1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Use of the chef hat in flyers

1. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

Here is a copy of TPC's policy on the use of the chef hat that we should all take heed to. I know that several of us have used it on flyers and at least one person is using it as their avatar.

I got this on CC this morning.

Chef’s Hat Icon Restrictions:
    You may not use the chef’s hat icon by itself in any format in any way other than on pre-approved materials you purchase from our licensed merchandise vendors or downloaded from Consultant’s Corner (for example, promotional flyers). Because we want this image and the tagline to become a symbol of what The Pampered Chef® stands for, we must carefully control its use. If you have the chef’s hat icon on your Personal Web Site, use it in e-mail, on flyers or anything else you produce, you must remove it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
    Feb 13, 2006
  2. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

That verbiage is right on the consultant's corner under trademark usage. I don't really have a problem with TPC not allowing us to use the hat logo to identify ourselves. It's how they identify themselves.

There is a need to protect the corporate identity and logo. Business history is full of stories of a company letting the trademark genie out of the bottle and never being able to recover it. The most famous case is probably "zipper" which was a trademark that became a generic term. "Xerox®" nearly became both a noun and a verb. Kimberly-Clarke is still fighting the battle to keep "Kleenix®" as a trademarked brand name and not a generic term for tissue. There is no such thing as "rollerblading" because Rollerblade® is a trademarked brand of in-line skates.

Ford Motor Company recently faced a trademark dilemma with the script logo and the blue oval. Reproduction parts for antique Ford products use the logo, and Ford, like TPC, feared loss of their trademark. Ford Motor Company was not about to start remaking parts they obsoleted years ago, so they began a most unpopular program of logo-use license fees. The license program allowed reprduction parts makers to use the familiar logos. Be glad we aren't paying a license fee to use the logos that we are allowed to use.

I AM a little annoyed that we are not allowed to use the tagline. You know the one, something about explorers and cooking professionals. I suppose they paid a consultant a lot of money to write it and create the font for the logotype. You know the one I mean, I hope. I don't want to get into trouble here by using it, and I imagine we're not supposed to rhyme about a cooking store that comes to your door anymore.

TPC does have logos that we are allowed to use, they are downloadable from Consultant's Corner and the rules are posted there for the use of same.

We just can't wear the hat.

Have something to add?