• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

?? Using Pineapple Wedger to Cut Melon???

In summary, the author tried to cut a cantaloupe with the pineapple wedger and it didn't work very well. The author doesn't remember how it worked, but thinks it was because the melon was too round and there was a lot of good stuff left in the rind.
ChefPaulaB
Still trying to get details on this... for those of you that have done it successfully, please give me details.. What exactly did you do? Did you do any prep to the melon? Did you take the seeds out? What was the end result exactly and how did you get there? I tried it and I had a big mess,:yuck: with half the melon still on the rind that I had to try to slice off, half of it with a bunch of seeds and not a lot of flesh... just a big PITA! :grumpy: Then I read how it works great and has perfect slices! HOW!!!? Please share!!! I'm wondering if my melon was too big, but even then I just don't get how it would work. :eek: Pictures would be great, I seem to be a little slow at catching on :blushing:

You aren't the only one wondering how this would work! Details please!

I have cut a cantelope with the pineapple wedger. I cut a flat surface on the bottom and top and cut the cantelope in half to clean out the seeds and pulp. Then used the wedger. It worked great! So better than cutting my fingers when getting rid of that peel.

I also did it once without cutting it in half and cleaning out the seeds (I did cut the flat bottom first though). It worked fine but I think it's more ready to serve quicker when I do the seeds first.

I did it and it worked great. I cut a flat top and bottom for stability and then sliced down. Then I cleaned out the seeds.

And it cut the peel off and sliced it????:confused:

ChefPaulaB said:
And it cut the peel off and sliced it????:confused:

Yes! I don't remember exactly because as soon as I cut it another consultant took it off into the kitchen to cut it up. But it did cut the peel and slice it in half.

I'm buying a cantaloupe tomorrow. I'll be trying it tomorrow afternoon.

raebates said:
I'm buying a cantaloupe tomorrow. I'll be trying it tomorrow afternoon.

Did you get a chance to try this out? How'd it go?

ChefPaulaB said:

Maybe you missed my and someone else's posts. We have done this and it worked great.

I have tried several times at home because my family loves pineapple and it was not "PRETTY". I have tried cutting in half if to tall, rocking back and forth and with MUCH effort finally got it done. I had a wedding shower this week I cut the top and bottom like instructed, cut in half and it was a flop!!! Needless to say I looked stupid!!!

BethCooks4U said:
Maybe you missed my and someone else's posts. We have done this and it worked great.
No, I didn't miss it, I just can't seem to figure out how it worked so great. Mine was a total flop and I can't figure out how it works... I need details, pictures would be great. Because mine just turned into a big mess and made more work for me... so I just wanted some kind of step by step detail... I guess I'm just slow... I know you said what you did... cut the flat ends and cut in half and seeded and all that, but describe to me exactly what the final outcome looked like. Because my final outcome (yes I cut the flat bottom and top, didn't seed though) was 4 parts that still needed to be cut off the peel and one center part that needed the seeds cut out and weren't very good shapes after that. I still had to do everything else other than cut it into quarters, and then I still had to cut it into slices... just wasn't all that great. So, that's where my problem is... sorry if I'm beating a dead horse... I'll just give up on the whole cantaloupe thing and consider it a great tool for pineapple and nothing else. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
ChefPaulaB said:

I tried it. It worked okay, but because the melon was really round it left a lot of good stuff in the rind. I had trouble at first. It's important to cut away enough of the end that the Wedger is cutting through flesh and not rind. I'm faster with a knife, but I will still be mentioning this as a possibility.

ChefPaulaB said:
I'll just give up on the whole cantaloupe thing and consider it a great tool for pineapple and nothing else. Thanks anyway.

I want to say I did use it to seed cucumbers. It worked great. The cucumbers that I had were on the fat side, and I cut them into 3rds (3 inches or so) before using the wedger, but it worked well to get out the seeds.

PaulaP said:
I have tried several times at home because my family loves pineapple and it was not "PRETTY". I have tried cutting in half if to tall, rocking back and forth and with MUCH effort finally got it done. I had a wedding shower this week I cut the top and bottom like instructed, cut in half and it was a flop!!! Needless to say I looked stupid!!!

I have also tried the Pineapple Wedger and I think I must have received the dullest one in the warehouse :( Even my husband couldn't get it started on the pineapple. I finally cut in half, as suggested on here, and it was not much better. Tonight we tried a cantaloupe and it would not even penetrate the rind. I actually thought we were going to bend the Wedger trying to get it started both the pineapple and cantaloupe. I can press my hand on the bottom of the blade and does not even feel sharp. I was really looking forward to using this at my shows but not sure now. It sure looked easier when I saw it at Leadership! I may contact HO and see about getting a replacement.

Well, we are eatting a TON of freash pineapple here. We all use the wedger! I know the very first few times was hard...found out I had picked "green" pineapples! DUH! Then a friend told me to get the ones that have a golden color to them and very, very little green on them...it works like a charm each time now! Oh and Wal-Mart has them for $3 each! We have cut up 3 since yesterday!

Janet, you should be cutting through flesh, not rind, on both the melons and the pineapples.

I've used it on pineapples, but I'm like Janet and can't really figure out how it would work on other fruits. I guess I don't see the advantage of cutting a cantelope in half, seeding it and then using the wedger????? I do like that you could use it cucumbers (so someone wouldn't have to buy the core and more as well if they didn't already have it).

c00p said:
I've used it on pineapples, but I'm like Janet and can't really figure out how it would work on other fruits. I guess I don't see the advantage of cutting a cantelope in half, seeding it and then using the wedger????? I do like that you could use it cucumbers (so someone wouldn't have to buy the core and more as well if they didn't already have it).

The advantage is that the wedger peels the rind off. That's where I tend to cut myself. It's not all that hard. When I did mine it cut through the melon like butter. I didn't even have to rock it like with pineapple.

I agree that the fruit needs to be ripe - green fruit would be much harder.

raebates said:
Janet, you should be cutting through flesh, not rind, on both the melons and the pineapples.

Thanks for the tip - I was in the flesh but the four straight pieces on the outer part still need to cut the rind - that's where the problem was, they just wouldn't "cut" with the rocking motion. By the time I got through, the pineapple was not pretty :yuck:

Gotcha. Sounds like you might have gotten a defective one. I'd contact the HO if I was having this trouble with mine.

Thanks, Rae. I am going to contactl HO and see about a replacement. It has taken at least 2 weeks to get a repsonse to some recent emails I have sent and almost as long on hold on the phone, ha ha - but I will try calling Monday and see if I can get through.

1. How does the Pineapple Wedger work to cut melon?

The Pineapple Wedger is designed to easily remove the core and make uniform slices of pineapple. However, it can also be used to cut melons such as cantaloupe and honeydew. Simply place the wedger on top of the melon and push down firmly. The sharp blades will cut through the fruit, creating evenly sized wedges.

2. Can the Pineapple Wedger be used on all types of melons?

While the Pineapple Wedger is primarily designed for pineapples, it can also be used on other large round fruits such as melons. It may not be as effective on smaller or irregularly shaped fruits like watermelon or papaya.

3. How do I clean the Pineapple Wedger after using it to cut melon?

Cleaning the Pineapple Wedger is simple. Just rinse it under hot water and use a small brush to remove any fruit residue from between the blades. It is also dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.

4. Does the Pineapple Wedger create even slices of melon?

Yes, the Pineapple Wedger is designed with sharp blades to create even slices of melon. However, the size of the slices will depend on the size and shape of the melon being used.

5. Can the Pineapple Wedger be used on frozen melon?

No, the Pineapple Wedger is not recommended for use on frozen fruits or vegetables. It is designed to be used on fresh produce only.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Products and Tips
2 3
Replies
Views
janezapchef
Replies
Views
CookingwithMary
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips