you least expect it!

On a practical note, any place looking for last minute temporary holiday help? Just to get you a few dollars?

Kristin, I am so sorry you are going such a hard time right now. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. My family has been through similar situations.

Do I recall that you work in the accounting field? (or it could have been another cheffer I am thinking of) Have you tried Accountemps? This time of the year is when companies will be getting ready for end of the year tax time and audits, etc. and may need that extra help. Check them out at Accountemps.com. (I apologize if my memory is incorrect about your field).

Bren706 said:
Kristin, I am so sorry you are going such a hard time right now. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. My family has been through similar situations.

Do I recall that you work in the accounting field? (or it could have been another cheffer I am thinking of) Have you tried Accountemps? This time of the year is when companies will be getting ready for end of the year tax time and audits, etc. and may need that extra help. Check them out at Accountemps.com. (I apologize if my memory is incorrect about your field).
You are right. I have my info at Accountemps. Its just a waiting game.

I agree with the Cheffer who said to try holiday work just to get some extra money. Anything at this point will help. How about delivering pizzas or getting a paper route? Or how about cleaning houses? This is a great time of year for it.

Now, are you current on everything else? It's time to put things into priority. If you have credit cards then stop paying on them until you get out of this emergency. Everything needs to go to the house right now. Think "four walls" - food, lights, roof, and clothing. Those are the most important right now. Most likely you do not need clothes. Make sure you put food on the table (nothing fancy, just rice and beans) and pay the light bill. Everything else needs to go to the house. They will want a lump sum payment, they won't take just a few dollars here and there. Call them up and find out what the amount is and get it together. Have a garage sale. Sell everything until the kids think they are next. It's do or die time. Get fired up! You can do it!

Another great book to read is the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. It will really help you through this time and give you tools to make sure that it doesn't happen again, even if you do get laid off again.

Good luck and you and your family will be in my prayers.

Oh Kristen!! ~hugs~

I am praying for you and your family. I know EXACTLY how you feel and going through a lot of similar issues with being behind!!

If you are in accounting, someplace to consider that should be hiring soon is H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt, or any of the tax preparation places. It may be temporary, but I'm sure it would be a lot of hours coming up soon.

Hang in their girl -- it's going to be ok!!

Sarah's post reminds me - call your creditors and let them know your situation. They may be willing to work with you on a plan, but need to know up front.

I know there's a no self-promotion rule, but would you be willing to do some paid accounting work for other Cheffers? (Sometimes that gets awkward later.)

chefann said:
Sarah's post reminds me - call your creditors and let them know your situation. They may be willing to work with you on a plan, but need to know up front.

I know there's a no self-promotion rule, but would you be willing to do some paid accounting work for other Cheffers? (Sometimes that gets awkward later.)
What kind of work? I really don't know how taxes work. I am more about Accounts Payable. I worked in Fixed Assets for 4 years before AP. I also have Banking.

Ok- I wasn't sure what your background was. It was a thought, though.

chefann said:
Ok- I wasn't sure what your background was. It was a thought, though.
It was a good thought. Thanks.

Thanks to all! Your all incredibly supportive and I did just need to vent. My dad is giving me money for the mortgage. Sort of hurts my pride a bit but I don't have much choice right now. I just really hate when things are not in my control. I will find something! I certainly won't let things remain this way.

Kristin~

Are you involved in a church? I know that our church "adopts" families at this time of the year...$$ towards food, actual food donations, clothing, etc. Also- prayers of those around you will help you through this time too. You know you will get prayers from those of us here, but you can never have "too many" prayers!

I pray that God opens up an unexpected stream of money for you! Do you have a DH? Just wondering if you are getting emotional support from others close to you...

I am so glad to see that you have your faith...even if through this it is being tested. God can supply in so many ways! I pray that you are able to give Him the glory through this time in your life and that he encourages and lifts you up through the actions of others!

{{{{HUGS}}}}
Kelly

Kristen,
You're in my prayers.
You know, your current situation sounds like a friend of mine who was in your very shoes about 15 years ago. I don't know exactly how she did it, but she determined to make PC her full time job, and she did. Things worked out great for her, and I pray it does for you, too.

I do have a DH. He is very supportive. He works full time and is about to go look for a part time job on top of it. He designs websites on the side too.

I don't belong to a church right now. The church I went to was shut down a couple years ago and I have had a hard time with it. I found another great church in my town and I am going to call to see what it takes to become a member. I want to get Ethan into Sunday school or CCD or whatever they do these days. We really need God in our life right now. He was never not in my life, I just need to make him more a part of it I guess.

KellyTheChef said:
Kristin~

Are you involved in a church? I know that our church "adopts" families at this time of the year...$$ towards food, actual food donations, clothing, etc. Also- prayers of those around you will help you through this time too. You know you will get prayers from those of us here, but you can never have "too many" prayers!

I pray that God opens up an unexpected stream of money for you! Do you have a DH? Just wondering if you are getting emotional support from others close to you...

I am so glad to see that you have your faith...even if through this it is being tested. God can supply in so many ways! I pray that you are able to give Him the glory through this time in your life and that he encourages and lifts you up through the actions of others!

{{{{HUGS}}}}
Kelly

Kristin- All I can say to the above is read my signature line...and God always keeps His promises!!

You're in my prayers!

Kristin, I totally understand what you are going through. My situation is pretty bleak, too, but you just have to keep moving forward.

Hit all the temp agencies, schools/universities, etc around your area. Tell ALL your friends, and anyone you meet that you are looking for work. Put your pride aside, and tell them you need $ just to pay the bills. Believe me, I never thought my husband and I would be in the ugly place we are in financially, but it's the way it is and we have to deal with it. My husband has 2 jobs, both low paying, and I have 2 and my PC business. There is no $, and every free minute is spent in either income generating mode, or looking to generate income mode. I am worried sick about finances, and the stress is overwhelming. We are late with truck payment, and the house 1 month behind. Oh well, the bank isn't going to foreclose for being 1, even 2 or 3 months, behind. Same goes for your bank note on your vehicle. Call both lenders and see if they have programs for people who are in trouble. Most do. I don't know about things in MA, but Michigan's economy sucks and the last thing the banks want is another foreclosed house.

Check into teller positions are banks. Don't rely on newpapers, go to the banks and ask to speak the HR dept.

Once again, tell EVERYONE you need work.

Don't let the despair get you down. Anything you can do to move you forward is a good thing. Hang in there. Believe in yourself and don't give up.

Last edited:
I have something that hangs on my fridge that might help (it helps me keep on keepin' on when I get stalled). It's a little card that says: "Fall down 7 times, stand up 8"... in other words, no matter how many times you fall, just keep getting up... you CAN do this...

Every time I'm faced with a challenge that seems impossible, I remember that the Universe (aka God) would not give me more than I can handle, so try and take it as a compliment that you've been entrusted with such a challenge and rise to it. You wouldn't have been given it otherwise... someone somewhere knows you can do it, now is not the time to give up. Replace the desperation with inspiration. Don't ever doubt that you're not supposed to be where you are to learn whatever it is you need to learn (patience, strength, humility, et al) and that this too will come to pass.

Also, you mentioned bills past due... check into services in your area. You might be surprised to find what you could qualify for...
Consumer - Health and Human Services

Perhaps something on that page can help you too.

Call your mortgage company, alot of times they will work with you, but they need to know what is going on. On our rental house we had renters that did a lot of damage to our rental (they had been our renters for over a year and had paid on time up to that point) then left in the middle of the night and their rent check bounced. I had to do some repairs before new ones could move in. (I now know how to put up drywall, and install a disposal) So after being 1 1/2 months behind on the mortgage, I called the mortgage company and explained and they gave me a two month break from the payments,(to bring me current) they just extended the loan contract 2 months. So long story short, call the mortgage company, you never know.
You will be in my prayers,
Kristen

Thanks so much everyone. I won't give up. I just feel like I might. I won't.

You are not alone my family is going to the same thing. DH was layed off them got sick and went into the hospital for a week we are 2 months behind an was unable to get help from anyone at this time. It takes everything I make to keep lights and food on the table. Have 2 seniors in high school and just found out that I probably want have my job after the new year. Trying to step up my PC game to help with income. Make a little too much for state assistance. Hoping things will shape up after Christmas put the house up for sale to beat the foreclosure.

H&R Block will train you. For free I think. I'm not sure about the others. Now is the time to do it because they'll be hiring right around the first of the year. It'll be at least 4 months work and sometimes they'll keep you on for a few months after because of people filing extensions. Are there construction companies in your area? You could probably get on as a timekeeper if there's work going on. The pay is usually pretty good if it's a big contractor. If you want to email me at [email protected], I can give you some websites to check.

Definitely call your mortgage company and talk to them about getting a deferral on your payments. Most of them will move one or two payments to the end of the loan when you're in this type situation. There's usually no fee. Or sometimes they'll split the payment up instead of requiring the whole amount at once. If you have an auto financed, do the same with them. They can give you an extension or let you just pay the interest for a month or two until you can get things more in order.

Good luck! Most of us have had a rough go at some point or other so we understand. Try not to worry too much although it's hard not to. God will provide. Just remember to turn it over to him and try not to take it back, as hard as that is. As I've found out over and over, he doesn't need a co-pilot trying to take over the controls unless you just want to crash. ;)

Ok...well I have an interview for Accounts Payable at 1pm today! It is only a temporary position for 2 months and the pay kind of stinks but its better than nothing for now. It will at least give me some time and money to look for a great job! I will let you know what happens. Fingers crossed!

good luck! A paycheck, even if it's a small one, is better than nothing (unless your costs like daycare will be bigger than the check)

chefann said:
good luck! A paycheck, even if it's a small one, is better than nothing (unless your costs like daycare will be bigger than the check)
Nope. Thank God, Ethan is in Kindergarten!

So, look at it this way. It's not your dream job. But God's putting it in your path so that you can be there a short time and catch up on a bill or two. Make a plan of action for your PC business and work it. Then when the 2 months are up, you can see where you're headed next. Anything can happen in 2 months.

chefkristin said:
Ok...well I have an interview for Accounts Payable at 1pm today! It is only a temporary position for 2 months and the pay kind of stinks but its better than nothing for now. It will at least give me some time and money to look for a great job! I will let you know what happens. Fingers crossed!

Good luck! And who knows... it may lead to a permanent thing that does pay well. Let us know how you make out. :)

How was your interview Kristin? Did it go well?

chefann said:
How was your interview Kristin? Did it go well?
I start tomorrow at 9am!! Ethan has a half day on Friday so now I have 2 more interviews on Friday. They are both part time but will work perfectly together!!
The first is an HR position at STAPLES!!! I would love to get back in there. Then the second is in the radiology department at a pretty big doctors office. I could do them both! Keep praying everyone! Its working!! THANKYOU!!!!!:angel:

Kristin,
I can't wait to hear how it went, too! I'll be thinking about you and hoping that some things fall into place for you!

Through the years, I've seen several people I've know do temp. holiday work at a Williams-Sonoma (a fancy, schmancy cooking-related store). I have no idea if there's one in your area, but your cooking background would be a big plus. Although it may be hard to "sell" another company's cooking products!! There store IS very cool. I'm just glad I don't need any of the typical tools, gadgets, cookware from there because it's NOT cheap!! Might be good money as a job though.:)

chefkristin said:
I start tomorrow at 9am!! Ethan has a half day on Friday so now I have 2 more interviews on Friday. They are both part time but will work perfectly together!!
The first is an HR position at STAPLES!!! I would love to get back in there. Then the second is in the radiology department at a pretty big doctors office. I could do them both! Keep praying everyone! Its working!! THANKYOU!!!!!:angel:
Awesome!!! I posted on here a couple minutes too late! Good for you! I'm so happy for you. Sounds like they hired you on the spot. You go girl!!:D :D

That's great, Kristin! I hope everything works out for you and your family.

I will keep you all posted! The great thing about it is that the temp job is literally 6 minutes away!!

The other 2 are totally near each other and not far from me either.

Thank God!!!!

Glad you got some great news!

janetupnorth said:
Glad you got some great news!
Thanks! I really like your signature!

Congratulations Kristin! I'm so glad you got some good news! :thumbup: :)

Great news! Congratulations!!!

chefkristin said:

Yeah YOU!! Knew you could do it! Just keep believing!!

We are all so very happy for you. We are all here to support each other.
Keep us posted
Kristen

Congrats Kristin!! So happy for you!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SusanBP0129
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • jrny2001
  • General Chat
Replies