• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Voluntary Evacuaton of Military Dependents Here in Japan

In summary, the President of the United States authorized a voluntary departure of dependents from Japan today. Air Force cargo passenger planes will land on Atsugi, Narita, and Yokota over the next 24 hours, and civilian airliners will be brought in to move the people out. There are plans to take the people to a shelter in Korea, but people who are more stressed are allowed to leave first.
Sheila
Gold Member
As of today, the President of the US has authorized a military assisted VOLUNTARY departure of dependents from Japan.

In the next 24 hours, there will be Air Force cargo passenger planes landing here on Atsugi, first taking women & children (possibly to Korea) for 1-2 days then another transfer to a new destination which is not yet known. Pacific Air Force planes will fly into Narita, Yokota & Atsugi - trying to do 10,000 people per day through the 3 sites. The next step would be bringing civilian airliners into these spaces (United, American, etc.) to move out more people.

We've been advised to go ahead and pack a suitcase for 3-5 days, get our passports, any thing that we'll need like diapers, baby food, etc. & plan to be gone for a few days.

This is NOT an emergency, it's a precautionary measure only. They hope to start the evacuations in the next 24 hours. ;)

Wow, you're so brave. Good Luck to you!

I agree! You're being so brave. I think I would be frantic at this point. I'm praying for you and your family.

I'm very calm by nature. Freaking out, crying and high blood pressure do not solve problems. Remaining calm and being able to really think through problems quickly are what works. ;)Because of the age of my children, I'd be in the 1st category of people leaving. Hubby & I have agreed that I'll step back & let some of the ones who are more stressed go first, then follow on the 2nd or 3rd day. Right now, they are saying possibly a shelter in Korea, then moved again in 2-3 days. I'm fine with skipping the shelter & going straight to the final destination ... but if I do end up in a shelter, I have 6 catalogs & about 25 order forms already packed in the laptop bag! And I've packed nothing but logo shirts. ;)

:d When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

You know it ... ;)I am water. Someone blocks my path, I make a NEW path. ;)

Sheila, I'm happy to hear you'll be heading out, for awhile at least. I wouldn't step back for too long, letting others go first, grab those babies, your PC catalogs, and go. Bless you!

Safe travels Sheila - and again, thank you for keeping us posted.

Yes, I too agree that you need not be so "cavalier". If it were not for the kids, I too would say to wait it out but you have your little ones to think about. Will your husband be able to join you at some point or are you going to be on your own? Also, you are right. High blood pressure or breaking down does no one any good. At least not right now! Remember, do not fight it either as that could have far worse effects than letting go if you need to. I never want to find out how I would react in a situation like that! God's speed to you and many, many blessing as well! Hang in there in the kiddo! Also, I have not been here in the last 24 hours. Did you ever get in touch anyone else?

Well, now they have put out that the planes are headed stateside, not to Korea. So hubby wants us to go ahead & go tomorrow since we know we have a support group there. Have NO clue where yet ... just know that we are headed stateside. I may be posting for someone to come get me & the kids if I'm dropped very far from family! LOL So anybody who's up for visitors ... keep an eye on this thread for where we land. :D

Take care Sheila! If any of the relief flights are Delta, my husband has voluntered for some of the relief flights so he just might be your pilot :) If you do get on one of his flights and they bring you to Atlanta, have him bring you home with him!

Last edited:
WooHoo! What's his name just in case I happen to run into him?

Well, if you end up in Chicago or Milwaukee, for some reason - (414)303-5335. I am not kidding, keep that number and I will come and get you.

Sheila said:
WooHoo! What's his name just in case I happen to run into him?

Dee Child. He hasn't been notified yet that he's flying. He's on the 767-400.

If they happen to take you to Wright Patt in OH--call me! I'm only 45 minutes away. 937-417-3838 Praying for safe travels for you and your family. Also praying for the husbands left behind. You all are so brave!

Sheila, I don't know you but have always enjoyed reading your wonderful advice on CS. I find myself thinking of you and your family very often during this difficult time. You are an inspiration to all of us. Keep safe, many prayers go out to you and everyone in Japan, and to those being relocated.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
:d When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

And then set up a stand and sell it! ;) Go Sheila!! :D

Sheila, you are such a great example to everyone on how to take this all in and handle it. I'm sure you are such a resource for your friends involved in this and are a comfort to them.

Wow! Still getting goosebumps thinking about all this! You've been on my mind and in my prayers since this started!

If you land anywhere in the middle of NYS, call me 607-387-6927. I'd love you to stay with us--we're all set up with cribs, toddler beds, etc!Gail

Not a problem here either. We have a duplex and have room.

Praying for you & your kiddos, Sheila - I doubt that you'll land in Michigan (haha!) but if you do, the door is always open here too!

Personally, I think it would be totally cool if it was Linda's husband who piloted your plane! Then we can all sing "It's A Small World After All".

Oh, and You're Welcome to all those who now have that song running through their heads for the day. :D:D:D

Snot - I got it already!

