• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Venting about a Disastrous Show: A Weight Watchers Story

In summary, the speaker had a show for her Weight Watchers leader, who she loves, but found that the lady outside of the show was cold and uninterested. The speaker made $60 in sales from the show, but was disappointed because the host never returned her phone calls to close the show. The speaker is planning to switch weight Watchers groups in the near future.
leftymac
So I need to vent...

I had the most horrible show yesterday! It was for my Weight Watchers leader, who I love, and for a while she was really excited about the show. Well, apparently, she's a different lady outside of the show! I got to her house and while I was setting up she was just kinda cold, and she and her husband sat in the living room watching baseball and barely said a word to me. So, I felt very awkward and completely unwelcome. 11 people showed up, which was a great sized crowd. We did the Elegant Artichoke Cups as an interactive demo and everything was set up into stations. Everyone seemed to have fun and really enjoyed doing the prep/cooking themselves. Afterwards when we were going through the catalog they all had tons of questions and were all excited about the products. Order time...$150 in sales!!! As I was packing up, my leader said to me, "Yeah, I told people they didn't have to buy anything but I just wanted them to come because we were helping you out." How that was helping me out, I'm not sure. Apparently, she missed the whole point that helping me out would be to provide income. :) So, after driving 45 miles total, I really didn't make anything off this show and it was all just an uncomfortable experience (more disappointing than anything though, because of how she acted towards me). Makes me glad that I just moved and will be switching Weight Watchers groups.

The *good* news is that at least I booked a show (June) and that person thinks her boyfriend is gonna pop the question and is interested in a wedding registry. So at least I have that to look forward to. I was really hoping to get some bookings at this show because now I have nothing left for April (not that I can complain I guess b/c I've had 5 shows in April so far). I've got 3 shows for May so far.

I think I've decided that I never want to do shows for groups of friends...

Tonight, I'll be on the phone begging for more shows! Hopefully I'll get more than voicemail!

I just read your PM and had to come read about your show... Small world I work for weight watchers as well. And Saturday night I did a show for my coworkers and it was my lowest sales ever. LOL Maybe us WW employees are cheap..LOL It's horrible that she liked you enough to host a show and then acted cold about the whole thing. I demoed the 10 minute pork, and sold two roasters. And made the Strawberry Cream Trifle a little more points friendly. My attendance was so low. Glad to hear you are changing meetings soon. Good luck with your new leader and weight loss.
I am going to skip the conference on the 29th... just can't see going all that way by myself. But I am taking your advice and plan to hit Potomac Mills later this month. Great job on getting free conference, I have the sales but no recruit! :grumpy:

Don't get so down on yourself! It happens to all of us! I drove 1 1/2 hours (one way) to do a show and only had $60 in sales. The host never returned my phone calls to close so I had to submit the orders as individual orders and eat the direct shipping charges. Not all shows will be like that. Friends and family can be the worst hosts!

sorry your show didn't go so well. I had a friend who did a show for me and when the sales were real low, she was excited. She said she thought ti went great and she was just helping me out. She knew most of the guests were not buying anything. So an hour of driving got me 162 bucks. Not really helping.
Good luck filling up your April/May

One thought about doing shows with friends and family...They are your friends and family -- tell them what is going to be helpful. Tell them you want them to help you and that helping you would be inviting everyone they know, having lots of people and telling the guests to bring friends. Tell the host that you are not going to pressure the guests to buy but that the best way to help you is by getting sales and bookings. Emphasize the no pressure, but ask them to encourage their guests to have shows them selves.

You should be able to trust your friends and family enough to go a little deeper than other hosts.

Something I have been doing lately to increase attendance is offering a free cookbook to any guest who brings a friend or an order. At the end of a PC season I order the previous season's SB cookbook which is at a further discount so it is super cheap. Then I always bring 4 or 5 to each show, one for the host and one for anyone who brings a friend. They go home with something. I make sure I mention this "prize" to the host a couple of times so she encourages people to bring a guest. I don't tell them it is a $2 cookbook...it is a cookbook and it is free!

Hope this helps

trying to get friends and family out of the "helping you out" mindset is tough! You are not helping me out you are earning free products darnit!

And helping me out means being positive and excited!

shhesh!!!

Ok end rant... LOL

Thanks so much everyone for the advice and motivation! It makes me feel a little bit better. Tonight I am setting aside some time to do nothing but customer care calls!

Do guests really get excited about getting a Season's Best Cookbook? I always feel lame giving it away because I figure they know it's only $1.

leftymac said:
Thanks so much everyone for the advice and motivation! It makes me feel a little bit better. Tonight I am setting aside some time to do nothing but customer care calls!

Do guests really get excited about getting a Season's Best Cookbook? I always feel lame giving it away because I figure they know it's only $1.

Its funny you said that about the SB. I always feel bad giving a small gift. So instead I am always giving a trivet or bamboo spoons etc. More costly, but am always worried about people being disapointed about a SB.

I offer a Twixit, pan scraper or citrus peeler to those that brought a guest or outside order. I give a discontinued SB as the door prize gift. I give the host a prep bowl w/candy & current SB in gift bag.

I always sell at least 2 SB at every show. Some guests purchase more than 1 (great stocking stuffers). Just because they are inexpensive doesn't make them cheap! I think they are great & really promote them. Plus, any guest that already owns one just raves about them.

Most people are excited to get anything free. Spend what you're comfortable with. If you get a negative nellie who complains about the gift, you can joke about taking it away and giving it to someone else. That usually shuts them up. :)And one of the best things I've learned is to NEVER let people host a show to help you out. Tell them that you're helping them earn free products and have a fun evening.

One of the best things about PC is that they provide so many free and discounted benefits for the host. I don't feel bad or cheap at all for giving, as a nice little extra gift, the current SB cookbook. I also mail out invitations for my shows, and feel that I make hosting easy - and the host gets LOTS of great benefits from her show - paid for by The Pampered Chef.

This is my job - my business - and I want to make sure I am making money, not just spending money!

Oh - and I've never had a host not like getting the SB! Many of my hosts collect them, and get a free one every 6 months when they host!

Sorry that your show wasn't as good as you wanted. Sometimes that happens. Just remember it will get better and you got one booking. :chef:

leftymac said:

What other cookbook gives you 24+ recipes for only $1?? Plus this season's is one of my favorites, it has a lot of great recipes in it. I always give the tip that they make a great gift because they are cheaper than a card that someone will probably throw away after they get it and they will think of you every time they pull it out to use it. You just write a little note in the front cover. It's free, they shouldn't complain anyway! If they do, they are just looking to get free stuff out of you no matter what you try to give them.

so sorry to hear about your experience, I had a bad show with a friend last week. I don't think doing shows with friends is the best way to go sometimes.
Hang in there!!!

I give SB's all the time. Sometimes the current one (especially if the recipe is in it) and often a past version - I tell them "You can all buy the current SB for only $1 and you need to get several because they make the best greeting cards. Your friends will actually keep it and the sentiment you add will be treasured for a long time - not thrown in the trash. BUT ______ has won this one - it's a collector's item - priceless because you can't buy it any more." They always love this.

I give both the person who brings a guest and their guest $1 off their shipping. Sometimes I offer a twixit, citrus peeler... OR the $1 off and most take the savings on shipping.

And one of the best things I've learned is to NEVER let people host a show to help you out. Tell them that you're helping them earn free products and have a fun evening.
Ann: This is one of the all time best pieces of advice I've seen here. Great point! No one likes a 'mercy show' (there's a tasteless joke in there somewhere, but I'm not going there!).

"You can all buy the current SB for only $1 and you need to get several because they make the best greeting cards. Your friends will actually keep it and the sentiment you add will be treasured for a long time - not thrown in the trash. BUT ______ has won this one - it's a collector's item - priceless because you can't buy it any more."
Beth: I absolutely love this wording....now I need to keep an eye out for SBs on the outlet!

I always give the previous seasons SB, sometimes even the one before if I have any...then sell them on buying the current one to continue their collection. In my experience people are excited, I have people excited about getting a recipe card at tally time...people love stuff for free. And if it is a smaller item, there is less disappointment for those who missed out, if you give away something big, it costs you more and there are more sad people.

I don't buy the SB in the public outlet...here is Canada we usually get a chance to purchase packs of 10 previous seasons at a bigger discount on the paperwork order.

leftymac said:
The *good* news is that at least I booked a show (June) and that person thinks her boyfriend is gonna pop the question and is interested in a wedding registry. So at least I have that to look forward to. I was really hoping to get some bookings at this show because now I have nothing left for April (not that I can complain I guess b/c I've had 5 shows in April so far). I've got 3 shows for May so far.

Sounds like a good show with a few wrinkles! :D

It happens to all of us...although I have to ask did the host think you get paid just for showing up? Maybe she doesn't realize it's all commission based (how I have no idea!) :confused:

I always give SB to host's to. I sya at the beinging of the show that this is my gift to the hostess but I am going to pass it around and the guests can put their names and write something if they want in it to remind the host who came that night and she will always remember who her "real" friends are.

This happened to me when I first started also. A girl at work booked because she was the only guest at another show and her daughter told her to book. She doesn't make much so I thought the free stuff would be an incentive for a good show. I do the show and when I get done talking about the order process she announces "Don't feel like you HAVE to order... that's not why I did this"... WHAT?!? I think my mouth dropped open - that is why I was there! The show was about $300. Then at work she was asking what I made on the show, I thought she might be interested... I told her I made $60 and she said... Why are you doing this?!? I politely told her that so far that was my smallest show and I usually made much more. We haven't discussed PC again! I didn't even ask for bookings... I was thrilled to be done with that crowd.

I make sure people aren't "helping me out" now!

One of my biggest discouragements in this business came in Dec. My show schedule began falling apart with a cancellation, a busy hostess who kept telling me her sales could have been 3 times higher but she didn't feel like it and the worst one of all. A show that booked off of a "everyone got drunk and cried and ordered lilttle" show seemed promising. It was a Christmas Cookie Exchange show with darling invitations from Nancy's. It was great and went well and then while I was taking a small order from the hostess the show booked off of, everyone walked right by us, one at a time and left without ordering. Later the hostess cried she says she did not tell them they didn't need to order. She said she had another order from work. With only $40 in sales and her deciding to never answer anymore of my calls all the way up to the deadline to submit, I pulled together orders and submitted under my name and had to deliver and explain why the show no longer had the girl's name on it.
I can't say I have ever gotten over it. I missed an important event for my child that night while I was doing this disappointing show and got hung up on by one of the customers when I called to tell her about the close date.

I feel for you and have had problems with friends hosting shows. I think the advice to tell them up front what is "helpful" is good.
Don't give up! It is not you.

chefjwr said:
One of my biggest discouragements in this business came in Dec. My show schedule began falling apart with a cancellation, a busy hostess who kept telling me her sales could have been 3 times higher but she didn't feel like it and the worst one of all. A show that booked off of a "everyone got drunk and cried and ordered lilttle" show seemed promising. It was a Christmas Cookie Exchange show with darling invitations from Nancy's. It was great and went well and then while I was taking a small order from the hostess the show booked off of, everyone walked right by us, one at a time and left without ordering. Later the hostess cried she says she did not tell them they didn't need to order. She said she had another order from work. With only $40 in sales and her deciding to never answer anymore of my calls all the way up to the deadline to submit, I pulled together orders and submitted under my name and had to deliver and explain why the show no longer had the girl's name on it.
I can't say I have ever gotten over it. I missed an important event for my child that night while I was doing this disappointing show and got hung up on by one of the customers when I called to tell her about the close date.

I feel for you and have had problems with friends hosting shows. I think the advice to tell them up front what is "helpful" is good.
Don't give up! It is not you.

Thanks so much -- it's nice to know I'm not alone! What did you do to get your booking schedule going again? I feel like mine is empty and the circle of customers I've had (I've only done this 2 months so far) has been tapped -- partly because I recruited a consultant at my first show and she got all of those bookings (but hey, at least I got a recruit!). I spent an hour calling everyone on Wednesday. I have one person who really wants to do a show (and I believe her) but can't right now b/c of a family situation, but will probably in June, but that's it.

So, I don't know what else to do. My housing association (I just moved) has a newsletter and you can advertise in it, so I think I'm going to do that. I'm a teacher, and we can't really advertise in school. I've already hit up the teachers that I know and communicate with on a regular basis, and they helped me get my business to a great start. At the high school level, we're very departmentalized. so, I can't really go up to other teachers that I never see and say "Hey, I do Pampered Chef". I do carry my catalog tote around with me though.

So, I feel like the work environment is tapped out for the time being.
I called my contacts and sent customer care emails.
I'm not sure what else to do! I know that I'm not comfortable going up to random businesses and asking to leave catalogs. When I go to the doctor or dentist, I can do that b/c I'm somewhat familiar with them.

I'm not trying to be whiny, I swear! So I hope it doesn't come across that way. I'm honestly at a loss, though. I've got two shows in May, no more in April, and that's it.

Now that I've totally hijacked my own thread, anyone have anymore advice?

We all have times like that! I had no shows booked for January so at my December shows and my newsletter I offered the large bar pan for the prize of the day they booked their show until Jan 12. I ended up with 4 bookings in the beginning of Jan! The stoneware was already on special and I put it on the host's order so it saved me more. That really helped alot! I have also given out free kitchen shows and generally get bookings when I do that. Even to people who didn't want to have a show, they ended up booking because it was free. Since you haven't been in the business that long, call up all your customers and offer something for May since it's HWC month. I got a couple bookings from my catalog tote and check book cover so that helps, PC clothing is good too. If you are ever picking up ingredients from the store, carry around a SB (even if the recipe isn't from there!), it might get someone's attention. It will get better. I only had 1 party in March and 1 in April but some how have managed 3 in April and 5 in May right now!

Keith, are there any craft shows coming up for your area? That is how I get some of my leads when I need them...last season my Nov was EMPTY, I did a local Harvest Fest in Oct and followed up w/ EVERYONE who filled out a slip and I got about 8 bookings from that in one night, my calendar for Nov was full and I reached second level of SAT! Without that event, I cannot say what would have happened.

Esp w/ HWC coming up, maybe print off one of the great flyers and hit some neighborhoods to see if anyone is interested in purchasing, offer to provide the ingredients for the 30 min chicken (CHEAP!) and see if you get any bites.
For me, summer time is DEAD and I just try to stay active...so I expect it. But, I do have an event in May for Mem. weekend and I'll prob do something else for the summer hopefully to try to meet new people.
Good luck! You can do it!!!

chefsteph07 said:
Keith, are there any craft shows coming up for your area? That is how I get some of my leads when I need them...last season my Nov was EMPTY, I did a local Harvest Fest in Oct and followed up w/ EVERYONE who filled out a slip and I got about 8 bookings from that in one night, my calendar for Nov was full and I reached second level of SAT! Without that event, I cannot say what would have happened.

Esp w/ HWC coming up, maybe print off one of the great flyers and hit some neighborhoods to see if anyone is interested in purchasing, offer to provide the ingredients for the 30 min chicken (CHEAP!) and see if you get any bites.
For me, summer time is DEAD and I just try to stay active...so I expect it. But, I do have an event in May for Mem. weekend and I'll prob do something else for the summer hopefully to try to meet new people.
Good luck! You can do it!!!

Yep -- I've looked on eventlister.com and found some craft shows. However -- they all want crafts. I could make the previously suggested brownie mixes, cakes in a cup, etc, but that means I'd have to front the money for the supplies and honestly -- I just moved and I can't do that right now. I'm assuming at craft shows that I can't just set up and peddle my wares. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for when I'm looking on eventlister.com

I wouldn't make anything, then you might have to be looking at getting a food license or something..I have come across a few places that just want crafts, but not all...
How about local schools or churces doing spring craft events, Memorial Day festivals need vendors, etc.
Look in your local paper and see if there is anything listed for events.
Do you know anyone else who does direct sales? I have found that networking with other DS consultants, some know where things are happening where I might not.

leftymac said:
Yep -- I've looked on eventlister.com and found some craft shows. However -- they all want crafts. I could make the previously suggested brownie mixes, cakes in a cup, etc, but that means I'd have to front the money for the supplies and honestly -- I just moved and I can't do that right now. I'm assuming at craft shows that I can't just set up and peddle my wares. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for when I'm looking on eventlister.com
Honestly, it depends on the show. It may be worth the phone call for you to contact the organizers and ask if they have any non-craft vendor spots available.

Another thing you can do is ask for referrals. Give a couple business cards to everyone at the shows you do have on your calendar, and ask them to pass them along. If you want, you can offer them a small gift (Season's Best) if their referral places an order or books a show.

Put up a small flyer with some cards at the grocery store on the community bulletin board. Mention your PC business when you go to the bank to deposit show checks - ask if the employees would be interested in having a catalog show to earn things for the break room (carafe, micro cookers, etc.). (Just throwin' ideas out - I don't know if you've tried any of these.)

One way I thought to help with CCC's is to do a product survey. Call everyone who has bought X product and have them answer questions to the survey. I think I have one at home, I could type up later. You could put them into a drawing for a free kitchen show. Then give them all a call back in a couple days and tell them they won!!

A product survey is an awesome idea..if you have that around, I'd love to look at it!

chefsteph07 said:
A product survey is an awesome idea..if you have that around, I'd love to look at it!
I know I just cleaned my office so hopefully this isn't one of the things I threw away (since I hadn't touched it in a year and a half!). I had good intentions with the stoneware special and calling everyone who bought the large bar pan but ran out of time!

1. Why did the Weight Watchers leader seem cold and unwelcoming during the show?

The Weight Watchers leader may have been dealing with personal issues or simply had a different personality outside of the show. It's important to remember that everyone has their own struggles and it may not have been intentional to make you feel uncomfortable.

2. How did the attendees respond to the show?

The attendees seemed to have a great time and enjoyed participating in the interactive demo. They also showed interest in the products and had many questions during the catalog portion of the show.

3. How much in sales did the show generate?

The show only generated $150 in sales, which may have been disappointing considering the size of the crowd and the effort put into the show.

4. Why did the Weight Watchers leader say they were "helping you out"?

The Weight Watchers leader may have misunderstood the purpose of the show and thought that simply having people attend was enough to support you. It's important to communicate the goals of the show and the potential for income beforehand.

5. How did you handle the experience and what are your plans moving forward?

Despite the disappointment, you were able to book a show for June and potentially a wedding registry. Moving forward, it may be best to avoid doing shows for groups of friends and to continue booking more shows to make up for the lack of bookings in April.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefJoyJ
Replies
Views
nycchef
  • ckmom002
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BlueMoon