• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilling with Stoneware: Does It Really Make a Difference?

In summary, using stoneware on a grill can be risky but possible. The recommended method is to use indirect heat and avoid spillovers to prevent the stone from breaking. Grilling pizza is a simple and delicious way to enjoy the perfect pizza, and the grill's intense heat allows for a fast cooking time and versatility in toppings. Some helpful tips for a successful grilled pizza demo include checking with the hostess for available tools, having separate stations for dough and toppings, and using various kitchen tools to make the process easier.
letscook04
Gold Member
Has anyone tried cooking the pizza stone on a BBQ grill? Well, my friend has and said that the pizza comes out crispy. .:eek:

I would think the stone would come out in chunks.

I know there was a message I think it was last summer at the tips section of the weekly bites where they said you could use a stone on the grill, but it couldn't be over direct heat, you had to put the fire to one side and the stone on the other.

OK, I try to c/p the quick tips for later references, so here it is.....

Stoneware on the Grill??
With Stoneware on special this month, perhaps you have had this question come up..here is the answer straight from the test kitchen!!!
Using Stoneware on a Weber Grill is risky, but possible. When using your Stoneware on the grill follow the "indirect heat method" of cooking. To do this, heat your coals in a pile in the center of your grill until they are ash-covered. Using the appropriate grill tool, move the coals to the outer edge of your grill leaving the center empty of coals. Position the cooking rack above the coals and place the Stoneware in the center (there should be no coals underneath the Stoneware). A note of caution: avoid spillovers as flames may touch and break the baking stone.

And yet I am back again, I c/p'd this from another board it's not on a stone, but it's a theme show pizza on the grill.....
You'll never order another pizza
When I tell people that one of the best things you can put on your grill is a pizza I get a lot of blank stares. It seems a lot harder than it really is and the results will leave you turning you noses up at fast food pizzas forever. Pizza really is one of those things that benefits from a real fire and chances are that grill in your backyard is the perfect tool for making the perfect pizza.
All pizzas start with the dough. When grilling a pizza you want a good dough that will hold up to being transported and turned on the grill. Rollout your dough about 1/4 inch thick and try to keep it pretty even. Pizza is a very forgiving dish so you don't need to break out the calipers for this one. Just keep the dough uniform and well floured.

When it comes to the grill, keep it clean and well oiled. You need the pizza dough to slide on the cooking grate. If it sticks you'll be out some dough. What you want to do is take the rolled dough rounds and lightly grill them. You can grill them on one side or both. If you just grill one side put your toppings on this side before you return it to the grill. Either way, with the bare dough rounds lightly browned, put your toppings on and turn down the heat on your grill. If you are using charcoal you will want one side hotter than the other so you can put the topped pizzas on the cooler side. The goal here is to get the toppings heated and any cheese melted before the crust burns.

As with all grills, keep a close eye on the pizzas. With the lid down you can bake the toppings to get your pizza just right. If you are using heavy toppings, like meats or thick cut vegetables you might want to grill them up a little first before you cut them up and put them on the pizza. While the grill is a great place to cook pizzas the intense heat can burn through crusts pretty quickly. You don't want cold toppings on a burnt crust.

Now that you have the basics down you can enjoy the best part of pizza, the versatility. When it comes to pizza, there's no such thing as a bad topping. Another tip is to make small pizzas for gatherings and let your guest choose what they want on their pizza. The grill is a fast way to prepare pizzas so you can cook a lot of them in a short time.

And then the recipe.....

Grilled Pizza Demo:

Tools You Will Need:

Food Chopper
Egg Slicer
Ultimate Slice & Grate
Baker’s Roller
Flour/Sugar Shaker
Kitchen Shears
Sharpening Knives
Pizza Cutter
Cutting Boards –2
Kitchen Scraper
Hold ‘N Slice
Covered Micro Cooker
BBQ Turner, Tongs, Fork
Pastry Brush or BBQ Basting Brush
Small Colander Bowl (for olives)

Tips for a Great Demo:

§ Check with hostess to see what tools she has that can also be used. It is helpful to have more than one cutting board, knife, flour/sugar shaker, Baker’s roller and chopper.
§ Have separate stations set up for rolling out dough and toppings, and let guests prepare their own crust and toppings:

1. Dough Rolling Station – Cutting board, F/S Shaker, and Baker’s Roller (Prepare pizza dough into individual-size balls ahead of time)
2. Cheese Grating Station (keep the cheese in the mini Chillzanne Bowl)
3. Food Chopper – peppers, onions, ham
4. Egg Slicer – Olives, Mushrooms
5. Ultimate Slice & Grate – Pepperoni, onion

§ Begin your demo in the usual way with introductions. Then explain how the evening will work (i.e. stations) and explain briefly the Major tools they will be using. Add 2 garlic cloves to sauce in Covered Micro-Cooker.
§ Instruct your guests to prepare their dough first and bring to you at the grill. It can be grilling while they go back to the stations and get their toppings ready. Wait until you have about 6 people ready to go and place dough on grill. That way, you won’t be opening and closing the grill so often and the pizzas will get done better.
§ Take the sauce and be ready for guests at the grill. Have the pizza sauce in the Covered Micro-Cooker (it’s unbreakable) and have guests use the Pastry Brush (or you do) to brush pizza sauce on their pizzas once the dough has slightly grilled. Then have them add the cheese and the toppings they have prepared. Do 6 to 8 pizzas at a time.
§ You can incorporate Pantry into your demo by adding some Italian Seasoning when making the crust. Tell guests how you made the crust. Or let guests sprinkle a little on top of their pizza.
§ While guests are eating their pizzas, have them gather back at demonstration table and watch you demo a quick dessert. Talk about other summer theme shows and recipes, and booking a show. Close show, give ordering instructions, and have them complete survey slips.

Pizza recipe for pizza on the grill.

1-cup warm water
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 package instant, rapid-rise yeast
Or one recipe for pizza dough from bread machine
1 large jar pizza sauce
16 oz. block mozzarella cheese
TOPPINGS: (Choose whatever you like)
Onion Peppers
Mushroom Ham
Olives Pineapple
Pepperoni

Variations:
White Sauce; Garlic, Italian Seasoning, Olive Oil

If making by hand, combine ingredients and knead well. Place dough in well-oiled bowl to rise. When dough is doubled in size, punch dough down. Shape dough into individual sized crusts. Place on grill. Close the lid. When grill marks form in one direction (about 2 - 3 minutes) give it a quarter turn. Cook until browned, about another 30 seconds to one minute; flip (Bar-B-Tongs are great here) and top with sauce, cheese and toppings. Close lid. Pizza is ready when the cheese is melted and the bottom crust is brown.

Enjoy and it's always better served with a nice beverage...(ex. wine, Margarita, Daiquiri, you get the idea...)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I would think the stone would come out in chunks.

Me too...I wonder if it would be under warrenty:rolleyes:

Thanks Jennifer for that info!:)

I have tried making it with a bobali(sp?) crust. I think that the recipe is in the PC grilling cookbook.

Hi there! Yes, I have tried using a pizza stone on the BBQ grill and I can confirm that it does make a difference in the texture of the pizza. The stone helps to evenly distribute heat and absorb excess moisture, resulting in a crispy crust. It's a great way to add some extra flavor to your grilled pizzas. Happy grilling!

1. Can I use stoneware on a gas or charcoal grill?

Yes, stoneware can be used on both gas and charcoal grills. Just make sure to follow the instructions for preheating and placement of the stoneware on the grill.

2. Do I need to season my stoneware before using it on the grill?

No, stoneware does not need to be seasoned before using it on the grill. However, it is recommended to lightly grease the stoneware with cooking oil before each use to prevent food from sticking.

3. Can I use stoneware on a high heat setting on the grill?

No, stoneware should not be used on high heat settings on the grill. It is recommended to use stoneware on medium heat or lower to prevent the risk of cracking or breaking.

4. How do I clean stoneware after using it on the grill?

After using stoneware on the grill, let it cool down completely before cleaning. Use warm water and a nylon scraper to remove any food residue. Do not use soap or place stoneware in the dishwasher. Allow stoneware to air dry completely before storing.

5. Can I use stoneware for all types of food on the grill?

Yes, stoneware can be used for a variety of foods on the grill including vegetables, meats, and even desserts. Just make sure to follow the cooking times and temperatures recommended for each type of food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefDi
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • AmynPC
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
AmynPC
  • bridgetbakes