• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is it Worth Joining as a Consultant Without the Right Recruiter?

In summary, becoming a consultant without the right recruiter may still be worth it as success ultimately depends on personal goals and motivation. Host coaching is crucial for a successful party, and living in a rural area should not hinder parties as there are alternative locations and methods of reaching a larger audience. Despite challenges with a recruiter, focusing on building relationships with customers and utilizing resources can lead to a successful consultant experience.
harleychef
I am planning on being a new consultant very soon ,however, i don`t know if i really want to be in the downline of the consultant who is supposed to do my party next week. i have had to persue her every step of the way. no host coaching. late arrival of a pretty lean packet when i specifically said i knew alot of people ,some who could attend and others for outside orders. texts not responded to. was given only 3 catalogs. i live way out in the country so my friends and aquaintances are miles apart. i am soooo frustrated.

Almost forgot to introduce myself. my name is sandy. i live in eastern north carolina. i went to a pc demo about 6 years ago when i lived in jersey. the show i have scheduled for next week will be my first personal show. i liked this whole site so much when i discovered it that it is my inspiration to become a consultant

harleychef said:
I am planning on being a new consultant very soon ,however, i don`t know if i really want to be in the downline of the consultant who is supposed to do my party next week. i have had to persue her every step of the way. no host coaching. late arrival of a pretty lean packet when i specifically said i knew alot of people ,some who could attend and others for outside orders. texts not responded to. was given only 3 catalogs. i live way out in the country so my friends and aquaintances are miles apart. i am soooo frustrated.

I would say NO NOT sign up under her! If you are not getting any support as her host you can expect that same level of "service" in her downline.
It's critical to sign up under someone who is supportive and has your best interests in mind. Feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can answer all your questions and help you get started on the right foot.

I live in Alabama and would be glad to help you get started as well... I have a wonderful director who has helped me EVERY step of the way. Please feel free to email me if you would like to talk as I am a new consultant as well.... My name is Jamie... and my email is [email protected].

Hi. Welcome Sandy! I am fairly new and love PC!! I wish you all the luck in the world and HAVE FUN with it!!

Welcome Sandy!
I would also agree- do not sign up under her if you are not comfortable with her.
Where in NC are you? I'm just NE of Raleigh.

Welcome, Sandy. Add my vote to not sign up under someone whose style doesn't sit well with you. You have the choice of who to sign up with. It's important that you feel completely comfortable with that person for a variety of reasons.

esavvymom said:
Welcome Sandy!
I would also agree- do not sign up under her if you are not comfortable with her.
Where in NC are you? I'm just NE of Raleigh.

Thank you everyone ! ya`ll are so helpful and i already feel like family. esavvymom- i am right between greenville and kinston

Welcome. As everyone else stated if you dont feel comfortable dont sign with her. You can still have her do the show and you can take the kit credit but use it under a different consultant.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you feel like she is pressuring you at all to sign up under her, be firm. You are under no obligation to sign up under her. Plus, pressure of any kind is not something you want from your recruiter.

I agree with these women. Call them and then also call around and you'll find a consultant that you like. You interview them. Can they help you make your business a success? Any director can find hospitality meetings for you, get it and then commit to going to EVERY monthly meeting and new consultant trainings (there will be a few when you start).

I'm not kidding about the meetings. For 2 years I did not have a director meeting. I was about to get a different job until a friend told me she'd see if I could go to her meetings. For 2 years I drove over 2 hours each way to Cincinatti to get the training I needed. The meetings will get you the income you want.

Having a trainer that you respect will get you even more.

Btw...mark Wednesday January 5th fon your calendar for your Back to Business Meeting!

You are in a great position!

Chefgirl2 said:
The meetings will get you the income you want.

Having a trainer that you respect will get you even more.

Btw...mark Wednesday January 5th fon your calendar for your Back to Business Meeting!

You are in a great position!

Yes they will! If your own upline doesn't offer them, find one near you that you like. My direct upline is all far away, but I'm going to meetings with a "sister director" near me.

Jennie4PC said:
Welcome. As everyone else stated if you dont feel comfortable dont sign with her. You can still have her do the show and you can take the kit credit but use it under a different consultant.

HO frowns on using kit credit for hosting with one consultant and signing with another. I called a couple of years ago because this was potentially going to happen. Can't even remember the specifics but I think it was one of my leads who was hosting with someone else. If you want to use kit credit from your show, you'll need your show number and the consultant's number. It would be very hard to tell her you want kit credit but won't sign with her. Then again, she may not be interested in adding people to her team and could give you her director's contact info. That's assuming she's not a director already ;)

I think you could still tell her with kindness that you don't feel a connection because of everything you wrote in your first post. Better to be uncomfortable for a few minutes, than have months of regret.

I wish I'd had at least phone interviews with some other local consultants before I signed. I just didn't click with my director, she no longer does PC, and my upline is now over a 3 hour drive away. :thumbdown:

Luckily I still know other consultants who are close by so we can share things for shows.

Becca_in_MD said:
HO frowns on using kit credit for hosting with one consultant and signing with another. I called a couple of years ago because this was potentially going to happen. Can't even remember the specifics but I think it was one of my leads who was hosting with someone else. If you want to use kit credit from your show, you'll need your show number and the consultant's number. It would be very hard to tell her you want kit credit but won't sign with her. Then again, she may not be interested in adding people to her team and could give you her director's contact info. That's assuming she's not a director already ;)

She is a director. she finally texted me back about an hour ago. said she has been out of town. that`s all well and good but she replied last week to one of my texts that more catalogs were on the way as i requested. they haven`t arrived...... apparently she plans to call me tomorrow. we`ll see if she has any bright ideas on how to pad my show

My director is in another state several hours away and I've never heard anything from her other than a couple of "canned" emails that I was told were actually sent by her husband. Fortunately, my recruiter is VERY good and I'm in a hospitality group that's wonderful with a wonderful director. I've done a lot of the online training and this has helped immensely!Wishing you all the best as you begin your new business!!

Welcome Sandy!
I have a wonderful Director who's in Clayton NC...in fact, she was the first person to ask me about doing PC in 12 years of going to shows!! When you have someone who is wonderfully supportive, has 'your back', is full of ideas and enthusiasm, it can help you get where you want to go!

Welcome Sandy and congrats as soon as you sign your name. I believe you will find the right person to sign up with because you deserve the best support you can get.

Welcome!

If it was me, I wouldn't tell her you were planning on signing. If she hasn't done a great job host coaching she might not even ask if you are interested. You'll avoid an uncomfortable situation. If she already knows you are interested that may be a different story.

I hosted a show 2 months prior to signing up. Couldn't stand the person who did my show and as a result went through the home office leads system to find a different person in the area to sign under.

I only give my host 2 catalogs, unless they request more. Most people have the Internet and can shop on-line @ the consultant's website or pamperedchef.com to see the catalog. As far as texting, I don't subscribe to it so I wouldn't have responded by text but she could have called or e-mailed you back.

Best wishes!

It's kind of hard to keep your interest a secret if you're taking advantage of the kit credit. ;)

Welcome Sandy
I would not even take the kit credit I would make this your 1st SHOW.
Who ever you sign under is what you want to do.
( I live in Ct and if you where under me this is what I would have you do. I do this for my people )

Any way you said you know so many people that are going to your party so that sounds like you will have a great show . You may even qualify that night with 1250 in sales or be close. These are your friends, as your director I would be there for support training and let all your guests know this is your
1st grand opening show
Everything is yours the commsion, host rewards and all the future bookings .that is why I am there at your show to help you with a great start to this awsome business
You do need to sign before the show even it it is that day !!!!! We do this all the time in our cluster the support in the begining is great ,
Good luck

chef131doreen said:
Welcome Sandy
I would not even take the kit credit I would make this your 1st SHOW.
Who ever you sign under is what you want to do.
( I live in Ct and if you where under me this is what I would have you do. I do this for my people )

Any way you said you know so many people that are going to your party so that sounds like you will have a great show . You may even qualify that night with 1250 in sales or be close. These are your friends, as your director I would be there for support training and let all your guests know this is your
1st grand opening show
Everything is yours the commsion, host rewards and all the future bookings .that is why I am there at your show to help you with a great start to this awsome business
You do need to sign before the show even it it is that day !!!!! We do this all the time in our cluster the support in the begining is great ,
Good luck

This is my thought. Why not turn your show into your first show? This is what I encourage people to do! You'll make more money and get more out of it that. Of course it is a little difficult because the person who is originally doing your show you don't want her to be your consultant. But there are ways around that also.

