• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's the Best Way to Feed a Crowd at My Cooking Show?

In summary, the host wants a large meal that will feed all of her guests. She is unsure how many people will be there, but she's got 8 definites right now and is pretty sure she will have at least 5 more people say they are coming as well. The problem is, she is a new consultant and doesn't have a lot of PC products just yet- mainly what she has came in her kit. Her friend has a DCB that she said I could borrow as well. Any suggestions on recipes that stretch using mostly kit products?The main suggestion given was to offer her recipes that she can make if she would like an entire meal. There are several reasons that I don't do a meal at a
Foodie
I have a cooking show next week and the host wants a large meal, with appetizers and desserts, that will feed all of her guests. She is unsure how many people will be there, but she's got 8 definites right now and is pretty sure she will have at least 5 more people say they are coming as well. The problem is, I'm a new consultant (this will only by my 2nd cooking show) and don't have a lot of PC products just yet- mainly what I have came in my kit. My friend has a DCB that she said I could borrow as well. Any suggestions on recipes that stretch using mostly kit products? She wasn't keen on the idea of the three cheese pizza.

My only suggestion is to offer her recipes that she can make if she would like an entire meal and you do either the appetizer or the dessert as your demo. There are several reasons that I don't do a meal at a show:
1. I'm not a caterer.
2. The focus shouldn't be on the recipes but on the products.
3. Any bookings off of her show is going to expect the same thing.

Keep it simple. If hosts want extra food, I give them suggestions and recipes but I only do one recipe as a demo.

Just my thoughts.

Totally agree with Sharon. Don't do anything you are not comfortable with and let her know that. "You know Suzie Host, this is only my 2nd kitchen show and I prefer recipes that I'm comfortable with and I only prepare 1 recipe for your show due to time (or what ever). I can provide you with other options that you can choose to make yourself but here are the recipes I'm offering for your show, you can pick one of these."

Do you have a DCB? Or 2? When I had someone want this before, I did the 30 minute chicken and then made mashed potatoes in the mircowave and then made a salad in the trifle bowl! And we had 23 ppl there! It was great and super super easy!!!!!

I am stunned that people ask this. It makes me wonder: if they expect this from you, what do they expect the candle lady or the Tupperware lady to do? Dramatic events? I agree with Sharon... I might also try to explain that due to time commitment to prepare an entire me, it wouldn't be respectful of everyone's time to keep them there and away from their families that long. I have one host that always wants me to hold a class to teach rings and braids at her show. I have done shows for her before, and I get the feeling that most of her friends are not interested in this and its may just really be a few. So, I offered to hold a separate class for the 5 or 6 people versus tying up all 30 guests. Maybe something to consider.

A reminder that PC gives the host $15 in free product value for hosting a cooking show v. a catalog show. That $15 is to compensate for the cost of the ingredients. It's pretty hard to get 2 real recipes done with $15. You can do garlic bites in the small saute pan plus another recipe. If she chooses to serve a full meal, that's her business. Reminder her that this is a tasting, not a meal. It's supposed to be easy for her (as in, YOU'RE not doing all those extra recipes and she shouldn't either.)

I'm not a fan of the three cheese garden pizza. Look in the Season's Best at the chicken enchilada pizza. In the SB, the last 2 recipes in each section are meant to be used with products from the kit. Or, go on Cons. Corner and do a recipe search for large bar pan recipes.

You might also remind her that people are sometimes intimidated by big, dramatic parties. It makes them think it's difficult to host. There's nothing wrong with sticking to your guns. If, like me, you do one recipe, then tell her it's your policy to do only one recipe. Like Sharon suggested, I also let hosts know that I'll be glad to provide them with recipes if they'd like to do more, but it's not necessary.

I do one bigger recipe as the demo and something smaller as a side or a dessert. Like right now I'm making the pull apart pizza as my demo and the second is just a dip with the dill sour cream and mayo. I would never do all of that unless it was a group of my own friends.

I took the advice of another consultant on this site and will only do a second item (prepared before the show) if there are 15 RSVP'd guests. I will only do one item and I give a list ahead of time in my host packet. Don't let a host tell you how to do your show. Fixing an entire meal with appetizers and desserts is completely unrealistic.

Thanks everyone. I had my first show today and after seeing how that went, I know there is no way that I could do an appetizers/entree/desserts show. This host has never had a show before, so I don't think she knows how much time goes into really showcasing the products as you use them and allowing for time to ask questions, letting guests participate, etc. I did make the artichoke cups ahead of time today and then made the pizza as a demo (mainly b/c I wanted to see which of those two recipes was received the best). The pizza wasn't as big a hit as I had hoped, but the artichoke cups dazzled! People raved and bought mini muffin pans just to make this recipe in the future.

Foodie said:
Thanks everyone. I had my first show today and after seeing how that went, I know there is no way that I could do an appetizers/entree/desserts show. This host has never had a show before, so I don't think she knows how much time goes into really showcasing the products as you use them and allowing for time to ask questions, letting guests participate, etc. I did make the artichoke cups ahead of time today and then made the pizza as a demo (mainly b/c I wanted to see which of those two recipes was received the best). The pizza wasn't as big a hit as I had hoped, but the artichoke cups dazzled! People raved and bought mini muffin pans just to make this recipe in the future.

Yes, those artichoke cups are a bit hit! Hopefully you sold them a mini-tart shaper along with their mini-muffin pan. :)

Foodie said:

The artichoke cups are really good - but you also have to balance the recipe with the amount of products that it shows. Make sure that what you are demoing is showing a good amount of products, and also some of the higher priced products.

It's the higher priced products that make people want to book (to get them for free/half off) and the more products you demo, the more you'll sell.

I sell a ton of mini-muffin pans, and I've never used them for a demo. But a $50 - $80 knife? That one needs to be seen and tried out for people to make the purchase.

I was very happy with the final outcome of 650 in sales for my first show! Although the pizza wasn't as tasty as they were hoping, everyone commented on how perfect the crust was and I was able to sell a few stonewear pieces from that alone. My kit was missing the mini-tart shaper (I've contacted the home office), but I did point it out to them in the catalog (the guests didn't even know I didn't use it to make the cups) as the perfect companion piece for the mini muffin pan. All in all, learned quite a bit from my first time out there!

Good for you, Foodie!

Great job - beats the heck out of my first show, Foodie! Head's up though--it's not about the food. If your host wants food food food, guests are not getting the true Pampered Chef experience. Hostess coaching will steer her away from being so centered on filling their bellies.If she is more interested in a dining experience, remind her that your business and your paycheck come from sales. Selling experts have found that a single recipe, usually prepared and served within 45 minutes drives the largest sales in our format. Educate her that to increase the food will decrease the free items she receives from PC b/c her sales would be down.It's also about making it look easy - and duplicatable. How were the bookings? My hunch is that they were meager if not 0... Keep It Simple, Silly!Sorry to lecture - but I needed to hear these words earlier in my business.

I like simple too, Scott. Great advice. I'm thinking of doing away with my pizza at some shows too and making it even simpler! I think some snacks with dips would work well, just coring apples and wedging a pineapple, pressing some garlic, etc. I'm thinking tool demo shows are in my future. Then I can leave that heavy stone and batter bowl at home! LOL

Thanks, Scott. It didn't feel like a lecture on this end :) I appreciate the advice- I have no problem admitting I'm new at this and can only learn. I did book one show off my first show, but I'm definitely hoping to increase that number at my next show. I think I'm going to offer my host whose show is this week (she's the one who wanted the whole shebang) the 30 minute chicken and garlic parmesan bites. That way, her guests can see how quickly and easily a full meal can come together for their families and I can show off some of the items from the higher price range (the saute pan, the DCB). I will give her the option of making a dessert or appetizers ahead of time on her own if she would like to (and offer her recipes for those if she chooses). Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice. It is all very much appreciated!

Way to go, foodie! Congratulations on getting your first show under your belt!!

1. How long does a "Wants a Big Meal as a Show" party typically last?

A "Wants a Big Meal as a Show" party typically lasts around 2 hours. This allows enough time for guests to socialize, try out products, and learn new recipes.

2. Do I need to provide any ingredients or cooking equipment for the party?

No, as the Pampered Chef consultant, I will bring all of the necessary ingredients and equipment for the recipes we will be making. All you need to do is invite your guests and provide a space for the party.

3. Are there any special discounts or promotions for hosting a "Wants a Big Meal as a Show" party?

Yes, as the host of a "Wants a Big Meal as a Show" party, you can earn free products and discounts based on the sales from your party. There may also be exclusive promotions or offers available for party hosts.

4. Can I customize the recipes for my "Wants a Big Meal as a Show" party?

Absolutely! As a Pampered Chef consultant, I am happy to work with you to choose recipes that fit your preferences and dietary restrictions. I want to make sure everyone at the party can enjoy the meal.

5. How many guests can I invite to my "Wants a Big Meal as a Show" party?

There is no limit to the number of guests you can invite to your "Wants a Big Meal as a Show" party. However, I recommend keeping the party to a manageable size so that all guests can participate and have a great experience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • PCSarahjm
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens