• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Voluntary Evacuaton of Military Dependents Here in Japan

In summary, the President of the United States authorized a voluntary departure of dependents from Japan today. Air Force cargo passenger planes will land on Atsugi, Narita, and Yokota over the next 24 hours, and civilian airliners will be brought in to move the people out. There are plans to take the people to a shelter in Korea, but people who are more stressed are allowed to leave first.
Seriously, how great is this little Pampered Chef community opening up their houses to people they haven't met yet? LOVE IT!

It is amazing isn't it? Love it.

pattikake said:
I'm in Vermont and our home is open if for some reason you end up over on this side!! And it's sugarin' season, so have lots of freshly made maple syrup!

Forget Sheila. I'm coming!!! My uncle sugars in CT and always hooks me up with his homemade maple sugar candy. Mmmmmm.

Becca_in_MD said:
Forget Sheila. I'm coming!!! My uncle sugars in CT and always hooks me up with his homemade maple sugar candy. Mmmmmm.

LMAO..I was thinking the same thing..but didn't want to say it.

Sheila I doubt they would drop you in Central PA..but if so..you are welcome at our place.

Ladies - would love to have helpers, um I mean visitors!! This is our first year doing it by ourselves and it is much more work than I thought! But the end result is simply worth it.

Sheila, I know you'll probably be on the west coast, but if you end up in NE Florida, just holler. :)

We're in Albuquerque, NM (Kirtland AFB)...give me a shout if you somehow end up here!

Keep us posted! We're in Raleigh, in case you end up here :)

Do ya know ... where you're going to?I'd offer to host you in Ohio but I'm going to be running like a chicken with my head cut off this weekend .... and there's not much room in my house though I'd gladly make some. But sorry, won't post a phone number online. And I think you're right when you predicted the west coast.

When they say cheffer's are the nicest bunch of people, we know it's the truth! Just like posted earlier, we just open our hearts and doors to a fellow cheffer welcoming them with love. Can't we all just feel the love on this site...what a wonderful feeling
May the Angels travel with you and your boys Sheila.

Last edited:
It seems you haven't yet posted your destination (I'm too tired to figure out the time difference right now). If you land at Dulles (Virginia, airport code IAD), call me at 703-296-9100

I've been praying for you, your family, and the other US military personnel since I first heard the news.

If you happen to end up in Cleveland, you are welcome here. Safe travels!

Sheila said:
Thanks everyone! I'm from Dallas, so lots of family & friends in that area.

Well, then, call John. He's close to West Allis. (Say it really fast.)

It's almost 11:30 AM here now. We went to the meeting & learned how we will get to the planes. They are dividing us in to groups & we should have the list in a few hours as to which group & what time we will leave this afternoon or tomorrow morning. They have several categories and I'm in category 1, but each category is divided into sub-groups. So I don't know if I'll be 1A, 1B, 1C, etc.The group getting us to the planes is NOT the group taking us to the states. The group taking us to the states has not yet told this group where we are going! :(No way for us to make plans yet as to where we will land, so we are unable to start making plans on how to get to our family from that spot. I have friends in WA and CA who have stepped up with phone numbers & instructed me to call when we land. Not sure yet if we'll be flying from our drop spot to TX or if we'll be on a plane. I think driving would be fun & making stops along the way visiting so many of you ... but not sure I'm brave enough to do that with the kids. It will just be me & my two right now. The other families that I thought would be traveling with me have made other arrangements.So we are in a holding pattern right now waiting for further instruction. All the ATM's are out of cash, so I need to go see if the bank is open & get the health certificate for my dog. Hopefully the list will be out when I'm done with those errands & lunch! ;)

Still in a holding pattern. The US hasn't sent planes. Our Commanding Officer here on the base in Japan said he is hoping that the "button will be pushed" and the planes will be here & ready to take the first group at 6PM Sat night (Japan time). Not definitive yet. Still waiting for the official word that the plan is in play.

Thanks for the update! I know waiting is no fun - esp when you are prepared! :) Hang in there!!!! Love & Prayers!

Sheila said:
Still in a holding pattern. The US hasn't sent planes. Our Commanding Officer here on the base in Japan said he is hoping that the "button will be pushed" and the planes will be here & ready to take the first group at 6PM Sat night (Japan time). Not definitive yet. Still waiting for the official word that the plan is in play.

It must be very frustrating. At least, once the planes to come get you are in the air, it takes them long enough to get there, that you'll have plenty of notice.

Typical military: Hurry up and wait.

Sheila said:
You know it ... ;)

I am water. Someone blocks my path, I make a NEW path. ;)

That is a GREAT quote and motto. Is that your own making?

Goodness, I too love your quote! Sounds like you completed your errands alright without any obstacles. Hope the planes get there soon and hope sounds like you have some great plans. Hugs to you!

I know that it's a long shot, but I'm in North Carolina, about 1 1/2 hours away from Ft Bragg.

And of course, should you end up at Omaha/Offutt, we'll welcome you here :)

Dorothy, no. Someone was telling me once about an Asian movie they saw where they were describing personalities ... that some people are trees with their feet firmly planted, others are water ... someone blocks their path, they make anew. For some reason it stuck. I guess because I realized at that point that my Husband is a Tree and I'm Water! LOL

Okay, here's the scoop! Hubby told me late tonight that the military came around & gathered the information needed for who all was going & the home of record for each family. They are making the necessary arrangements for us to get all the way ... oooh, another earthquake ... sorry! Got sidetracked. Anyway they are paying my way back to Dallas! :D

BUT, since the stateside people haven't told this end when they are coming, when we will arrive in the US or WHERE we will arrive in the US, this end can't make the arrangements for the connecting flights yet. So it looks like they will be putting us up in hotels at our drop point while they get the final stuff done. If I'm lucky, I might sit in an airport 2-3 hours waiting for my next flight. Or I could be in a hotel for 2-3 days. We have been informed to take 3-5 days of clothes with us and that we should be at our home of record by then with access to washers/dryers and able to go shop for more clothes!

We do not know when or IF we will return. It could be several weeks or never. If things don't start looking better soon here, they could flag northern Japan as a "no dependent" zone meaning NONE of the military members can have family here. If they end up pulling all active duty out of the area and determine that it's unsafe for them tor return, they would turn the land back over to the Japanese and not let anyone return. This means all our personal property would be abandoned. They would not send anyone back for it. :( They are having the military members do a household inventory for documentation of what all would need to be replaced if that turns out to be the case. 99% of what I own could be replaced, but of course there are family photo albums here that I would hate to loose as well as some memorabilia items from my Dad & his parents (all 3 are deceased). I would be extremely sad if I lost those. IF it looks like hubby's going to have to leave AND if the military mail is still running he MIGHT be able to mail some of those things to the states, but there's no guarantee. If they do a mandatory evacuation it will be under rushed circumstances and they won't be taking as much luggage or any pets. We have to take the pets now or risk never seeing them again. (Yes, our dog will be with me on the plane!) And I'm not even willing to think about loosing all the Pampered Chef items! :cry: So for now, I choose to live in denial on that possibility. ;)

So now it's head to the US to sit & wait. I have no idea if we'll be there 2 weeks, 2 months or indefinitely. If the military pulls out of northern Japan, Hubby would probably be reassigned somewhere that I'd be able to go ... (praying for Okinawa again! LOL)

So that's where we are now. I'll get home, but unknown for how long. I have to assume I'll be there for a while and do some Pampered Chef while I'm there. If things are not looking better by April 1, look out Kit Enhancement! LOL I'll be buying stuff to do shows in TX!!! ;) If I'm still there in 2 months I'll probably rent an apartment and start establishing a home for the children.

God Bless Ypu !! I can not imagine what the stress must be doing to you and your family. I wish you all the best. I believe everything happens for a reason. We may never know the reason, but you are meant to return to the states now. Safe Travels to you and all of our military families.

Sheila,
Thanks for the update..

Shelia,

Good luck to you and your family on your travels back to the States. And I am glad they will eventually get you "home". Thank you for all the updates.

It is amazing that you leave your home not knowing if/when you will return. Is it possible for you to ship those photo albums/irreplaceable items stateside now before you leave? Or perhaps atleast get them boxed and ready to ship if your husband comes back and can get them shipped?

It is good you have such positive attitude. :)

Oh, wow Sheila, you are so brave, a true example of resilience. I'm so happy that the military is going to get you all the way home! I hope you can take a moment to treat yourself to your favorite Starbucks or something at the airport. Safe travels, we'll be praying for you and your family.

When you get to TX, don't forget to put in for your natural disaster waiver with HO. Policy Guide p. 44. You will get to earn this month's promos in your make-up month and waive other requirements. You have to request it. They will not automatically apply it to your or your other evacuated team members.

Travel safely and sanely with those kids in tow.

We can't be guaranteed that the personnel will be here to send the mail out to the states. :(Starbucks my ass! My first stop will be Wendy's for a FROSTY!!! :DBecca, my team is GREEN! :D I'm set for the rest of this month thank goodness!!!

Becca_in_MD said:
When you get to TX, don't forget to put in for your natural disaster waiver with HO. Policy Guide p. 44. You will get to earn this month's promos in your make-up month and waive other requirements. You have to request it. They will not automatically apply it to your or your other evacuated team members.

Travel safely and sanely with those kids in tow.
Good thinking!!

kam said:
Shelia,

Good luck to you and your family on your travels back to the States. And I am glad they will eventually get you "home". Thank you for all the updates.

It is amazing that you leave your home not knowing if/when you will return. Is it possible for you to ship those photo albums/irreplaceable items stateside now before you leave? Or perhaps atleast get them boxed and ready to ship if your husband comes back and can get them shipped?

It is good you have such positive attitude. :)
This was my thought. Any of those truly cherished items I would just mail out now just in case!!

There are the consultant promos to consider - the Lunch on the Go! Tote and earning free and half-price conference. Last year with the blizzard I got to redo my Feb. in May for double points. If I hadn't already earned the HWC products in Feb. I would have been eligible for earning them, too.

Safe travels! What an unexpected blessing to be going back to family in a time of stress. Prayers & hugs being sent your way.

I am so very touched by your courage and calmness.....I sent this whole saga on to my daughter who should have won 4 Oscars and 5 Emmy's for all the drama she has created in her life ( I do love her). PLease know that we are all praying for safe travel and the reuniting of your family. YOu have been such an inspiration to me the past couple of months...I wish I could reciprocate in some way...so I will just pray!:angel:

Sheila, you and your family are in my prayers! I love your attitude!! You Rock!!

I like the "water" attitude--it is certainly a good one for others to adopt as well. Safe travels as you return back stateside. We are all thinking about you and your family during this upcoming weekend. I'm delighted you can bring your dog!!

Prayers for all of you during this!! You are one tough cookie!!

Thanks everyone!

Wow, Sheila!I also would ship the irreplaceable things now, just in case.Unbelievable that they might declare it unsafe for dependents and ship your spouse stateside too ... I can only imagine how much his services would be needed! And I hope PC ships your incentive items to Texas!

We are the hub for the Humanitarian Aide. Their stuff gets priority. No way to know if we military personnel will be here long enough to get our boxes out.The list just came out. I'm in the first group of 300 to go. Many last minute things to do. I'll check in from the states. ;)

Safe travels Sheila! Good to know y'all are fixin' to head out; know our thoughts and prayers go with you.

I have been meaning to post to see if you were ok. I am glad to hear that you are. Be safe and you will be in my prayers!!!

Glad you got to go. take care and God speed. Thanks for keeping us all updated.

If your hubby needs an APO address to send your stuff 2 and might be easier let me know and then I can route it to you.

Take care and safe travels. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad that you will be able to be with your family while you are here.

All the best to you and your family. We've been keeping you and everyone in Japan in our thoughts daily.

I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee if you end up in WA for a while - I was a military dependent for 18 years and know you'll be taken care of. Bring your laptop and a power cord and keep us posted!Cannot imagine the drama you have endured the last few weeks. Water, indeed! Keep your babies close and we look forward to your next installment.

Well, they called us to come, then said NO, wait! Not yet!!! So here we still sit. I'd much rather sit at home than somewhere else, but it's still exhausting. I fed them lunch & put them down for a nap. About 1/2 way through their nap, the loud neighbors woke them. I spent an hour trying to get them to go back down with no luck. Now I have 2 fussy tired toddlers that I'll be dragging along later to get on a plane. Not looking forward to that. :(

The base hasn't put out an official word yet, but the staging areas that had been closed by the base for this evolution just announced that they are re-opening for normal business. Looks like our evacuation isn't happening tonight or anytime soon. They listed a whole bunch of on-base facilities that were supposed to have been closed as re-opening also. Looks like we are going back to life as usual. Still waiting on official word from the base. I did find this: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/19_15.html

Shelia, if it comes time to leave I say forget the clothes and pack the heirlooms, or now that you have time ship them? What a hard choice you have to make. Sending lots of good thoughts your way. Mara

Okay, the commanding officer of the base finally made an announcement. There was a military plane headed in, and they jumped the gun & started calling people in. Then the Secretary of Defense said that military planes could NOT be used to transport the dependents, that it needs to be civilian planes. So here it is Sat night, we've been waiting for word for several hours & they are telling us no civilian planes are scheduled to be here before noon on Monday (our time). So, we wait yet again.

<h2>1. What is the reason for the VOLUNTARY departure of dependents from Japan?</h2><p>The President of the US has authorized this measure as a precautionary measure due to the current situation in Japan.</p><h2>2. How will the evacuation process be carried out?</h2><p>Air Force cargo passenger planes will be used to transport women and children first to a temporary destination, possibly Korea, for 1-2 days before transferring them to a final destination that is yet to be determined. Pacific Air Force planes will also be utilized, with a goal of evacuating 10,000 people per day through the three designated sites of Narita, Yokota, and Atsugi. Civilian airliners, such as United and American, may also be used to transport additional individuals.</p><h2>3. What should individuals prepare for before the evacuation?</h2><p>It is advised to pack a suitcase with enough supplies for 3-5 days, including important documents like passports, and any necessary items such as diapers and baby food. Individuals should also plan to be away from Japan for a few days.</p><h2>4. Is this an emergency evacuation?</h2><p>No, this is a precautionary measure and not an emergency evacuation. The goal is to ensure the safety of dependents living in Japan.</p><h2>5. When will the evacuations begin?</h2><p>The evacuations are expected to start within the next 24 hours.</p>

1. What is the reason for the VOLUNTARY departure of dependents from Japan?

The President of the US has authorized this measure as a precautionary measure due to the current situation in Japan.

2. How will the evacuation process be carried out?

Air Force cargo passenger planes will be used to transport women and children first to a temporary destination, possibly Korea, for 1-2 days before transferring them to a final destination that is yet to be determined. Pacific Air Force planes will also be utilized, with a goal of evacuating 10,000 people per day through the three designated sites of Narita, Yokota, and Atsugi. Civilian airliners, such as United and American, may also be used to transport additional individuals.

3. What should individuals prepare for before the evacuation?

It is advised to pack a suitcase with enough supplies for 3-5 days, including important documents like passports, and any necessary items such as diapers and baby food. Individuals should also plan to be away from Japan for a few days.

4. Is this an emergency evacuation?

No, this is a precautionary measure and not an emergency evacuation. The goal is to ensure the safety of dependents living in Japan.

5. When will the evacuations begin?

The evacuations are expected to start within the next 24 hours.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies