• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unsuccessful Fundraiser: How Can I Improve for Future Events?

In summary, Lisa started a fundraiser for her town's baseball/softball league by having a kick off show at the town hall. She collected orders via flyers, orderforms, and mini catalogs, and gave out information to players via phone, email, and online. She still has 1/2 of the league that does not have any information, and the league has contacted each parent all the information. Lisa is expecting bookings, but is concerned about her own team's response.
lisasfuncooking
I have been a PC consultant for 4 months ( a newbie). I have been hosting shows and been a customer for over 10 years. I am doing my first fundraiser for our town baseball/softball league. There are over 50 teams. I started out by having a kick off show at the town hall. It was required by the league that there was to be 1 Pampered chef mom to represent each team. I had hung flyers around town and everyone who RSVP'd was to receive a free SB cookbook, so that I could have an aproximate # of people to have enough food. We had our kick off with about 1/2 of the teams at the show or picking up the information to give out to each player from there team. At the kick off everyone had a great time and loved the food. I had made flyers explaining everything in detail, made orderforms and gave out mini catalogs. All the information included my phone #, e-mail and web site address. I still have the other 1/2 of the league that has no information. The league has also e-mailed each parent all the information. I tried handing out the information to my sons team and was aggrevated be the response or lack of from my own team. They acted like they were doing me a favor just by taking the information. I find it ironic how a lot of our community has huge houses and the keeping up with the Jones attitude, but won't support the league. They only do what benefits them. I really expected this to be more successful. So far my sales are over $700.00. Not alot for 500+ families. I have it opened for a few more weeks. I have a grand prize for the family that collects the most orders and a raffle.
If you have any ideas to help me make this better, or mistakes I have made to change for future fundraisers. I have already spent $300.00 out of pocket.
I am hoping for bookings. So far I have one. I even sent out an email to everyone explaining the benefits of hosting there own show and that I would donate $5.00 for each show that is booked. I don't even care if I don't make $ but I just want to use this as an opportunity to get my name out. On the other hand I have put countless hours into this and don't want' it to seem like I am doing a crummy job and make myself look bad.

Lisa,

Do the parents know that the fundraiser is open for a "few more weeks"?

In my experience, I have found that about 90% of the orders placed for long-term fundraisers will come either immediately, or at the very end of the fundraiser. The in-between time is dead. You have the people who get orders right away, and then you have the rest of us procrastinators who think "Oh crap - I only have 2 days left, and I'm supposed to be getting orders for this!" :) It's one reason why I usually don't leave FR's open for longer than 2 weeks, 3 weeks at the very most.
At this point, just keep reminding people of the deadline....

Becky, Thank you! I am keeping it open for 2 1/2 weeks. I must admit I am one of those procratinators. I will ask the head of the league if we could send out a reminder and when we are closing. Also let them know that if they had not received anything it is because there was nobody who signed up to represent there team. I am a very practical person and thought a Pampered Chef fundraiser would be better then spending $8-10 for a roll of wrapping paper. Even if they don't spend a lot of $, there is always something you need. Or have a cooking show and get it for free.

I guess my only though is this, you did what you could. It does not sound like you did anyting wrong. It was not your job to make sure all the league reps were there. It was not your job to make sure everyone sold. It is also not your job to make it work. It is not your job to walk around 50 different towns taking orders. Sounds odd but all you can do is what you did. Give them the tools to do it. If they don't, well, they don't. I just know however, that you are thinking it will give you a bad name if it does not work. And it might. I vowed I would never do a fundraiser again for any group except HWC. I did one years ago and it ended poorly. It did not matter to anyone that they were the ones who wanted to do this. I did not force it on them. I was quited po'd when it was made to be my fault that they didn't sell anyting. So I personally will never do it again. If they don't work for it, if they don't get a million bucks out of it, if they do not get off their butts to do it, it will only BE YOUR FAULT was what happened to me. But Becky is right too, the end with notice may be the trick. So make sure you do get the end date out there. Also, tell the head of the league that you will donate you commission to make it 22% IF YOU CAN AFFORD TOO. The advertising alone may be worth it.

Just my opinion....I wouldn't offer my commission....You're already out $300! Fundraisers are meant to help the organization, but not at your expense. John is right, you've done everything possible....it is the leagues responsibility to sell and remind....your job is to offer the opportunity and details, then submit the show....maybe you can make a quick mtg with the head league people....tell them it's near the end, and here is where they have to push and remind everyone! Let them know the success or failure of this venture is in their hands.

Last edited:
Sorry - I forgot you basically donated $300 already - Laurie is right - no commission.
Make very sure you have all the receipts and P3 expense entries needed so you can at least recoup some of it with your taxes at the end of the year too.

What in the world did you spend $300 on????

Probably the catalogs...if there are over 500 families? Too bad you can't tell them you are sending them a bill if they don't earn more $$$ .. :)
I would certainly be reminding them of the ending week! You want them to at least break even as far as YOUR costs. What they earn is in their hands.

A question for all...
What if you decided to make a flyer up of some of the most popular PC products, calculating tax and shipping into each items price but also calculating in the cost that you take on when you do a fundraiser?
Example: Garlic Press is $16 add $1 for tax + $ .75 shipping + $.75 for flyers, labels, order forms, mini cattys, etc.
Making the item $18.50. You have covered all the necessary costs plus recovered a portion of costs just to put on the fundraiser. I imagine this would only be if you were doing something so large.

Is that even something we are allowed to do? (Hope someone understands what I mean.)

DebbieJ said:
What in the world did you spend $300 on????

YIKES!!!!! I am curious too!!!!!

They only do what benefits them.

That's the problem. You're doing a great job explaining how the fundraiser will benefit the teams, but I bet anything everyone is thinking "I already paid my $50 (or whatever) to register my kid for the league - why should I do this extra work, too?"

Make sure they understand how the products will benefit them, and the value of buying Pampered Chef tools, as well as why the league needs this fundraiser to be successful.

TiffanyBarton said:
A question for all...
What if you decided to make a flyer up of some of the most popular PC products, calculating tax and shipping into each items price but also calculating in the cost that you take on when you do a fundraiser?
Example: Garlic Press is $16 add $1 for tax + $ .75 shipping + $.75 for flyers, labels, order forms, mini cattys, etc.
Making the item $18.50. You have covered all the necessary costs plus recovered a portion of costs just to put on the fundraiser. I imagine this would only be if you were doing something so large.

Is that even something we are allowed to do? (Hope someone understands what I mean.)

Don't think we are allowed to do this because of the guarantee purposes and the thing about not charging more for an item that what it retails for. I don't think HO would allow a charge to be tacked on for what she is out!

Sounds like the Gymnastics Club fundraiser I did in March and April! It's my fault it went so poorly and people turned in forms late thus making their orders out over a month! I love how they blame the Consultant if they don't do their part!

You guys hand out catalogs to everyone for fund raisers? I haven't done one yet, but I'd do what I do for catalog shows, print flyers. I print the monthly guest flyer & then do a blurb on the back saying that _____ is hosting a Pampered Chef Catalog show from [begining date] to [ending date]. I specifically say that they can browse & order online 24/7, then give the web page info (where to go to order) with instructions on how to get to that person's show. Then I put my contact info (name, phone number & e-mail) in case they have any questions. My catalog hosts put out the flyers on the tables in their break room at school, work, etc. It's going over fairly well!

Flyers are MUCH cheaper than that many catalogs!

What I spent $300 on....
I made a lot of food, which I spent all day doing at my house because the town hall doesn't have a kitchen. Kaluhua for the brownie triffle. I got hundreds of mini catalogs to hand out with the 2 sided flyer I made and had copies made up. I know this may seem like a lot, but my husband and I have a very successful business for over 15 years and I know cutting corners usually cuts profit and I pride myself on customer service. I am a bit anial and I try to do more than is expected of me because that is how you develop good customer relationships. I thought if I WOWED them at the party, they would want to book there own cooking show.
I have gotten a lot of support from the director and I understand the economy stinks, but a lot of these people I know can afford to place even a small order. My point for the Kick Off Party was how we are always running driving the kids around, the game ends at 7pm and you don't know what to make for dinner.......you think it is easier to get a pizza. But with pampered chef products and recipes you could put together a quick, healthy and economical meal. The products are fun to use and helps cut time in the kitchen and money at the store. I know having a family of 6, pampered chef has helped me achieve this.
Totally off the subject, everyone who knows me knows I only use stoneware and that I don't own anything else. Well except my executive cookware. I made up this saying........ Once you use stone, your other bakeware can be throw! My kids, who love my PC products and love me being an consultant, tell me I'm a dork for saying it.

What I spent $300 on....
I made a lot of food, which I spent all day doing at my house because the town hall doesn't have a kitchen. Kaluhua for the brownie triffle. I got hundreds of mini catalogs to hand out with the 2 sided flyer I made and had copies made up. I know this may seem like a lot, but my husband and I have a very successful business for over 15 years and I know cutting corners usually cuts profit and I pride myself on customer service. I am a bit anial and I try to do more than is expected of me because that is how you develop good customer relationships. I thought if I WOWED them at the party, they would want to book there own cooking show.
I have gotten a lot of support from the director and I understand the economy stinks, but a lot of these people I know can afford to place even a small order. My point for the Kick Off Party was how we are always running driving the kids around, the game ends at 7pm and you don't know what to make for dinner.......you think it is easier to get a pizza. But with pampered chef products and recipes you could put together a quick, healthy and economical meal. The products are fun to use and helps cut time in the kitchen and money at the store. I know having a family of 6, pampered chef has helped me achieve this.
Totally off the subject, everyone who knows me knows I only use stoneware and that I don't own anything else. Well except my executive cookware. I made up this saying........ Once you use stone, your other bakeware can be throw! My kids, who love my PC products and love me being an consultant, tell me I'm a dork for saying it.

It's too bad the parents weren't more motivated and didn't work this fundraiser! They're missing out! I think it's admirable that you pride yourself in great customer service....you really did do all you could.

Here's hoping that everyone gets into full gear and that the fundraiser does become a huge success from now til show closing date! also, at least your name is out there, and maybe you'll get lots of leads throughout the year simply because of all your hard work!

I think the organiser need to be the one to motivate the parents, not you. Also, I think that a fundraiser probably only works well if the parents are exicted about raising the money, and are invested in it.

I think your best bet is to try and have the organiser contact them (phone, flyer, email) to remind the parents about what they and their kids will get out of it... And that to be a success they have to take ownership - and NOT ASSUME THAT ANYONE ELSE WILL DO IT. Have thenm point out that if 50 people collect only $50 in orders it will add up to X dollars, if 100 people colect $50 in orders then Y dollars will be raised, and if 100 people collect $100 each in orders then $Z...

Hope this helps...

What are the reasons why my fundraiser may be unsuccessful?

There could be several reasons why a fundraiser may not be successful. Some common reasons include lack of planning or organization, not promoting the fundraiser effectively, not offering appealing products or incentives, and not having a clear fundraising goal or purpose.

How can I improve my fundraising efforts?

To improve your fundraising efforts, it is important to have a clear plan and goal in mind. Make sure to promote the fundraiser through various channels, such as social media, email blasts, and word of mouth. Offer attractive products or incentives to encourage people to participate. Also, make sure to communicate the purpose and impact of the fundraiser to potential donors.

What are some effective ways to promote my fundraiser?

There are various ways to promote your fundraiser, such as utilizing social media platforms, sending out email blasts to friends and family, creating flyers or posters to hang in local businesses, and reaching out to local media outlets to spread the word. Additionally, word of mouth can be a powerful tool, so make sure to communicate your fundraiser to friends, family, and colleagues.

What can I do if my fundraiser is not meeting its goal?

If your fundraiser is not meeting its goal, you may want to consider extending the timeline or promoting it more actively. You can also reach out to potential donors and explain the impact of their contribution. Consider offering additional incentives or products to encourage more participation. If necessary, you can also reassess your fundraising goal to make it more attainable.

How can I keep track of donations and orders for my fundraiser?

There are various ways to keep track of donations and orders for your fundraiser. You can use spreadsheet software, such as Excel, to record and organize donations and orders. Some fundraising platforms also offer tools to track donations and orders. Additionally, you can assign a volunteer or team to keep track of donations and orders to ensure accuracy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MissyPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
keyssizzler
  • Jessamary
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefann
  • robbiesmom123