I know Linda already offered, but you can come stay at our place, too. Linda's closer to the airport, but I've got car seats already strapped into my car. :D

I would think you'd be more likely to end up on the Pacific Coast (Camp Pendleton, maybe or San Diego), but we do have a big AFB here, too.

BUSY BUSY BUSY tonight. I think we are being dumped on the west coast. Possibly California or SEATAC. We have an 8AM brief (it's almost 10PM right now) to find out all the details. ;)

Sheila said:
BUSY BUSY BUSY tonight. I think we are being dumped on the west coast. Possibly California or SEATAC. We have an 8AM brief (it's almost 10PM right now) to find out all the details. ;)

So you mean I have to work the whole day before I get more details? :eek: :cry: :D :rolleyes:

Keep us posted!

Sorry. I have to wait 10 hours too! ;)

Thanks Becky D!!! My baby sister used to sing that song ALL the time when I lived at home...at least it brings back good memories of when she was little!

Sheila--hope everything goes OK. I know you'll keep us updated when you can.

I'm glad they're getting you out. No harm in taking precautions. Also, by getting all of the dependents out, there's less of a pull on Japanese resources. Hospitality in the DC area is waiting for you ;)

A friend's husband is Japanese. His mother is in Osaka, so safe for now. But his brother is 100 mi. north of Tokyo, trying to get to Osaka. Gotta see if I can find out today where he is now.

Talk to anyone from Ukraine and you will not think this is hysteria. They will be dealing with the effects of Chernobyl for generations.

Godspeed to you & all who will be travelling with you, Sheila! And thank you, Becky d for the song in my head today!!!

well if you end up on the east coast, I have room too!!

Sheila - Good luck and safe travels.

Well, if you end up in MN, let me know! If I can't fit everyone, I am sure I can find someone who can! I have a close family friend that is a flight attendant for Delta (was with Northwest) and she does a lot of the Tokyo flights. That way, she only needs to fly twice a month to fill her mileage/time for a month. She wouldn't even change her sleep schedule and stay in her hotel room for 72 hours. Thinking of you and all our military families over there.Karen

Sheila, I am in southern CA not too far from LA and San Diego. We'd love to have you.

Not only are all of our thoughts and prayers with Sheila and everyone else who has loved ones in Japan, but take a minute and think about all of the wonderful offers of hospitality here--we are indeed one large, loving family on chefsuccess!!

Yes, we are one huge family even though we've never met! Thank you all for you offers! 9 more hours & I can find out what they will do with us! LOL

Hi, Sheila! I'm in Ohio, but only about an hour from the Pittsburgh airport, as well as Akron, and a little more than an hour from Cleveland. If you end up coming this way, you're welcome with us, too!
My daughter joined the Navy, and left home in September, so her room is ready and available, and I know she'd love to know it was being used for other military families!! :cool:

Be safe in your travels, and please let us all know when you've arrived safe and sound, wherever that may be!! God bless you and your family!!

Hey, I just noticed I forgot the "i" in the word "evacuation" in my title. Oh well, that's what I get for being in a rush! LOL

Sheila, you are a fantastic example to all of us. Your selfless behavior of thinking of others stressed, letting them go first-you are so inspiring on so many levels! Now, I live on the East Coast but in case they send you near Richmond, VA-we have a place for you and your children. We would consider it a priviledge. Bless you, your husband, your children, all our Military personnel and their families and the people of Japan along with their loved ones whom are waiting to hear some good news.

Sheila said:
Hey, I just noticed I forgot the "i" in the word "evacuation" in my title. Oh well, that's what I get for being in a rush! LOL

Of all the things you could be worrying about right now... :D

Safe travels Sheila! Doubtful that they drop you all off in the midwest - but I am kind of in the middle of Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, about 2 hours to any of them - and you all are welcome with us if needed

Same here I'm in the Dallas metroplex lots of room, just Ash & I here now.

Thanks everyone! I'm from Dallas, so lots of family & friends in that area.

If ending up in good ole Pennsylvania - you've got a place to say. 4 bedrooms and me = lots of room. =) Thinking of you!

How long before you'll know where you're going?

Sheila, I am in Las Vegas, NV area and if for some reason you end over here you and your kids are more than welcome to stay with us. We, specially my boys, would love to have you as our guests :)

Here's my contact info:
Cell: 702.755.3580
Email: [email protected]

God Bless You!!!

I'm in Vermont and our home is open if for some reason you end up over on this side!! And it's sugarin' season, so have lots of freshly made maple syrup!

Shelia,
God Bless !!! I wish you safe travels as well. I have been watching much of the news coverage and wondered how our military families were doing. Best of luck. Hope all goes well.

If they drop you at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs give me a shout - we don't have a lot of room but we do have a four year old that would love some new friends to play with. I'm actually down on Fort Carson but it's just across town - if you can stand an Army Post you are more than welcome.

Seriously, how great is this little Pampered Chef community opening up their houses to people they haven't met yet? LOVE IT! We are in Alaska so doubtful they would send you here, but if they do, well.... you know. Mara

Hey Sheila,We are in Northern California and would love to have you, just let me know. Take care and safe travels. :D

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies