• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using Software to Do Your Taxes?

In summary, anyone successfully use a home software like Turbo Tax to do their taxes? Some people find that professional help is necessary if taxes were not filed in 2008 or 2009. Turbo Tax is a popular software for doing taxes. It is easy to use and has questions that help guide you through the process. The software can be purchased and used again in the future.
jcsmilez
Gold Member
Anyone successfully use a home software like Turbo Tax to do their taxes? I am ashamed to admit that we have not filed for 2008 or 2009. I just discovered that I could pick up all my W-2 information from the IRS and now have everything together and am ready to tackle this again. I am a substitute teacher in addition to Pampered Chef and have a cazillion W-2's plus the 1099 which makes going to anyone expensive and complicated. I'd love to know your suggestions as we need to get this done quickly, correctly, and affordably.

Thanks!

My husband and I have used Turbo Tax exclusively the last 10+ yrs. It is very simple. It asks you questions each step of the way to help you find the proper deductions.Not sure how it would handle your past two years unfiled taxes though. You may want to seek professional help on that. Otherwise it could cost you far more from the IRS penalties and worse if you don't get it right.

I second finding professional help if you haven't filed. That being said, I've also used Turbo Tax for probably 10 years. It's nice to have it all backed up on their system as long as I keep using it.

I *LOVE* Turbo Tax. (Can ya tell?) If you put all the info in P3 that you should be tracking-mileage, expenses etc..., all you need to do is run a report then input the info into Turbo Tax. I like the way the program walks me thru things and asks questions.

About the prior year taxes, you might be able to file thru Turbo Tax (double check on that) and do it all yourself. Or, just hand it all to a professional and have them file. I would check how much it would cost to file thru a pro vs. filing three years worth with Turbo Tax.

We've used Turbo Tax the past few years. We really like it.

I think the key for your professional doing the back-taxes...is being organized with your papers. I always have my INCOME papers in one stack, and then deductions in another- grouped together by type (ie- Charitable all together, interest income, mortgage interest paid, taxes, etc). I just paperclip everything together and put post-it notes on each saying what it is. Then I hand the folder to my husband. If I were you'd, I'd do the same. You can maybe use TurboTax as a practice run...but each year's tax code can be different, so not sure if the current version would apply to 2 years ago.GOod luck!!

I can actually answer the back taxes issue. You can still purchase past years editions and do the paperwork through the program. You will need to send in the 2008 return first if you are planning on e-filing. If you wait until the IRS has the 2008 to send the 2009, you will be able to e-file 2009. Otherwise you can just snail-mail both of them.

We procrastinated a lot one year and had to file two years worth of taxes at the same time (twice we've done that actually, the first time was due to my deployment to Iraq). My husband did the sending both times so I'm 95% sure this is what we did. He's asleep right now so I can't ask him. If what he did was different, I will let you know.

TURBO TAX all the way!! especially in your situation. It sure makes everything a lot easier.

**Checked with my husband we e-filed federal and sent state in. We had to wait until the oldest return was in the system before we were able to e-file the next one. The nice thing about Turbo Tax is it tells you if the return has been received and what it's status was**

Last edited:
Another vote for the wonders of Turbo-Tax. We've used it for the past 6 years, and love it!

keep in mind that the purchase of turbo-tax is deductible on your taxed the next year too.

Thanks all, I feel much better about it now. Now to dive in!

I use Tax Act....I think any of the software's will work for you! Good luck!

What is software for doing taxes?

Software for doing taxes is a computer program that helps you prepare and file your tax return. It typically includes step-by-step guidance, built-in calculators, and error-checking features to make the process easier and more accurate.

Is using software to do taxes safe?

Yes, using reputable tax software is generally considered safe. However, it's important to make sure you are using a legitimate program from a trusted source and to keep your personal information secure when filing your taxes online.

How much does tax software cost?

The cost of tax software varies depending on the brand and features included. Basic versions of software can range from $20 to $50, while more advanced versions can cost up to $100 or more. Some programs also offer free versions for simple tax returns.

Can I use tax software if I have a complicated tax situation?

Most tax software is designed to handle a variety of tax situations, including self-employment income, investments, and deductions. However, if you have a particularly complex tax situation, it may be beneficial to consult a tax professional for assistance.

What happens if I make a mistake when using tax software?

Most tax software programs have built-in error-checking features that can help catch mistakes before you file. If you do make a mistake, you can usually go back and make corrections before submitting your return. It's always a good idea to double-check your return for accuracy before filing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• elizabethfox
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
elizabethfox
  • jtjacaldwell
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
smw
Replies