• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is My Stoneware Moldy? Tips for Cleaning and Maintaining Your Stoneware

In summary, stoneware is a type of porous ceramic material commonly used for cooking and baking that can absorb moisture and develop mold if not properly cared for. To prevent mold growth, stoneware should be properly cleaned and dried after each use and stored in a dry, well-ventilated area. It is not safe to use stoneware with mold on it, and any mold can be removed by scrubbing with a mixture of water and white vinegar. Properly cared for stoneware should not develop mold.
jenifer4000
:confused: A past host from Feb. just called me to tell me she thinks her stoneware is moldy. She said it has little spots on it that are either green or black. I asked her if it looks like it could be the "seasoning" process and she said no.

I have stoneware that I have used for 10 years and I have never had any problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jenifer

Have her try cleaning with a baking soda paste.

Jenifer~

Did she use a green or blue scratch pad to clean it? If so, the color WILL rub off onto the stone. If that is what she did, there is no way to get it off, it will just "wear" off.

I had a stone season very spottily. It looked ugly for the longest time but there was nothing wrong with it. Occasionally a stone will season unevenly like that.

That will also happen if she dried it with a dark towel. Freaked me out the first time I saw that, but it was really nothing. Just towel fuzz.

1. What is stoneware and why does it mold?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic material that is commonly used for cooking and baking. It is porous and can absorb small amounts of moisture, which can lead to mold growth if not properly cared for.

2. How do I prevent mold from growing on my stoneware?

To prevent mold growth on your stoneware, make sure to properly clean and dry it after each use. Avoid leaving food or liquids on the stoneware for extended periods of time, and store it in a dry and well-ventilated area.

3. Can I still use stoneware if it has some mold on it?

No, it is not safe to use stoneware that has mold on it. Mold can produce toxins that can be harmful if ingested. It is important to properly clean and dry the stoneware to prevent mold growth.

4. How can I remove mold from stoneware?

If mold does appear on your stoneware, it can be removed by scrubbing the affected area with a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. Rinse thoroughly and dry completely before using again.

5. Is it normal for stoneware to develop mold?

No, it is not normal for stoneware to develop mold if properly cared for. Make sure to follow proper cleaning and storage instructions to prevent mold growth on your stoneware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • ivykeep
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
lsm72
  • FFBearPChef