As far as catalogs, I know you said she sent a very "slim" host packet. I personally only send three because I find that most hosts don't use more than one or two. But if a host asks for more, I'm more than willing to give her more.

Don't be afraid to talk to this consultant and tell here you want this to be your 1st show if she gives you a hard time about it than you will know that she is not the upline for you. because its not about her it is about you.

I'm sorry you are having issues with your consultant. most consultants give about 3 catalogs for a cooking show but since you specifically asked for more she should have given you at least a couple more. I have found though that often hosts don't even pull out those 3 before the party and the hosts that need more con't usually have any more outside orders than those that get the standard host packet. I also think that you should give her another chance since it is just before a holiday. I know for me it's the big holiday of the year - I have 15 people here for the whole week before Thanksgiving (they're sleeping right now).

I hope you resolve things but if not as has been said you do have choices. There are other consultants in your area. You can contact Pampered Chef at pamperedchef.com and go through the lead system to find a director in your area or you can contact someone here. We are all over the country but I can tell you that it really doesn't matter. I have consultants who live in Tx and other parts of the state and are happy with the training I offer. It's all about learning how to communicate with each individual.

Personally, I live in mebane - middle of the state pretty much. You decide who you want to contact. No matter what you are told, know that it is your decision. However, again I urge you to use the lead system - that's why it is there.

Good luck!

*my computer is in a room with sleeping people and on this one the cap for m and x won't work - ugg!

flemings99 said:
Welcome!

If it was me, I wouldn't tell her you were planning on signing. If she hasn't done a great job host coaching she might not even ask if you are interested. You'll avoid an uncomfortable situation. If she already knows you are interested that may be a different story.

I hosted a show 2 months prior to signing up. Couldn't stand the person who did my show and as a result went through the home office leads system to find a different person in the area to sign under.

I only give my host 2 catalogs, unless they request more. Most people have the Internet and can shop on-line @ the consultant's website or pamperedchef.com to see the catalog. As far as texting, I don't subscribe to it so I wouldn't have responded by text but she could have called or e-mailed you back.

Best wishes!

I would have happily emailed except she has some spam guard that would not let me in. when i left her a voice message she never responded.

She is supposed to call today. the chips will fall where they may. as for catalogs, my people are so spread out that i specifically need 6. i really want a profitable party. i am very excited about this endeavor

Oh , and since i was never host coached i know nothing about how to have my outside orders go through her site and apply to my party

Make sure you are comfortable with whomever you sign under. It will make a world of difference. Why wouldn't you make this show your first show? Just a thought. That is what I would coach you to do if you were signing under me.

Good luck and follow your heart.

First of all (((hugs)))! Sorry that you are so frustrated. I don't give out a lot of catalogs at first either. I give 1 for the host & 3 to hand out to guests, so 4 in the packet. If they ask for more, I'm willing to give more. But as a general rule, we ususally don't hand out 10-15 per host because of the cost. ;)

And I totally agree, that you probably want to look for someone else. I made the mistake of encouraging someone on this forum to talk to her potential recruiter & work it out before jumping ship and choosing a new consultant and it turned out to not be a good move for her. Now I feel bad that I encouraged her to try to work it out vs going with her heart. So, go with what your heart tells you to do!!! ;)

There's no right/wrong way to sign. Some like to take the kit credit. I don't think anyone in my downline has ever done that. We offer to let them purchase the kit, then use their first show as THEIR show. So they get the host benefits and the commission check - as well as having a jump start on reaching their $1,250 goal to qualify and it helps them to earn more New Consultant Rewards. If you are able to find a supportive recruiter close by, they could come with you and be there to help answer any questions you might have. Sort of an on-the-job training! :D But you don't necessarily HAVE to have someone close by. The military just moved me to Tokyo and I have 1 recruit here. The other 36 are at least a 3 hour plane ride away or on the other side of the world in the US. You don't have to be able to touch your recruiter to have support. You can choose someone who you think will take the time to answer your questions in a timely manner & be supportive - then go from there! ;)

Good Luck! If you have any questions, this forum is definitely the place to go. There is always someone who's more than happy to jump in & answer a question. :D

harleychef said:
Oh , and since i was never host coached i know nothing about how to have my outside orders go through her site and apply to my party

They can also just view a catalog online and let you know their order. To go through her website, they'll click Shop Online in the lower left corner. Then they will put your name in Option 1. That will get them to your show (as long as she's put it on her website!).

Sorry, I forgot the website answer! ;) Yes, wadesgirl is right. Just go to her web page, click "shop online" and enter your name to see if she has a show built for you. She should have sent you a link with the host password so that you could sign in as the host & send out online invitations. You can still ask for that if you plan to stick with her.

Host Coaching:
  • Tell everyone! The more you tell, the better you will do. If you market to 5 people, you'll get the results of marketing to 5 people. If you market to 40, you'll get the results of 40. What if you marketed to 100? ;)
  • If they say they can't come, ask if they would like to place an order. Many will say YES!
  • If they say they are coming, call them 2 days before the show & tell them that you are excited to see them on [day] at [time]. Even if you do it when they are not home so you don't get tied up on the phone for hours! You can just leave a quick "Hey I'm looking forward to seeing you on Saturday at 6PM for my Pampered Chef show! We will be making _____ ..." It's a quick reminder that they said they were coming. Life can get in the way & sometimes people who said YES 7-10 days ago have already forgotten by the time the show starts. So remind them!
  • If they said they were coming & didn't make it, follow up with them! Call them or bring it up when you see them in person & tell them you were sorry that they were not able to make it, mention how much fun it was & ask if they would still like to place an order. Many will say YES!
  • You can market to your friends/family across the country! They don't have to be close enough to attend to order. The ones in your town can do ship-to-host to save on shipping charges. The ones out of town can pay direct shipping rates to have the order delivered to their front door. If you have friends/family on overseas military bases, they can order too!
  • Don't tell your guests "you don't have to order, just come & have fun" - you do want them to have fun, but you are hosting to earn lots of things for free & at a discount, so they need to order for you to reap the rewards! ;)

I hope you are going to make this your 1st show you will be so happy you did . This is such a great way to introduce yourself to your guests as there NEW PAMPERED CHEF consultant ,as as there friend they will want to help you in your new business that you are starting.

I have found that consultants that take the kit credit and the want to have a show become hard becuase they just came to your show that you just had . I also have no one in my downline that have taken the credit either.I even ask my host the night of ther show if they want to make the show that is about to start there own . All we have to do is order the kit that can even be done the next day if it has to be .

Most important thing to remember is to love what you do and have fun. Please don't stress over this if you feel she is not the right director then don't have her as your director . I love to talk to each and every one on my team members all 14 they all have different goals and work the business that fits into there life , but I think my training is all the same they do what works for them and there family

From personal experience, I can tell you that having a director you don't like or doesn't stand beside you really hurts your business. This is my second time with PC. My first shot was with a director that didn't respond to texts, emails, or calls. She also held no meetings so I was "left out to dry". I intentially didn't submit a show for 6 months so I could rejoin under someone that helped me. The peson you sign under makes commission off of you along with other bonuses so I encourage you tosign under someone you hit it off with & wouldn't mind getting paid from your hard-work. I've you want to chat, you can email me at [email protected]. I'd be happy to tell you more about my experiences with my 1st & 2nd time join & what a difference a good director makes! Best of luck!

I want to thank all of you for being so helpful an supportive. you can see my great news under my new thread "problem solved" I am sooo happy

I see your problem was solved, but I'm still posting for anyone in a similar situation in the future!
harleychef said:
This sounds like my story. Please believe me, if you feel this way now, it probably won't get better. I've been a consultant 2 months, and the my director/recruiter only contacts me once in a while., like when she finds out that I've earned PC dollars. It feels very obligatory. She does respond to direct requests, but that's about it. Her upline was helpful, but she's moving. Read ShelbyMicalek's thread on quitting and then re-signing. I'm not ready to do that, but...... I read it to my partner, and we both though, "hmmmm..."There are some great consultants here, and many of them have already helped me so much more, just through CS, than my recruiter. And then there are the ones who have gone beyond that, on email, phone, and even FB. Any one of them would be a better recruiter than what you describe.Some of the posters are worried about the kit credit. I think a good recruiter is worth more than $40 any day!!I really agree with the person who wrote that you should interview potential recruiters. Just as you would choose carefully about the company you work with, choose the recruiter carefully.

(((hugs))) Marghi! I'm sorry that you are so unhappy!!! :(

Shelby was a different story ... the military had moved her and she was 2 weeks away from her 6 month mark and loosing her consultant status. She didn't intentionally go inactive for 6 months, it was the cost of being a military wife & being moved across the country to a temporary location & then again to a new location. She only had 2 more weeks and decided it was worth it to wait that long & start over in a new downline with New Consultant Rewards again vs jumping through hoops to get in the $150 before that 2 week deadline to restart her 6-month clock. ;)

This is very true, and thank you Sheila & Marghi for telling my story :D
I was very fortunate that the military disrupted my life! I was under a director that barely paid attention. I got her once a month email that she sent to all consultants but never anything personal. Ever.
My life has changed for the better with a new upline and a new chance. It has been a blessing.
And P.S. I've never actually "met" anyone in my upline yet :) I signed under a great friend that I met right here on this forum and have "known" for only one year [Sheila] but I'm more happy and more comfortable than I ever was with my other recruiter and director.

If you're curious, the thread about my story is here.
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/just-thought-you-all-should-know-65798/

Sheila, thank you so much sweetie, but no worries. Really, you and others here, I won't name names because I don't want to leave anyone out, have been so great that I am loving my PC business a ton!

I'm really not unhappy, but it is a cautionary tale about getting the recruiter you need.

In truth, all of us are in business for ourselves, and thanks to CS I am not in business BY myself. If I had it to do over, I might do it differently, but in reality, I am having a good time. Sometimes I just have to be my own recruiter and coach, but with the training on line thru PC, and all I get from here I am really meeting my goals and having a great time. BUT the time to think about all that is before one signs.

Would I go inactive? no, I doubt it. I just would advise someone considering PC to do what's best for them and not worry about being polite or whatever. I didn't want to offend anyone, but maybe that's not a good reason for a business decision (lol!)

love you all, and one of the things I am thankful for is all my CS cluster! And PC.

And we love you Marghi. :D

You have been doing great, and I'm glad you have found support here. Keep rocking and rolling!

BlueMoon said:
Sheila, thank you so much sweetie, but no worries. Really, you and others here, I won't name names because I don't want to leave anyone out, have been so great that I am loving my PC business a ton!

I'm really not unhappy, but it is a cautionary tale about getting the recruiter you need.

In truth, all of us are in business for ourselves, and thanks to CS I am not in business BY myself. If I had it to do over, I might do it differently, but in reality, I am having a good time. Sometimes I just have to be my own recruiter and coach, but with the training on line thru PC, and all I get from here I am really meeting my goals and having a great time. BUT the time to think about all that is before one signs.

Would I go inactive? no, I doubt it. I just would advise someone considering PC to do what's best for them and not worry about being polite or whatever. I didn't want to offend anyone, but maybe that's not a good reason for a business decision (lol!)

love you all, and one of the things I am thankful for is all my CS cluster! And PC.

Love you too, Marghi! Your excitement for your business, and the way you went after it...even before you actually signed :) has always brought a smile to my face!

1. Is it worth joining as a consultant without the right recruiter?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and motivation. While having a supportive and responsive recruiter can be beneficial, it is not a guarantee of success. As a consultant, you have the opportunity to build your own business and network, regardless of your recruiter's involvement.

2. Should I still become a consultant if I am not satisfied with my current recruiter's efforts?

If you are passionate about the products and believe you have the drive to succeed, then it may still be worth becoming a consultant. You can always reach out to other consultants or the company itself for support and guidance. Remember, your success is ultimately in your hands.

3. How important is host coaching for a successful party?

Host coaching is an essential part of a successful party. It involves working closely with the host to ensure they are prepared, motivated, and knowledgeable about the products. Without proper host coaching, the party may not run smoothly and could result in lower sales.

4. What can I do if I live in a rural area with limited contacts for hosting parties?

As a consultant, you have the flexibility to host parties in different locations, such as community centers, churches, or even online. You can also reach out to friends and family who live in more populated areas to host parties for you. Additionally, you can leverage social media to reach a larger audience and generate outside orders.

5. How can I make the most of my consultant experience despite challenges with my recruiter?

Focus on building relationships with your customers and providing excellent customer service. Utilize all available resources, such as training materials and support from other consultants. Consider attending company events and conferences to network and learn from successful consultants. Remember, your success is not solely dependent on your recruiter, but on your own efforts and determination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie4PC
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefmeg
  • ivykeep
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
tlennhoff
  • finley1991