• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some possible uses for a Salad Spinner?

In summary, there are many ways to use the salad spinner. It is great for washing and storing your delicates, for entertaining a child, and for keeping your salads clean.
chefkeri
Anyone come up w/ a 101 +/- ways??? ~ yet???
I have a few from my cluster, but I am SURE there are more things for this GREAT item. Bulky.... but great.

salad
fruit
washed potatoes
herbs
veggies
:D

It's the spin cycle for washing your delicates. Use the quick stir pitcher to wash your danties as Tom Marston would say, then throw them into the salad spinner for the spin cycle. LOL

Spin art - put paper along the outside, paint in the middle and spin away...

janetupnorth said:
Wouldn't that stain the bowl and baskets?

probably not...
BethCooks4U said:
Use Crayola (mostly water & very washable) :D

MORE MORE MORE! love these ideas!

The one thing I like is the ability to use them as Colanders and as a Serving Bowl as well as a Salad Spinner. We'll just see how often I actually use mine though. :p

BethCooks4U said:

Yes, it was more a joke than anything...I would never do it then eat from it...:D

but you can tell customers they can use their old ones as a new toy for their kids, then they have a reason to get ours! :)

I made a salad yesterday with packaged pre-washed lettuce. I used the spinner and could not believe how BROWN the water was! I did it 4 times before the water was clear.:eek:

I will never make a salad again without spinning it!! I am sold!:cool:

I used mine to sit on the floor and entertain a 1 yr old....or was it entertaining me?

Funny!
janetupnorth said:
I used mine to sit on the floor and entertain a 1 yr old....or was it entertaining me?
Thanks for the LOL's Janet. :)

BethCooks4U said:

How about using berry juice. Colorful and non-toxic :D

I took a whole head lettuce, cut it up into large pieces with salad chopper and then rinsed and spun it in spinner. It is stored in the colander inside the spinner bowl with lid on it. It has been almost a week and the lettuce is like brand new yet. My hubby and kids will go in and grab the spinner and make a quick salad knowing it is right there handy...actually, I think they like to get it out and give it a spin or two even if it doesn't need it!!!
Keeps it very fresh since the lettuce isn't sitting right on the bottom of the bowl.
PS I think I'd leave the cheapy little salad spinners from the outet stores for the spin art with paint!!!! I love doing that with the kids, but wouldn't use our good one!!!!

Here's one I got from another director - you know how for some recipes you need to drain the liquid out of frozen chopped spinach? Well now you can do that in the beryy basket of the spinner!

dannyzmom said:
Here's one I got from another director - you know how for some recipes you need to drain the liquid out of frozen chopped spinach? Well now you can do that in the beryy basket of the spinner!
Oh my gosh--I think I am going to like it once I get it!!!! I have to go to my parents where my stuff gets delivered. They are in AZ visiting my aunt and uncle till the 30th. I will have to go over just for that!!!!

dannyzmom said:
AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!
I wish I had earned this :(
I want one so bad!!!!

Oh, and I don't have a product tip.
I only got to see one for a split second.
I couldn't hold it too long, it made me sad.

dannyzmom said:

It has been sooooo long since I have made Zucchini bread with shredded zucchini, but if it is frozen, doesn't it have to be drained too. The salad spinner would do a great job with it also.

Not a real use, but it can entertain a 5 yo for the entire meal prepare period. My salads have never been so clean!

I don't have any more tips -- sorry. BUT -- I have a feeling this is going to be a GREAT seller for us and July is going to be KICKIN'. I took this to a vendor fair today and EVERYONE that came by my booth -- there was about 400 people in attendance -- HAD to take a look at it and when they found out it was a July special they were VERY excited about it.

I think it's a great gift for any gardner on your gift lists. :)
You can use it for any veggies that you want to clean and dry really!! I don't have mine yet but I can't wait. It's scary how dirty your lettuce and other veggies really are when you bring them home from the store.(I'm not lucky enough for a big garden)

Warning - stupid question:
I haven't seen this yet - curious how it works - I've never used one EVER. do you add water to it or something? My FIL gardens and I know they make fresh salsa that they sell at a stand or something out in the sticks, lol. Wondering what verbage to use to make it something he feels he can't live without, kwim? Thanks!

4kids4me said:
Warning - stupid question:
I haven't seen this yet - curious how it works - I've never used one EVER. do you add water to it or something? My FIL gardens and I know they make fresh salsa that they sell at a stand or something out in the sticks, lol. Wondering what verbage to use to make it something he feels he can't live without, kwim? Thanks!

No, you just put veggies in and it will "spin" the water off. HTH

Ok I"m confused then because I've heard that people are spinning their bagged salad and the "water" is coming out brown. Where is this water coming from? TIA ANd if it's just spinining water off stuff, how is that cleaning it? I'm so confused. Why is it necessary, I guess is my question.

Ok..........wash your greens in a colander then put them into the spinner to dry them. Even greens purchased in the bag should be rinsed before you use them. Rinse then dry:D

OK --- for cheap entertainment value...

Put your cluster drawing slips/tickets in and spin for the winner :eek: -- it got a few laughs...

OR - how about bingo balls :D

Just a thought.... sounds kinda like TKG ?

PCGINA said:

Put your cluster drawing slips/tickets in and spin for the winner :eek: -- it got a few laughs...

Good ideas, I like it sounds good to me.

I was thinking.. but haven't tried it yet, they say to lightly salt shredded cabbage and lt it sit a bit before you make coleslaw or other things... like I would do it for egg rolls, and you have to drain it. I bet the spinner would be great for that too. Doing this salting (I'm sure there is a technical term) is supposed to keep it from getting all "wet" once you mix it with the sauce or other ingredients.

PCGINA said:

Okay, flash of inspiration: This is how I'll do my DPDS during May and July! (May do it other months, too, but definitely for the "new" month and the "host special" month.

quiverfull7 said:
I was thinking.. but haven't tried it yet, they say to lightly salt shredded cabbage and lt it sit a bit before you make coleslaw or other things... like I would do it for egg rolls, and you have to drain it. I bet the spinner would be great for that too. Doing this salting (I'm sure there is a technical term) is supposed to keep it from getting all "wet" once you mix it with the sauce or other ingredients.

Whenever you are using a vegetable for a recipe, and you want that vegetable to stay dry in the recipe - you should salt it, and then let it sit for 15-30 minutes. The salt will draw out excess liquid, and keep the veggies dry. This will work also for zucchini and yellow squash that you want to bread and pan fry or bake....for Eggplant (for fried eggplant or Parmigiana). It is also the way to get crispy baked potato fries. Cut the potatoes and soak them in salted water for 30 minutes, then dry them (in the Salad Spinner!), toss them w/ oil and seasonings and bake!

PCGINAPut your cluster drawing slips/tickets in and spin for the winner :eek: -- it got a few laughs...[/QUOTE said:
I am sooo doing this with my DPDS'!!:D

I love this site and all the great uses we come up with for things... I would have thought "how am I going to bring and use the 8qt bowl and the salad spinner when I am making a trifle???" now I know... bowl for a garbage bowl and spinner for dpds! I love it! y'all are great!

I also saw a great idea in a magazine. You can put a small amount of dressing on your greens and give it a spin and it will coat the greens with less dressing. A great tip for all those calorie conscious folks!

I eat tons of salad and have been using an oxo spinner for years. I like ours MUCH better!

Here's how I wash my lettuce or other veggies:

I fill the clear bowl with cool water and put my lettuce leaves into it. I swish them around a bit, then take the leaves out and put them in the basket. Dump the water, put the basket in the bowl and spin until dry. It gets lettuce and other veggies much cleaner than if you rinse it under running water. Plus it saves water, too, which is better for the environment.

Thats what I use mine for
janetupnorth said:

I bought an old spinner (not PC) at a yard sales years ago and used t for just that. They actually come out pretty good and the kids love it.

Wow! You guys are sure creative! I would have NEVER thought of using the spinner for zucchini, but it makes so much sense!! And I really think using the spinner for door prize slips is just ingenious!
Thanks for sharing!! I wish I had one, but I'm at a loss here!

quiverfull7 said:

Salt is a diuretic (why drinking salty ocean water if you are stranded will kill you) -- it pulls water out of the cells of plants and animals. I always salt my cucumbers and let them sit for 1/2 hour before making cucumber sandwiches. (They wind up floating in salty water) -- then I rinse them in clear water to remove the salt. The salad spinner would be great for getting them dry to make the sandwiches, so I imagine it would also be great for coleslaw.

Meat Dryer for Rubs - Worked Perfect for Pork Chops!

Noodle Dryer for Mac Salad! (obviously washed after drying pork).... I'm trying the pre-washed salad tomorrow and may bring a bag with me to every show....

Thought of this one while I was at the Y with baby swim lessons (they have a machine that does this)...

use it to spin out the excess water out of a bathing suit (there is a machine in the locker room that is basically and electric salad spinner to get the extra water out of the swim suit so it's only damp for the ride home).

If you have a pool and you have guests...

BROWN WATER IN PRE-PACKED SALAD BAGS ... YUCK!!!! But what a great reason to demo the spinner. Who would have thought!!!

ivykeep said:
Thought of this one while I was at the Y with baby swim lessons (they have a machine that does this)...

use it to spin out the excess water out of a bathing suit (there is a machine in the locker room that is basically and electric salad spinner to get the extra water out of the swim suit so it's only damp for the ride home).

If you have a pool and you have guests...

Or take it with you camping. The suits are mostly dry when you put them on the clothesline, which means no more cold, wet suits next time.

raebates said:
Or take it with you camping. The suits are mostly dry when you put them on the clothesline, which means no more cold, wet suits next time.

Or if you are going to be all day at the beach or pool and change and then put the suit back on... that cold clammy wet suit is the worst!

I'm way too lazy to look all the way through all of the posts in this thread to see if this has already been pointed out. So, forgive me if this is a repeat.

If you have lots of tomatoes to seed for a recipe, core them, cut them into pieces, and spin them in the Salad Spinner. Voila! Pounds of seeded tomatoes.

uses for the salad spinnerThought I'd consolidate everyones ideas into a list.

I can't wait until I get my spinner! Then I can let the kids have free reign over my old dollar store spinner.

Thanks, Linda

Attachments

• USES FOR THE NEW SALAD SPINNER.doc
    22 KB · Views: 747
Uses I have used at my parties:

(All of the obvious and sensible ones listed here...even learned a few more tips.) But to get them laughing....

It can be used as a Carnival ride for your gerbal (can't spell it). And if the little duffer gets sick...(I put on the brake) you can stop the ride and get him off of it before he gets sick to his stomach.

If you have a hampster and give him a bath, you can spin him dry

Men...you can wash your socks and undies in our Quick Stir pitcher, the spin em' dry in our Salad Spinner.

One of the men at my party suggested that it would be good for mixing paint!

I was glad to see someone put the door prize slip drawing in here as a suggestion...I was just thinking about that the other day (everyone is saying...yeah, sure, Ann....copy cat!!)

baychef said:
I was glad to see someone put the door prize slip drawing in here as a suggestion...I was just thinking about that the other day (everyone is saying...yeah, sure, Ann....copy cat!!)

No, Ann, we were thinking brilliant minds think alike!:D

adventurechef said:
I can't wait until I get my spinner! Then I can let the kids have free reign over my old dollar store spinner.

My son has commandeered my old spinner already. His use? To spin his matchbox cars! It's hilarious!

We went to visit a grandma friend last week and what did he take along? His salad spinner full of cars. :p Grandma Dee looked at us kind of funny for that one.

Thanks, Linda! I have a host who is possibly interested in the Salad Spinner. This should help her decide.

Thank you!
adventurechef said:
Thought I'd consolidate everyones ideas into a list.

Thanks, Linda

For putting the list together! :D

Use the baskets upside down as "frogs" for flower arrangements. Use either one and the bowl and make a beautiful arrangement.

<h2>1. What are some possible uses for a Salad Spinner?</h2><p>A salad spinner can be used for washing and drying various types of produce, such as salad greens, fruits, potatoes, herbs, and vegetables. It can also be used to remove excess water from canned or thawed foods.</p><h2>2. Can a Salad Spinner be used for anything other than salads?</h2><p>Yes, a salad spinner can be used for a variety of purposes. Some people have found creative uses for it, such as drying delicate lingerie or hand-washed delicates, making homemade butter, and even separating egg yolks from whites.</p><h2>3. How does a Salad Spinner work?</h2><p>A Salad Spinner typically consists of a bowl, a colander, and a lid with a spinning mechanism. To use it, simply place the wet produce in the colander, cover with the lid, and spin the handle. The spinning motion will force the water out of the produce and into the bowl, leaving you with dry, clean produce.</p><h2>4. Is a Salad Spinner easy to clean?</h2><p>Yes, most Salad Spinners are dishwasher safe and can be easily disassembled for thorough cleaning. It is recommended to clean it after each use to prevent bacteria buildup.</p><h2>5. Are there any other ways to use a Salad Spinner that I may not have thought of?</h2><p>There are endless possibilities for using a Salad Spinner. Some people have used it to dry wet paintbrushes, remove excess water from freshly washed clothes, and even spin pizza dough. With a little creativity, the uses for a Salad Spinner are endless.</p>

1. What are some possible uses for a Salad Spinner?

A salad spinner can be used for washing and drying various types of produce, such as salad greens, fruits, potatoes, herbs, and vegetables. It can also be used to remove excess water from canned or thawed foods.

2. Can a Salad Spinner be used for anything other than salads?

Yes, a salad spinner can be used for a variety of purposes. Some people have found creative uses for it, such as drying delicate lingerie or hand-washed delicates, making homemade butter, and even separating egg yolks from whites.

3. How does a Salad Spinner work?

A Salad Spinner typically consists of a bowl, a colander, and a lid with a spinning mechanism. To use it, simply place the wet produce in the colander, cover with the lid, and spin the handle. The spinning motion will force the water out of the produce and into the bowl, leaving you with dry, clean produce.

4. Is a Salad Spinner easy to clean?

Yes, most Salad Spinners are dishwasher safe and can be easily disassembled for thorough cleaning. It is recommended to clean it after each use to prevent bacteria buildup.

5. Are there any other ways to use a Salad Spinner that I may not have thought of?

There are endless possibilities for using a Salad Spinner. Some people have used it to dry wet paintbrushes, remove excess water from freshly washed clothes, and even spin pizza dough. With a little creativity, the uses for a Salad Spinner are endless.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookinwithjen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
zmom58
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Jolie_Paradoxe